Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Is sleep apnea is a symptom?

[il...]

So aside from the mental sxs that have flared up over the last couple days that I posted about, I seem to have a sleeping issue. As I'm falling asleep, right when I begin to slip into sleeping, I stop breathing, wake up and gasp for air. Is this common?

I do smoke and I'm a touch overweight. Nothing crazy - just chubby from having been so sedentary in earlier wd.

In my opinion it is.

I developed sleep-apnea after taking benzos for a few years.  If you Google search sleep apnea and benzodiazepines, you will find agreement that the two are related in many cases.

In my opinion it is.

I developed sleep-apnea after taking benzos for a few years.  If you Google search sleep apnea and benzodiazepines, you will find agreement that the two are related in many cases.

Devil's advocate here, but if they're related, I'm assuming they'd be related while one is *taking* a benzodiazepine?

Thanks so much for posting a response!

I don't think it's actually sleep apnea. You mentioned that your mental symptoms have flared up in the last few days, so my money is on that. It's probably the anxiety that is causing it. I've experienced something similar: just when I'm falling asleep and I'm on the verge of dreaming, I get a jolt that runs through my body, and wakes me up. I had that during early withdrawal and even before taking benzos, like when I'd try to take a nap during daytime for example.

I'm sure it's nothing to worry about and that it'll fade away.

I don't think it's actually sleep apnea. You mentioned that your mental symptoms have flared up in the last few days, so my money is on that. It's probably the anxiety that is causing it. I've experienced something similar: just when I'm falling asleep and I'm on the verge of dreaming, I get a jolt that runs through my body, and wakes me up. I had that during early withdrawal and even before taking benzos, like when I'd try to take a nap during daytime for example.

I'm sure it's nothing to worry about and that it'll fade away.

Thanks, buddy. Be well today! Funny - I was doing so well then mental sxs flare up and I lose the ability to breathe while falling asleep. What a little bitch this thing is haha!

P.s. It came out of nowhere the last two nights. Same thing happens when I too Unisom, but I didn't take anything to sleep this time around with it.

I have sleep apnea, never seemed to have a problem with it until benzos, seems almost every night I stop breathing when I'm falling asleep, sometimes my brain will forget to breathe while I'm awake if I'm concentrating too hard on something like tv, definitely an unsettling feeling

These panic episodes in sleep are due to my acid reflux and hiatal hernia. I've had two endoscopy procedures.  I have been researching and found that they link acid reflux to sleep apnea due to thd fact that the acid hits the voicebox and induces a spasming which then prevents air from getting into the lungs.  Many years ago prior to benzos a well known clinic in Santa Barbara, CA diagnosed a spasming voice box and treatment was to shoot Botox in that area.  I refused but they never told me what the cause was. Shortly after that I was prescribed benzos and in retrospect it was acid reflux (GERD) causing all this.  I had two sleep studies while taking benzos both indicated minor obstruction but no CPAP was needed. I weigh 120 and am only 5'1.

I got the panic episodes during acute withdrawal and at 19 months off they made an unwelcomed return visit. Last couple of nights I have been taking Zantac over the counter twice daily and no more waking up in with a panic attack.  So basically I was misdiagnosed and ended up in benzo hell.

Wow, Niners, what a story. Although I'm glad you feel better taking the Zantac. I wouldn't even call it panic attack, it's like a few seconds of panic. I wonder what this means for me then?