Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Vision problems, it does not get better

[Sw...]

I think I've got any serious damage from Benzon, which makes me look like I should. no wrong according to ophthalmologists. I will also investigate the thyroid and fibromyalgia and myalgic encephalomyelitis / chronic fatigue syndrome, which can also give strange visual disturbances. though none that I've read about similar problems as me by sight. maybe a combination? so then it's probably mental. but I do not think. how I do, I look like this all the time. vision can not adjust to whatever I look at and it gives me eye pain and headache, and extreme anxiety, extreme fatigue that does not go to sleep away. think it has something with the eye muscles to do. it has become something wrong when I tapered down. it's so hard to explain how I look. Normally it is not. get scared when I do not see someone who has the same problem as me. do not have so many other problems remain, what is left is sick now and then, internal vibrations. pain in the head and body.. im really scared. Sorry for all posts

According to the Ashton manual, benzos and benzo withdrawal can affect the eye muscles, therefore creating distorted vision. I suffer from it and many others do as well.

According to the Ashton manual, benzos and benzo withdrawal can affect the eye muscles, therefore creating distorted vision. I suffer from it and many others do as well.

That explains a lot for me, I have blurry, sometimes spotty vision most of the time!

Here's the excerpt from the Ashton Manual about eye problems:

At the same time, the nerves to the muscles are hyperexcitable, leading to tremor, tics, jerks, spasm and twitching, and jumping at the smallest stimulus. All this constant activity contributes to a feeling of fatigue and weakness ("jelly-legs"). In addition, the muscles, especially the small muscles of the eye, are not well co-ordinated, which may lead to blurred or double vision or even eyelid spasms (blepharospasm).

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha03.htm

This is so ironic, because when I woke up I decided to post about my eye problems and here is a fellow sufferer!!  I, too, have vision problems with blurry vision, floaters, and decreased vision in my right eye and a dry stretched feeling over all which was so very real I got a corneal abrasion from my eyelid sticking to my eyeball!!

You are still healing and unless you need the doctor's reassurance, wait it out a little longer, save your money.  The adage about Benzo withdrawal is that if the symptom was NOT there before you started this trip, then it will most likely resolve when you are healed. 

Hang in there, I will be happy to read your post in a few weeks telling us you are very much better!!

Thanks for the posting choco! There is another member on here who is having a real problem with dry eyes, even eye drops aren't helping...is that why your eyelid stuck to your eye? I'm not sure if I should mention this to this member or not. I don't want to cause any undue fear. I too am having some dry eye issues and use eye drops regularly.    :o

it is not entirely diplopia . I notice that the eyes do not want to cooperate with each other. I know for example that there is a cat that I look but do not want to show itself as a whole. I look blurry at times , but mostly clear. but so is the " distorted " perception remains. it does not matter if I'm blind in one eye , for it will be the same " distorted " image . nothing crooked or that I see hallucinations and so on. I have written before , I have been to the eye doctor and psychiatry and to a regular doctor. and I have no eyes wrong, or some strange psychiatric diagnosis. I get dizzy and nauseous from this. and tired.There take very much on the psyche .  do not recognize myself.I get a lot of panic attacks.do not feel at present . restlessness in the body. anger that is difficult to master . but I do not do anything , just feel it inside. cognitive problems , brain fog. difficulty in reading , difficulty remembering what I read and write and what I have done . confuses me in the text , confused , in general, in everything I do . 58 days without a benzo , from a 4 -month tapered . I ate not so much benzo , only 30 mg for 3 years. very changes with antidepressants for many years. do not think it should be this bad, because it was not that high doses. little shaking and trembling and inner vibrations now and then . the sight would not see a single "image". the worst is that when I look at people and things. a little better when I read . feels as if his eyes change focus all the time. both short and long distances , even on the sides. feel as if the eyes stand off in different directions, but it is not visible when you look in the mirror . I notice that I can not look straight into my cell phone when the eyes stand out and how I try to angle your mobile phone so you can not ... this is just mentally as my psychologist and doctors say ? notice that the eyes can not keep up when it goes too fast either. everything is just weird. it's like an eye is the " dominant" and then when I look with both eyes so getting it wrong "pictures ". it's so hard to explain. but what is surprising is that even when I close my eyes with an eye it will be the same strange picture. what is it that is wrong ? but as I said a little better on the " short " direction, but not great. This makes me mad soon. I do not think there is anyone who has had it this bad ?. I have had this for almost 3 months. hope there is someone who will recognize themselves ...certain symptoms are of course a bit worse when I 'm scared , and so on. but they are there all the time whatever I do . certainly there is nothing I die from . but it is not easy to live like this. I try to shop and so on. but I can not drive a car or take care of my children. because I can barely take care of myself . really hope that there is someone else responsible . this will occupy all my " waking " life

Swedishgirl, please don't awful-ize and catastrophise that everything is permanently damaged...you are barely out of acute withdrawal stage or are still in it...Please give yourself time to heal and repair.

CeCe, yes, that is why I got the corneal abrasion..I reflexively rubbed my stuck eye before realizing what was going on...but it healed in 48 hours and now I use the OTC saline ointment at night..price be damned!!

Swedish girl , you are only 2 mos out from your last benzo. You need to know you will get better. It took me about 4 mos out before I could drive. I was dizzy constantly. And I healed.

As miserable as your symptoms are they are all classic of someone who did a CT, and it looks like you did one from zolpidem fairly recently. One of the many reasons CT's are ill advised is because symptoms can be severe. I actually know firsthand how frightening visual problems can be and how they greatly affect the quality of life on a daily basis. I personally do not think any of these symptoms are anything but withdrawal since they did not seem to manifest until your withdrawal. I know how difficult it is right now to belief you will get better but you will. Give your CNS sometime to heal. You are going to make it. :smitten:

My doctor says that this is mental. but how can it be that when I can see almost " normal" times , and then several days , I just wonder again . No matter if I "think" about it or not . I see what I see. it's not just in my head as my doctor says . everything is mental. just because it is not " seen " by an ophthalmologist so it does not mean that everything is mental. it is so easy for them to say it when they have no other "explanation" . and no I did not have these difficulties before ended with benzo . Meanwhile , I tapered down so I got many strange eye symptoms . but this has unfortunately remained . do not want to be negative. I'm just so damn scared

It has not been long enough in the recovery process to let this symptom control you!  I have been reading and cross referencing the whole Glutamatergic/GABA A connection almost all day and the eye system and this is all scientifically explainable and I swear I have not come across even ONE case of permanent visual disturbances from Benzo discontinuation.

My eyes make me crazy almost 24/7, yet I can find small improvements to keep my wild thoughts in order, and this scientific data really helps me hang on til nature takes its course!!!  I hope it helps you, too...

it 's like being inside a soap bubble , I see no depth . it's like a film that does not go away . and imagine looking through a soap bubble , things do not look normal . Maybe you know me better? can anyone recognize this?

it 's like being inside a soap bubble , I see no depth . it's like a film that does not go away . and imagine looking through a soap bubble , things do not look normal . Maybe you know me better? can anyone recognize this?

Yes, I know what you're talking about. I experience that as well and it started when withdrawals hit me.

I'm sitting here crying like a little child . I was at the store and would act when I got a new sense of how I look , it's like looking through a pair of thick glasses , o then it might look like this , like stuffy o distorted. but I do so on both of my eyes . so it does not matter if I'm blind in one eye

My sight again, but now i think how i see with my eyes.

really difficult to explain. I look kind oval , I think it's called. As a half- circle. Plus, if you see that you have strong glasses wearing