Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

Hello micro-taperers;

I bought a glass 100ml graduated cylinder,  a 1 ml syringe, and a 10ml syringe.

I wanted to bounce this off of you who may have done it, or maybe

it's not a good way.

If I fill the graduated cylinder to the top with water, then grind up and add a 10mg V pill, dissolve it,

I will now have a solution that is 1mg V = 10ml, or .1mg V = 1 ml .

I can then put it in a small jar, with a lid (so no evaporation).

If I need to take a .8mg V dose, then I use my 10 ml syringe and extract

8ml of liquid. This is equal to .8mg of Valium.

For smaller doses under .1mg V, I can use the 1 ml syringe (A full syringe = .1mg V).

Somehow it's easier for me to think in terms of my dose, rather than what I am cutting.

One jar full will last me about 3 -4 days, less as time goes on.

Can anyone find fault or potential issues with this procedure?

Thank you, I appreciate it!

-Justaman

1.  Use the cylinder for measuring water only; do not mix in it.  Instead, mix in the jar.

2.  Dissolve the 10mg V first in either 20ml PG or alcohol, then add 980ml water.  100ml is not enough to keep 10mg V dissolved.

3.  80ml will equal .8mg V.

Hello SG57;

Thank you ! I will use 2% alcohol (can't drink milk), with 98% water.

I wonder could I put 10 - 10mg tablets in 1000ml, to get 10ml = 1mg V ?

Thank you,

-Jman

I would not do that.  I think the concentration for V in water mixtures needs to remain lower than .01mg/ml to keep the V dissolved in the water.  Higher concentrations will exceed the saturation point and the V may come back out of the liquid and return to solid form, which would defeat the purpose of going to liquid.  I think this is true for all the common benzos.  My advise is to work with a very dilute .01mg/ml solution.

Nicole, yes, use the method you are comfortable with. I was nervous about alcohol but my doctor told me not to worry about such a small amount. And I don't drink milk and I don't want to deal with PG. So we each have our reasons. I'm glad you found someone to give you guidance on using it because I wouldn't have a clue! ;)

Gard

the reasons I'm terrified of the alcohol is because it acts on gaba. And before I knew I was in withdrawal I took some ashwagandha which acts on gaba and I've never been the same since. I know it's a tiny amount of alcohol but still scared about the gaba thing. I don't know, maybe I'm blowing it out of proportion but that ashwagandha did some horrific things to me and found out later it works on gaba so..  But thanks gard

Oh dear, I'm really sorry to hear about the ashwagandha problem you had! You just never know with these darn benzos what you are in for. But eventually we will all get off of them!

Gard  :smitten:

Hello micro-taperers;

I bought a glass 100ml graduated cylinder,  a 1 ml syringe, and a 10ml syringe.

I wanted to bounce this off of you who may have done it, or maybe

it's not a good way.

If I fill the graduated cylinder to the top with water, then grind up and add a 10mg V pill, dissolve it,

I will now have a solution that is 1mg V = 10ml, or .1mg V = 1 ml .

I can then put it in a small jar, with a lid (so no evaporation).

If I need to take a .8mg V dose, then I use my 10 ml syringe and extract

8ml of liquid. This is equal to .8mg of Valium.

For smaller doses under .1mg V, I can use the 1 ml syringe (A full syringe = .1mg V).

Somehow it's easier for me to think in terms of my dose, rather than what I am cutting.

One jar full will last me about 3 -4 days, less as time goes on.

Can anyone find fault or potential issues with this procedure?

Thank you, I appreciate it!

-Justaman

1.  Use the cylinder for measuring water only; do not mix in it.  Instead, mix in the jar.

2.  Dissolve the 10mg V first in either 20ml PG or alcohol, then add 980ml water.  100ml is not enough to keep 10mg V dissolved.

3.  80ml will equal .8mg V.

Hello SG57;

Thank you ! I will use 2% alcohol (can't drink milk), with 98% water.

I wonder could I put 10 - 10mg tablets in 1000ml, to get 10ml = 1mg V ?

Thank you,

-Jman

I would not do that.  I think the concentration for V in water mixtures needs to remain lower than .01mg/ml to keep the V dissolved in the water.  Higher concentrations will exceed the saturation point and the V may come back out of the liquid and return to solid form, which would defeat the purpose of going to liquid.  I think this is true for all the common benzos.  My advise is to work with a very dilute .01mg/ml solution.

SG, Miss Paranoia popping in. I'm OK with 5mg of L in 3ml of vodka plus 97ml of water, right? No can do the math. :idiot:

Gard

the reasons I'm terrified of the alcohol is because it acts on gaba. And before I knew I was in withdrawal I took some ashwagandha which acts on gaba and I've never been the same since. I know it's a tiny amount of alcohol but still scared about the gaba thing. I don't know, maybe I'm blowing it out of proportion but that ashwagandha did some horrific things to me and found out later it works on gaba so..  But thanks gard

You would probably never actually take 1ml of alcohol per day (That's 2/10ths of a teaspoon.).  If you use a mouthwash, or drink a glass of fruit juice, you get more alcohol than that

Nicole, yes, use the method you are comfortable with. I was nervous about alcohol but my doctor told me not to worry about such a small amount. And I don't drink milk and I don't want to deal with PG. So we each have our reasons. I'm glad you found someone to give you guidance on using it because I wouldn't have a clue! ;)

Gard

Just curious: What do you mean when you say "it works on GABA"? I've been taking a small amount of Ashwagandha for many months to help with adrenals.

Thanks!

Jeff

SG, Miss Paranoia popping in. I'm OK with 5mg of L in 3ml of vodka plus 97ml of water, right? No can do the math. :idiot:

Gard

Well, if you feel well then what you are doing is okay - that trumps everything.  The Jouyban data I have says 1ml 80 proof dissolves 3mg L so 3ml will dissolve 9mg, so that looks good.  Then the solubility of L in water is .11mg/ml (it is the highest of the common benzos), so 100ml can keep 11mg dissolved.  So, you look good there too. :thumbsup:

I like to keep them all at .01mg/ml as added safety.

[27...]

Gard

Just curious: What do you mean when you say "it works on GABA"? I've been taking a small amount of Ashwagandha for many months to help with adrenals.

Thanks!

Jeff

'Works on GABA' means that the substance interacts with your GABAA receptor (the same receptor that benzos work on).  Most of us feel that you want to give your poor GABAA receptors a chance to recover following the benzo experience, so we avoid things that interact strongly with GABAA.  That includes alcohol.  It also might include several relaxing herbs that interact with GABAA (depends on the herb and how much you're taking).  It's pretty much impossible to avoid all substances that interact with GABAA.

Gard

Well, if you feel well then what you are doing is okay - that trumps everything.  The Jouyban data I have says 1ml 80 proof dissolves 3mg L so 3ml will dissolve 9mg, so that looks good.  Then the solubility of L in water is .11mg/ml (it is the highest of the common benzos), so 100ml can keep 11mg dissolved.  So, you look good there too. :thumbsup:

I like to keep them all at .01mg/ml as added safety.

What works is what the math/chemistry gurus say works! :angel:

But seriously, I have PTSD triggering mixed in with my w/d symptoms, and it is sometimes impossible to tell them apart. So I am very careful to cross my t's and dot my i's via this thread. :thumbsup:

(Or you can just say I'm being paranoid by asking over and over; that works, too! :laugh:)

Gard, you keep asking, thats what we are here for... Your doing great!! :smitten:

Thanks, Kasey! I am in paranoid mode again. But you could kinda tell, huh? :laugh:

You would probably never actually take 1ml of alcohol per day (That's 2/10ths of a teaspoon.).  If you use a mouthwash, or drink a glass of fruit juice, you get more alcohol than that

I want to use alcohol very much if I could get over my terror of it. There's alcohol in fruit juice? I don't use mouthwash too paranoid. I know it's best for solubility. But can't get over the fear of it after my ashwagandha I have not been the same since.  :-[

Gard

Oh dear, I'm really sorry to hear about the ashwagandha problem you had! You just never know with these darn benzos what you are in for. But eventually we will all get off of them!

Gard  :smitten:

yes I found out the hard way unfortunately and then when I joined some of my Facebook groups there it is,  on all the lists. Oh well...  :tickedoff:

Gard

Thanks!

Jeff

I'm not sure exactly how it affects gaba but my functional doctor told me to take my ashwagandha as far apart from the klonopin as possible. Within four days I was in hell. But if you've been taking it for a while and are not having a reaction you could be fine. But it's on all my lists in my Facebook groups as something not to take.might want to research it. I had horrible reaction to it. And was told to take it away from my k from the doctor for a reason. Wish I could be more help. Nicole

builder I've seen you say that before that we would never actually take 1 ml of alcohol. Why is that when we have to usually use more than 1 ml of the alcohol to dissolve? Is it because of the proof or something? Thank you

Hey Jeff,

Thanks, I know I'll find my path eventually. I have no idea how long it will take but by doing a sxs based taper I'm hoping that I'll stay at least somewhat functional. In the long run it doesn't matter how long it takes all that matters it getting off of it. Out of curiosity how long has it take you to get from 6mg to 1mg? I'm sorry going slowly didn't help reduce your sxs. I've seen some who say it does and some who say it doesn't. It would be interesting, just cause I like science and math, to know what the percentage is in both directions.

Hugs and healing to you  :smitten::hug:

Well, like a fool, I tried a dry cut taper when I began all of this. I had no clue about how bad benzos were, how addictive, I didn't know about micro tapering, etc. I literally tried to cut the 1mg tablets into quarters and reduce from there. Learned real quickly that that ain't happenin'!! I was a complete mess and totally freaked out and ready to run for the hills (little did I know how super sensitive I was to everything). I then learned about BB's and took some really small steps toward the liquid micro taper thing. I've been doing the liquid micro taper for about 1 yr and 7 months. I probably spent a couple months before that fighting with the dry cuts on my own. I also had several long holds over the past year+ due to another surgery on my back, recovery, hurricane evacuation, and now I have holds simply because I'm too sensitive to cut very often or very much. I'm no speed demon, but I've learned to let go and just go with the flow. I don't set taper goals and I don't look back to see how much I cut in a given month, or whatever. So it is. On to the next day!!

Hugs to ya, young lady :)

Jeff

hi Jeff I'm so sorry if I've asked you this before because I've asked a lot!  :laugh: what liquid are you using to taper? Thank you Nicole

Thank you Gard and SG :)

I am a 11 on a scale 1-10, but I will go back to say .40 maybe for a couple of days and see if that helps at all.

I will keep you posted, thank you all for being here.

hi maa, I'm glad I ran across a milk person. I'm really struggling with which way to go on with my taper after dry cutting disasters. How has the milk been going for you? I'm scared of alcohol and allergic to pg. Just wondering how you have found the milks solubility and any insight. Thank you so much nicole

Gard

Thanks!

Jeff

'Works on GABA' means that the substance interacts with your GABAA receptor (the same receptor that benzos work on).  Most of us feel that you want to give your poor GABAA receptors a chance to recover following the benzo experience, so we avoid things that interact strongly with GABAA.  That includes alcohol.  It also might include several relaxing herbs that interact with GABAA (depends on the herb and how much you're taking).  It's pretty much impossible to avoid all substances that interact with GABAA.

hi bad I know I probably shouldn't be asking this question because of my paranoia. But what other substances would we run across in our daily lives that affect gabaa? Thank you nicole

builder I've seen you say that before that we would never actually take 1 ml of alcohol. Why is that when we have to usually use more than 1 ml of the alcohol to dissolve? Is it because of the proof or something? Thank you

Want me to guess? You're mixing up more than one dose at a time and taking only part of the mixture, maybe? I don't know because my benzo takes a lot of alcohol to dissolve it and I drink the whole dose because it's not stable. So I do take 9ml/day of alcohol due to dosing 3 times/day. And I am doing OK.

You could try PG. Or you could get some 80 proof vodka and take one drop as a test and wait. Then take 2 drops and wait. Etc. (No drinking the whole bottle! :laugh:) When I re-started my taper, I was so paranoid I made a cut so small it couldn't do a thing. Then I made a little bigger and a little bigger. Got me past my paranoia. :thumbsup:

Here's a paper on alcohol naturally occurring in foods and drinks. You'd be surprised!

http://oup.silverchair-cdn.com/oup/backfile/Content_public/Journal/jat/22/3/10.1093/jat/22.3.181/2/22-3-181.pdf?Expires=1485871673&Signature=KgXtwk3coZdo9RHLs5G6p8WeJAqvm~W2LmhJTTk7C~HtFfoPbR1QML~K6SDMxY9LOiXDbuLSRL2xr8YeUVsIAmwI2hlxGUzNLAjBl358LwaECed1M0u~uPWTWkCobyDWLYcgpWWvy1TEa-qVAeNtv2VMI8lCo5iDKWEyEHcIY~9YzEQF2X9f2d5ta-dXYc3e9hRdehhAGPKdOrlVHW2dSKT4XvTpBT3OtLFJKkcZGvIL1ODzuiECU~NWq7qs7KT5bQ~bV1OdLVxfoy-E2WtzreJqx87HcFEbbw69C2aJevHQesrlY6DOp8t5rOBBDqS9TBo0NDxA0mizMECCaNLX1Q__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIUCZBIA4LVPAVW3Q

You can do this!

Gard :smitten:

Ok, lets work it out.  Assume someone is on 10mg/day of Valium, and wants to taper 5% every  10 days:

Dissolve 50mg tablets in 100ml 80 proof (40% alcohol) vodka and add 900ml water.

Day 1 take 9mg tablets, and 1mg (10 ml) liquid (This is the max liquid you will ever have to take!)

Day 2 take 9m tablets and .95mg (9.95ml) liquid

day 3 take 9mg tablets and .90mg (9.9ml) liquid.

etc.

So you start with 10ml of liquid, that contains 2ml of vodka, or .8ml alcohol.  And each day, the amount of alcohol gets smaller.

And since the 2ml vodka is the max you will take, and it tapers down each day, the average daily  amount would be 1ml vodka, or .4ml alcohol.

BTW, you really only need 1ml vodka to 1mg V.  Several of us just recommend the 2ml per mg to be on the safe side of solubility.  So if you did the 1ml per mg formula, the max alcohol would only be .4ml alcohol.

BTW, I am a recovering alcoholic, 29 years sober.  If I had not had a scrip for liquid V, I definitely would have done the vodka method. 1ml of vodka does not scare me in the least.  I'm sure I get that much using mouthwash.

Hope, I've been using cashew milk to taper my clonazepam and it has worked very well for me. I would suggest, if you have any extra, to take one and put it in some sort of high fat milk and see how well it dissolves. That may help you feel better once you see that it dissolves completely. The medicine itself is fat soluble so it will make a suspension. That's what I did before I started tapering. Then I started taking it in the milk before I started tapering to see how I felt with it. Just a thought for a way to make a start and get past the fear. Hugs. :smitten::hug:

Builder,

I'm going at your rate of taper. Thought I could go faster but body said no.  I see in your signature you held a few times  for a month. Was that due to symptoms? Thanks

[27...]

hi bad I know I probably shouldn't be asking this question because of my paranoia. But what other substances would we run across in our daily lives that affect gabaa? Thank you nicole

The mere act of eating will result in some GABAA activation.  There's nothing wrong with that or with anything that doesn't significantly target your GABAA receptors.  Think of your compromised receptors as being damaged (pulled) muscles.  You don't heal a muscle by immobilizing it.  You heal it by going easy on it for a while.  But you still move/use it.  Same for this receptor.  Use it, but use it sensibly.

Builder,

I'm going at your rate of taper. Thought I could go faster but body said no.  I see in your signature you held a few times  for a month. Was that due to symptoms? Thanks

I held for a few weeks, or a month, for convenience, to accomodate travel plans. 

I did one therapeutic hold, at 3.5mg.  For the first time since starting DLMT, my sxs ramped up noticeably (but not intolerably) .  I held for 10 days, and got no improvement.  I updosed to 3.7mg and held another 10 days.  When I felt recovered I re-started my taper a smaller cut rate. 

At 3.5, I was cutting .015/day, which was 6%/2 weeks.  That confirmed my experience during C&H...about 5%/2 weeks was kinda my upper limit.  I went to .0125/day (4.7%/14 days) and it was OK again.

The mere act of eating will result in some GABAA activation.  There's nothing wrong with that or with anything that doesn't significantly target your GABAA receptors.  Think of your compromised receptors as being damaged (pulled) muscles.  You don't heal a muscle by immobilizing it.  You heal it by going easy on it for a while.  But you still move/use it.  Same for this receptor.  Use it, but use it sensibly.

thank you bad.

Want me to guess? You're mixing up more than one dose at a time and taking only part of the mixture, maybe? I don't know because my benzo takes a lot of alcohol to dissolve it and I drink the whole dose because it's not stable. So I do take 9ml/day of alcohol due to dosing 3 times/day. And I am doing OK.

You could try PG. Or you could get some 80 proof vodka and take one drop as a test and wait. Then take 2 drops and wait. Etc. (No drinking the whole bottle! :laugh:) When I re-started my taper, I was so paranoid I made a cut so small it couldn't do a thing. Then I made a little bigger and a little bigger. Got me past my paranoia. :thumbsup:

Here's a paper on alcohol naturally occurring in foods and drinks. You'd be surprised!

http://oup.silverchair-cdn.com/oup/backfile/Content_public/Journal/jat/22/3/10.1093/jat/22.3.181/2/22-3-181.pdf?Expires=1485871673&Signature=KgXtwk3coZdo9RHLs5G6p8WeJAqvm~W2LmhJTTk7C~HtFfoPbR1QML~K6SDMxY9LOiXDbuLSRL2xr8YeUVsIAmwI2hlxGUzNLAjBl358LwaECed1M0u~uPWTWkCobyDWLYcgpWWvy1TEa-qVAeNtv2VMI8lCo5iDKWEyEHcIY~9YzEQF2X9f2d5ta-dXYc3e9hRdehhAGPKdOrlVHW2dSKT4XvTpBT3OtLFJKkcZGvIL1ODzuiECU~NWq7qs7KT5bQ~bV1OdLVxfoy-E2WtzreJqx87HcFEbbw69C2aJevHQesrlY6DOp8t5rOBBDqS9TBo0NDxA0mizMECCaNLX1Q__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIUCZBIA4LVPAVW3Q

You can do this!

Gard :smitten:

hi gard, thank you so much for the link! I have researched foods that unknowingly have alcohol in them and never ran across this one. One thing I was happy to see is dominos pizza on there as we have ordered pizza multiple times  :) I see a lot of the items have yeast, I live off almond butter and peanut butter sandwiches. So I eat bread everyday even though I know we aren't supposed to because of gluten  :-[ before I came to bb I was in Facebook groups and ran across a lady who taught me the vodka method. Her method was a little different then I see on here, and she has been tapering for awhile and has the method down. But she used 1 ml per 1 mg pill. At the time was going to go all liquid, so needed 3 mls alcohol. She also used 80 proof. Actually used tequila  :P then met a lady when became friends with and she tried the alcohol...... She said it hit her like a freight train, massive symptoms etc. then the GABA paranoia started creeping in. I actually took 3 mls of water and but it in a water bottle and put in on my dresser and stared at it for days  :laugh: then in came milk. I've heard lots of negatives, a few positives. And I was under the impression milk was a suspension not a solution, I asked builder about that. So more paranoia about the milk. Besides the fact that it has to made daily, refrigeration and the solubility etc.  Then I thought I'd go dry and liquid only liquefying 1 mg so would need only 1 ml alcohol. Although I've read on here you need more than that. So with 1 ml alcohol option started coming back. I'd rather use the alcohol for many reasons, but scared because of GABA stuff and because of lady saying hit like train major symptoms. Also my liver enzymes were elevated in January last year, but that was after my first cut from huge dose. In July last year they were normal. I have gene mutations so it is possible my liver is not detoxifying correctly, but I don't know that for sure. Another alcohol concern. I can't use pg unfortunately, I'm allergic to it or something. Or maybe the gene mutations don't methylated it. When I use face cream with pg my face burns on fire, and it turns to lactic acid in your body, which with the gene mutations that's a no way. Builder explained why we don't get full amount of alcohol. When you dose, do dose multiple times a day? Did you have major increase in symptoms or feel the quick absorption as described with the alcohol? I'd think on a full stomach would solve that but what do I know. Sorry for rambling.....  :-\ nicole

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Gr...]
    • [Ba...]
    • [...]
    • [Le...]
    • [El...]
    • [An...]
    • [Ta...]
    • [ro...]
    • [...]
    • [Jo...]
    • [mc...]