Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

In Need of Tips for Coping with Mental Anguish

[Tr...]

I need tips for coping with INTENSE psychological symptoms that seem to hit me out of nowhere. 

TRY

which symptoms exactly? There are 100000000 strategies.

I need tips for coping with INTENSE psychological symptoms that seem to hit me out of nowhere. 

TRY

Intense Fear, Strange Head/Brain Sensations, Fear of never being normal, Night Terror, Body Tremors. 

My dosage of .08mg is not working anymore. 

Try,

When mine was at its worst, I would put on head phones with a nature app playing on my phone - waves crashing, rain, that sort of thing. Then I would force myself to lay down for 15 minutes and take very slow deep breaths. I even set a timer. Most importantly I told myself OVER and OVER that this was just withdrawal and everything I was feeling was normal. I told myself I was safe and that although the sx were uncomfortable and scary THEY COULDNT HURT ME!

I would also try any form of distraction possible....going for a walk, yoga poses, tv, gentle walk, calling a friend/family to talk, word search, movie, cleaning, baking, etc. Anything to get your mind off it.

I hope you get some relief very soon.

This may sound pretty lame, but I binge watch Netflix. I find it an excellent distraction a lot of the time.

Solitudeseeker,

Nothing sounds lame about it. 

Thanks,

TRY

Try,

When mine was at its worst, I would put on head phones with a nature app playing on my phone - waves crashing, rain, that sort of thing. Then I would force myself to lay down for 15 minutes and take very slow deep breaths. I even set a timer. Most importantly I told myself OVER and OVER that this was just withdrawal and everything I was feeling was normal. I told myself I was safe and that although the sx were uncomfortable and scary THEY COULDNT HURT ME!

I would also try any form of distraction possible....going for a walk, yoga poses, tv, gentle walk, calling a friend/family to talk, word search, movie, cleaning, baking, etc. Anything to get your mind off it.

I hope you get some relief very soon.

Kiddo,

Thanks,  I have to do something.  Sitting here freaking out isn't doing a bit of good.

TRY

TRY

Intense Fear, Strange Head Sensations, Fear of never being normal, Night Terror

okidoki..

1. accept that EVERYTHING you are feeling now is kind of not-real, its benzo-wd-related. That state can be your partner for some more time, better you don't fight it and learn how to deal with it.

2. Stop thinking why you are having fear right now when its happening. Just do something to get you a little relief but don't push it to end.

3. Learn to find your own strategies. Do some research (here a several boards with lots of strategies) and practice, write down what helps and what doesn't help and so become your own doctor.

4. Create a every day routine and do it every day - the structure calms the nervous system

5. Avoid food/things that worse your problem

6. Practice breathing strategies, and practice at the beginning NOT when you are having an attack, later when you are having one

7. Keep your mind busy

8. Keep your fingers busy

9. Care for you as if you were a kid. A blanket was my life-saver in the first taper days, I took it every where like a baby. Everything that helps can be a life-saver.

10. Enjoy little things to get little rests during the day (a cup of tee, something you like to eat, a nice pillow)

11. Some of us do exercise

12. Some of us pray or do other spiritual things

13. Some of us write or read..

14. Join a group / talk to people

15. Many of us watch TV for hours and hours

16. Learn something new like cooking

17. Write down something you found good on every day, you may have to search but that can help

The best thing is do something. Thats better than doing nothing and be a scared rabbit. The more often you are doing something and you are active instead of passive, the more your nervous system will automatically calm down. The only mistake you can do is to hope that doing something will make the problem go away, in the beginning nothing more than a little relief will happen but thats only because you have to train it.

If you cannot sleep and your ghouths are going crazy, stand up and do the dishes. That means that your life can be strange sometimes but thats not important, the only important thing is to keep you alive and away from benzos. I started with NO strategy, no I have my own book full of strategies - you can do that, too.

Why don't you look at the anxiety board?

Marigold

TRY

okidoki..

1. accept that EVERYTHING you are feeling now is kind of not-real, its benzo-wd-related. That state can be your partner for some more time, better you don't fight it and learn how to deal with it.

2. Stop thinking why you are having fear right now when its happening. Just do something to get you a little relief but don't push it to end.

3. Learn to find your own strategies. Do some research (here a several boards with lots of strategies) and practice, write down what helps and what doesn't help and so become your own doctor.

4. Create a every day routine and do it every day - the structure calms the nervous system

6. Practice breathing strategies, and practice at the beginning NOT when you are having an attack, later when you are having one

7. Keep your mind busy

9. Care for you as if you were a kid. A blanket was my life-saver in the first taper days, I took it every where like a baby. Everything that helps can be a life-saver.

10. Enjoy little things to get little rests during the day (a cup of tee, something you like to eat, a nice pillow)

17. Write down something you found good on every day, you may have to search but that can help

The best thing is do something. Thats better than doing nothing and be a scared rabbit. The more often you are doing something and you are active instead of passive, the more your nervous system will automatically calm down. The only mistake you can do is to hope that doing something will make the problem go away, in the beginning nothing more than a little relief will happen but thats only because you have to train it.

If you cannot sleep and your ghouths are going crazy, stand up and do the dishes. That means that your life can be strange sometimes but thats not important, the only important thing is to keep you alive and away from benzos. I started with NO strategy, no I have my own book full of strategies - you can do that, too.

Marigold

Thank you Marigold for ALL the info........ :smitten:

TRY

TRY

okidoki..

7. Keep your mind busy

Marigold

Thank you Marigold for ALL the info........ :smitten:

TRY

You are welcome. Just wanted to show you that all of us have been where you are right now.

TRY,

I feel you mate and know exactly what you're going through. Exactly, I get it too in waves from my valium tolerance. It's **** there's no other way to put it really but it is temporary and WILL go away for you. My advice is distraction, distract yourself however possible although I know this doesn't always work.

Fast to moderate walks help me but have found that the setting of walk is important, if you're walking through a depressing urban environment (as opposed to an upbeat one) your negative thoughts may still tick over. Walk somewhere interesting that you like. For me, the local wetlands really help - the sounds of the frogs and birds help, they should have little viewing booths you can watch all the birds from too. I mean, the wetlands in my city aren't even that flash! There is a sewerage processing plant on one side and on the distant side there is an abandoned morgue haha! But it's still beautiful inside even if it's overcast. I hope this helps a bit. I hope you get mental relief sooner rather than later.

Regards, Matt loves cats.

TRY,

I feel you mate and know exactly what you're going through. Exactly, I get it too in waves from my valium tolerance. It's **** there's no other way to put it really but it is temporary and WILL go away for you. My advice is distraction, distract yourself however possible although I know this doesn't always work.

Fast to moderate walks help me but have found that the setting of walk is important, if you're walking through a depressing urban environment (as opposed to an upbeat one) your negative thoughts may still tick over. Walk somewhere interesting that you like. For me, the local wetlands really help - the sounds of the frogs and birds help, they should have little viewing booths you can watch all the birds from too. I mean, the wetlands in my city aren't even that flash! There is a sewerage processing plant on one side and on the distant side there is an abandoned morgue haha! But it's still beautiful inside even if it's overcast. I hope this helps a bit. I hope you get mental relief sooner rather than later.

Regards, Matt loves cats.

Matt, thanks for the advice.  Distracting seems to be more difficult for me.  This wave or acute has far surpassed anything I have dealt with previously. 

Stay Strong Friend,

TRY

I thought sxs would be acute after I jump, not while still tapering.  I never expected this intensity.  My coping skills were not cut out for this level of sxs.  I need to get it together.

Try

I stand in solidarity with you TRY wherever you are in the world, I am new and don't know a lot but I do know this comes in waves this will pass. I'm sorry distraction is harder for you - I have been there before benzo's.  imagine how great you'll feel when you're off them and your mind has healed! You will have peace again! It isn't that far away, get well soon,

Regards MLC

Is it always the case that symptoms are at their worst in acute, and worse than any during taper?

I have had some truly terrifying phases of mental anguish. I don't think I could cope with anything more intense :/

(My taper has been v rough tho as my sig shows, 3-0 will be taken as gently as I can manage)

I don't know if I'm in acute, tolerance, or what.  Just a horrible feeling that won't go away.  My eyes burn from crying so much. 

I don't understand.

I can only distract myself if I am actually doing something that involves moving as well as thinking/looking/listening. TV and books don't work for me.

Solitaire/ crosswords or jigsaw puzzles seem to work, some times just emptying the dishwasher or something similar is good, walking is also a way of getting my mind off of things.

Hope you get over this soon as I know it can be horrible to not be in control of your own mind.