Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

Ah, memories. Geuax tigers! How long since I've seen you write that, Jeff? We have been at this way too long!

"Stay strong."  (More memories; now I'm getting sniffly.)

Gard :smitten:

I know, Gard. We need to get off this trashy drug stuff so we can go live a life. Oh....and Happy Thanksgiving to you!!!!

And to you, too, Jeff! Thanks!  :hug:

Totally on a tangent, my son got a recruitment email from LSU that said, "Geaux Tigers." So now I finally get it!

Gard :laugh:

NOW you're talking!! Way to geaux. You said 'recruitment email'. Is that for potentially being a student at LSU? Sports?

Hugsters!!!

Jeff

Ah, memories. Geuax tigers! How long since I've seen you write that, Jeff? We have been at this way too long!

"Stay strong."  (More memories; now I'm getting sniffly.)

Gard :smitten:

I know, Gard. We need to get off this trashy drug stuff so we can go live a life. Oh....and Happy Thanksgiving to you!!!!

And to you, too, Jeff! Thanks!  :hug:

Totally on a tangent, my son got a recruitment email from LSU that said, "Geaux Tigers." So now I finally get it!

Gard :laugh:

NOW you're talking!! Way to geaux. You said 'recruitment email'. Is that for potentially being a student at LSU? Sports?

Hugsters!!!

Jeff

No, not sports. He joined some academic honor society at our 2-year community college and they sold his info to dozens of 4-year colleges. LSU is just the latest. He doesn't even plan to go on past an associate's degree in web development, at least not at this point. But the mail keeps coming.

Geaux tigers, anyway! And why does my autocorrect keep chasing that to beaux tigers? Grrr! >:(

Gard

So does the cajun Santa say, "heaux, heaux, heaux!"

::)

'

Very cool, Bad!!! I could make a joke about Cajun pimps here, but I won't  :)

Have a fantabulous week!

Jeff

Benzeaux Buddies anyone?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry, I just had to.

Sharkey (who created this thread) would love all of this Cajun stuff. He went to LSU and so did I, so we kind of became friends. Next!!

I'm really frustrated. My daily micro taper has turned into an occasional day micro taper. I tapered for 10 days the begining of November and hit a wall. I was crying all day, in lots of pain, etc... you know how it goes. So I held for five days and was able to get back to my baseline and then I tapered for a couple of days and then held for three days. I did that through Thanksgiving and it seemed to go well. Then I decided I would try tapering for three days and holding for two. I tapered for three days and it went ok. I was starting to get some extra symptoms by day three so I held for three days. Then I tapered again for three day, the last three days actually. I hit a wall again. I've been crying all day and having various other symptoms. I started holding today. I was already feeling the symptoms on day two so I should have stopped then.

I don't get it. I'm only tapering .0019mg a day. I'm currently taking 1.2121mg, as of yesterday. I started at 1.25mg. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

I'm really frustrated. My daily micro taper has turned into an occasional day micro taper. I tapered for 10 days the begining of November and hit a wall. I was crying all day, in lots of pain, etc... you know how it goes. So I held for five days and was able to get back to my baseline and then I tapered for a couple of days and then held for three days. I did that through Thanksgiving and it seemed to go well. Then I decided I would try tapering for three days and holding for two. I tapered for three days and it went ok. I was starting to get some extra symptoms by day three so I held for three days. Then I tapered again for three day, the last three days actually. I hit a wall again. I've been crying all day and having various other symptoms. I started holding today. I was already feeling the symptoms on day two so I should have stopped then.

I don't get it. I'm only tapering .0019mg a day. I'm currently taking 1.2121mg, as of yesterday. I started at 1.25mg. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Seems like maybe you're going too fast. Have you considered cutting less each day or cutting every other day?

It could also be the stress of the holidays. Lots of people are just plain holding right now until after Christmas. Even if you don't have a lot of plans, memories and wanting things to be better during the holidays can add stress. And stress ramps up symptoms! We are very sensitive to stress when we are tapering. I read a quote from Ashton on that somewhere.

Sorry, I'm not a math guru, so can't give you help with that. :-\

Don't worry, you'll work this out and find a pace that works for you. It's good that you're listening to your body. :thumbsup:

Gard

Thanks

That's slow.  Even cutting every day it would be less than 5% a month.  As it was your pace was about 3% a month.  Not many people need to go that slow, but some do.  It sounds like you are unstable for some reason.  What was your history prior to this last month?  What kind of shape were you in when you began?  A long hold or updose might be a thing to try.  Take the time to set things right, then work to keep it that way.

Thanks

You'll find your niche. I'm at the point where I'm lucky if I can do one cut, hold for 4+ days and maybe do it again. It just depends on my anxiety etc. and what other life stressers I have going on. It's incredibly slow and incredibly frustrating, but I'm massively sensitive from multiple decades of high use. Faith!! You'll get there.

Jeff

Thanks guys,

SG, you asked about my histroy because it sounds like I'm unstable. You are correct.

In March I was forced to cut from 1mg of K to .75mg. I went through really bad withdrawal but it only lasted a couple of weeks and I was able to stabilize. At the time I was on Buproprion and had been suffering from agitation and akathisia side effects. When I reduced my dose of K the side effects increased but I was able to control them with the K for another couple of months by moving my k to dosing half in the morning and half at night. Otherwise I was completely disfunctionaly from the buproprioin side effects.

The end of May the k stopped working for the side effects and I ended up with severe akathisia all Memorial Day weekend. Went to my Dr on June 1 and he said to cut the Buproprion which I already had. Halving the dose didn't help with the akathisia but going off completely stopped it. So I ended up off of Buproprion Cold Turkey. It's not usually a bad one for withdrawal except I had been on it before and was kindled. I went into acute withdrawal. My doctor increased my K but that only helped for 10 days per each .25mg increase I gave myself and I didn't want to go any higher so I quit upping my dose. The doctor had said I could go up to 2mg a day. (I kept detailed records of all of this and I still do). Anyway I was at tolerance for the K .

In September after months of progressively getting better with lots of windows and lighter waves I started getting a lot worse and fast. My anxiety shot up, agoraphobia got really bad, stomach issues, jelly legs etc. After doing a lot of reading I believe I was in tolerance withdrawal from the K. (I had taken it years ago and probably kindled as soon as I started taking it in October last year). The symptoms just kept getting worse and worse. I also had interdose withdrawal so I liquified my doses, moved them around so I am taking three equal doses a day and then I started tapering because I don't want to updose anymore. Previous experience from updosing is that it did almost nothing and then in ten days I was back to where I had been. So I believe I am unstable but I don't think I have any choice but to go forward with the taper. I would love to know if you agree or have a different opinion or idea. Any advice is always appreciated.

Jeff, How much do you cut each time you cut? I'm super frustrated too and I haven't been at this half as long as you have. Is anxiety your main symptom? My two main symptoms are anxiety and agoraphobia. Not being able to get out is driving me nuts.

Gard, I was planning on holding for two to three weeks around Christmas but we just got confirmation from our son that he will be here for Christmas and my anxiety shot up. I have problems with hypersensitivity and another person in the house is not going to help that. Despite that I'm so happy he is going to be here for a couple of weeks. We haven't seen him in a year. He's in the military and has a year and a half left on active duty.

Thanks so much for listening and being there for me  :hug:

Thanks guys,

SG, you asked about my histroy because it sounds like I'm unstable. You are correct.

In March I was forced to cut from 1mg of K to .75mg. I went through really bad withdrawal but it only lasted a couple of weeks and I was able to stabilize. At the time I was on Buproprion and had been suffering from agitation and akathisia side effects. When I reduced my dose of K the side effects increased but I was able to control them with the K for another couple of months by moving my k to dosing half in the morning and half at night. Otherwise I was completely disfunctionaly from the buproprioin side effects.

The end of May the k stopped working for the side effects and I ended up with severe akathisia all Memorial Day weekend. Went to my Dr on June 1 and he said to cut the Buproprion which I already had. Halving the dose didn't help with the akathisia but going off completely stopped it. So I ended up off of Buproprion Cold Turkey. It's not usually a bad one for withdrawal except I had been on it before and was kindled. I went into acute withdrawal. My doctor increased my K but that only helped for 10 days per each .25mg increase I gave myself and I didn't want to go any higher so I quit upping my dose. The doctor had said I could go up to 2mg a day. (I kept detailed records of all of this and I still do). Anyway I was at tolerance for the K .

In September after months of progressively getting better with lots of windows and lighter waves I started getting a lot worse and fast. My anxiety shot up, agoraphobia got really bad, stomach issues, jelly legs etc. After doing a lot of reading I believe I was in tolerance withdrawal from the K. (I had taken it years ago and probably kindled as soon as I started taking it in October last year). The symptoms just kept getting worse and worse. I also had interdose withdrawal so I liquified my doses, moved them around so I am taking three equal doses a day and then I started tapering because I don't want to updose anymore. Previous experience from updosing is that it did almost nothing and then in ten days I was back to where I had been. So I believe I am unstable but I don't think I have any choice but to go forward with the taper. I would love to know if you agree or have a different opinion or idea. Any advice is always appreciated.

IDK.  That's a complicated set of events to sort out.  Updosing does not seem to be the answer and you have a hard time tapering anything at all ... 3%/month was giving you problems, if I remember.  Generally, I think if you can taper without making things worse then it is okay to taper, otherwise a long hold would seem to be your best option - just sit for a few months.  Have you seen the Long Hold support thread?  Doing that can be quite helpful.

Tntd: I was in a similar situation to you but w/o the other meds. The up dosing did not help me and I was in tolerance on K to the dose I was on.  I felt awful tapering, awful holding and awful up dosing.  I decided that the only way to feel better was to get off.  My feeling was if I was going to feel awful I may as well feel awful getting off of the drug. 

I did feel better often times when I cut or at least the awful horrible symptoms went away for part of the day. I did not really start feeling better until I got to the very low doses and now that I am off I am back to being functional.  I could not have survived a long taper with long holds because it made me worse rather than better. There are some of us like me on this forum - we felt better on the low doses and we are now all off of benzos and feeling much healthier (not perfect but living our lives). 

I know Gilster, Nomo,  NYC Wave rider, Ninja, Clona, Bennie and even some others  (we were all on the K Klub board but hardly post there anymore) -  who did not do long holds and are now off and all of us feel better.  You need to figure out what works for you - since we are all so different but for me it is definitely being off of the benzos which were acting like a poison to me.  It was these buddies who helped me survive my taper - your buddies will see you through these tough times but you can get off and feel better. 

tntd, I'm so sorry you've been through such a complicated mess with your meds. And now your son is coming. I can certainly understand how that could be stressful no matter how glad you are to see him. It upsets the routine. I hope he is understanding about your difficulties.

K does seem to be a tricky drug. You might try reading on Long Hold and see if there are any K people over there. There's also the option of tapering really, really slowly. Like 2%/month. It can be psychologically helpful to know you are moving forward even if at a snail's pace.

I'm so sorry about the agoraphobia. I wonder if there is a support thread for that. It is such a common symptom. It limits me quite a bit but I'm not completely housebound. Are you able to get out if your husband takes you? I would think that even the shortest of trips with your husband driving would give your brain a bit of confidence, even if you didn't get out of the car.

Wish I had some experience with K to give advice. Scratch that! Glad I don't! Xanax and Librium have been bad enough. :sick:

One day at a time. Baby steps. We'll all get off of this stuff.

Gard

kgirl, Thanks so much for your response. I have been reading your log so I'm aware of some of your trials. I'm still more towards the begining of your story though. I'm also on K Klub and have interacted with many of the people you have mentioned but right as I started joining in so many of them jumped and or stopped posting much. The ones that have posted have been wonderful and have helped me not feel so alone. Agoraphobia is so isolating.

I have also noticed that I sometimes feel better when I do a cut. The first or usually the second day for just a bit and then the withdrawal symptoms hit. On top of that my cycle makes things worse and then there is no relief. Even before I started tapering I would end up with horrible withdrawal symptoms like being back in acute during the second half of my cycle.

SG, Thank you for your response too. I am in tolerance and I had been holding at this dose since July. The longer I held the worse I felt. I have noticed as Kgirl mentioned that there are times when I actually feel a little better after cutting. That's usually within the first day or two and then the withdrawal symptoms kick in. I seemed to do ok with a c/c/h/h/h pattern. I think I will go back to doing that after I stabilize from this last cut. Well, maybe after Christmas so there will be a bit of a built in hold. I do have a baseline withdrawal miserable and that is where I try to get to before I cut again. So at 12 cuts a month I will be cutting .0228mg a month. That's if I can stay at the same micro dose as I decrease and it become a bigger percentage of my dose.

I had planned on waiting until I was stable for a few month after my CT from the AD but when I developed tolerance that kind of went out the window. If holding made me feel better I would definitely do it but so far that has not been the case. I really appreciate your recommendations though. I will still check out the long hold thread to see what they have to say. You can never get to much information on how best to go through this.

Gard, Thanks for the support. You nailed it when you said that my son coming home is stressful no matter how glad I am to see him. He knows what's going on and is as supportive as the rest of the family but he hasn't seen it in person yet.

I am planning on moving forward at a snails pace. I'm not sure what the percentage will be. I'm usually really good at math but with the cog fog I get confused with it. I can still do basic stuff but some of these calculations that I would normally get no problem have me completely confused. I'm using a spreadsheet to help with my calculations though now I'm just marking the days that I'm cutting. I think I calculated that at 12 days a month it will be about 1.67% a month. Of course I know that changes as I reduce but that is getting to complicated now!!

Right now I'm working on acceptance with the realization that this is going to take longer than I thought it would.

There is an agoraphobia thread but it isn't very active. I like your idea of just getting in the car and letting my husband drive me around. I'm not sure I can do it but it's something to think about and maybe give a try.

This has been so frustrating, it was supposed to be the tolerable way to taper!!

I really appreciate your listening and your suggestions.  :smitten:  :hug:

Thanks guys,

Jeff, How much do you cut each time you cut? I'm super frustrated too and I haven't been at this half as long as you have. Is anxiety your main symptom? My two main symptoms are anxiety and agoraphobia. Not being able to get out is driving me nuts.

Gard, I was planning on holding for two to three weeks around Christmas but we just got confirmation from our son that he will be here for Christmas and my anxiety shot up. I have problems with hypersensitivity and another person in the house is not going to help that. Despite that I'm so happy he is going to be here for a couple of weeks. We haven't seen him in a year. He's in the military and has a year and a half left on active duty.

Thanks so much for listening and being there for me  :hug:

Hey tnt!

I'm anything but the smartest guy out there, but I can say that WOW! You're body and brain have been through a ton!! I relate to your story more than I can say. It sounds like your body is desperate for you to chill for a while. I haven't read how SG or Gard responded to you, but if I were in your shoes I would hold, get stable and as happy as you can for a chunk of time, and then reevaluate and move forward slowly. All of that is just based on my experience though. If I were your brain, then I'd be really confused too based on all that's been going on in your life. I don't think it ever hurts to slow down and let your body "catch up". And yes, anxiety has by far been my biggest obstacle overall during the past year and a half of the K taper. Before that, I spent about a year and a half getting off all the other PD's that docs had me on. Depression has its fun with me too on many days. I kind of felt "that less is more" as far as finding help with sx...I quit trying to find different supplements that would help with this or help with that. I stick with a clean diet (mostly healthy fats, small amount of protein and carbs) along with drinking a boatload of water every single day to help flush out all the rotten stuff. I also make myself move everyday. I at least do SOMETHING, whether it's walking, light jog, bike a little, get out in the sun (really important), etc. In addition, I'm a strong believer in doing whatever can be done to maintain a positive mindset. Find a strong, positive mantra of your own and repeat it to yourself in good and bad times. If you believe in a higher power, then put that in front of you more than the rough challenges and negative thoughts. Find someone you trust and talk out your feelings. It's perfectly fine to feel the way you feel and it's healing and calming to let it out. Meditation can be so simple and powerful too. Meditate on your higher power beliefs or meditate on nothing...whatever resonates with you. Just be YOU!

I see where you mentioned agoraphobia. Yep, that's nailed me too, but I make myself get out. Even if it's only in my backyard or walking my dog. If I don't, then it becomes a cumulative effect to where I stay in more and more, and get out less and less. I'd strongly encourage you to get out in some capacity. We're social beings, so it's healing to be around others as best we can. Just think of it as part of the overall healing that you're going through. Instead of popping a couple pills/supplements to help with anxiety etc., just be around a couple of supportive people. It's a lasting healing. You can do it!!

How much do I cut? Since I hit 1.25mg/day, it's been low and slow. I didn't exactly cruise from 6mg down to where I am today at 1.05. I've heard a lot of people say that they could fly down if they were on a high dose to begin with. I fought it every step of the way. These days, I only cut about 1/2mL when I do cut. I'll put two of my 1mg K tablets in 200mL of liquid and then cut the 1/2mL (spread over three doses). It's just easier that way. I try to be as consistent as I can so my body stays fairly "stable" as far as K blood levels go, but it's not always perfect. I don't worry about percentages, trying to do so much in a certain amount of time, or keeping up with the Jone's. I just do it and go on about my day. Obsessing over things just brings us down.

You mentioned hypersensitivity too. I'm not sure to what degree you struggle with that, but mine has been unbelievably challenging my entire life.  The K taper has only made it worse, BUT it helped a lot to learn more about being a "highly sensitive person". I didn't even know it was a real diagnosis. Check out http://hsperson.com/ sometime. It's O.K. though because it's O.K. to be you!

Oh, and enjoy your son! I 100% understand your anxiety about him coming home, but you'll see; when he gets there and things settle down, you'll be really happy that he's there. I bet you all end up having a super time over the holidays. Gotta cherish him while he's with you  ;)

Believe in yourself, keep the strong faith, trust yourself, and be willing to learn about yourself and make mistakes along the journey. All of this craziness will just make you a better version of yourself. Keep on rockin' it!!!

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for your wonderful reply.

Right now I go to the hospital once a week. I have a DBT group that I go to and I try to make all of my appointments on that day. The next day my symptoms are usually a lot worse. I look forward to and dread the weekly DBT group as that is when I get to socialize but it is so hard to make myself go. The anxiety goes through the roof. I'm often trembling by the time I get there but it is so nice to see everyone.

I also have a dog that I have to take out a few times a day so that helps me get out. Other than that I can make plans but the terror of walking out that door keeps me from following through.

I'm really confused that everyone keeps telling me to hold. I have tolerance withdrawal and the symptoms just keep getting worse as I hold. The windows and light waves that I used to have are gone and now it's just waves of various intensity. I don't know how holding would make that better. Am I missing something?

I need to find a mantra and write it down and stick it to something I see every day. I think I will get my husband to help me with that. I really like that idea. I used to have postitive affirmations all over the place but I got so used to them I stopped using them. I think if I had just one mantra it might work better  :)

I try to eat a healthy diet. We mostly eat paleo and have for years but we have our moments when we give ourselves treats. I have not been able to exercise. Every time I do I end with an anxiety attack. Even gentle walking outside did it. I've been trying to persuade myself for days to get on the treadmill and just walk at the slowest speed. I even did yoga and ended up with an anxiety attack  :o 

I'm planning on getting a light box as we don't have much sun currently. I tend to get a little down this time of year even when I wasn't on any meds. I'm also planning on holding through the holidays as the stress is not helping the symptoms.

I meditate every day. I feel like I should do it more often then I do but I do it at least once a day. Usually two times a day.

I'm really looking forward to my son coming home. I'm trying to concentrate on that more than the anxiety of having another person in the house. You are so right we have to cherish them while we can.

I'm still feeling frustrated by the amount of time this is going to take. I do feel better when I cut twice and hold for three days so that is probably what I'm going to end up doing. I have no idea how long that will take, years at the least. It's hard to imagine feeling like this for years so I try to focus on one day at a time and accept that this is the way it is for me. I also know that I'm not feeling my baseline withdrawal normal right now so everything seems a little worse. Though that normal as I mentioned earlier is mostly a wave that varies in intensity. I don't remember the last time I had a window but I know I got out of the house for as long as I could. The agoraphobia always lifts in a window.

Thanks for all your good ideas and support,

:hug:

Tntd: I also had awful agoraphobia. What I will tell you is that it is definitely the drug doing this to you. What I suggest is that you look into joining Recovery Road. I know Gilster did this (Just PM her) and found it a great help to her since she could skype vs getting out the door so to speak.  I also found that light exercise (I did yoga) saved me. I couldn't do much more than yoga since everything else revved me up in the beginning but then after I felt a bit better I started walking - just 10 minutes a day to start then up to around 2 miles. If I could not go outside I did Leslie Sansone's walking you tubes - they are free and she starts really slow.  Movement does help.  I could not get to the gym but  you can find so many you tubes for yoga, walking -really anything you can do it at home. 

I know what you mean about holding - it never helped me at all - the longer I held the worse I felt and I did do a long hold because my daughter got married and I wanted to feel good- it didn't happen.    It send me down a black hole and every time I tried to hold again I would just get worse and worse. For some of us the drug acts like a poison - I am convinced of this and the only thing that helps is to get off. I still could not rush my taper but I felt much better on the lower doses than when I 1st started to taper and I actually got windows as well or at least 'nights' off.  I did wish that the holds helped me - but you only learn by trying something out - and we each need to go with what works for us.  It is not one thing - for anyone- so go with what you feel is right for you. 

Builder or SG,

Would liquefy ing more than 1 mg of v possibly reduce morning nausea?  I thought it was a stomach bug but not going away. Is there any info on less nausea if you drink your valium.  I take 1/2 dose at 11pm and the other half when I wake up around 3.

[71...]

I'm really confused that everyone keeps telling me to hold. I have tolerance withdrawal and the symptoms just keep getting worse as I hold. The windows and light waves that I used to have are gone and now it's just waves of various intensity. I don't know how holding would make that better. Am I missing something?

fwiw - I also do not understand.  It doesn't make sense to me.  If you're sure that you're in tolerance withdrawal, I'd suggest just tapering slowly until you get off the stuff.  Probably won't be a nice ride down, but you'll get there eventually.  For people in tolerance withdrawal, I feel that zero benzos is the only way to (eventually) get past the symptoms.