Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

My taper starts today - 20mg diazepam taper

[Au...]

Went to see nurse on Friday, she did all the usual stuff to get me onto their system as I hadn't had a GP for 2.5years. Went for blood test on Saturday.

Went back to Dr's today and showed him the ashton manual and we agreed to taper from 20mg diazepam, 2mg reduce every 2weeks, but if im struggling he said he could do it every 4 weeks.

Back on a legit script then, and the taper process starts today... with me taking 18mg for the next 2weeks and reporting how I feel to him after that. I won't lie, feeling anxious about this but I can't hide from reality forever, and the sooner I heal the better.

He mentioned about seeing people regarding my anxiety as I taper, but no details yet... I think he just wants to see how I feel 2weeks from today. He also talked about maybe taking anti-depressants further down the line too.

I'm not sure about anti-depressants myself, but will take advice from dr when I see him again, anyone got thoughts on this? Thanks.

I too resisted going the antidepressant route. I had been drug-free before I started taking benzos and wanted very much to stay that way. I found a great counselor and started working with her, but found my underlying anxiety and depression was getting in the way of my rwcovery. I reluctantly agreed to Zoloft for the time being. Have only been on a little over a week, but I think it's already helping.  I can come off after my k taper is complete. It was a good decision for me.

Sounds great to me autism. Good luck. I took low dose Remeron though for sleep, not depression and gabapentin for the muscle pains that became severe. You may need absolutely nothing else at all. I was on very high doses of both Ativan and Klonopin so totally different than you. Seems like for now you're on a very good path. B

Thanks for the good wishes. Diazepam is the only thing I take now, will see if I can manage just tapering off that, but will have to see how my body / mind reacts to the reductions going forward.

It seems to be really hot again this week (I don't handle heat too well) but thankfully after that, more autumn weather will come in (I live in the UK) and the colder temps after summer will help me a lot, if I manage 2mg reductions every 2weeks I will be off diazepam Jan 2017.

if you can do 2 mg every two weeks that would be amazing. the best i could do with it as my to focus was 1 mg every two weeks and slowing toward the end. it is a marathon. settle in...

Thanks for the good wishes. Diazepam is the only thing I take now, will see if I can manage just tapering off that, but will have to see how my body / mind reacts to the reductions going forward.

It seems to be really hot again this week (I don't handle heat too well) but thankfully after that, more autumn weather will come in (I live in the UK) and the colder temps after summer will help me a lot, if I manage 2mg reductions every 2weeks I will be off diazepam Jan 2017.

If you can do 2mg every 2 weeks good for you but don't beat yourself up if you have to drop to a lesser cut as you go down. Or spend more time per cut.

I had to lessen the amount I cut by when I got down to just under 50% of my original dose and it got to me as I had planed my complete taper on a calendar and felt like I let myself down.

These words come from one Brit to another