Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Starting Master's Degree in Psychology (Life After Benzo's)

[Br...]

Hello Benzo Buddies,

It has a been awhile since I have been active on this site which I guess is because I am not longer suffering as I had in the past from Benzo withdrawal. My last dose of Ativan was taken in June of 2014. Since that time I gone back to school and am two weeks out from finishing my MBA which I am very excited about. Yet after everything I have been through I thought maybe I could give something back both to Veterans and people that were suffering from addiction so two weeks ago I began to pursue a second Master's degree in Mental Health Counseling and Family Therapy. It will take me another three years to get through it but I have the time. My goal is to specialize in working with Veterans of which I am one having spent time in Iraq.

I guess what I am trying to convey is that those of you that are still suffering through Benzo withdrawal there is light at the end of the tunnel and it is not a train! Hang in there because I remember the days of wanting to end my life because of these drugs just like many of you but you will make it to the other side and it is really nice over here!  :thumbsup:

Keep the Faith,

BryanFL

benzos-R- cruel,

No I have not reinstated Ativan as a matter of fact I had oral surgery and would not allow the surgeon to use any Bezos in the anesthesia. I will never take another Benzo again. I am so glad to be out of the forest yet I must say there are times when I will get that bad feeling again that I associate with withdrawal but it passes very quickly. I guess it reminds me of how grateful I am to have made it through!

Regards Friend,

BryanFL

BryanFL,

It's very inspiring to see your accomplishments.  I want to go back to school next year, I have a BS in chemistry, I am trying to find a major.  I've considered health related options but many of the programs are very competitive and my degree is 16 years old now.  I also need to take the GRE, potentially both the subject area and general test.  Was it easy for you to find a school?  I will have to move as there are no schools at all within commuting distance from my rural home.  I have been struggling to find the right program.

jp49,

When I realized I needed to get off Benzo's I was taking 3mg Klonopin and 2mg of Ativan. I went cold turkey with Klonopin and began my taper at 2mg of Ativan. From there I started cutting pills and then transitioned to Valium because of the longer half life. Does that clear it up?

Regards,

BryanFL

Hope for the Healing,

I am finishing my MBA at the Jack Welch Management Institute and it has been a tremendous experience. The degree is 100% on line and you do not need to take the GRE. If you want a very practical MBA that your will learn a great deal from I would highly recommend it. I am going to finish with a 4.0 GPA in that I have 2 week left today and I plan to finish strong. I then was able to get into a traditional program for the new Master's degrees in Psychology without taking a GRE because of my 4.0 GPA in an accredited program. If you are interested you should look into JWMI.

Regards,

BryanFL

Looking Forward,

Thanks so much for the kind words I wish you continued success and health in your life after Benzo's!

Regards,

BryanFL

Bryan, congrats on the MBA and the next Masters. Your post is very encouraging. My main symptom which causes others is inner and middle ear disturbance. The vestibular nerve is temporarily damaged.

There are days when I'm ok, other days I want to scream and cry. The rocky boat sensation is not cool.

But posts like yours helps me, even at 28 months out.

Blessings.

Bryan,  congratulations on being benzo free!!  It's great you want to give back to the veteran community, too!  There are so many in our area that are on too many pain and psych meds.  Many are turning to Medical Marijuana, which is legal in our state.  You will be a great help to them.  Thank-you too for your service.  Glad you are doing well and best of luck!

Loving Mother,

Hang in there Friend I Pray that you get relief from what you are dealing with in that Benzo's are the gift that keep on giving. I must say I still feel the wave of despair that I had during withdrawal at times but fortunately it is very short in duration as opposed to the days on end that it used to be.

Regards,

BryanFL

Burned Out,

Thanks for the kind words and I wish you good luck on your taper. You are very close to getting there and I know it is difficult but once you are through you will begin the healing process. When you get out of the woods it is an amazing feeling!

Regards,

BryanFL