Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

Vineet2...thanks so much for your response.  I'm somewhat confused.  I hear people dissolving their pills/capsule powder in different mls of water...some 100, 150, 200...etc.  Does it matter how much liquid we use to dissolve our meds in?  I only dose once a day at night 5mgs.  could I do what you do?  60 mls?  I'm guessing you do 56 mls of water and 4 mls of alcohol?  As you know I'm only taking 5mgs of Librium and it's all in one capsule.

I need someone to help me do a spreadsheet calculating 5% reduction over 30 days...each day doing a micro taper as I hear that may work the best. 

I know BUILDER can help me with that...still haven't heard from GARDENER99.  It's possible I may be able to get LIbrium in liquid form from a Compounding Pharamcy at 5 mgs and then take out what I need but I'm not sure yet as we have had serious flooding here in Houston and the CP pharmacy may not be up and running yet. 

Did you find that going from pill form to liquid titration was difficult? 

[f0...]

Vineet2...thanks so much for your response.  I'm somewhat confused.  I hear people dissolving their pills/capsule powder in different mls of water...some 100, 150, 200...etc.  Does it matter how much liquid we use to dissolve our meds in?  I only dose once a day at night 5mgs.  could I do what you do?  60 mls?  I'm guessing you do 56 mls of water and 4 mls of alcohol?  As you know I'm only taking 5mgs of Librium and it's all in one capsule.

it absolutely does not matter how much ml of water we dissolve it in. yes, you can do 60 ml. i do 60 ml for convenience -- removing 2 ml is convenient and i'm done in 30 days (actually it takes me 34 days because syringe and graduated cylinder measures differ -- but i'm not complaining).  yes, mine is 4 ml alcohol + 56 ml water.

now if you intend tapering 5 mg in 2 months, you would remove 1 ml every day and start with 60 ml. if you intend tapering it in 3 months, then you should be preparing a 90 ml batch and removing 1 ml every day. so on...

I need someone to help me do a spreadsheet calculating 5% reduction over 30 days...each day doing a micro taper as I hear that may work the best. 

that means 0.25 mg in the first month. this changes things. you can't start with 60 ml.

you can make a solution in, say, 20 ml of water. then drink 10 ml. then add 290 ml to the remaining 10 ml to make 300 ml and remove in 1 ml increments.

I know BUILDER can help me with that...still haven't heard from GARDENER99.  It's possible I may be able to get LIbrium in liquid form from a Compounding Pharamcy at 5 mgs and then take out what I need but I'm not sure yet as we have had serious flooding here in Houston and the CP pharmacy may not be up and running yet. 

send them a PM.

i thought it was very difficult. but when i started doing it, i realized it was super easy. now i make my batch 10 mins before i take the drug because it takes only 5 miins for the pill to dissolve in alcohol.

i have the following equipment:

100 ml graduated cylinder

10 ml syringe

a glass vial with a glass stopper -- i pour 4 ml alcohol in it and drop the pill and close cap

a beaker -- to pour contents of cylinder into for daily removal before gulping

bottle of vodka

[quote author=Lib18 link=topic=135284.msg2465046#msg2465046 date=1504201932

Hi There, I just wanted to chime in that some people -- I was one of them -- that had a VERY difficult time going to all liquid.  When I made the switch even though the dose was the same -- my body responded differently to it -- like I didn't have enough medicine.  I have since heard that some have this issue, but not all.....another of those mysteries of benzo tapering...

I think DLMT is great!  It's best for me when I only take a portion of my dose in liquid - and the majority in dry form -- in my case pills.

Just so you know there are several routes....

Wishing you the best!

SS

Well I had heard of some too that reacted when they switched to a liquid.  Now I dont' know what to do...my capsule has powder so makes it very difficult and I can't wrap my Benzo brain around it right now. 

Vineet...I always thought it would take 6 months to a year to get off this evil stuff.  NO way I could get off it in 3 months...that seems too rapid.  I will have to have my husband read over these numbers you have given me as I'm totally lost.  I thought I would be making a solution every day...putting my capsule in it, take a little out and drink the remainder.  I only dose once a day.  I'm going by what I see on Youtube videos so I'm very confused right now.  I'm so sorry as you've been so nice in helping me but I'm just not getting it.  I don't want to drink 300mls at once before bedtime.  But I guess I will if I have too but seems like I'd have to drink it fast and that's a lot to chug down my throat. 

I know I sound stupid but I'm just not comprehending things well these days.  I really didn't think it mattered how much water we used for the solution. 

[f0...]

Vineet...I always thought it would take 6 months to a year to get off this evil stuff.  NO way I could get off it in 3 months...that seems too rapid.

6 months is reasonable. actually you do not know how fast you can taper until you try -- if you get symptomatic, you can immediately hold and change speed when you resume. 6 months is linearly 0.8 mg per month.  a 0.8 mg reduction per month or 15 percent reduction first month sounds perfectly reasonable because most people (including myself) find that they are able to go faster initially till they reach a lower level. if you cut 0.8 mg in the first month then you can easily do with a 60 ml batch of water. let me know if your are interested -- then i can post the calculations.

I thought I would be making a solution every day...putting my capsule in it, take a little out and drink the remainder.

yes, this is exactly how you will be doing it.

I only dose once a day.

me too.

I'm going by what I see on Youtube videos so I'm very confused right now.  I'm so sorry as you've been so nice in helping me but I'm just not getting it.  I don't want to drink 300mls at once before bedtime.  But I guess I will if I have too but seems like I'd have to drink it fast and that's a lot to chug down my throat. 

if i were you, i'd start with a 15% or 0.8 mg reduction in the first month as a trial. you would need only 60 - 75 ml of water for this. like i said, if you get symptomatic, you can always slow down (with revised calculations).

I know I sound stupid but I'm just not comprehending things well these days.  I really didn't think it mattered how much water we used for the solution.

it takes time to understand initially. happened with me too. once you understand, you will find it is all so super easy.

Hi again,

Okay...I'm slowly getting it.  But the Ashton Manual states not to go over 10% a month.  I think I would feel better doing a 10% reduction per month with micro cuts daily.  And work from there.  My husband had to come in here and help me with the numbers....lol.

Did you do okay going from dry to liquid? 

So at 10%, how much water/alcohol should I use?  And how much would I take out per day?  Husband calculated a 10% reduction using  100 ml of water/alcohol and taking out 0.3 ml a day.  Is that what you come up with?

Should I put the solution with the capsule in the fridge before drinking?  And it only takes 5 minutes to dissolve fully?  Then I get my syringe and take out 0.3 ml and then drink the rest. 

I wasn't getting your comment about your solution lasting 30 days? 

I can't thank you enough for helping me.  I'm sure I'll have more questions.  Yes, please give me numbers or a spreadsheet?  WE have Microsoft Excel. 

[f0...]

Hi again,

Okay...I'm slowly getting it.  But the Ashton Manual states not to go over 10% a month.  I think I would feel better doing a 10% reduction per month with micro cuts daily.  And work from there.  My husband had to come in here and help me with the numbers....lol.

10% is fine. (ashton's is only a guide. if you notice, from 5 mg librium she recommends a cut to 2.5 mg -- so it is 50% and not 10% and in 1 month you should be off 5 mg librium.)

Did you do okay going from dry to liquid? 

i had no issues whatsoever. but to err on the ide of caution, switch to liquid and hold (not taper) for a week. librium withdrawals take 3 to 5 days to hit you and a week would be enough buffer to see if you have taken the switch comfortably. (i did this and got no withdrawals.)

Husband calculated a 10% reduction using  100 ml of water/alcohol and taking out 0.3 ml a day.  Is that what you come up with?

yes, your husband is right. he can make an excel sheet for you based on this.

Should I put the solution with the capsule in the fridge before drinking?  And it only takes 5 minutes to dissolve fully?  Then I get my syringe and take out 0.3 ml and then drink the rest.

water will take longer than 5 minutes to dissolve -- i'm not sure, try and see. since i use alcohol, i make the batch a few minutes before consuming it and don't use the fridge and don't make a batch for 30 days (maybe newrain or oscar used to in my post earlier -- not me). 

the only trouble with water is that the capsule skin or shell might not dissolve in it. even though folks say it is not necessary for it to dissolve because librum is fully water soluble and what does not dissolve is thus non-librium or capsule shell, i get psychologically dissatisfied seeing a tiny powder settle at the bottom and so i use alcohol which dissolves everything (and quickly). 

1) A ratio of .1mg per ml works best.  This will allow you to easily make measurements of .01mg (1/100thmg)

2)  You do NOT "take out" anything.  You make a batch of liquid and just draw out the appropriate dose.

Mix 50mg librium with 100ml vodka and add 400ml water.  Now you have 500ml liquid, .1mg per ml.  This will last approax 10 days.

For 10%/30 day reduction...5mgX10%= .5mg

.5mg/30days = .0167/day reduction (round down to .015mg)

you schedule will be:

5mg (50ml)

4.985mg (49.85ml)

4.97mg (49.7ml)

4.955mg (49.55ml)

etc...

Just reduce your dose by .015mg (.15ml) each day.

Hi. I've not been able to be online much, so I just saw this. Sorry, can't catch up with all the posts I missed, but will share my method, which I learned from earlier days on this thread.

I open one 5mg capsule by holding each end tightly and twisting carefully. I dump the powder into a little glass bottle (used to hold vitamins). I add 3 ml of 80 proof vodka which I measure with a small oral syringe. I agitate the bottle and then let it sit tipped at a slight angle so this liquid is all in little puddle. Not sure this is need but I let it sit for about 5 minutes. I measure 97ml of room temp water in a graduated cylinder I got on amazon. I add the water to the bottle and shake well. Then I use another oral syringe to pull and pitch my reduction. I don't let my Librium sit around as a liquid for more than a day because I read a study that says it's not very stable as a liquid. My pharmacist would not compound it for me because of this. Others have said theirs would compound a week at a time.

Sorry, I'm not able to be online much these days. Hope this was helpful.

Gard

Thank you all so much!  I'm starting to get it after a good nights sleep...lol.  I think I will do 3ml of vodka...less alcohol for me the better.  I will have my husband read over this later in regards to the numbers.  I'm running on no hormones and WD from Progesterone so reading even one sentence is difficult and I have to read it over and over again.  But I'm starting to get it now.

Many in my FB group have big time issues cutting even at 10% per month, so I will have to be careful even with my low dose of 5mgs.  I've been on this nasty stuff for 19 years!!!  Totally terrifies me to get off.

Gardener...I had read that too about Librium not being stable in liquid for long....probably why I can't get my CP pharmacy to do it for me tho they'll do capsules for me.  But I feel I really need to microtaper every day. 

BUILDER...thanks for the number crunching for me.  I'm wondering if I could take out 0.15ml a day with the 100ml solution?...I don't want to make a large batch to keep in the fridge..I want to make it once a day right before dosing...I dose in the evening. 

Vineet...good to hear that you didn't have issues changing over to liquid.  I have many in my FB group who have changed to liquid and it seems like they do well...of course many have had to hold to stabilize like you said.  Can't thank you enough for your help!! 

[f0...]

I think I will do 3ml of vodka

good move! you save lots of time with alcohol -- dissolves quickly and everything dissolves. 3 ml or 4 ml depends on how narrow your vial is. the pill should be submerged in the alcohol.

...less alcohol for me the better. 

i am an ex alcoholic; sober for a year. i like the taste of vodka when i chug my librium solution. i drink 4 ml vodka every day -- i guess i have relapsed and am an alcoholic again. sigh... life is indeed tragic.

Lib,

So your total is 5mg which you convert to 100ml of liquid (3ml of vodka plus 97ml of water). That's not very hard. 5% per month sounds like a safe place to start.

So 100ml x .05 would be a reduction of 5ml per month.

Divide your month's reduction by 30 days. 5ml divided by 30 is .1666 (repeating) per day which I would round to .15 or .16 per day. Suppose you round to .15ml reduction per day.

Day one remove .15ml and drink the rest.

Day two remove .30ml and drink the rest.

Day three remove .45ml and drink the rest.

And so on.

(Then ask somebody to check my math. I always do!)

It's pretty dilute so doesn't taste awful. You can always add more water just before you drink if you want it even more dilute. I always put more water in the bottle after I drink my dose, shake it up, and drink the rinse water to make sure I didn't leave anything significant behind. Then dry out the bottle before the next use so it doesn't grow anything slimy.

Some people refigure their percent each month. Some people just keep going until they get bad symptoms and then they hold a bit and/or slow down.

Think about what you are going to do with your discarded liquid. It first breaks down into active metabolites and then I don't know what. I live in an important watershed so don't want the Librium going into the sewer. My doctor suggested I save it up in a bottle and turn it in at the drug pickup at the village hall. I opted to dump it into cat litter (absorbs a lot and we have it anyway) and put it in the garbage. Maybe that's overkill,  but my doctor was very concerned about dumping meds into the sewer system.

One thing to keep in mind is that Librium has a very long half life. It could take a week for you to feel the effects of a cut. So going slowly is a good idea. But you'll do it. You're way ahead of me!

Gard

You all have been extremely helpful.  I had my husband just now read over it and he will do a spreadsheet for me and I will start at 5% the first month to see how I do. 

GARDENER ...some good points you bring up so thank you...had not even thought about discarding meds in a safe manner.  And also putting more water in my jar to drink to make sure I get all of it once I'm done drinking the solution.  Good luck to you in your taper.  I've only ever been on 5mgs for the most part.  Early on I was on 10mg but then lowered down to 5mg and Cold Turkeyed off it years ago with no issues but it's been 19 years of daily use so I'm in for a rough road ahead of me. 

Vineet...I did see that in your signature..hopefully that little bit of vodka won't have an affect on you once you are off the Librium.  I suppose you were given Librium to get off the alcohol?  I wish you the best in your tapering.  I'm just so thankful for this forum and FB groups or I'd be a mess right now or dosed off it according to what my old doc said...taking it every other day, then every 2 days...lol...they are so clueless.  I already knew I couldn't get off it that way. 

Anyway, I hope we can all manage to get off this wicked drug with minimal side effects.  I know Librium's half life is very long and some can build up in the tissues so I hear a year or so after quitting can be tough for some.  Have to pray for the best! 

Warning...I may have further questions once I start tapering.  I see my Neuro doc on the 11th and he should give me more Librium...I have 1 1/2 months left here. 

[f0...]

I suppose you were given Librium to get off the alcohol?

yes. i was switched from clonazepam (klonopin) to librium in 2012 to assist me stop alcohol (my benzo use predates my alcoholism). but, despite the switch, i quit alcohol only in august 2016.

I wish you the best in your tapering.

thank you. it is the second time for me too! i quit 0.5 mg alprazolam (xanax) in 1993 after 3 years use. i got no withdrawals and thus got back on it in 1998.

but, this time, i tried CT'ing twice and hell broke loose.

liquid micro tapering is good. i can lead a normal life and frankly no symptoms to speak of (yet).

good luck tapering! you'll do just fine. you won't even feel it. slower the better.

GARDENER...do you not put your capsule shell in the vodka after dumping the contents outs?  Just wondering as I know one guy did that Vineet posted above. 

Vineet....yes, I hear the second time getting off a benzo is difficult when the first time getting off can be a breeze.  That's why I worry about having issues this second time around as I C/T the first time with no issues.  So I'm going to go at a snail's pace. 

GARDENER...do you not put your capsule shell in the vodka after dumping the contents outs?  Just wondering as I know one guy did that Vineet posted above. 

Vineet....yes, I hear the second time getting off a benzo is difficult when the first time getting off can be a breeze.  That's why I worry about having issues this second time around as I C/T the first time with no issues.  So I'm going to go at a snail's pace.

No, I don't swallow the emptied capsules. My capsules won't dissolve in anything I've tried. I guess I could put the two halves back together and swallow the empty capsule, but I've never bothered.

Also, after I open and dump and gently tap the end of each half, I can see that all of the powder is gone from inside the capsule. The one thing I have to be careful about is to not get any of the powder stuck under my fingernails while I'm opening or dumping the capsule. If I do get a tiny bit, I just lick my fingers. If I get a lot stuck or spill, I waste the capsule and start over.

I do dig my nail in a bit for grip and hold the capsule as close to each end as I can. If I accidentally scrunch the end of the capsule, I un-scrunch it so I can look inside and make sure all of the powder is out. I do this on my kitchen counter under a very bright under-cabinet light. Solid surface, well-lit.

I'm not sure from his posts if vineet is using capsules or tablets. Librium comes as tablets in some other countries, but not in the USA.

To make sure I don't run out of capsules, I always fill my script on the first available fill date, which is usually 2 days before the month is up. Then the next month I do it again. And the next. Now I have some extras for spilling and wasting. I sometimes mess up with my measuring, lose count, do a wrong pull by accident. It's a good idea to get a bit ahead on your capsules if you insurance will allow.

Another thing to remember when you are titrating is to be consistent. Open, dump, tap the same way. Use the same brand of Librium. Use the same brand of syringe (they do wear out).

Also, if you dilute to 100ml, your solution is more forgiving that if you dilute to only 10ml or 50ml. A bubble here or there or a few spilled drops won't matter as much with a dilute liquid.

One other thing I so is have 2 graduated cylinders that I checked that measure exactly the same. I use one day and the other the next. That's so I can just let one air dry to completely dry while I use the other and so on. Dry is good. Bacteria don't live well on dry surfaces. Also, if I would break one, I would have the other.

If you are using a graduated cylinder, look up meniscus. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meniscus_(liquid) This shows how the bottom of the meniscus is the correct mark. Everyone who measures should be using the same method.

Also might help to look on youtube for a video of a nurse showing how to get bubbles out of syringes. 

Also, don't know if we've discussed this, but if your syringe has a tip, the amount in the tip is not part of the measurement. The zero mark is on the tube part. The tip doesn't count.

That's all I can think of. Hope it helps. I think you'll do fine. You seem to be thinking this through carefully. I often think problems switching to liquid are because of mistakes made in the liquefaction process.

Gard

P.S. Just to be on the safe side, I shake and then measure immediately just as I would if my drug was not dissolved but merely suspended. And I make sure I shake up and down so I don't create a vortex. OK, that's really the end! ;)

Lib18- you don't even know yet if you'll have trouble so don't be expecting trouble but good that you're so prepared! I wish I were more prepared when I started out but took a bit to find this site. What FB Grp do you find helpful? Is it similar to this forum in terms of advice and methods?

GARDENER...wow...so helpful you have been...can't thank you enough.  I'm the kinda person that usually has to do it before I get it ya know.  Even watching the youtube videos confused me...lol.  I haven't made any purchases yet so will add another graduated cylinder to my list.  Thanks so much for the link and I do have another link that shows how to use the syringes I think.  Hope you are doing well in your taper.  I will start soon.

Libr...I'm just so paranoid....trying to be positive.  Is your Librium in capsule form?  The group I belong to on FB is called Benzodiazepine Withdrawal Solutions and Recovery.  There is one lady on there who takes Librium but uses the weighing method like you do. She told me step by step what to do but I got so confused.  I think I'm supposed to weigh like 10 capsules and then divide by 10 to get an average weight.  However dumping the contents of my capsule powder on the scale makes me very nervous as some of the powder will be hard to get back in a larger capsule plus may not be able to get it all off the scale so that method somewhat scared my Benzo brain.  They are a very supportive group but I had issues trying to find out what to do but they do have some good information in their "Files" section.  I love the group! 

Do MTers hold if sick? If so, do you find holding makes it harder to start tapering again. Do you start back at your same rate you were on or do you have to start slower? If you don't hold, do you find if you keep tapering while sick, it makes things even worse? I'm new at MT and got sick and held 3 non-consecutive days but even though the illness is better, my w/d sxs are not back to baseline- should I hold until I go back to baseline? I'm cutting only a tiny amt each day but I don't want things to get worse.

Also I'm in the process of Ramping up my rate since I'm new at MT. If I hold now, when I resume, can I resume at my current rate? And how long do I do that rate before I can ramp up? I've been thinking two wks- but should I do a consecutive two wks after the hold?

Thank you!

Are you microtapering with the scale or did you switch over to LT?  What did you do before the MT?  I haven't started yet but that is a good question for the FB group I gave you the name of.  that's one question I know they will answer.  I haven't started tapering yet...wish I could help you!  From what I've read in my FB group, people often hold and can for some time. 

GARDENER...are you microtapering each day?  I have a feeling I'll be asking questions similar to Libr so best I find out now.

Do MTers hold if sick? If so, do you find holding makes it harder to start tapering again. Do you start back at your same rate you were on or do you have to start slower? If you don't hold, do you find if you keep tapering while sick, it makes things even worse? I'm new at MT and got sick and held 3 non-consecutive days but even though the illness is better, my w/d sxs are not back to baseline- should I hold until I go back to baseline? I'm cutting only a tiny amt each day but I don't want things to get worse.

Also I'm in the process of Ramping up my rate since I'm new at MT. If I hold now, when I resume, can I resume at my current rate? And how long do I do that rate before I can ramp up? I've been thinking two wks- but should I do a consecutive two wks after the hold?

Thank you!

I hold when needed. If you find the right rate, you can go for quite some time without holding as you are keeping up with your body's rate of healing.  It never hurts to hold every so often just to be on the safe side IMO. You can resume at the same rate if that rate was not bringing on too many symptoms.  :)--V

GARDENER...wow...so helpful you have been...can't thank you enough.  I'm the kinda person that usually has to do it before I get it ya know.  Even watching the youtube videos confused me...lol.  I haven't made any purchases yet so will add another graduated cylinder to my list.  Thanks so much for the link and I do have another link that shows how to use the syringes I think.  Hope you are doing well in your taper.  I will start soon.

Libr...I'm just so paranoid....trying to be positive.  Is your Librium in capsule form?  The group I belong to on FB is called Benzodiazepine Withdrawal Solutions and Recovery.  There is one lady on there who takes Librium but uses the weighing method like you do. She told me step by step what to do but I got so confused.  I think I'm supposed to weigh like 10 capsules and then divide by 10 to get an average weight.  However dumping the contents of my capsule powder on the scale makes me very nervous as some of the powder will be hard to get back in a larger capsule plus may not be able to get it all off the scale so that method somewhat scared my Benzo brain.  They are a very supportive group but I had issues trying to find out what to do but they do have some good information in their "Files" section.  I love the group!

You're welcome. And I'm with you. Dumping and measuring fluffy powder freaks me out! I could never do it. It took a little to get the hang of the liquid but now I do it easily. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Having some computer problems so not online much but will check back occasionally.

Gard :)

Are you microtapering with the scale or did you switch over to LT?  What did you do before the MT?  I haven't started yet but that is a good question for the FB group I gave you the name of.  that's one question I know they will answer.  I haven't started tapering yet...wish I could help you!  From what I've read in my FB group, people often hold and can for some time. 

GARDENER...are you microtapering each day?  I have a feeling I'll be asking questions similar to Libr so best I find out now.

I was doing daily micro-taper but have switched to cutting twice/week as an experiment of sorts. It's because I want to make fewer measurements and fewer pulls. Laziness. ;)

Thank you!

I hold when needed. If you find the right rate, you can go for quite some time without holding as you are keeping up with your body's rate of healing.  It never hurts to hold every so often just to be on the safe side IMO. You can resume at the same rate if that rate was not bringing on too many symptoms.  :)--V

Just did that very thing. Held for 3 weeks because of symptoms and because I new some big stress was coming. Back to cutting now. Same rate, but we'll see. Might need to slow down to 5%.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Ka...]
    • [El...]
    • [jo...]
    • [...]
    • [kn...]
    • [de...]
    • [Li...]
    • [ro...]
    • [Lo...]
    • [Al...]
    • [je...]