Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Panic attacks without hyperventilation?

[ra...]

I wonder if I'm the only one who has panic attacks without hyperventilation? My symptoms are feeling like I'm dying, shakes, dizziness, a bit weak and a general sense of terror. But no respiratory problems.

I get more general but severe and long lasting panic, so I don't call them panic attacks, but they are dreadful and last for hours.  I never hyperventilate. 

Hodge it means that you are over breathing (very very fast) and you expel too much carbon dioxide which makes you dizzy, faint etc. Breathing into a paper bag allows you to restore the carbon dioxide lost and helps your beathing to relax and calm down.

I keep considering this question. I don't think I hyperventilate when I have a panic attack. I stop breathing and feel a sense of doom and like a wave of fear consuming my body.

I wonder if I'm the only one who has panic attacks without hyperventilation? My symptoms are feeling like I'm dying, shakes, dizziness, a bit weak and a general sense of terror. But no respiratory problems.

I have the same feeling as u do. No hyperventilation. But very fast heart rate and shakes. Tunnel vision. Flushes in my body.

I get more general but severe and long lasting panic, so I don't call them panic attacks, but they are dreadful and last for hours.  I never hyperventilate.

This sounds close to me. My pdoc always asks if i had physical symptoms of anxiety like hyperventilation, racing heart, but I never have. Perhaps it means I've never had a true panic attack, but what I have gotten is extended periods of pain, restlessness, fear, hopelessness, cold sweats, shaking. I don't mean 15 minutes, I mean hours.