Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

NEED YOUR HELP - C/O to Valium and Depression

[e1...]

[e1...]

Hello BBs!  I've posted this question before but got minimal responses and I need to determine my next course of action.  I recently had to to up in dose (not to my original but up nonetheless) due to severe w/d sxs as a result of tapering too fast (probably) off of Xanax.  I continue to toss around the idea of c/o to Valium but I am very nervous about major depression.  Right now, I suffer from very mild depression (anxiety is my worse issue).  I've read that Xanax has some minor protection against depression but with the short half life, it is very challenging to manage the tapering and avoiding the w/d sxs (I already have interdose w/d sxs). 

Can those of you who have c/o to V from X, K, or A can you share whether or not major depression was an issue?  I would really appreciate some feedback.  I know everyone is different but if 50% or more have experienced major depression, then I will probably try to tough it out with the X taper.  I see my psych doc tomorrow (and he is really uninformed) so I want to go in armed with some information.  Thanks!!!  :)

I wish I never crossed over to Valium , definitely depressing for me but I'm super sensative.  But like you said, everyone is different.  Best of luck. 

I know this isn't what you're asking, but I tapered all the way off 2 mg of Xanax without crossing over.  It was going okay with only some anxiety and insomnia until I made a huge taper error (pre-BenzoBuddies) and changed the course of my withdrawal.  That may be where you are now if you've also tapered too fast.  In any case, the symptoms of a bad cut often stick around awhile even if you do cross to another benzodiazepine.

What helped was to cut by only .0625mg every week to ten days.

Just my two cents. 

I was switched to Valium and suffered severe depression asks immediately stopped and went back to Xanax. Currently tapering from Xanax with a 5 percent reduction every 2 weeks.  Also, my sister has never tapered from any benzo but was given Valium for her anxiety and she had the same results. We are not alone.

Best wishes,

Dontpnc

[ce...]

Some people initially feel depression from Valium, but it can lessen with time for them.

The crossover from Ativan to Valium didn't work out for me because the depression from Valium was so profound - not everyone reacts this way however, so no need to rule it out if you want to give it a shot.

I ended up going back to all-Ativan to taper down as much as possible, and jumped from there.

Major depression (sadness) with c/o to Valium not to mention other dreadful problems. If I had my druthers I'd never go near Valium again. But remember everyone is different. But no Valium is clearly not for everyone and even though Xanax can be hard, so can A and K, I'd stick with a steady slow direct taper. I was on all 3. Never had any depression at all just tolerance. I actually cringe now when it's time to take my Valium but if I don't I get really messed up. Can't wait to be done. B

Cutting Xanax was really difficult for me and I eventually did a partial crossover to valium, tapered off the remaining Xanax, and I'm now tapering the Valium. I'm glad I switched to Valium, it is much gentler than Xanax to taper, although it is also quite sedating. I have some depression but I wouldn't call it severe, I can still function ok. I don't even think it is necessarily from Valium, withdrawal in general can make you tired and depressed. I definitely feel better on Valium than Xanax overall, my anxiety is much less and I don't get interdose wd anymore.

The best of luck. Remain as confident as possible and go for it. There is a light at the end of the tunnel for us all. Think you made a wise choice. :thumbsup: B

The best of luck. Remain as confident as possible and go for it. There is a light at the end of the tunnel for us all. Think you made a wise choice. :thumbsup: B

yes there is! The light will always outweigh the dark.