Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

New to site

[...]

Hi everyone, i have been reading thru the site and found it to be so helpful.  I had been on Prothiedan for 7 years and found that my panic attacks and anxiety were getting worse of a period of about a year.  My Dr who is a wonderful man started changing me over to SSri's.  I had to transfer over a period of 3 months from the dothep 150mg to 55mg Paxotine and 3mg of Kalma.  Although i found that being panic attack free was wonderful and made me feel so much better, the fog of the bezo was awful, i felt i couldn't drive my son around and I knew then i had to get off the Kalma as i couldn't function, my hubby said i had gone from a neurotic mess to a couldn't give a damn person, the house was a mess the dinner wasn't cooked the list goes on, he enjoyed thou that the anxiety and panic attacks were and still are not there.

I am sitting here today ...sorry about the length of this...... starting my goal of getting off these things, so far i have slowely come down from 3mg to 0.5mg a day 1/4 doses over the last 4 months and am a bit stuck.  I find that everytime i decrease by a quarter after about 3-4days it starts the shakes, trembles, jittering, jaw twitching, etc, have tried hard in the past to push past them and get on with things and have found over a couple of weeks they slowely go away.  What do i do now? the tablets are so hard to cut into 1/4 let alone 1/8, i take 1/4 lunchtime and 1/4 nightime, most of the tablet ends up in powder and you really don't know how much you are taking.  I really want to get off them.

I see my doctor again in a couple of weeks and i will talk to him, but i wanted some info from a benzo person which is the best way to go, cut out the day one or night one, try cut into 1/8? How long should i stay on the 1/8's? .  I will stay on the SSRI's as i feel like a new person and it is wonderfully liberating not to end up a mess in the corner, i feel confident, just turning 40 is ok now, the new me it's great i just need to get rid of the last bit of this nightmare i have been thru.

Thanks for any guidance in anyway.

Kay

[a1...]

Hi Kay,

The tablet crumbling is a constant problem. I do remember one member who made a powder of a whole tablet, deducted some, and made little piles of it to use as doses. She did do this successfully

I made a liquid mixture and cut small amounts that way.

Let's hear what other people have to

say.

Jana