Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Distractions

[Jo...]

Binge watching Netflix, Amazon Prime, Acorn.

Playing Scrabble online.

Trolling around Facebook

Reading, but not my usual weightier stuff, more easy reads.

Playing elaborate fantasies in my head about all the things I will get up to once I am able

Working with my aquarium and sometimes just sitting watching the fish

Watching the wildlife and birds in my backyard.

Thanks for the replies.  Anxiety is tough for me at different times of the day, but between 4pm and 8pm it is ridiculous.  I need to find some things to do.  I have been watch some Netflix.

I watch Netflix, listen to music, go for walks, pet my cats, take hot showers, read easy books, do crossword puzzles, do easy yoga stretches, sit on the porch and watch birds.

I watch Netflix, listen to music, go for walks, pet my cats, take hot showers, read easy books, do crossword puzzles, do easy yoga stretches, sit on the porch and watch birds.

My cat brings me much comfort too

Hi Joe,

I know what you mean about "time of day anxiety." Between about 8pm-12am I can have no peace. During this time I've made an appoint to exercise every day, or do meditation if too tired. Occasionally I'll nap, but it's usually toxic. Anxiety does bring no peace, and an inability to focus - that's why time seems to be so slow and agonized during our "peak times."

I've also tried to fill out my work schedule so I'm off later, around 10pm. Then do chores and exercise/meditate as mentioned till I begin to relax. If you can work through your peak times, that'll bring both profit and distraction. The whole Netflix/Facebook/video game thing doesn't work for me during peak times as I get very antsy/existential, and sometimes have mild psychosis.

Good luck! Nemo

Thanks Nemo.  For now I work from 8am to about 1 or 2pm, then I go home and lay in bed.  I get up around 6 for dinner and spend time with the family.  My anxiety is highest in the mornings and then from around 4pm to 8pm it is ridiculous.  Very tough to cope with.  I have not had trouble sleeping yet and I hope that holds.  I am only 7% into my taper and have a long way to go.  One day at a time I guess. :-[

Can people share what they do to distract themselves from the unbearable anxiety. :-X

In early withdrawal distraction was my best weapon of defense. However I was so sick I didn't know how to so I "googled" how to. The first thing that I read was scrub your bathtub, so scrub my bathtub I did. Sometimes 10 times in a day. I certainly had the cleanest bathtub in town and the mindless act turned out to be very therapeutic. I also memorized all the presidents and vice presidents in order. I memorized all the state capitols. I also spent a lot of time on BB. For it was in these moments of distraction that I almost felt sane.  :smitten:

I go to work every day and do laboratory stuff. Exactly like I did before this nightmare began. Every psychiatrist would agree that one should continue its normal life as much as possible. I use Seroquel 25 mg as sleep aid and I think this tiny dose is helpful in reducing my anxiety. I still shake most of the time, get electric like shocks and I'm not comfortable but my anxiety response is extremely reduced. You should consider another drug to help you to deal with a pretty normal life. Staying at home in my opinion is not going to help. Try to get yourself as comfortable as you can. Work at your pace. Get a caregiver. Avoid traveling and any source of extra stress. Follow a daily routine. Things are going to get better but you need a lot of patience.