Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

ok, thanks SG, sorry about the decimal points. I thought I had them where they are supposed to be.  I was taking six doses of 10.7ml Ativan a day, which one of you told me was like .6mg.  I cut out 2 1/2 of those this month...so I now have 3 1/2 doses left,

Annie had me crossing over 1/2 dose at a time....cutting 10.7 ml to 5.35 ml and adding 0.75 v once a week.  after doing my stupid mistake, I won't have v to cover the last few cuts of a, will the v that is built up in my system cover that do you think?  If 9 mg is an updose,  I shouldn't ask the doc for more right?

ok, thanks SG, sorry about the decimal points. I thought I had them where they are supposed to be.  I was taking six doses of 10.7ml Ativan a day, which one of you told me was like .6mg.  I cut out 2 1/2 of those this month...so I now have 3 1/2 doses left,

Annie had me crossing over 1/2 dose at a time....cutting 10.7 ml to 5.35 ml and adding 0.75 v once a week.  after doing my stupid mistake, I won't have v to cover the last few cuts of a, will the v that is built up in my system cover that do you think?  If 9 mg is an updose,  I shouldn't ask the doc for more right?

Is your liquid .01mg/ml?  If so, 5.35ml is .0535mg.  And you seem to be replacing that with .75mg V, which is much more than needed, but should make it easy.  Half a dose at a time with six doses means 8% steps, which is fine.  Stepping 8% every week is a gentle rate too.  I don't understand why such a big updose, but other than that it looks like a good plan.  And really, a good argument can be made that it is smart to updose when crossing over.  I tend to think Ashton is already being generous with her numbers.  So, the plan looks fine to me.  The question is, why do you feel so lousy?

ok, thanks SG, maybe Annie had her decimal point in the wrong place, what would you replace .0535 with in v?  I would like to get by with the least amount of v that I can because it would be less to taper.  could I be feeling lousy because of the combo of benzo in my system?  I have felt lousy on these crap pills since I started...so maybe it is just the side effects....mostly nausea, dizzy and lots of anxiety....If I can replace the .75 with less v, I won't have to ask the doctor for more v, that would be great, cause he wasn't happy giving me that much already....He doesn't understand the 10.7ml, and wanted to know how much that would be in mg.  my liquid is 1ml/1mg.  Would you know that answer?  He wanted to give me 5 mg of v, but I got him to change his mind.  She also has 10.7ml crossing over to 1.5 mg of v....is that right?  Annie is in the middle of a taper too, so I completely understand the mixup....

ok, thanks SG, maybe Annie had her decimal point in the wrong place, what would you replace .0535 with in v?  I would like to get by with the least amount of v that I can because it would be less to taper.  could I be feeling lousy because of the combo of benzo in my system?  I have felt lousy on these crap pills since I started...so maybe it is just the side effects....mostly nausea, dizzy and lots of anxiety....If I can replace the .75 with less v, I won't have to ask the doctor for more v, that would be great, cause he wasn't happy giving me that much already....He doesn't understand the 10.7ml, and wanted to know how much that would be in mg.  my liquid is 1ml/1mg.  Would you know that answer?  He wanted to give me 5 mg of v, but I got him to change his mind.  She also has 10.7ml crossing over to 1.5 mg of v....is that right?  Annie is in the middle of a taper too, so I completely understand the mixup....

Ashton puts 1mg A at 10mg V, so .0535mg A would be replaced by .535mg V and your .6mg A dose would be replaced by 6mg V, not 9mg.  But that is Ashton's estimation and there are others out there.  Plus, it is only a general number and can vary from one person to the next, so adding extra to ensure you are covered is not a bad strategy.  I don't have a problem with it, although it is a 40% updose...kind of overkill.  We have to keep in mind that the ambien is also still there.

Which liquid is 1ml=1mg?  V?

no it is the Ativan that is liquid.  Yes, I will get at that Ambien down the line for sure.  Thanks so much for your help again...since I have already used 6mg of the v, could I possibly get by with just going down the Ativan doses, like 1/2 dose every other week or so and not add in much v? or maybe just a little v, like .535 or something to keep that number down?  You are right that is quite a big updose....I am going to stick with dry cutting the v I think throughout the taper.  Do you usually recommend 1 mg a month cutting, or 1/2 mg a month, I am very sensitive to cuts, so just wondered....I know Annie is tapering LT from v at about an amount that equals 1 mg every three months, but that is pretty slow, but she is very functional....it is taking her over three years.

no it is the Ativan that is liquid.  Yes, I will get at that Ambien down the line for sure.  Thanks so much for your help again...since I have already used 6mg of the v, could I possibly get by with just going down the Ativan doses, like 1/2 dose every other week or so and not add in much v? or maybe just a little v, like .535 or something to keep that number down?  You are right that is quite a big updose....I am going to stick with dry cutting the v I think throughout the taper.  Do you usually recommend 1 mg a month cutting, or 1/2 mg a month, I am very sensitive to cuts, so just wondered....I know Annie is tapering LT from v at about an amount that equals 1 mg every three months, but that is pretty slow, but she is very functional....it is taking her over three years.

Yes, she is doing a smart taper.  She does what it takes to keep symptoms near zero.  When she reaches the end it will be over and she will have fixed the GABA injury while doing very little additional damage to her CNS - no post-taper time.

I think it is fine to replace .6mg A with 6mg V.  The bottom line is you need to feel well and not accept increased symptoms.  Go by how you feel.

The amount cut varies with dose: 1mg a month at 10mg is very different than 1mg a month at 5mg or 1mg.  Use percentage as a guide and go by how you feel.

For everyone- how exactly do you figure out what rate to cut at, what rate your body can handle??

I have a lag time of 5-6 days and I don't understand how to react to an increase in sx's quickly enough. My siggy shows some my taper so far but my attempt at MT failed big Time. Maybe I went to fast? But how do I know what rate to start at next time? I use a scale that is good and weighs to 0.0001 g. Thank you.

Hi libr

I agree with SG57; this is a trial and error thing. If you really need to minimize symptoms to stay sharp at work or for other reasons, here's any easy way to find your optimal cut rate with less danger of crashing badly. First of all, get as stable as you can with the least amount of symptoms. Since your lag time is 5-6 days and assuming your symptoms are minimal at a daily dose of 14mg, you might try something like this: Start with a miniscule cut rate you know you can handle, say .01mg/day. Stay at this cut rate well past your lag time, say 10-14 days, then increase your cut rate up to say .015mg/day for another 10-14 days. Keep a daily log of any symptoms and continue increasing your cut rate gradually every 10-14 days until you first begin to feel more symptoms. At this time, go back to the previous cut rate at which you felt reasonably well and hold for 10-14 days. This then is your ideal cut rate, which approximates your healing rate, IMO. The actual numbers here are up to you, but the principle is the same. IMO, this method is the best way to determine your optimal cut rate while minimizing symptoms and decreasing the risk of some major crash.

Hope this helps

Bart the Healed

Bart nailed it.  I did have holds when the cuts caught up with me but I adjusted my cut rate based on symptoms.  It's not an easy thing to do but you'll be in the ball park.

Just an update.  I am doing well.  I had a busy weekend with relatives and kids ALL weekend.  A lot of driving, loud music, kids and a wedding.  I handled it all just fine.  It gave me a ton of confidence.  I would say I am about 85% to 90% healed.  If I do have symptoms they're so tiny and minor.  I could feel my CNS was tired at the end of the day but that will get better in time.  I am ending my taper at .01mg and will keep you in the loop.

Bart nailed it.  I did have holds when the cuts caught up with me but I adjusted my cut rate based on symptoms.  It's not an easy thing to do but you'll be in the ball park.

Just an update.  I am doing well.  I had a busy weekend with relatives and kids ALL weekend.  A lot of driving, loud music, kids and a wedding.  I handled it all just fine.  It gave me a ton of confidence.  I would say I am about 85% to 90% healed.  If I do have symptoms they're so tiny and minor.  I could feel my CNS was tired at the end of the day but that will get better in time.  I am ending my taper at .01mg and will keep you in the loop.

Nice job.

Nice job.

Thanks SG.  It's been a hard journey to keep the symptoms in check but I am glad I went slow because it is now paying off at the end.  I can feel my CNS get stronger.  I don't know how long it will take to get to 100% but I am able to do more things in life without issue.

Hi Arcade

Great work! It looks like you're going to be fine. I hope you can check back in with how you feel when you hit 0. The symptoms based method worked great for me.

Bart

Hey, thanks so much for your time SG, Annie said to say Hi, so I'm saying Hi....  the doctor's appointment went very well today, he gave me enough valium to go slow on the cross, he is Annie's doctor too, so he is very patient as long as he sees progress going down and not up...I'm thankful she hooked me up with him, not benzo wise, but willing to negotiate, which is something anyways.  I am going to try to keep the valium down from 9 mg as much as I can, as I don't want to taper more than I have to, but also, like you said, don't want an increase in sxs.  Good advice....thanks again for your time....I hope you are feeling well.....Stella Bee

SweetBlackberries,

This is a support forum.  No one here is equipped to diagnose and prescribe.  Even if someone had an M.D. after their name, it would not be responsible to recommend meds for someone they had never seen.

You really need to consult a doctor where you live - or within a reasonable distance - (mine is 90 miles away) preferably a psychiatrist with experience tapering benzos and go from there.  Not easy to find but they exist.  In a big city, there will be internists who have experience tapering benzos.  Both of the doctors whom we knew and used formerly in LA are benzo-wise.  Small towns, not so much.

Colin, who founded BB's, underscores this point about not giving medical advice in the "sticky" notes at the top of the home page.

That said, people are here to help tinker around the edges, share symptoms (and remedies for same) and suggest methods of tapering and ways to figure out percentages, equivalencies, etc.

In the end, we each have to decide what method works best for us.  There is a lot of trial and error involved but the general wisdom is to taper very gradually and listen to your body as you go.

Hope this helps.  :)

Mana

I wonder if anyone happens to know how to dissolve Seroquel for a micro-taper. I was prescribed 25mg tablets for sleep. I don't think I need that much. I want to get lower on my Seroquel before I start up my L taper again.

I am concerned that dry cutting isn't very accurate (not to mention I hate it). I've always done liquid tapers with benzos.

Thanks.

Gard

I wonder if anyone happens to know how to dissolve Seroquel for a micro-taper. I was prescribed 25mg tablets for sleep. I don't think I need that much. I want to get lower on my Seroquel before I start up my L taper again.

I am concerned that dry cutting isn't very accurate (not to mention I hate it). I've always done liquid tapers with benzos.

Thanks.

Gard

Hmmm...I'd have to research it.  Putting it in Ora Plus should be fine as that is a pharmacy suspending liquid.  I think I'd check on SA to see if they have any tips for making S liquid and also check to see if it comes as a liquid.  If there is a pharma liquid it can give major clues as to what might dissolve it.  Alcohol and PG are common solvents for drugs, as well as PEG.  Those three are extremely common.  Jouyban's handbook might also be a place to look, although not all drugs are in there.

Thanks.

Gard

Hmmm...I'd have to research it.  Putting it in Ora Plus should be fine as that is a pharmacy suspending liquid.  I think I'd check on SA to see if they have any tips for making S liquid and also check to see if it comes as a liquid.  If there is a pharma liquid it can give major clues as to what might dissolve it.  Alcohol and PG are common solvents for drugs, as well as PEG.  Those three are extremely common.  Jouyban's handbook might also be a place to look, although not all drugs are in there.

Thanks, SG. I looked over there and found a Seroquel thread with links to stuff that I didn't understand. When someone asked a question similar to mine, the answer was go back and look at the links. All I came up with was it may or may not be soluble in water.  :-\

I've never dissolved a tablet before. My L is in capsules that I open up, so the whole liquifying a tablet thing is new to me. Do you think dry cutting is as accurate as dissolving? I can't help but wonder if the drug is really perfectly evenly distributed in the tablet. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. Shocking! :laugh:

I did find a pdf of the handbook but quetiapine was not in the index. :( That's not a good sign.

Thanks, SG. I looked over there and found a Seroquel thread with links to stuff that I didn't understand. When someone asked a question similar to mine, the answer was go back and look at the links. All I came up with was it may or may not be soluble in water.  :-\

I've never dissolved a tablet before. My L is in capsules that I open up, so the whole liquifying a tablet thing is new to me. Do you think dry cutting is as accurate as dissolving? I can't help but wonder if the drug is really perfectly evenly distributed in the tablet. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. Shocking! :laugh:

I did find a pdf of the handbook but quetiapine was not in the index. :( That's not a good sign.

I'll check out SA later.  Yeah, I looked in the handbook too and it was not in there.  I also went online to some recreational drug user sites and found two numbers for solubility in water: .04mg/ml and 3mg/ml.  That's quite a difference and I don't trust either number.  The .04 number is similar to most benzos in water.

I also saw where it is not very soluble in alcohol, which is not a good sign.  I could not find anything regarding PG or PEG.  I also came across a U Michigan pharmacy school document on how to make it into a suspension.  There does not seem to be a pharma liquid.

Dry cutting is nowhere near as accurate as liquid.  At best you can do a lousy job dividing a pill into four doses.  With liquid and a syringe you can accurately divide that same pill into hundreds of parts.  It is not even close.

Dissolving the tablet is easy.  Usually, simply dropping the pill into water completely disintegrates it in a few minutes.  I think pills are made this way as that is exactly what you would want to happen in the stomach.

Hi SG57, I am doing a direct taper from Zopiclone and it is going fairly well....manageable symptoms and interdose anxiety has passed.  I am now down to 2.2 mg from 10 or 11 mg in early April. I am cutting and weighing - 1% of current dose per day.

As I am getting to smaller amounts I am wondering if there is a way to switch to a liquid taper. Does Zopiclone dissolve in water? As you say, cutting and weighing is not very accurate. It does have a really bad taste but I could tolerate that I think.

Many thanks for all that you do for us.  LL

I'll check out SA later.  Yeah, I looked in the handbook too and it was not in there.  I also went online to some recreational drug user sites and found two numbers for solubility in water: .04mg/ml and 3mg/ml.  That's quite a difference and I don't trust either number.  The .04 number is similar to most benzos in water.

I also saw where it is not very soluble in alcohol, which is not a good sign.  I could not find anything regarding PG or PEG.  I also came across a U Michigan pharmacy school document on how to make it into a suspension.  There does not seem to be a pharma liquid.

Dry cutting is nowhere near as accurate as liquid.  At best you can do a lousy job dividing a pill into four doses.  With liquid and a syringe you can accurately divide that same pill into hundreds of parts.  It is not even close.

Dissolving the tablet is easy.  Usually, simply dropping the pill into water completely disintegrates it in a few minutes.  I think pills are made this way as that is exactly what you would want to happen in the stomach.

I agree on the dry cutting being risky. My system is to use an ultra-thin knife I got from an Asian store rather than a pill cutter. I use the numbers on the tablet itself as sort of a where-to-start guide for my first cut. If I hold the tablet against the cutting board and put the knife near the bottom of the top row of numbers, I get the cut within the general range of where I want to be. Then I start cutting off tiny bits and weighing and re-weighing until I get it right. Typically, I cut too much off because it will start to crumble. Then I put tiny pieces back on the scale bit by bit until I get the right weight. I do a week at a time and store each day's dose in a tiny plastic bag. (The kind of zip-top bag that beaders keep their itty bitty beads in.) It takes forever.

Sometimes my daughter does it for me. She is not patient so this is very high risk, but I often just don't have the energy and focus to do it myself. Sure miss having my son, Mr. Accurate, around.

The tablets are remarkably close in weight. Nearly every one reads .101 for 25mg of Q. I guess that mean 101mg of tablet = 25mg of Q? I cut down to .080 quickly before I actually started weighing. I was just going by cutting off the top of the tablet above the top row of numbers. Then I decided I needed to get more accurate and started with the scale. Discovered I was at .080 more or less. Then I started cutting .001 each week and am down to .070. Slowest taper ever, but I'm technically supposed to be holding to stabilize per my doctor and my therapist (who I recently found and actually told me it would take 1-2 years for me to taper off so she is not clueless like most :)).

My thinking is that the lower I go, the more accurate I need to be, right? I've also had to take 2 weeks between cuts at times, but I wonder if that was because the cuts weren't accurate and I got ahead of myself.

My goal now is to get to .060 and then hold before I start up tapering the L again. I'd love to get to .050, but I rather doubt my sleep will allow that. My pharmacist thinks the Q is more dangerous than the L and encouraged me to taper that one first. Great. :P

Thanks for your comments about Q. I'm going to take a tablet and drop it in water. I have more than enough so I can sacrifice a few experimenting. Could you give me the link to the U of Michigan document?

What do you think about my cutting system?

Gard

I agree on the dry cutting being risky. My system is to use an ultra-thin knife I got from an Asian store rather than a pill cutter. I use the numbers on the tablet itself as sort of a where-to-start guide for my first cut. If I hold the tablet against the cutting board and put the knife near the bottom of the top row of numbers, I get the cut within the general range of where I want to be. Then I start cutting off tiny bits and weighing and re-weighing until I get it right. Typically, I cut too much off because it will start to crumble. Then I put tiny pieces back on the scale bit by bit until I get the right weight. I do a week at a time and store each day's dose in a tiny plastic bag. (The kind of zip-top bag that beaders keep their itty bitty beads in.) It takes forever.

Sometimes my daughter does it for me. She is not patient so this is very high risk, but I often just don't have the energy and focus to do it myself. Sure miss having my son, Mr. Accurate, around.

The tablets are remarkably close in weight. Nearly every one reads .101 for 25mg of Q. I guess that mean 101mg of tablet = 25mg of Q? I cut down to .080 quickly before I actually started weighing. I was just going by cutting off the top of the tablet above the top row of numbers. Then I decided I needed to get more accurate and started with the scale. Discovered I was at .080 more or less. Then I started cutting .001 each week and am down to .070. Slowest taper ever, but I'm technically supposed to be holding to stabilize per my doctor and my therapist (who I recently found and actually told me it would take 1-2 years for me to taper off so she is not clueless like most :)).

My thinking is that the lower I go, the more accurate I need to be, right? I've also had to take 2 weeks between cuts at times, but I wonder if that was because the cuts weren't accurate and I got ahead of myself.

My goal now is to get to .060 and then hold before I start up tapering the L again. I'd love to get to .050, but I rather doubt my sleep will allow that. My pharmacist thinks the Q is more dangerous than the L and encouraged me to taper that one first. Great. :P

Thanks for your comments about Q. I'm going to take a tablet and drop it in water. I have more than enough so I can sacrifice a few experimenting. Could you give me the link to the U of Michigan document?

What do you think about my cutting system?

Gard

I agree with your pharmacist.  From what I've read, APs are a nasty class of drug.  That would be my first priority if it were me.  Here's the UM link...

http://www.mipedscompounds.org/sites/default/files/standard-formulations/Quetiapine.pdf

I think you could use Ora Plus in your own kitchen.  Or just try water, but water is pretty poor at suspending.  I'm glad you have a scale.  That is a big improvement over pill splitting.  I still have not had time to check out SA.

Hi SG57, I am doing a direct taper from Zopiclone and it is going fairly well....manageable symptoms and interdose anxiety has passed.  I am now down to 2.2 mg from 10 or 11 mg in early April. I am cutting and weighing - 1% of current dose per day.

As I am getting to smaller amounts I am wondering if there is a way to switch to a liquid taper. Does Zopiclone dissolve in water? As you say, cutting and weighing is not very accurate. It does have a really bad taste but I could tolerate that I think.

Many thanks for all that you do for us.  LL

Search for 'solubility of zopiclone in water' and you'll get hits.  It seems to not be judging by a quick search.  It says it has some alcohol solubility so that might mean it can be handled like we handle benzos by using a little alcohol or PG, then diluting with water.  But I haven't looked into it enough to know for certain.

Z is only 67% as potent as V so, if you have a .001g scale, it can probably be tapered that way all the way to zero, depending on your pill size and weight.  What is your pill size and weight?

SG, Thanks for the link.

When you use Ora Plus, do you first set the tablet in water to liquify it and then stir in the Ora Plus? Or will the Ora Plus liquify it?

Regarding the darn Q, a psychiatrist who was anti-benzo put me on low-dose Q while I tapered off the X. Then he said I would taper the Q. I think he figured this would all be over in about a year, so not a big risk. Ha! Don't I wish!

Meanwhile, my psychiatrist was replaced by a psych nurse in January because she was cheaper, and she won't even see me. My primary now prescribes but it not up to date on these meds. So I am always on the hunt for knowledge.

Gard

SG, Thanks for the link.

When you use Ora Plus, do you first set the tablet in water to liquify it and then stir in the Ora Plus? Or will the Ora Plus liquify it?

I've never used Ora Plus, but I think it can be mixed up to 50% with water so I'd think you could put the pill into water to break it up, then finish the mix.  There is information online about it.

SG, Thanks for the link.

I've never used Ora Plus, but I think it can be mixed up to 50% with water so I'd think you could put the pill into water to break it up, then finish the mix.  There is information online about it.

Thanks. That's good to know. I see it is not cheap, though!