Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Low adrenaline- what should I do?

[sl...]

Just wondering today if anyone had a test during wd that showed low adrenaline?  A doctor diagnosed me with adrenal burnout due to my low adrenaline levels.  They were high when I took the test while still on clonazepam 16 months ago.  Has anyone been diagnosed with adrenal burnout, but still going on to heal?  Or healed? 

I pray this isn't some permanent problem.  It sounds very hard to treat.  This doc prescribed a bunch of supplements to "increase" my adrenaline, but I'm very scared to dive right in with her advice.  The fact that she also wants me on progesterone makes me very leery of anything she suggests.  I will not take progesterone. 

Any advice?  Anybody diagnosed with adrenal burnout? 

Well, I just talked to an RN friend going through this hell too and I feel much better that I may not even have adrenal burnout as its hard to even prove... Would likely have Addison's disease or something like that, which I don't.  Though, I'm still curious if anyone has been "diagnosed" with adrenal burnout, or had low adrenaline based on nuerotransmitter testing. 

I just had my cortisol and urine tested for the same thing! I went to see a naturopath, who I really liked, and she thinks I am overproducing cortisol. She prescribed some supplements, one of which I nixed, but the other one I tried (it is called cortisol manager). I took it for 3 days (just one capsule, I wanted to be careful, no one seems to be able to tell if this damn thing will interfere with my medications, after researching this all over the place). I didn't notice a difference, it didn't help me sleep, and the third day I took it, I basically did not sleep, so I said "okay, we are stopping this until we get tests back that prove this is going on." I am researching food and other things one can do to correct this problem. I hope we both figure it out! What did your tests show? I had my neurotransmitters tested, too.

I feel like its adrenal burnout too, but its most likely w/d if it were burnout we woukld be bedbound 24/7 due to low cortisol...if you are concerned try a 24 hr saliva cortisol test, you can them on amazon ....due the saliva test and send it to the lab, it takes a week and you will get the results back

That is the test I took- though it was through neuroscience and costs nearly $400. 

I took cortisol manager before I kniew what was wrong with me.  A naturopath gave it to me too.  Made me much worse and then I learned it had ashweghanda in it. 

That is the test I took- though it was through neuroscience and costs nearly $400. 

I took cortisol manager before I kniew what was wrong with me.  A naturopath gave it to me too.  Made me much worse and then I learned it had ashweghanda in it.

How did it make things worse?? Just curious! It didn't really do anything for me, either way. I guess it made me feel a tiny bit drowsy, but I never fell asleep, and then the third night was the night from hell. I didn't necessarily blame the cortisol manager, but I stopped taking it just in case.

ashawaganda and rhodiola can rev up the cns......if were true burnout you would know it. weakness and fatigue is so common in w/d and I have it right now..im doin the saliva test...this is the one I bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087US47Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't understand why they prescribe this stuff if it would rev us up! :( I'm going to wait til my test results come back before i take anything else. I'm up to my ears in meds as it is. I feel comfortable taking my multivitamin and here and there taking magnesium, but I don't want to keep putting stuff in my body.

I was diagnosed with adrenal insufficiency after being on Valium for 2 years. It took me 2 more years to figure out it was the Valium causing the HPA suppression which led to the hormone deficiencies. I couldn't get out of bed for 6 months until the hormones evened out. --V

ashawaganda and rhodiola can rev up the cns......if were true burnout you would know it. weakness and fatigue is so common in w/d and I have it right now..im doin the saliva test...this is the one I bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087US47Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't understand why they prescribe this stuff if it would rev us up! :( I'm going to wait til my test results come back before i take anything else. I'm up to my ears in meds as it is. I feel comfortable taking my multivitamin and here and there taking magnesium, but I don't want to keep putting stuff in my body.

Lie down take your bp.....then stand back up and take it again....top number should rise 10-20 points  that means u have good adrenals

Ashweghanda made my sleep worse than it already is.  The side effect only lasted the nights I took it, which wasn't long.  I've learned that even naturopaths can be dangerous to our well being.  That particular doctor actually advised me to stay on the clonazepam for awhile as it was the only thing helping me sleep.  She never suggested that it could be my  problem!  She seemed pretty horrified that I was on citalopram though and wanted me off right away.  I was placed on that crap AFTER the benzos destroyed me; yet, the benzos never seemed to be a problem with the first 4 doctors I saw.  Thank goodness I turned to the Internet after that 4th doctor.  I swear, I could write a very large novel on all the mishaps I've been through with doctors. 

I know Low Dose Naltrexone gradually increases Adrenaline but side effects can be insomnia and low appetite.

It is very difficult to find supplements to help when benzo's mess up the balance and cause reactions to supplements.

Have you tried TCM, accupuncture to see if your own body might work it out?

I couldnt take any adaptogen herbs either.

I was prescribed cortisol for my supposably low adrenal reserve but it was a NIGHTMARE.

I'm inclined to say that unless you have addisons disease I'd just treat your adrenals with good food and as much rest as possible (hard for us insomniacs).

I think there are a lot of people out there who make money out of our insecurities and poor heath. Most of these 'alternative' practitioners are lovely, kind people who truly believe they can make us well but from what I have learnt from two decades of illness, and hundreds of different treatments, is that you have to be VERY careful and sceptical about who you wish to put your trust in.

I think time is the greatest healer...at least I hope so.