Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Need support

[si...]

Hi everyone, I was first put on klonopin about 20 years ago for restless leg syndrome. Of course my doctor told me nothing about it and never told me I would be forever dependent on them. My dosage increased a few times the first few years up to 2.5 mg that I take at bedtime. I have luckily been able to maintain this dose for the last 15 years or so with no major issues.

This summer however I started not feeling well, very depressed and having insomnia. I suspected the klonopin, so once I read up on tolerance withdrawal I realized that is what I'm going through now.

I have yet to start tapering as that miserable first day using the Ashton method scared the crap out of me. I got the smaller .5 mg klonopin pills from my dr. to cut into fourths with is how I intend to taper....I think cutting 1/4 of a .5 mg would be a 5% taper, right?

I know I need to start this but I am soooo scared. I have read SO many horror stories that it makes me wonder why I would put myself through two years of hell. After 20 years, would I ever fully recover and feel like a normal person and live a normal life?

Hi  :) Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I am glad you found us today.The recommended reduction rate is 5 to 10 percent every two weeks. No, a 1/4 of a tablet would be a 25 percent cut, which is much too large. A 5 percent cut would bring you to .475 mg, a 10 percent would bring you to .45. Since precise dosing is important you may want to invest in a inexpensive scale to weigh your doses.

You might like to check out The Ashton Manual it is an authoritative source on what to expect in withdrawal and recovery.  Dr. Ashton is an expert in the field. 

Please feel free to post to any of the dedicated boards, we have a wonderful community of people here, who will give sound advice. Members have been through all aspects of benzodiazepine use and withdrawal and are more than willing to share their experiences.

General Taper Plans

Withdrawal Support During Your Taper

Please take the time to Create a Signature.  This will allow others to see where you are in the process so they can better support you.

Again Welcome!  :smitten:

benzos-R-cruel

Ok, I guess I'm totally confused.  :o Isn't 10% of 2.5 mg 0.25? Instead of my 2.5 mg dose, I was planning on taking 2.375 mg which I thought was even smaller than a 10% cut.

i guess I was confused on your current dose. Could you create a signature that shows your dates of use as well as the dose. Yes, .25 is 10 percent of 2.5.

Okay.....I added a signature. ;D I hope I did it right. I honestly can't remember years or dosages the way some people can.  :o I just guess that it's been about 20 years. And since my doctor's office switched over to computers in 2000, he said he can't even look it up in my records as to when I was first prescribed Klonopin.