Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

25% Valium cut, day 3

[ho...]

I cut 25% of my Valium dose, this is my 3rd day.  I cut from 10mg/day to 7.5mg.  It has been hard, but I actually feel pretty optimistic right now.  I know it was a huge cut, more than I planned, but I am dry splitting 5mg tablets.  Has anyone done this big of a cut on V?  Read my sig and you can see I'm moving pretty fast.  I know it is crazy fast, but unless I feel suicidal like I felt at 15mg, I think I'm moving forward.  Any input would be welcome.  I've also been off Citalopram for over 2 months, I C/T'd that.

I cut 25% of my Valium dose, this is my 3rd day.  I cut from 10mg/day to 7.5mg.  It has been hard, but I actually feel pretty optimistic right now.  I know it was a huge cut, more than I planned, but I am dry splitting 5mg tablets.  Has anyone done this big of a cut on V?  Read my sig and you can see I'm moving pretty fast.  I know it is crazy fast, but unless I feel suicidal like I felt at 15mg, I think I'm moving forward.  Any input would be welcome.  I've also been off Citalopram for over 2 months, I C/T'd that.

Yes, I did that cut many times before and it's a nasty one. I also only had the 5 mg tablets and didn't want to mess around with quarters so you just take 1 and a half pill. As a matter of fact I did that cut too yesterday with Clozan. It's the same equivalent in mg as Valium and today I felt like utter crap. Didn't even feel like getting up at all this morning and I up dosed again to 10 mg today, tomorrow I'm going to try 7,5 again and alternate then go to 7,5 every day. Any mg below 10 mg of Valium is like complete horror to me. I don't know if I can even do this anymore or how long or much of this I can take anymore. I need to go talk to my doctor but it's going to be the same bs I bet. This morning I woke up after doing that cut, I literally wanted to die. 25 % cut is too much too fast but seems like both of us have no patience, what to say ...

Total,

Thanks for your input.  It doesn't look like many take that step (10 to 7.5) - I know most say it's too fast.  I was more suicidal when I was at 15mg V/day.  I am going to fight it tooth and nail, I won't allow myself to go back over 7.5mg/day unless I feel suicidal, but I'm afraid of kindling. I have been feeling up and down, mostly down, but I need to be free of the demon benzo addiction by summer of 2017.  I'm 45 and need to get my life back, I have not been able to work full time since December.  I am wondering how long the stabilization period will take, with the long 1/2 life of Valium and my own body chemistry.  I will follow your posts, please keep me posted.  I would be curious to see if anyone has cut this amount and stayed at or below that dose and not upped it.  I am rooting for you.  I think doing the every other day average thing might be better, and could be done, given the long half life.  I'm with you, patience has never been a strong suit  of mine! 

I had a few cuts that big but started from a smaller dose.  I generally didn't feel the cuts until days 8-11 though so at day 3 I would still be fine.  Good luck!

I did a 20% cut from 15mg to 12 mg valium.  That was at a higher dose than your cut so it probably was less intense.  The symptoms were really bad at first, but they did subside. Keep us updated and good luck  :)

If you can tolerate the cut I'd stay with it for sure. I got stuck at 13.5 and am finally to 13. I can't stand this Valium and next week plan a 2 or 2.5 cut myself. Right now we have to go away for 4 days starting Monday and I'm trying to clear things for painters to come in. I've never felt suicidal though just plain awful after every dose I take. Doesn't help to take fewer doses so I'm at a point to get this over. So when we get home I'll try the bigger cut then try .5 every five days. Im finding taking the drug is harder than the actual withdrawal sxs. Wish I'd never heard of Ashton or Valium. It just wasn't for me at all. Anyway good luck and try to hang in there. You might actually feel better and others have cut 2.5 with little trouble.  :thumbsup: B

I did too big of a cut from 5 to 3.75 and it kicked my ass way too hard....had to re up and stabilize.....so now im going to be in the long hold club. Going to taper VERY slowly. Feel better finally today, last sunday I felt like I had adrenal burnout it was so scary. Glad you all are feeling better.

I had a few cuts that big but started from a smaller dose.  I generally didn't feel the cuts until days 8-11 though so at day 3 I would still be fine.  Good luck!

Yeah, this. I'd cut and it wouldn't hit me for a week. This stuff defies logic in every way.

Based on its half life of up to 200 hours, it actually does make sense.  But I do agree that we are all over the place as we taper.  This is a totally unpredictable process, and I am convinced the range of symptoms is infinite from one person to the next.

I switched from Clonazepam to Diazepam in one day.  I should have started at 30 mgs. because my Klonopin dosage was 1.5mgs. per day, but my first doctor gave me 15 mgs. and for some reason I survived.  I waited a few weeks and began cutting again.  My cuts were, for the most part, 1 mg. per week, but I have undertaken a few that were 2 and 2.5.  It wasn't easy, but I can't recall insurmountable discomfort.  More than anything, I just wanted to be isolated during the first few days after each cut, but that wasn't possible with work and a busy family.  I just told my husband and daughter what was going on, and they have been quite deferential.  I wouldn't advise any BB to share their experience with anyone of whom you don't know and trust.  People in general don't understand any of this, so they tend to think you are a nutcase.

Have a great weekend, and best of luck to you!

Today is the 4th day at 7.5mg V, I hope I make it through, I'm pretty nervous but going to push through.  I really appreciate the reassuring feedback, I know I can do this, it's not easy, but I hope this works and I keep moving forward with the big jump! 

You're doing great IMO Spinkly. And yes we are all really really different as to how these drugs effect us. And I agree. Never share with those you don't trust. Frankly, I wish I'd never shared with my own adult kids. And it's sad. Never once have they called to say hi, or how's it going. Only call when they need legal advise (hubby) or money for whatever they don't feel like paying for themselves. I honestly think they see me as their drug addicted mum. Not even a text. I follow my grandkids on Facebook as my kids have all the time in the world to display those pics etc. I asked my to have them bring kids over October 2nd cuz it's close the my 65 th birthday. I believe they are coming but if I happen to have a bad day on that Sunday the scorn I will feel will be pretty bad. I'm apparently a poor example for my grandkids. The joke is neither of my kids had a clue I was on any meds until they were fully grown and had their own kids. Would they be kinder if I had cancer? Anyway, I told them. It was a mistake. B

Thanks so much Barb.  I know the feeling about people acting different to you with the benzo withdrawal and judgement.  I try to let as few people know as possible, as most people will never understand fully.  I wish you the best of luck, and I will keep pushing through.  It is the hardest challenge I have ever faced, but if I can dig out of this hole, I know it will make me stronger and face most anything. 

OMG Barb, I looked at your profile and you, too, are doing great for the amount of medication your doctor or doctors were prescribing.  This is just plain irresponsible.  That you are now on 12 mg. of Diazepam (or so), you have scaled Mt. Everest!!!

I am so sorry to hear that your children have been of no assistance or encouragement during this process.  I had mentioned that even though there are millions of people taking these drugs, the public at large tends to think you are a nut job if you do.  This is just plain wrong, but it won't change.  I seriously think they need to take these drugs off the market for anyone who doesn't suffer from seizures (they really have no choice).  There are some pretty effective anti-depressants available these days that target anxiety and panic in addition to depression (although it takes some time).  Just my humble opinion.

Keep up the awesome work!  Glad we found this Board.  I think the loneliness and intermittent hopeless days are the most difficult.

Have a good weekend and keep your chin up.

Sprinkly

Thanks Sprinkly. I always have hope and yes my old doctor of 33 years thought benzos would solve a bladder infection, maybe even a hangnail. I have come a long way and feel good about it. So thank you. I have 3 support systems. My husband, my benzo doc and right here on BB...the people that do really really understand. For that I am grateful. B

I've heard that larger cuts are fine at higher doses and it sounds like you're doing really well. As you can see from my sig, I've done 1 mg every two weeks from my original dose of 10 mg and it's been fine. I'm being told to slow down at this point but I'm hoping not to. I personally wouldn't do more than 1 mg cuts every two weeks, especially below 5 mg, but I think you'll be fine with your current cut. Just remember that you'll get hit again sometime after day 8, so be patient and go easy on yourself. Are you able to switch to 2 mg pills so you can cut them in half for 1 mg reductions later?

You're doing great IMO Spinkly. And yes we are all really really different as to how these drugs effect us. And I agree. Never share with those you don't trust. Frankly, I wish I'd never shared with my own adult kids. And it's sad. Never once have they called to say hi, or how's it going. Only call when they need legal advise (hubby) or money for whatever they don't feel like paying for themselves. I honestly think they see me as their drug addicted mum. Not even a text. I follow my grandkids on Facebook as my kids have all the time in the world to display those pics etc. I asked my to have them bring kids over October 2nd cuz it's close the my 65 th birthday. I believe they are coming but if I happen to have a bad day on that Sunday the scorn I will feel will be pretty bad. I'm apparently a poor example for my grandkids. The joke is neither of my kids had a clue I was on any meds until they were fully grown and had their own kids. Would they be kinder if I had cancer? Anyway, I told them. It was a mistake. B

I had a conversation with my Father about this situation and he could not understand that I could put myself in this position or nobody could help. The conversation got a bit heated. He is getting pretty old but is still very intelligent.

I left the conversation with "read the Ashton Manual if you want to find out"

He called the next day and apologized, he had read the Ashton manual and found out that he was also taking a benzo for sleep for the last 6 years.

He said it has never been a problem but admitted he has never tried to stop taking it.

Point is. most of us were duped by the doctors and never expected what we got.

Well today was my 5th day at 7.5mg.  It of course has been very tough, but I am not going to go backward.  My anxiety levels have been higher, and the depression has been waxing and waning - mostly waxing.  Got thinking about the long half life of Valium today and was going to calculate how much I have in my system, and that bothered me, but I stopped fussing about it and took a nap then watched TV.  I am just trying hard to think in a forward looking way and keep on course.  I am going to ask my doc to reduce the V tablets to 2mg, but I really want to get on course with liquid titration and make more frequent cuts of smaller size.  I need to stabilize here first of course, but moving forward is the only way I will ever be free.  Thanks for your support buddies, I really need it and truly appreciate it!

I'm glad things are going okay, and you are feeling hopeful. Sorry that you are dealing with an increase in anxiety though.  I think it's great that you stopped yourself from calculating the valium in your system. That's something I would have done too, and it really doesn't serve any purpose.  Good job on getting through this cut.  :) 

Thanks so much Barb.  I know the feeling about people acting different to you with the benzo withdrawal and judgement.  I try to let as few people know as possible, as most people will never understand fully.  I wish you the best of luck, and I will keep pushing through.  It is the hardest challenge I have ever faced, but if I can dig out of this hole, I know it will make me stronger and face most anything.

I agree.  There are only 2 people that knew about my clonazepam taper.  My hubby and my daughter.

I didn't want others to know, because some folks can be very judgmental about this type of thing.