Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

Hi all, sad reading about the struggles some are going through lately.  Am happy to see so much help being offered.  I just wanted some opinions on changing my Valium dosing from 3 to 2 times a day.  My doctor is a bit scattered, so I want to run it by you guys before I see him.  I just went down to 13mg  4 4 5 in pill form, reducing 1mg every 20 days with liquid.  Thinking maybe could do 6 in am and 7 in pm instead?  Any opinions would be appreciated.  Thank you.  Cross

While theoretically there should be very little change in switching from 3 to 2 doses per day, any change in formulation or frequency has the potential to cause a reaction.  If things are going smoothly, I'd suggest changing as few things as possible.

Hi all, sad reading about the struggles some are going through lately.  Am happy to see so much help being offered.  I just wanted some opinions on changing my Valium dosing from 3 to 2 times a day.  My doctor is a bit scattered, so I want to run it by you guys before I see him.  I just went down to 13mg  4 4 5 in pill form, reducing 1mg every 20 days with liquid.  Thinking maybe could do 6 in am and 7 in pm instead?  Any opinions would be appreciated.  Thank you.  Cross

It should not be necessary to dose V more than twice a day.  But if you have been a 3X/day, why change?

Hi all, deep canyon so sorry to read about your struggles. I use a mouth guard at night and have lots of muscle spasms in my neck so I guess I'm in there with the benzo-related muscle spasms, but nothing like you're experiencing.

@ crosstheroad, I dose once daily. V has a long half-life unlike the others that people are talking about. I was waking with anxiety before and my b-doc asked me about dosing. Turned out it's very close to 12 hours from my dose to when I wake. He sugg 2x daily but I don't like the sedative and amnesiac effect (I dose at night). So I stayed with once daily and it works for me. Based on other things I'd say I'm a fast metabolizer but who knows? Anyway the anxiety is not big for me right now so that's OK. I could also see that dosing 2 or 3 times daily would be a hassle to remember. Not all of us are in one place all day. HM

I need advice about what to do when you are about to get cut off from your prescription.

Current dose:

6AM 2x5mg capsules L

2PM 2x5mg capsules L

10PM 2x5mg capsules L

Librium must be pull and pitched because it is not very stable as a liquid. From what I've read, it's probably OK for 24 hours. Maybe a little longer.

My previous psychiatrist was in no hurry and wrote the scripts and allowed me to dissolve and do the pull and pitch method. He was a very outside-the-box person. He is gone. I am about to be switched to a new one. I have every reason to believe I am going to be forced off the Librium rapidly. It only comes in capsules. The smallest is 5 mg. The standard procedure is to drop an entire capsule at a time. I am on 6 capsules/day. If I could talk this psychiatrist into only dropping one capsule/month, that would be a 6-month taper. I already totally failed an attempt at a 6-month taper and have been holding for 6 months and barely have my feet under me.

I have a small stash so I could slow it down a little. But I want to continue to liquid taper. I can't figure out a good way to do this while using as few capsules as possible. My previous method was dissolving a capsule from each dose and pitching out part of it, a daily MT. So I was wasting 3 whole capsules every day.

Is there a way to do this without wasting so many capsules? I can't imagine getting off in 6 months. I think it could destroy me.

I also take low-dose Seroquel for sleep and low does of gabapentin 3x/day (which is the same time I dose my L) for nerve pain that I think doesn't do a thing. My primary prescribed that and would happily see me on more but I have resisted. Might storing up gabapentin be a good idea if I am going to be forced off the Librium? I have heard people using it to reduce w/d symptoms.

Also, when I start liquifying again, should I just liquify and hold for awhile? For how long?

Thank you.

Gard

One more question. I found some capsules in a pill case that I put in there maybe a year ago. Could be a few months longer. A week's worth a pills. The case was on  shelf at a reasonably stable temperature for all this time. I just don't remember when I put them there. Are they safe to use or should I pitch them?

Thanks.

One more question. I found some capsules in a pill case that I put in there maybe a year ago. Could be a few months longer. A week's worth a pills. The case was on  shelf at a reasonably stable temperature for all this time. I just don't remember when I put them there. Are they safe to use or should I pitch them?

Thanks.

Use them.  They'll be fine.

Thanks.

Use them.  They'll be fine.

:thumbsup: Every pill counts right now. 

I'm scared. Just got a message on my voicemail from my primary doctor. When she calls herself instead of a nurse calling, it is usually not a good thing. Called back and was put on hold and then told someone would call me back. Waiting. Staring at phone doesn't help, I have found.

Thanks for responding about me changing my dosing schedule.  I will just continue to dose 3 times a day.  I just wanted the convenience of dropping the 3pm dose.  Again, thanks.  Cross

Actually, got not terrible news. The new psych is booking out to November so I get to see my primary one more time and get one more script filled before I have to switch doctors.

Has anyone ever started their microtaper ridiculously slow, like 1% a month because they were in bad shape and then were able to increase the percentage. I know two people this worked for. They started out at a pace that would have taken 15-16 years to get off but it helped them stabilize and they were able to speed up and cut it down to like 4-5. They are telling me to start up super slow after my changing dose fiasco, but if you heal as you go down (which I've never experienced) maybe that's too slow. Anyone?  I just need to stay out of psychotic and praying I can find s rate that will do that. My long hold helped but I didn't feel better after six months than I did after one. Then all psychotic hell broke loose going from four to three doses overnight. Went back to four and my brain feels so damaged but thsnkfully not psychotic. Thanks all.

Has anyone ever started their microtaper ridiculously slow, like 1% a month because they were in bad shape and then were able to increase the percentage. I know two people this worked for. They started out at a pace that would have taken 15-16 years to get off but it helped them stabilize and they were able to speed up and cut it down to like 4-5. They are telling me to start up super slow after my changing dose fiasco, but if you heal as you go down (which I've never experienced) maybe that's too slow. Anyone?  I just need to stay out of psychotic and praying I can find s rate that will do that. My long hold helped but I didn't feel better after six months than I did after one. Then all psychotic hell broke loose going from four to three doses overnight. Went back to four and my brain feels so damaged but thsnkfully not psychotic. Thanks all.

Liza.... This is what I am doing...... My hope was by taking such minute amounts the brain would register it kind of like a hybrid hold of sorts but still reducing....that way the cns could kind of get stronger and the hope is it would allow you to reduce quicker...

Look up Jenny k...( her posts)  not sure but I believe she did this at the beginning and was able to then speed up ( I think...) she also did or is doing a milk taper ... ( i hope I'm referencing the right person....gets things mixed up sometimes but that's a given considering the situation  :-[:-\)

On another note, i know I'm dealing with leftover ativan stuff that k is only meeting me not even halfway with... I'm very kindled....severely....

K is very paradoxical to me and I no longer know what to do.... Severe stimulation to body and severe sedation to mind....  body and mind not working  in harmony.... i feel like im going out of my mind....I can no longer bear it... I just can't....adrenaline surges akasthesia inner restlessness...fits of rage ... Crying outbursts...Pacing.. Nightmares from hell...feels like i want to rip my hair out and jump out of my body...the list goes on.... I want to just ct very badly.....

I thought about switching to Valium but then  what if that doesn't work.... Everyone keeps saying its more forgiving... But that has horrible side effects and I don't want to introduce yet another chemical...

If I don't find a solution like right now I'm not going to make it thru...

Sorry my post is all over the place... I'm just very very frantic....

I hope something works for you very much....

Liza, That sounds like a perfectly reasonable thing to do. I may do something similar when I start up again. Or I may do a week on and a week off. But, I assure you, it will be very slow.

Gard

Hello - I'm a newbie to the forum and considering a daily micro taper - I'm stuck at 6mg of Valium and have been experiencing significant symptoms from 7mg (was cutting by 1/2 mg every 3-4 weeks but have held at 6mg for more than 3 months now)

I'm wondering if I should start a daily micro taper from here (symptomatic) or up dose back to 6.5 and see if I feel better - then begin......I have PM'ed many here bc I haven't had much luck with posting on threads - but I'm starting to feel guilty blowing everyone's inboxes up - So far, I've gotten some awesome insight and information so - thank you - and thank god for BB!

I'm also trying to weigh micro daily taper to cut and hold - I'm looking for as many success stories from daily T as I can find to take to my Dr to convince him to prescribe me the liquid valium and let me handle on my own.......Anyone??  If anyone knows of people who have posted success stories about micro tapering - that I could search - I'd love that too

Sorry this is so long!

Hello - I'm a newbie to the forum and considering a daily micro taper - I'm stuck at 6mg of Valium and have been experiencing significant symptoms from 7mg (was cutting by 1/2 mg every 3-4 weeks but have held at 6mg for more than 3 months now)

I'm wondering if I should start a daily micro taper from here (symptomatic) or up dose back to 6.5 and see if I feel better - then begin......I have PM'ed many here bc I haven't had much luck with posting on threads - but I'm starting to feel guilty blowing everyone's inboxes up - So far, I've gotten some awesome insight and information so - thank you - and thank god for BB!

I'm also trying to weigh micro daily taper to cut and hold - I'm looking for as many success stories from daily T as I can find to take to my Dr to convince him to prescribe me the liquid valium and let me handle on my own.......Anyone??  If anyone knows of people who have posted success stories about micro tapering - that I could search - I'd love that too

Sorry this is so long!

FWIW I would up dose and stabilize b4 I started cutting again.

Dear fightformylife - I've been microtapering for about a year and found it MUCH better than cut and hold, which I did for about six months before that. Everybody's different, so I mean no disrespect to those who swear by cut and hold. I still have a LOT of symptoms. I've recently started taking inositol (you can find the thread on this by doing a search under the "Home" section.) It helps my depression and anxiety. I take a very low dose, as I'm very sensitive to meds - I take only 275 mg per day. I just started it last week.  I'm at 4.2 mg. Valium and cutting .025 mg five days per week. I think I would have to go slower if it weren't for the inositol.

I wish you luck,

MirandaJane

Hi all! Dang it I have a nasty 'flu. Still it's nothing like benzo w/d. Does make it harder though. Last night decided to hold a few days.

Hey fighting: I've only begun my microtaper but I'm having good results with it. The b-doc I drove far to see told me I should have "little to no symptoms" and other than for like 5 days holding, that has been true. I'm dropping 1 mg in about 20 days, not counting a slow start and that hold. I use pills and liquid. At first I used liquid only for the taper part but that's too expensive. Still at a fairly "high" dose so I'm really counting on this doc for when I get down to lower numbers. I need to change my sig but I'm down to 11 mg, almost 10.5 today actually.

Never apologize for your post. We need to get out what we have to say/ask. Hope this helps. Regards from 'fluville, HM  :laugh:

Okay I know I'm kindled and all but I still believe it should be easier than this.  I feel like such a loser because techniques seem to work for others and not for me. I held for six months but could have gotten away with one. Then like and idiot I decided to drop from four doses a day to three and had psychotic episodes for 18 days. Went back to four a day on Friday and Sunday had another horrific episode and have flirted every day since with a bit of it. This is by far my worst symptom and the one that makes me completely unstable.  I'm used to having about ten different symptoms that range in severity every day from 1-5, but when the psychotic starts and for some reason I wait until it gets to level 5-6 Im barely holding on for weeks in a hold.

My question is--in a microtaper, I know I am likely not going to be more functional, but why do we hold when it goes from hard to horrific?  Why don't we just dose correct to the previous dose when it wasn't horrific?  I swear the time I've spent holding (seven months now) I could have microtapered off the slight updose I could have done. Isn't it just basic physiology:  give the brain what it's looking for?  I updosed this time last year from 1 to 1.25 mg of K and it immediately took me out of the horrid stuff but didn't make me more functional until 11 days in because initially it made me physically sick but my brain was not frantic/manic/akathisia. I'm so confused and worse than I was a year ago at this time. I know some people say they feel better as they taper and that's never been my experience even with the microtaper but at least it's way better than the Ashton cut and suffer I did years ago.

Healing, I have something that feels very flu-like, too. Seems crazy early in the season to be this sick! It might just be a nasty cold migrating around my respiratory system, hard to tell the difference, but sure is making me miserable. No cutting until this is over. >:(

Healing, I have something that feels very flu-like, too. Seems crazy early in the season to be this sick! It might just be a nasty cold migrating around my respiratory system, hard to tell the difference, but sure is making me miserable. No cutting until this is over. >:(

Here in the Northeast US I just got over a really nasty week long cold. It set me off into a nasty wave for a couple of days. So glad that is behind me now.

Get better,

Ed

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [li...]
    • [Sh...]
    • [En...]
    • [jo...]
    • [...]
    • [...]
    • [...]
    • [Li...]
    • [ra...]