Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

SG,

Thanks for answering. I had the worst wave of my taper and it lasted almost two months. I have just been out of it for like a week and a half. I don't know why it happened. I didn't even feel my last two cuts. Updosing makes me worse. I was cutting weekly or biweekly. I have been holding a little over a month. I want to start tapering again in a week or two but I want to try something different that is hopefully easier on my body. Physically my wave was bad and I have been having gut and hormonal issues. I have appts, testing and I have to work on healing my gut etc. so I want to start very slow like 5-8%. I want to try MT or some version of it.  I don't know if most who MT Valium cut every day. I am willing to try that but I think I may need some holds built in. I feel cuts right away and my body doesn't like a lot of change at once. You really helped me with my c/o and then with cutting every 3-5 days.

I was considering trying liquid but I think I will wait until I figure out my taper. I am scared my gut won't tolerate it or I will metabolize it faster.

My doses are also uneven. I just switched back to dosing every 8 hrs last week so things are more even. I had been taking my 2nd dose after 7 hrs because of inter-dose. I also am taking 3.5mgs when I wake up and before bed and 3mgs as my second dose. I am thinking of evening them out slowly in the next week. I am using all 2mgs pills and they weigh .150g.

I would really appreciate your advice. I hope you are doing well.

Thanks

:smitten:

Maya

I'm glad you have held for a month.  Once you get in the weeds it can take quite a while to fix it.  If you do taper, I'd pick a very slow monthly percentage to start, and keep cuts small.  Continued holding might be a good idea right now though.  Have you seen the long hold support thread?  They have people who hold many months.

If you have 2mg V pills that weigh .150g, that is fairly accurate.  You may not need to switch to liquid.  You could even your doses, but it does not sound too bad right now as it is.

I'm only a week into probably a year long microtaper. My question is this: once you find your daily sweet spot of reduction ( Now mine is .030). Does it typically have to be adjusted down at the end.    Or does the microtaper process have the advantage of stability without adjusting downward at the end?

I'm only a week into probably a year long microtaper. My question is this: once you find your daily sweet spot of reduction ( Now mine is .030). Does it typically have to be adjusted down at the end.    Or does the microtaper process have the advantage of stability without adjusting downward at the end?

Cut size needs to be reduced as you go down.  What most people usually do is ride the same cut until their body tells them it is too big.  As dose (blood concentration) gets smaller the same change in dose exposes more receptors.  This is just the way concentration works and is the same for all drugs we take.  To counteract this effect a smaller cut is made.  This is why we need to cut smaller.

I'm glad you have held for a month.  Once you get in the weeds it can take quite a while to fix it.  If you do taper, I'd pick a very slow monthly percentage to start, and keep cuts small.  Continued holding might be a good idea right now though.  Have you seen the long hold support thread?  They have people who hold many months.

If you have 2mg V pills that weigh .150g, that is fairly accurate.  You may not need to switch to liquid.  You could even your doses, but it does not sound too bad right now as it is.

I will not push myself if I am doing really bad especially with eating. I may also have been recovering from taking July off to taper off protonix. It can affect v levels and GABA. I also stopped my TCM herbs. Regardless I am back to where I feel comfortable to start tapering again. I am going to start tapering again probably on the 6th just to be careful which will put me over 6 weeks of holding. I have seen that thread. It seems to be helping some and that is great. I don't feel that holding past two months is a good idea for me unless I really have to because of starting in severe tolerance withdrawal and with bad side effects of very long term and high dose use. I usually feel best after I cut.I know some on that thread dispute the fact that tolerance withdrawal is real but I know what I and others went through. I am glad most don't go through that. I do plan to start very slowly. If I was to cut .5mgs or .75mgs in a month how would you suggest I do that? I don't know if cutting every 3rd day like with my c/o is a good place to start? I was hoping you could help me come up with a tentative plan.

It is accurate enough but I think I may try liquid after I have figured out how and how much I am tapering and it has been working for me. I also am getting annoyed with scales and cutting pills. I am on my 4th scale  :sick:

I think I will just even my doses by cutting. The last time I evened my doses at once it went badly.

I will not push myself if I am doing really bad especially with eating. I may also have been recovering from taking July off to taper off protonix. It can affect v levels and GABA. I also stopped my TCM herbs. Regardless I am back to where I feel comfortable to start tapering again. I am going to start tapering again probably on the 6th just to be careful which will put me over 6 weeks of holding. I have seen that thread. It seems to be helping some and that is great. I don't feel that holding past two months is a good idea for me unless I really have to because of starting in severe tolerance withdrawal and with bad side effects of very long term and high dose use. I usually feel best after I cut.I know some on that thread dispute the fact that tolerance withdrawal is real but I know what I and others went through. I am glad most don't go through that. I do plan to start very slowly. If I was to cut .5mgs or .75mgs in a month how would you suggest I do that? I don't know if cutting every 3rd day like with my c/o is a good place to start? I was hoping you could help me come up with a tentative plan.

It is accurate enough but I think I may try liquid after I have figured out how and how much I am tapering and it has been working for me. I also am getting annoyed with scales and cutting pills. I am on my 4th scale  :sick:

I think I will just even my doses by cutting. The last time I evened my doses at once it went badly.

Tolerance withdrawal has always been a frustrating topic for me.  IDK what to think, but I know that the nature of symptoms is to wax and wane.

Your dose seems to be 10mg V?  .5mg a month would be 5% and would be a .017mg daily cut.  That's a very reasonable place to start.  I'm always in favor of daily cutting as it makes the most use of the drug.  It allows the drug to provide more assistance in managing symptoms, but I understand some people are more comfortable with cutting and holding.

Tolerance withdrawal has always been a frustrating topic for me.  IDK what to think, but I know that the nature of symptoms is to wax and wane.

Your dose seems to be 10mg V?  .5mg a month would be 5% and would be a .017mg daily cut.  That's a very reasonable place to start.  I'm always in favor of daily cutting as it makes the most use of the drug.  It allows the drug to provide more assistance in managing symptoms, but I understand some people are more comfortable with cutting and holding.

It is very frustrating and confusing. Stopping tapering at 4mgs of klonopin was the worst thing for me. Symproms wax and wane even while holding but holding makes me worse in some ways especially after awhile and only helps so much. I think if I cut a little right now it would probably make me feel a bit better but I am waiting until the 6th just because the wave was so bad and I want to have a plan.

Yes my dose is 10mgs. I didn't put all my recent cuts. I no longer feel more comfortable with cut and hold. I went back to a longer cut and hold and it wasn't better and there was no pattern. I don't know why. I do know that .5mgs of klonopin was never a dose the worked for me. I am going to try MT. It makes sense why cutting daily would be easier on my body but I do worry about my body getting annoyed with it changing every day. I don't know if I would do better starting with c/c/h or c/h or even every third day. Sorry I am very indecisive right now. Also if I cut .017mg a day that would be .001275g so would I do .001g one day and .002g the next? I don't want to end up tapering any less .5mgs. I would prefer to start at more but I am being extra cautious.

Hi Maya!! :D

Haven't seen SG lately, but builder has been here. But I'm up and down like a yoyo, so I might have missed seeing SG.

Hope you are doing OK!

Gard :smitten:

Gard,

I miss you! I think of you often. I hope things are better now that you have lowered seroquel. I am doing okay. I took July off from tapering to taper protonix so now just Valium left. Things got really rough recently though. I was having issues eating again. I hope you are doing at least ok!

Lots of love

XO Maya

So good to see you, Maya. :smitten: How wonderful to be off the protonix. :thumbsup:  But so sorry you are in the weeds. I remember a year ago summer getting into the weeds and trying to push through. Awful. I held for 6 months to get my feet back under me so I could function, and then tapered some of my Q. Symptoms back instantly. >:( Seeing windows from that so started liquefying but not cutting yet. Being really, really cautious this time. I just can't afford to end up back in the weeds. It's too hard on my family. And seeing my kids crumble makes me crumble. I get so mad at what these drugs have done to us, not just me but all of us.

While I am holding again, I am trying to get out and make some more social connections. This is something I lost when I moved and have not been able to get back. But I recently made a friend who knows I am ill and have a hard time getting out. She comes to my house and has said she will take me on short drives so I can get out more. We are supposed to meet Wednesday because she comes to a meeting near my house Wed. mornings, but GOL DARN IT, I have to see my primary on Wednesday. This is the dreaded meeting where she is going to "discuss my meds" with me and whether or not she will keep prescribing. Somehow, going to the Botanical Garden with Laura sounds so much more fun. ;) In fact, it sounds like something that could keep me sane! Hope she can come some other time. Going through w/d alone is not something I would recommend to anyone. Especially if you get agoraphobic.

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if the protonix taper was still affecting you. I confess, I know nothing about the med, but I have read of other people having hard times tapering off similar stuff.

Your plan of teeny tiny cuts seems sensible. When I start up, that's what I plan to do. Unless I get forced to rapid taper. Trying not to think about that and saving every pill I can.

((Hugs))

It is very frustrating and confusing. Stopping tapering at 4mgs of klonopin was the worst thing for me. Symproms wax and wane even while holding but holding makes me worse in some ways especially after awhile and only helps so much. I think if I cut a little right now it would probably make me feel a bit better but I am waiting until the 6th just because the wave was so bad and I want to have a plan.

Yes my dose is 10mgs. I didn't put all my recent cuts. I no longer feel more comfortable with cut and hold. I went back to a longer cut and hold and it wasn't better and there was no pattern. I don't know why. I do know that .5mgs of klonopin was never a dose the worked for me. I am going to try MT. It makes sense why cutting daily would be easier on my body but I do worry about my body getting annoyed with it changing every day. I don't know if I would do better starting with c/c/h or c/h or even every third day. Sorry I am very indecisive right now. Also if I cut .017mg a day that would be .001275g so would I do .001g one day and .002g the next? I don't want to end up tapering any less .5mgs. I would prefer to start at more but I am being extra cautious.

I think it is a good idea to begin very slowly and see if you can find a cut that has no symptom increase.  If you use dry pills you could cut .002g followed by .001g for three days... c2/c/c/c.  This would be like .017mg a day.  With liquid is would be .017mg each day.

I think it is a good idea to begin very slowly and see if you can find a cut that has no symptom increase.  If you use dry pills you could cut .002g followed by .001g for three days... c2/c/c/c.  This would be like .017mg a day.  With liquid is would be .017mg each day.

I will try cutting that way and see how it goes. I have reduced my dose over 85% since I tried MTing before so I am hopeful it will work better for me than it did then. If I feel my body needs less changes I will try c/h or every 3rd day. I am not going to think about trying liquid until I have had at least a month of tapering going better. I do want to try it because it's more accurate and I am getting annoyed with scales.

You think it is better to stick with the same cut rate until it gets to be too much rather than going by a different % each month? I am used to going by percentage more. Thanks so much for helping me. I really appreciate all the help you have given me!

I will try cutting that way and see how it goes. I have reduced my dose over 85% since I tried MTing before so I am hopeful it will work better for me than it did then. If I feel my body needs less changes I will try c/h or every 3rd day. I am not going to think about trying liquid until I have had at least a month of tapering going better. I do want to try it because it's more accurate and I am getting annoyed with scales.

You think it is better to stick with the same cut rate until it gets to be too much rather than going by a different % each month? I am used to going by percentage more. Thanks so much for helping me. I really appreciate all the help you have given me!

It is hard to say how long to run with a certain cut size.  Most people keep riding one cut until they sense it is getting too big.  That is not proactive, but it works.  Maybe it makes sense to pick a percentage range and stay within it.  Like you could decide, for example, that you will remain between 5-6% a month so when you reach 6% you'd lower your cut back to 5%.  You could cut by percentage every day, but that would leave you calculating a new cut every day...kind of a drag and not necessary.  5% a month would be .17% a day.

Hi Everyone...especially Maya and SG  :smitten:

Funny, I just came on the forum today as I am suffering from some of the same GI sxs that have plagued you, Maya.  Interesting that you are going to give MT another go.  SG will help you of course.  SG:  So nice to "see" you  :)  More in a minute. 

Maya, I just read that you are experiencing increased sxs.  I have not gone back to find what they were so maybe you could tell us.  Since I have had IBS since I was a child, I've never attributed flares to tapering.  Even now, I have no idea if my sxs are w/d related...but I am in a significant amount of discomfort.  Luckily, I don't have to go out again today and can kind of take it easy.  I tried eating a small lunch and eating just made it worse... :P...who knows what is causing it but it's been going on for a couple of weeks now -- on and off.

SG,  How are you doing? 

As you can see, I am plugging along with my .006g every ten day program.  Down to .12 mg and planning to cut again - to .10 mg on Thursday, 10/27.  In general, other than the GI stuff, I have been feeling alright.  IDWD sxs (muscles tightening, increased physical and psychological tension, and some ear pressure) from time to time but on the whole I'm feeling okay and some days - or hours within days - really good.

My taper ordeal will be over at the end of the year.  Between now and then, I may decide to MT, especially if the above sxs persist or seem to increase.  I'll be back with questions...although, I guess it would be pretty straightforward.  I would keep it to .006g every ten days but just MT with some sort of pattern to equal that. 

Be well.

Mana  :smitten:

It is hard to say how long to run with a certain cut size.  Most people keep riding one cut until they sense it is getting too big.  That is not proactive, but it works.  Maybe it makes sense to pick a percentage range and stay within it.  Like you could decide, for example, that you will remain between 5-6% a month so when you reach 6% you'd lower your cut back to 5%.  You could cut by percentage every day, but that would leave you calculating a new cut every day...kind of a drag and not necessary.  5% a month would be .17% a day.

Deciding how much to cut and when was driving me crazy so having a cut rate might be better for now at least. I definitely don't want to calculate a new cut rate every day. I meant more like every month. I hope to be cutting a larger percent a month in the future. I will just start out with that cut rate and see how it goes. It does seem that most do a certain cut size until it gets too big on BB. It seems in the Facebook groups many do a new percentage each month and stick to 10% at most. What you are saying about having a percentage range makes a lot of sense. I guess I just need to see what works for me. Thanks for helping me find a place to start from.

As your dose declines, it is very likely you will have to lower your cut rate at some point. And you will know when the time comes.

I started at .025 and made 3 reductions during my taper.  .025, .020, .015, .0125.

Hi Maya!! :D

Haven't seen SG lately, but builder has been here. But I'm up and down like a yoyo, so I might have missed seeing SG.

Hope you are doing OK!

Gard,

I miss you! I think of you often. I hope things are better now that you have lowered seroquel. I am doing okay. I took July off from tapering to taper protonix so now just Valium left. Things got really rough recently though. I was having issues eating again. I hope you are doing at least ok!

Lots of love

XO Maya

So good to see you, Maya. :smitten: How wonderful to be off the protonix. :thumbsup:  But so sorry you are in the weeds. I remember a year ago summer getting into the weeds and trying to push through. Awful. I held for 6 months to get my feet back under me so I could function, and then tapered some of my Q. Symptoms back instantly. >:( Seeing windows from that so started liquefying but not cutting yet. Being really, really cautious this time. I just can't afford to end up back in the weeds. It's too hard on my family. And seeing my kids crumble makes me crumble. I get so mad at what these drugs have done to us, not just me but all of us.

While I am holding again, I am trying to get out and make some more social connections. This is something I lost when I moved and have not been able to get back. But I recently made a friend who knows I am ill and have a hard time getting out. She comes to my house and has said she will take me on short drives so I can get out more. We are supposed to meet Wednesday because she comes to a meeting near my house Wed. mornings, but GOL DARN IT, I have to see my primary on Wednesday. This is the dreaded meeting where she is going to "discuss my meds" with me and whether or not she will keep prescribing. Somehow, going to the Botanical Garden with Laura sounds so much more fun. ;) In fact, it sounds like something that could keep me sane! Hope she can come some other time. Going through w/d alone is not something I would recommend to anyone. Especially if you get agoraphobic.

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if the protonix taper was still affecting you. I confess, I know nothing about the med, but I have read of other people having hard times tapering off similar stuff.

Your plan of teeny tiny cuts seems sensible. When I start up, that's what I plan to do. Unless I get forced to rapid taper. Trying not to think about that and saving every pill I can.

((Hugs))

Thanks you too! Protonix is an awful drug that I should never been prescribed especially long term. I have just come out of the weeds. I am glad the 6 month hold was so helpful. I am sorry the Q has been so nasty to you. I hope at a lower dose it will be better and later you can get off it. I know what you mean about it being too hard on your family as well. I hope your kids are doing well. It makes me really mad too!!!! :hug:

I am glad you made such a wonderful friend. The botanical gardens sounds lovely. Sorry about your appt with your PCP. I wish your old pdoc never left. I hope she lets you be in control of your taper. My pdoc has come a long way. I had to go into his office very prepared sometimes with sections of the Ashton manual highlighted.

Protonix and tapering benzos caused me to have dysbiosis. Protonix messes with your gut. I am working to heal it. As for what it did to my V levels and GABA...I have no clue. I had an easier time tapering it than a lot do.

I really hope your appt goes well. If you can let me know how it goes.

So much love and huge hugs,

Maya

Funny, I just came on the forum today as I am suffering from some of the same GI sxs that have plagued you, Maya.  Interesting that you are going to give MT another go.  SG will help you of course.  SG:  So nice to "see" you  :)  More in a minute. 

Maya, I just read that you are experiencing increased sxs.  I have not gone back to find what they were so maybe you could tell us.  Since I have had IBS since I was a child, I've never attributed flares to tapering.  Even now, I have no idea if my sxs are w/d related...but I am in a significant amount of discomfort.  Luckily, I don't have to go out again today and can kind of take it easy.  I tried eating a small lunch and eating just made it worse... :P...who knows what is causing it but it's been going on for a couple of weeks now -- on and off.

SG,  How are you doing? 

As you can see, I am plugging along with my .006g every ten day program.  Down to .12 mg and planning to cut again - to .10 mg on Thursday, 10/27.  In general, other than the GI stuff, I have been feeling alright.  IDWD sxs (muscles tightening, increased physical and psychological tension, and some ear pressure) from time to time but on the whole I'm feeling okay and some days - or hours within days - really good.

My taper ordeal will be over at the end of the year.  Between now and then, I may decide to MT, especially if the above sxs persist or seem to increase.  I'll be back with questions...although, I guess it would be pretty straightforward.  I would keep it to .006g every ten days but just MT with some sort of pattern to equal that. 

Be well.

Hi MM, Sounds like things are going okay.  Glad to hear it.

SG,  How are you doing? 

Be well.

Hi Mana! I was having really bad gut and hormonal issues. I also have had some issues with blood sugar levels, back pain, vibrations, fatigue, weakness, body temp fluctuations, low BP, heart palps...a lot of that went with being malnourished and hormonal issues. I have been out of my bad wave for about a week and a half. I am very eating well and plenty of food again. My period is ending and was much more normal than it has been. Many switch to MT around my dose so I am hoping it will be easier on my body. I always thought I would end up trying MT at a lower dose. SG is always so helpful. I also think my body was regulating itself after I tapered off a high dose of protonix that I was on over a year. I also stopped my TCM herbs because they had started aggravating my stomach. I never had any stomach issues before tapering and am now diagnosised with IBS and GERD caused my prescription drugs. I am so sorry you have had it your whole life and are having it act up. I would be surprised if tapering wasn't making your IBS worse and I bet when you are off your gut will feel better than while on them. I recently learned that they often cause mobility issues over time partly because they mess with your stomach muscles. I just saw a functional medicine Dr. If you want to talk GI stuff more PM me. It's been the hardest part of my taper and am happy to share any knowledge I have. It's hard when food makes it worse. I eat small amounts of food at a time and have to get some of my nutrition through liquid. I also have a strict and limited clean diet. So happy that you are almost done! You have done in amazing job. I hope your tummy feel better :hug:

Lots of love and light

XXO Maya

SG,

Hey. I was hoping you could help me with my taper. I am not sure if you have been around. I haven't been recently. I would love to talk to you this week if you are around. Thanks!

Gard,

Hi!  :smitten:

XO Maya

Howdy, Maya!!!! :)

Thanks for the offer to PM you , Maya....we'll see how the next few days go. Take good care.  :smitten:

SG, I recall you suggesting that there might be a middle ground between a true MT and my 10 day cut/hold pattern which - I thought - would be to cut .003g every 5 days.  Is that right?  If so, please remind me what the benefit would be.  I should know the answer..."let the drug work for you"...but I'm not sure I ever understood what you meant by that.  :D

Thanks in advance,

M

SG,

Hey. I was hoping you could help me with my taper. I am not sure if you have been around. I haven't been recently. I would love to talk to you this week if you are around. Thanks!

Gard,

XO Maya

Hey Jeff!!!!!  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks for the offer to PM you , Maya....we'll see how the next few days go. Take good care.  :smitten:

SG, I recall you suggesting that there might be a middle ground between a true MT and my 10 day cut/hold pattern which - I thought - would be to cut .003g every 5 days.  Is that right?  If so, please remind me what the benefit would be.  I should know the answer..."let the drug work for you"...but I'm not sure I ever understood what you meant by that.  :D

Thanks in advance,

M

Even though both ways get to the same dose in the same time, the one with the smaller more frequent cuts doses you more.  You can prove it to yourself, just add up the total doses for each case.  The smaller more frequent cut will be more.  That extra benzo is free and helps you with symptoms.  .003g every five days might be a good choice for you.

SG,

Gard,

XO Maya

Hi, Jeff! Hope you're doing OK.

SG,

Gard,

XO Maya

Hey, sweet Gard! Doing fair, considering all that's been going on. The hurricane (Matthew) was not cool. Hilton Head got blasted pretty good. I get on here not real often, but I do read posts from time to time. I hope you're doing awesomely fantastic! I see that sometimes your PM's are turned off. My brain is turned off ALL the time.

Hugs,

Jeff

SG,

Gard,

XO Maya

Hey, sweet Gard! Doing fair, considering all that's been going on. The hurricane (Matthew) was not cool. Hilton Head got blasted pretty good. I get on here not real often, but I do read posts from time to time. I hope you're doing awesomely fantastic! I see that sometimes your PM's are turned off. My brain is turned off ALL the time.

Hugs,

Jeff

I can so relate! Brain is totally unpredictable the days. :o

Hi all,

Am just beginning liquid mt at .003.at 2 week mark. Because I started at 11mg I liquefy 1 mg til that's complete. When I get to 10 mg in 2 weeks. Is there any advantage in liquefying  1 or 2.5  or 5?  Thanks

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [ra...]
    • [...]
    • [...]
    • [El...]
    • [Fr...]
    • [PE...]
    • [ha...]
    • [le...]
    • [...]
    • [Je...]
    • [Sh...]