Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Tolerance

[...]

This may seem ignorant to some, but is it possible to reach a tolerance point where the brain receptors(Gama)

become totally unaffected by the bezo action?

Let me explain, I was placed on 2mg. a day for muscle dystopia 16 years ago.  This January I

woke up and took the usual dose and nothing happened.  I felt like I was in withdrawels.

I went up to 3 with little or no change and then tapered back to 2mg/day.  I feel withdrawels

all the time now.  Is it calling for a higher dose or is it a problem with the receptor site on the neurons?

Thanks Al

[dd...]

Hi Al,

Welcome to to the forum.

Yes it is possible to reach tolerance and it is not an ignorant question.  Many people around the world taking benzos are unaware that benzos and other psycho active medications can require increasing doses to maintain some sort of 'stability'(for want of a better word).  You felt like you are in withdrawals, because that is exactly what you are in.  After a long or short time, depending on the individual, withdrawal symtoms start to appear because the drug is no longer effective, and you can get what is called a "rebound" effect of the symptoms that you are trying to avoid, so increasing doses of the drug are ever more required.  It is a horrible cycle that eventually must be broken by gradually and slowly tapering off the drug by using a long acting benzo if possible.

We can help you with this if this is what you would like to do.

Vicky  :)

Thanks for taking the time Vicky,

It is prudent to taper off of course.  I do have another question if your up for it.  Probably can't pinpoint this

exactly but if it took 15-16 years to loose it's effectiveness at 2 mg would another stable dose add another

15 years to the equation?  Or is it not a linear gain especially after the receptor's have already reached

a tolerance limit?  In other words my body found a way to fight back and will probably find that way quicker

with a higher stabile dose.  What is your experience?

It was very sweet of you to take the time to answer me.  ;)

Al,

Welcome to the forum.

It think it very unlikely that you would have another 15 years of effectiveness. In fact, I suspect that it stopped working many years ago and you cope perfectly well without benzos. Benzos typically become ineffective in the treatment of insomnia within weeks, and anxiety within months. What happens though is that we become dependent upon them, and if we try stopping we can experience very marked withdrawal symptoms. Others (and I suspect this includes you) reach a stage where they need more-and-more of the drug just to stave off withdrawal symptoms. Visit our BudddiesGuide main page, and scroll down to 'Tolerance Withdrawal', this gives you a pretty good description of what's happening.

In your position I'd recommend that you taper off at steady rate. It is tough once you have become tolerant of these drugs, but you will gain a whole new life without the effects of benzos.

I agree with Colin. I was on 3mg for 20 years and then developed cancer and it was upped to 7 mg and I actually felt worse. When I went back to taking 3 mg a day, it was like I was on nothing at all. I had once stopped taking ativan abruptly and nearly died, actually, so I continued to stay on it for fear of getting off. But looking back, realized they no longer worked but made anxiety worse and created new problems. I didn't know why they quit working and thought it was me or my "condition." Tapered down to 2 mg and felt better. Now at 1.5. If you take an extra mg, it might knock you a bit so you aren't as in touch with your muscle discomfort, but in my experience, once they stopped working, they stopped working and even had the opposite impact. I'm sure you're feeling kind of worried, wondering what to do. It can be a startling when they stop working, that's for sure.  But if you do a slow taper at your own pace it's possible you could feel better than you have in 15 years. This is a good place to get information and hear about how other have done it.

glori

Thanks Colin and Glori,

You folks are all more than angels.  My Doctor told me today that some people need to be on klonopin all their live.

If your Elderly maybe or you have a medical condition but otherwise I would even question the wisdom in allowing

any use at all. 

He does want me taper eventually but he is trying some things for my dystopia first.  So your stuck with me.

I'll be asking for guidance on the SLOW taper.  Whats the hurry.

Can you really work during withdrawels?

Thanks to my guardian Angels :D

Hi there,

Ive been working through my taper although I had to stop for a few months when I was really screwed up.  its the hardest thing I've done.  i'm a computer programmer so you can imagine how difficult it might have been at times.  I could tell you stories....  It can be done though I recommend staying away from jobs like airline pilot or brain surgeon..... :2funny:

Elwood out

Al

I wrote a book while tapering from 3 to 2, and it was a great distration for me and helped me focus on something outside the taper and sensations you get. Some jobs might be harder than others, though, so hard to say and is different for everyone I suppose. but think it's always best to stay in the loop and active to keep spirits up.

Hi Guys (Elwood and Glori),

You'll both finish your elimination if you go like the turtle.  (slow and steady)

Thanks for your advice.

Al :yippee:

Dear Al,

I know exactly what you're going through because, I, too, reached tolerance on 37 mg of Valium. I tried to increase my dose, hoping to stabilize, but not much happened, so I have to just assume my body no longer wants the Valium, bite the bullet and begin my taper.

With benzos, it's even possible to reach tolerance after just a few weeks on the drugs.

Genie

Thanks Genie,

It was helpfull of you to compare your notes.  I hope our tapers go well.

Funny I was thinking the same thing about my body not needing and rejecting the Benzo.  I too, like you,

raised the amount with very result.  Like you said not much happened.

Al :)