Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

therapy hasnt really helped me

[ho...]

am I the onlt one or has therapy not really helped anyone either this is not about during any drug withdrawal or anything like that but just in general. I'm about done I'm to angry right now to listen to anything

am I the onlt one or has therapy not really helped anyone either this is not about during any drug withdrawal or anything like that but just in general. I'm about done I'm to angry right now to listen to anything

Hi,

Therapy may help once you've healed some.  But, in my experience it didn't work before that.  Benzo withdrawal is a mainly physical experience, though it does have mental symptoms.  Remember, TIME is the healer in almost all cases, not any particular thing we do or don't do.  Just time.

:smitten:

That may be true, but at this moment I am having problems convincing myself I can hold out for another 3 - 5 months.

Someone on the outside who is compassionate and will talk may be of help to me.

I am getting to the point where I don't listen to myself.

I found therapy very helpful. The counselor I worked with even agreed with my decision to get off Klonopin and helped me through the whole process. I was in a really bad state and having someone to talk with every couple weeks allowed me to climb out of my self doubt and insecurity and helped me make a better life for myself.

Maybe you can try a different therapist. I have seen therapists on and off through the years and never found it super helpful. I have been working with someone since April and she is terrific. I was actually totally surprised. But it is hard to find the right match, but when you find it, it can be very helpful.

In my opinion and own experience therapy does little if anything to reduce symptoms, although CBT can help you manage some of the symptoms like anxiety better and therapy can help with acceptance of withdrawal. :smitten:

I plan to see a different psychiatrist (my doctors kind of partner) when I'm a bit more stable. Mine deals only with benzo addictions but the other one uses many other therapies to help you get things together. I think mostly CBT. But right now I'm just not there yet but am happy that hopefully the other doctor will have room to take me as a patient when I'm ready. Neither are pill pushers so I have no worries there. Time heals but maybe so does a helpful ear to talk to. Will give it a go. B