Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Why do people disappear from this site after completing their tapers?

[go...]

During my taper, this is something I wondered.  It seemed you'd hear alot from somebody right before they jumped and then... boom.  Gone.  Never to be heard from again.  Disappeared from the site.  Did they seize out and die?  Did they go back up and are ashamed to come back on here?

Speaking for myself being 1 1/2 years out, I've all but disappeared as well and the thing is I didn't notice that I had disappeared.  I simply don't think about benzo withdrawal 24/7 like I did the 2.5 years I was suffering through my taper.  And I know that's the case with others who were on here around the time I was.  As bad off as I was in tolerance and the entire taper, my jump was anti-climatic and little by little I began to resume a more normal life with the waves happening less frequently and less severely.  I'm not fully healed yet (I still have 2 other ones to taper off so who knows what's what), but am able to lead a somewhat normal and reasonable life to where I don't think about the horrors I went through during that time.  Hence why I don't even think to look at this place much anymore.  Only reason I thought about it today was I saw a YouTube video of something that reminded me of it.  I thought I'd pop in to offer some positive vibes.

I hope that provides some reassurance that all of this crap will eventually fade into the distance to where you too will not be reading every BB post every second of every day like I was.  Searching and searching to see if anyone had come up with something for any type of cure/relief.  It is natural for the brain to re-balance itself over time without the drug confusing it.  That's what it does.  It's hard to see/believe that when you're in the thick of it I know.  If you're having a rough time, you can look back through some of my posts and see how bad I was and realize how today I'm back in the game completely benzo free and 2000% better than I was tapering off.  Take care of yourselves.

During my taper, this is something I wondered.  It seemed you'd hear alot from somebody right before they jumped and then... boom.  Gone.  Never to be heard from again.  Disappeared from the site.  Did they seize out and die?  Did they go back up and are ashamed to come back on here?

This is a fairly common question, and the fact is when most people start feeling better they simply drop BB and go back to living their lives as before.  This forum is anonymous so few real friends are made in most cases. Benzo withdrawal is a very unpleasant experience for most, and most people want to put it behind them as soon as possible.  Just disappearing without a word may seem cold, but it's human nature after all.  And almost everyone does heal eventually.  I've been on the forum 4.5 years and have seen the very worst, hopeless cases turn out for the best.  Some of them have actually come back and posted success stories, one of the worst off did this a few months ago.  When this woman was still on the forum a few years ago, her posts were so relentlessly dark and depressing and hopeless even I couldn't read them.  She was utterly beyond any hope.  But even she healed. 

We don't follow people once they've left, or course.  But we are happy when they return with updates or success stories.

I was obsessed with this board when I was doing my taper but I guess I did the same things others did after my jump and dropped off and really didn't think about it. Most people want to put it behind them.

Once I hit my one year mark I came on to share my success story and since then I've been trying to post regularly to help people with depression and anxiety. I see the benefit of giving little pieces of advice when I can. But it can be tough to see the pain others are in and relive benzo withdrawal by reading other peoples stories.

"Why do people disappear from this site after completing their tapers?"

Because this is a support forum.  When people no longer need the support, they leave and get on with their lives.

"Why do people disappear from this site after completing their tapers?"

Because this is a support forum.  When people no longer need the support, they leave and get on with their lives.

And thank God they do!!! We all get to graduate some day!