Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

SG, We are all pulling for you!!!! Please check in when you can.

Gard :smitten:

SG.... I'm with Gard.... I had no idea my friend that you were struggling with a particular health issue.... I'm pulling for you too and thinking of you to get better fast and over this hump..... Healing vibes to you....

Thanks PBH and Gard and everyone. It has nothing to do with benzos. I will remove the mystery - it's a kidney stone and it is too big to pass (5mm) so I am getting it shattered on Wednesday. They will use ultrasound so there will be no cutting, but it still requires anesthesia.

My life has been a living nightmare since Monday as I was not able to find a reasonable way to limit the pain, but yesterday at my pre-op physical I got an injection that worked. I now have that drug in pill form as well as a stronger narcotic pain killer, so hopefully these will get me to Wednesday. I can't wait. When the pain kicks in it makes my benzo problem seem like a walk in the park.

OUCH, OUCH, OUCH! My dad had that and it was the only time he took off work in his whole life. Terribly painful. Sure wish you could get the procedure sooner. :(

Very glad to hear you were able to get some relief in the meantime. Sure do hope it continues to help until Wednesday.

Gard

SG.... I'm with Gard.... I had no idea my friend that you were struggling with a particular health issue.... I'm pulling for you too and thinking of you to get better fast and over this hump..... Healing vibes to you....

Thanks PBH and Gard and everyone. It has nothing to do with benzos. I will remove the mystery - it's a kidney stone and it is too big to pass (5mm) so I am getting it shattered on Wednesday. They will use ultrasound so there will be no cutting, but it still requires anesthesia.

My life has been a living nightmare since Monday as I was not able to find a reasonable way to limit the pain, but yesterday at my pre-op physical I got an injection that worked. I now have that drug in pill form as well as a stronger narcotic pain killer, so hopefully these will get me to Wednesday. I can't wait. When the pain kicks in it makes my benzo problem seem like a walk in the park.

OUCH, OUCH, OUCH! My dad had that and it was the only time he took off work in his whole life. Terribly painful. Sure wish you could get the procedure sooner. :(

Very glad to hear you were able to get some relief in the meantime. Sure do hope it continues to help until Wednesday.

Gard

That is very odd that they aren't dealing with it immediately. My father has had multiple stones and they always admit him to the hospital as soon as he walks in. I had to carry him out to the car a couple of times. Why are they waiting until Wednesday?!!

SG-

My deepest sympathy!!! :( :( :(

I had a 4.6 about 10 years ago and the pain was indescribable.  And I too was told I would have to wait 4 days for surgery.

Fortunately a very caring young doc at an immediate care facility intervened, and 1) hospitalized me so I could be put in heavy painkillers, and 2) pulled some strings and arranged surgery for the next day (a Sunday!)

I still wonder if that horrible experience is what initiated the onset of my severe GAD, and my adventure with diazepam.

That's what I keep telling my wife - this should be treated as an emergency situation.  Instead they tell me that if the pain gets to be too much, go to the ER for a pain injection.  Well, by the time I get there and get processed I will have suffered for an hour at least, and the intense pain episode will be over.  And I hate being on these pain killers for days on end.

I think instinctively that after a month, My taper rate is too slow. I was going to wait til after holidays but tonight I'm raising from.030 to .0330 for 5 nites and increase to .035 until till after holidays.  Depending how I feel  Jan 1st. I will plan my next step. I took a low potency benzo,temazapam, and hopefully this will give me some room to experiment. Nows the time to raise the cut rate at this high amount of v.  Later I'm sure the decrease will happen. I feel I'm losing oportunity now to expell the valium from my body, even if it's really a small difference.  Any feedback would me appreciated.

IMO, there is no such thing as "...too slow". If you go "slower than necessary", it will take longer, but will never cause you any problems.

I'm not trying to discourage you from speeding up, just pointing out that there is no real necessity to go faster.

I know this is a personal decision and there is no right or wrong answer.  I realized this week, I am in the great minority here. There was a Temazapam klub that fizzled after 3 posts.  This drug is a different animal although a highly addictive benzo.  It appears my group doesn't Come to this forum. Why?  I am completely grateful for the dmt plan and this group.  But no one addresses potency. This could kick me in the face (which I'm used to in the last 6 months).  But ashton had a range.  1mg. Per 2 weeks through 1 month in beginning. I'm currently taking the ultra conservative route. I feel good now,  normal again,  but the fact that I daily take 10 mg of valium ,makes me feel like this is just a cover up.  I know i have to go through this process but to  take unnecessary  extra time is not good for my entire endocrine system. Valium is a life saver for me but it's a nasty drug.    IF ANYONE KNOWS OF OTHER TEMAZ PEOPLE I CAN COMMUNICATE WITH PLEASE LET ME KNOW.  This could bite me.  I WILL BACK OFF IF THAT HAPPENS.

SG-

My deepest sympathy!!! :( :( :(

I had a 4.6 about 10 years ago and the pain was indescribable.  And I too was told I would have to wait 4 days for surgery.

Fortunately a very caring young doc at an immediate care facility intervened, and 1) hospitalized me so I could be put in heavy painkillers, and 2) pulled some strings and arranged surgery for the next day (a Sunday!)

I still wonder if that horrible experience is what initiated the onset of my severe GAD, and my adventure with diazepam.

That's what I keep telling my wife - this should be treated as an emergency situation.  Instead they tell me that if the pain gets to be too much, go to the ER for a pain injection.  Well, by the time I get there and get processed I will have suffered for an hour at least, and the intense pain episode will be over.  And I hate being on these pain killers for days on end.

Well, here is some history that really isn't benzo related, and probably of little interest to most folks here, but...

I am fortunate to live in a "high density medical services"  area.  Within a 50 mile radius, we have 3 teaching hospitals, including one truly world-class hospital/med services complex.

My KS sxs started on a Fri afternoon.  I suspected it was a kidney  stone, and had my wife drive me a one of the university systems and went to immediate care.  They confirmed  the KS diagnosis and sent me to the adjacent ER.  ER gave me huge dose of Dilaudid (wonderful stuff!!  ;) ) did CT scan, noted the size of the stone and scheduled surgery for the following Tuesday (4 days off!)

I spent the night with my son and DIL, (who live near the hospital).  My DIL was a nurse at the hospital, and was really upset that they just sent me home.  She took me back the next AM and demanded that I be seen by the Attending Physician.  But they just catheterized me, gave me a scrip for Percocet, and again, sent me home.  I went back to son and DIL house.

When my pain became severe that evening, my son called his neighbor (a kidney doc) .  He told my son "Take in back to immediate care, I'll make phone a call, and pull some strings."  I went back immediate care (now in unbearable pain).  He gave me another dose of Dilaudid, and said "You need surgery, and you need pain management, and I will make that happen".  He had me admitted to the hospital, where they gave me morphine through the night,  whenever I asked for it, and I was scheduled for surgery at 7 AM the next morning (Sunday!)

My wonderful GP, my doc of many years, handled my post-op recovery (which unfortuantely lasted several months)  And as a side note, one of the area hospital/services complex has opened a 24/7 dedicated kidney stone treatment facility.  I have them in my speed-dial list!  ::)

Really wishing you all the best.  People who have not experienced this really can't understand how horrible it can be.

Isn't it amazing that you had to have "strings pulled" for immediate medical care that was an emergency.  People that don't have connections are left to suffer unnecessary. 

Gard

That is very odd that they aren't dealing with it immediately. My father has had multiple stones and they always admit him to the hospital as soon as he walks in. I had to carry him out to the car a couple of times. Why are they waiting until Wednesday?!!

Hi SG,

I am so sorry for what you are going through (have gone through since Monday).  Hopefully, the medication will help with the severe pain until you go in for your treatment on Wednesday.  Please know that you are in my thoughts, and I wish you a speedy recovery.  It is terrible that you must wait for so long, in agonizing pain, for a medical procedure that should and could be done much sooner. 

All the best

Anne  :smitten:

Isn't it amazing that you had to have "strings pulled" for immediate medical care that was an emergency.  People that don't have connections are left to suffer unnecessary.

For better or worse, I will admit that I'm glad I had a DIL that was a nurse at the hospital,  that my son's neighbor was a  doc, and that the immediate care doc was a caring doc that was not afraid to challenge his own bureaucracy.

For better or worse, I will admit that I'm glad I had a DIL that was a nurse at the hospital,  that my son's neighbor was a  doc, and that the immediate care doc was a caring doc that was not afraid to challenge his own bureaucracy.

Sounds like for better to me... ;D

SG - A lot of love and support here for you! (and I'm right here with them)

What a great community.......I'm touched beyond words......

hoping they get you in sooner! Fingers crossed.......

Well, here is some history that really isn't benzo related, and probably of little interest to most folks here, but...

I am fortunate to live in a "high density medical services"  area.  Within a 50 mile radius, we have 3 teaching hospitals, including one truly world-class hospital/med services complex.

My KS sxs started on a Fri afternoon.  I suspected it was a kidney  stone, and had my wife drive me a one of the university systems and went to immediate care.  They confirmed  the KS diagnosis and sent me to the adjacent ER.  ER gave me huge dose of Dilaudid (wonderful stuff!!  ;) ) did CT scan, noted the size of the stone and scheduled surgery for the following Tuesday (4 days off!)

I spent the night with my son and DIL, (who live near the hospital).  My DIL was a nurse at the hospital, and was really upset that they just sent me home.  She took me back the next AM and demanded that I be seen by the Attending Physician.  But they just catheterized me, gave me a scrip for Percocet, and again, sent me home.  I went back to son and DIL house.

When my pain became severe that evening, my son called his neighbor (a kidney doc) .  He told my son "Take in back to immediate care, I'll make phone a call, and pull some strings."  I went back immediate care (now in unbearable pain).  He gave me another dose of Dilaudid, and said "You need surgery, and you need pain management, and I will make that happen".  He had me admitted to the hospital, where they gave me morphine through the night,  whenever I asked for it, and I was scheduled for surgery at 7 AM the next morning (Sunday!)

My wonderful GP, my doc of many years, handled my post-op recovery (which unfortuantely lasted several months)  And as a side note, one of the area hospital/services complex has opened a 24/7 dedicated kidney stone treatment facility.  I have them in my speed-dial list!  ::)

Really wishing you all the best.  People who have not experienced this really can't understand how horrible it can be.

Dilaudid - that's the narcotic I have.  And they also gave me ketorolac.  I've been using the Dilaudid today and it has been very effective.  My worry is I might need to be on it continuously until Wednesday and might for a dependency.

I am overwhelmed by all the supportive posts from everyone. :angel:

Hi all! 9 mg as of today!  :laugh: Dropped 4 mg in just under 4 months. The mt has been great for me.

I need to make my own liquid. The compounded one is just too expensive. I will use one of the old bottles, rinsed, and use 30 ml of H20 with 3 10 mg pills. I forget the amount of alcohol suggested to dissolve the pills prior to adding water. Can somone remind me or give me a link? Much appreciated! aloha, HM

Just wanted to make you aware that making stronger concentrations of the water/alcohol liquid at home requires use of more alcohol to keep the benzo dissolved.  I like to see people make liquids no higher than .01mg/ml since, at this strength, the water itself can keep the benzo dissolved.  If you wanted to go up to 1mg/ml the final liquid would need to be adjusted by adding more alcohol to ensure that the benzo is in a stable solution.

SG, Kidney stones run in my family. My mother had so many they had to put her on some sort of medication to block production of them. My husband had one recently but he was able to use something called gravel root and it dissolved the stone.

...though Builder once told me if you have to hold or updose often (I don't know what is considered often) then you are not tapering at a rate your body can keep up with. Right now I'm on a five year schedule which doesn't thrill me but I'm better than I was when I was pulling .1 ml per day

But we also know those who had to start really slow but were able to speed up as they reduced. Right? :)--V

The fundamental principal of tapering is that by gradually lowering our dose, we are trying to match the  rate we decrease the dosage to the rate at which the body can recover. So, obviously, it's possible to taper too fast, and experience WD sxs, and it's also possible to taper more slowly than necessary.  If you start slower than necessary, then certainly you could speed up, if you chose to.

Because of my previous failures with C&H, I chose a very slow rate when I started my daily taper.  I didn't try to speed up, but in retrospect, I feel certain I could have gone faster.  But other than taking longer to get off, there was absolutely no risk, no harm, by going unnecessarily slow.

If your taper rate doesn't not exceed your recovery (healing) rate, you should not experience significant withdrawal sxs.

But almost everyone on BB seems to think that benzos and withdrawing are the only things that effect our body, our psyche, our daily lives.  But not every anxious day, every nervous stomach, every sleepless night, every headache, etc, is related to your benzo use and benzo withdrawal.

Everyone of us was prescribed a benzo because we were suffering from some underlying condition or disorder.  And benzos did NOT cure any of those problems.  So it seems pretty likely that some folks still suffer from the original problem.

Many here have been or still are on other meds.  Many have ongoing personal/family/financial/professional problems.  And normal ("non-benzo") people get headaches, upset stomach, sleepless nights, etc, etc.

Just because you experience some symptom or conditiion during your taper does NOT mean it has to be a benzo related withdrawal symptom.

Hi Builder,

I am wondering if the comment "if your taper rate doesn't exceed your recovery (healing) rate, you should not experience significant withdrawal sxs", also applies to people in tolerance withdrawal who already have symptoms. For example I have anxiety, agoraphobia, tremor, cog fog and some other symptoms. Since I'm already experiencing "withdrawal symptoms" do I just try to taper at a rate that doesn't make them worse, would that be my goal?

I'm hoping that as I taper the symptoms will actually decrease, is that a possibility if I taper really slowly. Currently tapering at a rate of .0019mg a day landed me in a world of hurt.

Thanks for you help in clarifying this.

Hi all! 9 mg as of today!  :laugh: Dropped 4 mg in just under 4 months. The mt has been great for me.

I need to make my own liquid. The compounded one is just too expensive. I will use one of the old bottles, rinsed, and use 30 ml of H20 with 3 10 mg pills. I forget the amount of alcohol suggested to dissolve the pills prior to adding water. Can somone remind me or give me a link? Much appreciated! aloha, HM

Just wanted to make you aware that making stronger concentrations of the water/alcohol liquid at home requires use of more alcohol to keep the benzo dissolved.  I like to see people make liquids no higher than .01mg/ml since, at this strength, the water itself can keep the benzo dissolved.  If you wanted to go up to 1mg/ml the final liquid would need to be adjusted by adding more alcohol to ensure that the benzo is in a stable solution.

builder or SG, I'm OK with my 3ml 80 proof vodka per 5mg L diluted to 100ml, right?

Gard

Quite happy pulling .025 per day.  The lower I got the slower I had to go.  It would have been easier on body and mind if I had gone slower at first.  That's ok I've learned.  This taper I can cope with.  Blood pressure is more balanced sleep finally became better.  I'm determined.  Rushing did me know good at all.  Its worth the time.  Best to all! :thumbsup:

SG I am praying for you to get relief and to get the procedure quickly!  Is mixing the benzo with alcohol and not just water necessary if you're going to take the dose immediately?  I'm not up on the math everyone says is easy, but what I do is decide I'm going to taper say .25 mg Ativan over a 2 month period so I mix the .25 mg with 60 ml of water every day and the first day discard 1 ml and take the rest, day 2 discard 2 ml and take the rest. Does that make sense and since I'm taking it right away do I need to use alcohol?  I crush the pill and it looks to me like a pretty uniform suspension but I kind of agitate the solution when I'm drawing off the part I'll discard.  Builder, your opinion?  Thanks.

builder or SG, I'm OK with my 3ml 80 proof vodka per 5mg L diluted to 100ml, right?

Gard

Has it been working?  That really does trump everything else.  My numbers say 80 proof alcohol will dissolve 2.89mg/ml of L, so if you are using 3ml you should be fine.  Then it goes into 100ml of what is essentially water (3ml alcohol and 97ml water is essentially water).  5mg in 100ml is a .05mg/ml strength and the data I have says L can go up to .11mg/ml in plain water, so you should be all set as far as the data indicates.  This info is all on the forum in the old solubility thread.  But again, the best test is if it is actually working for you.

SG I am praying for you to get relief and to get the procedure quickly!  Is mixing the benzo with alcohol and not just water necessary if you're going to take the dose immediately?  I'm not up on the math everyone says is easy, but what I do is decide I'm going to taper say .25 mg Ativan over a 2 month period so I mix the .25 mg with 60 ml of water every day and the first day discard 1 ml and take the rest, day 2 discard 2 ml and take the rest. Does that make sense and since I'm taking it right away do I need to use alcohol?  I crush the pill and it looks to me like a pretty uniform suspension but I kind of agitate the solution when I'm drawing off the part I'll discard.  Builder, your opinion?  Thanks.

If you are trying to be accurate, yes, it does matter.  The alcohol ensures the benzo is even in the liquid.  If you don't do this you are relying on the poor suspending qualities of water.  This does not mean you can't get it to work, but it is more difficult and error-prone.  When you go to make cuts and divide doses it will be less accurate.

Dilaudid - that's the narcotic I have.  And they also gave me ketorolac.  I've been using the Dilaudid today and it has been very effective.  My worry is I might need to be on it continuously until Wednesday and might for a dependency.

I am overwhelmed by all the supportive posts from everyone. :angel:

That short time frame should not cause any concerns about dependency.

But be forwarned, Dilaudid often causes, uhh...urinary difficulties.  It's only a short-term side effect, but that's the reason they catheterized me when I returned to the ER.

But given the pain I was in, there was NO side effect that could be worse than the pain.  I would have taken anything they were willing to give me.  And yes, I would definitely have risked a short term dependency and withdrawal, if necessary.

If you are trying to be accurate, yes, it does matter.  The alcohol ensures the benzo is even in the liquid.  If you don't do this you are relying on the poor suspending qualities of water.  This does not mean you can't get it to work, but it is more difficult and error-prone.  When you go to make cuts and divide doses it will be less accurate.

Ok, good to know. Thanks.

Hi Builder,

I am wondering if the comment "if your taper rate doesn't exceed your recovery (healing) rate, you should not experience significant withdrawal sxs", also applies to people in tolerance withdrawal who already have symptoms. For example I have anxiety, agoraphobia, tremor, cog fog and some other symptoms. Since I'm already experiencing "withdrawal symptoms" do I just try to taper at a rate that doesn't make them worse, would that be my goal?

I'm hoping that as I taper the symptoms will actually decrease, is that a possibility if I taper really slowly. Currently tapering at a rate of .0019mg a day landed me in a world of hurt.

I have no personal experience with tolerance withdrawal, but based on Colin's comments on the start of the forum, there really is no taper protocol that helps, except to withdraw as quickly as possible.  If you are already in withdrawal, no taper protocol is going to relieve that.

Hi Builder,

I have no personal experience with tolerance withdrawal, but based on Colin's comments on the start of the forum, there really is no taper protocol that helps, except to withdraw as quickly as possible.  If you are already in withdrawal, no taper protocol is going to relieve that.

I actually think it's possible to get at least partly out of tolerance withdrawal.  I was debillitated by it, but partway through my taper I was able to do more than I had done for about 8 years.  Went too fast, though and started to become non-functional again. Holding until it passes.  I met another person who was in tolerance and she updosed a little and got stable then tapered and did fine with it.  It's hard to tell what will happen I guess, but I think it's at least possible to get better while tapering if you go slow enough.

Gard

Has it been working?  That really does trump everything else.  My numbers say 80 proof alcohol will dissolve 2.89mg/ml of L, so if you are using 3ml you should be fine.  Then it goes into 100ml of what is essentially water (3ml alcohol and 97ml water is essentially water).  5mg in 100ml is a .05mg/ml strength and the data I have says L can go up to .11mg/ml in plain water, so you should be all set as far as the data indicates.  This info is all on the forum in the old solubility thread.  But again, the best test is if it is actually working for you.

Thanks. I have only been dissolving and not pulling. It's been so long since I pulled that I couldn't remember. Not sure I understand the part about the .11mg/ml, but I know you do, so I'm all set! I'm going to make a very tiny cut tonight in spite of my neuropathy. I just can't go on holding forever.

I'm also wondering if holding my reduced Q is what's causing this and I should just go back to the whole darn tablet and come back to the Q taper later. Any gut feeling on that? I went from 25mg to 17 mg. Have been miserable since I got below 20mg. I'm doing it via water suspension. It's very stressful to be liquefying so many different meds. Maybe I ought to just go back to the whole 25mg Q tablet and focus on the benzo since I can't get down to zero on the Q anyway. Does that make sense?

On the other hand, something has caused me to start twitching and I'm afraid it's the Q. Ugh!

Gard

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Ab...]
    • [Ch...]
    • [pi...]
    • [Gi...]
    • [TH...]
    • [...]
    • [Tr...]
    • [...]
    • [mo...]
    • [Id...]