Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

[...]

Hello everyone, my name is Dena and i live in South Africa.

I have been a dependant on benzo's for over 18 years and about 4weeks ago my Dr cut them off totally.I will find out what they are called in the USA.I am currently on Valium 10mg 3 times a day. I am a mess and want to know if all the symptoms i am having are from cold turkey. I am on 4 other meds as well, i think they are anti-depressants. Wellbutrin, Seroquel, Topamax and Tydamine. I really need to know whats going on with me. Help!

I think I posted in the wrong place. Shocked_SA is in the 'Welcome to the forum' section. Is there any way you can move me?

Hi Dena,

Sorry, I missed your very first post - I didn't read it until I replied to the sunsequent posts.

I'm a little unclear of what is your situation - what benzo (and dose) did you doctor withdraw, and what are you taking now? I don't have personal experience of ADs, but many others here do, so I will them comment upon those meds. However, if you are intending to quit all your meds at some stage, you are right to tackle the benzos first.

[b3...]

Hi Dena,

Might you mean Clonazepam? That's a benzo. There are other drugs that sound similar but aren't benzos.

Is it correct then that you are using 30.0mg Valium per day? The only reason that we should know what your former benzo is is to see if your current Valium dose is enough to substitute for the old benzo. This can be a problem. You must be in a stable condition before tapering.

What size are your Valium tablets? Have you read Ashton? The method that she describes has worked for many people but far from all. We can give you some alternative methods to consider.

Do you know the reason for each of the other prescribed drugs? In a multiple taper, the benzos come first. An exception is when a drug isn't necessary or is having a toxic effect. One of your drugs is an antiseizure drug. That may be wise. The others may have been prescribed in the belief that they will help benzo W/D symptoms. This can produce a merry=go-round of interactions. So questioning the reasons for these is a good start.

Being well informed provides a good basis for the decisions that you will make later.

Jana

• 3 weeks later...
  • 15 years later...
Hi again everyone, it's Dena again. I looked up the benzo i was on and here it's called Urbanol, i think it's called CLOAZAM in the States?