Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

I've been holding my dose for 12 days now and still feel awful. I was great at 14.0, then started MT and haven't been able to recover from that. My symptoms are Hypnic jerks, loss of appetite, loose stool, feeling my heartbeat loudly, insomnia, depression, fear, losing weight.

I've been holding, hoping it would lift- but I'm desperate. Is it too late to updose?

I hate the thought of going backward but I hate how I feel too. I'm so conflicted.

I fear I will never heal from this.

If I updose, then what?

Please help!

I'm on Librium, too, but I have never updosed the L, so can't answer that part. You might find someone on the Withdrawal Support board who has been on Valium who could answer that. You might include in your post that Librium is similar to Valium because most people would not be familiar with Librium. I think I have read that there is about a 2-week window in which updosing is more likely to succeed, but I don't know that. And I'm pretty benzo-muddled.

Whether or not you updose, sorry to say, 12 days is not a long time to feel awful if you have gotten ahead of your brain's ability to heal. At the very least, consider holding for a good long time. There is a Long Hold support thread for people who are doing just that. I have been holding for 2 months since my last tiny Librium cut and am just starting to feel like I may recover from this and be able to move forward again. So hang in there. There is hope whether you choose to updose or not!

Gard

I've been holding my dose for 12 days now and still feel awful. I was great at 14.0, then started MT and haven't been able to recover from that. My symptoms are Hypnic jerks, loss of appetite, loose stool, feeling my heartbeat loudly, insomnia, depression, fear, losing weight.

I've been holding, hoping it would lift- but I'm desperate. Is it too late to updose?

I hate the thought of going backward but I hate how I feel too. I'm so conflicted.

I fear I will never heal from this.

If I updose, then what?

Please help!

With updosing, the sooner you do it the more likely it is to help.  Twelve days is not all that long so if it were me I'd try it, even knowing that it may not work.  What Gard said is true - 12 days is not a long time to hold in this game.  If you want to stay put you could give it a long hold.  People on the Long Hold thread seem to be getting good results.

I have a auestion. When taperi g with scale. What do you do if you tryi g to drop by .001 or 2 but the pills are more or less .005 to 10 off from eachother

Do you subtract from the weight on the scale or or make them weigh the same

You can go either way. make them all weigh the same and cut or you can cut each one individually by .001. you are dealing with small fractions of a milligram. remember that consistency in cutting is much better than accuracy.

Im running into that same scale issue too, which is why I was thinking switching to liquid early may be a good idea. Some of my pill weights are drastically different- up to .003g. Thats got to be enough to feel, esp for those who metabolize fast or are just plain sensitive. So I weigh each pill ( or each 2 pills) and cut my tiny fraction off that total. And sometimes these scales are barely accurate enough to even do that at these tiny numbers. But I know what you are saying- for me, I have to think it DOES make a difference and as much of a pain in the ass as it is, I think weighing each has to matter for some of us. Its kicked me a few times when I do that " weigh 10 pills and get an estimate" thing. When some pills are that far off, if you happen to get 2 heavy ones or two light ones in a day you might have a bad day. JMHO

I have a auestion. When taperi g with scale. What do you do if you tryi g to drop by .001 or 2 but the pills are more or less .005 to 10 off from eachother

One way: Weigh 15 pills and get an average. Assume all pills are that weight and cut by needed amount.

Or, get average weight of pills and crush many together. Weigh out dose.

Or, do liquid titration which minimizes some of the discrepancy.

P.s. When Imgot to end of taper I cut only from pills that were closest to the average weight.

Maybe someone can help me out quick.

I am down taking 0.5 mg klonopin 4x per day (2mg total)

When I microtaper and I get through a dose, do I go down to 3 doses per day and work from there. (2 doses and then 1 dose etc.,)

or do I work with those 3 doses and slowly switch between them.

I need someone or a reference to a thread or a person who could give me the correct answer.

Also time of day would be helpful as well, night vs morning and which ones to cut out if you do that and all the like, any help would be great and really fantastic.

Thanks!

Tl Dr, I take multiple doses of klonopin throughout the day and need some help with microtapering. Thanks!

To me, if you need four doses you need four doses, so I would liquify 1mg and keep 1mg dry so that each dose is .25mg dry+.25mg wet and I'd reduce them all together and keep dosing 4x all the way off.

To me, if you need four doses you need four doses, so I would liquify 1mg and keep 1mg dry so that each dose is .25mg dry+.25mg wet and I'd reduce them all together and keep dosing 4x all the way off.

Oh, so you are saying everyday for example, just to throw something out there, do all 4 liquify doses .25-.24 then next day .24-.23 etc., until I reach the dry dose then do that.

Does that sound like what you mean? I sometimes feel like I can/want to get down to 3 doses per day tbh, so if that happens I will change my status. Back when I started it was 3x a day but that was years ago.

But I digress, is that would you were getting at. Again, I know nothing about this microtaper thing so that advice is appreciated if that sounds right or you have done that and it worked.

Thanks btw, appreciate it friend!

Oh, so you are saying everyday for example, just to throw something out there, do all 4 liquify doses .25-.24 then next day .24-.23 etc., until I reach the dry dose then do that.

Does that sound like what you mean? I sometimes feel like I can/want to get down to 3 doses per day tbh, so if that happens I will change my status. Back when I started it was 3x a day but that was years ago.

But I digress, is that would you were getting at. Again, I know nothing about this microtaper thing so that advice is appreciated if that sounds right or you have done that and it worked.

I don't do math, but what happened with me was as I got lower, I had to go to dosing more often to avoid inter-dose w/d. But I certainly sympathize with wanting to dose only 3 times per day. Dosing every 8 hours gives you a full night's sleep and keeps the dosing even around the clock.

Why did you go from 3 doses to 4 doses? Were you having inter-dose withdrawal?

Gard

I second that. Take small amounts each dose to keep them equal. I had to go to 4 doses, but later down to 3,2,1 which was hard but as doses was smaller had to be done.

Sorry, I don't understand the question.

Is this what you mean?

Your pills have different weights. (typical) Do you weigh each pill and subtract .001 from each pill? or Do you pick your goal weight (.001 less than the average weight of the pills) and cut each pill so it equals your goal weight?

(I'm assuming here that you have the decimal point off in saying how different the weights of the pills are.)

yes this is what i mean basically im not sure where my demimal points were  wrong

um ok my 2mg pills weigh .300 but they can weigh .295 or .310 or anything  in between.  Oh ok i see where it was wrong.

But then my .5 mg pills weigh .75 or so. Im not cutting off the .5 ones because  they so small they break

i take one of each 3 x a day. So i shave from the 2mg ones till im down 1.5mg then ill toss out the .5s ant go back to starting over with the 2mg pills from beginning  if this makes sense

I am so kindled my waves are so severe and psychotic  i cant it doesnt matter even  updosing  doesnt stop symptoms they are severe.

Sorry ill try to stay away from symptoms. 

Ok so ive managed  to cut down  .011 from each dose so .033 im not sure how much  this is in terms  of mg of ativan 

What i was wondering besides how to get the amount of ativan from pill weight like meaning what is my current  dose

Is yes so my total pill weight is .289 per pill if they are supposed to weigh .300 but usually they all do almost  exactly but the last two. Batches weigh .295 most of them but theres also ones in there that weigh .305 so how do i deal with this. Ive been  just subtracting from the original  pill weight like if its .300 then it wold cut to .289 for .011 cut and if it weighs .295 then i cut to .285.

Is this correct. I dont feel it is. I dont know  if that means it has less ativan or just less cut

Can you clarify all of this please i am so greatful.

Akathisia  and fog and vision pressure sensitivity are kicking up. I been  holding for two months and things still getting worse

edit: fixed quotes

SG57

Hi SG,

Thanks for your promp reply.

Overall Bens taper is somewhat manageable but he is becoming symptomatic, hence the percentage drop

when he gets to 15mg to 1.4mg drop a month (or 30 days ).

You stated earlier on that 2mg tabs would make for a smoother ride so we obviously want to follow that advice.

I shave each 5mg tab down to .1680 which I found was a good consistant average and have noticed that the pills vary

In weight quite dramatically, as much as .01mg. Some are .1630mg and others .1745. We will not be changing the brand of tablets, only the mg's if we decide to use the 2mg tabs.

My question is should we wait until he gets to a lower dose before switching to a mixture of 5mg and 2mg

or is 14mg a good starting point. Or given we have such accurate scales just stay on the 5mg for the whole taper.

If we go down the 2mg road and start mixing the 5's and the 2's at 14mg  this is what would suit me. We have been

doing this for a while now so I have the shaving down to a fine art and enjoy doing it.

I was going to have a 5mg and a 2mg together twice a day =14mg.

I want to shave the 2mg down to 1mg which would then be 1x5mg and 1x1mg twice a day.

That would leave 6mg twice daily.

I could  then take the 5mg tablet down to 4mg (which is not a problem) I know the math,and add another full 2mg tablet.

giving me 6mg twice daily with two manageable sized tablets.

Then shave the full 2mg down to 1mg, drop the 5mg again and keep going with that formula until he was on 4mg twice daily which is when we could switch to 2x2mg tabs morning and 2x2mg tabs evening.

This  would keeep the tablets at a manageable size (easier to handle) and we would only really

be shaving the 2mg tabs. I dont want to be handling minute crumbs until right near the end.

As I stated this is a method I understand and would be comfortable doing.

Formula for 5mg tabs = 5mg ÷ weight .1680 = 29.8

What is formula for 2mg tabs. I'm assuming it's the same, considering pill weight is the same as 5mg?

eg 2mg ÷ .1680 weight = 11.9

All this depends of course if Ben can handle the crossover from 5mg to 2mg which I hope he can as it'the same brand.

I stated earlier that we have pharma grade laboratory scales that can read .0003g.

So could we get as smooth a ride with 5mg tabs given this accuracy is it necessary to use the 2mg tabs or will 5mg tabs suffice given our scale accuracy?

Sorry about all the questions I will try and keep them shorter and more specific in future

Thanks so much for your help during this trying time.

Liquify two of your .5mg pills and snap the other two in half.  Each dose is .25mg dry+.25mg wet.  When you cut, take it from the liquid prior to dividing it four ways.

Going to three doses is a different question.  Dosing avoids interdose symptoms.  If you need three, you need three.  If you need four, you need four.  They should not be tapered away if you need them.  If you don't need them they can be eliminated.

SG57

Hi SG,

Thanks for your promp reply.

Overall Bens taper is somewhat manageable but he is becoming symptomatic, hence the percentage drop

when he gets to 15mg to 1.4mg drop a month (or 30 days ).

You stated earlier on that 2mg tabs would make for a smoother ride so we obviously want to follow that advice.

I shave each 5mg tab down to .1680 which I found was a good consistant average and have noticed that the pills vary

In weight quite dramatically, as much as .01mg. Some are .1630mg and others .1745. We will not be changing the brand of tablets only.

My question is should we wait until he gets to a lower dose before switching to a mixture of 5mg and 2mg

or is 14mg a good starting point. Or given we have such accurate scales just stay on the 5mg for the whole taper.

If we go down the 2mg road and start mixing the 5's and the 2's at 14mg  this is what would suit me. We have been

doing this for a while now so I have the shaving down to a fine art and enjoy doing it.

I was going to have a 5mg and a 2mg together twice a day =14mg.

I want to shave the 2mg down to 1mg which would then be 1x5mg and 1x1mg twice a day.

That would leave 6mg twice daily.

I could  then take the 5mg tablet down to 4mg (which is not a problem) I know the math,and add another full 2mg tablet.

giving me 6mg twice daily with two manageable sized tablets.

Then shave the full 2mg down to 1mg, drop the 5mg again and keep going with that formula until he was on 4mg twice daily which is when we could switch to 2x2mg tabs morning and 2x2mg tabs evening.

This  would keeep the tablets at a manageable size (easier to handle) and we would only really

be shaving the 2mg tabs. I dont want to be handling minute crumbs until right near the end.

As I stated this is a method I understand and would be comfortable doing.

Formula for 5mg tabs = 5mg ÷ weight .1680 = 29.8

What is formula for 2mg tabs. I'm assuming it's the same, considering pill weight is the same as 5mg?

eg 2mg ÷ .1680 weight = 11.9

All this depends of course if Ben can handle the crossover from 5mg to 2mg which I hope he can as it'the same brand.

I stated earlier that we have pharma grade laboratory scales that can read .0003g.

So could we get as smooth a ride with 5mg tabs given this accuracy is it necessary to use the 2mg tabs or will 5mg tabs suffice given our scale accuracy?

Sorry about all the questions I will try and keep them shorter and more specific in future

Thanks so much for your help during this trying time.

Here's where the patience test comes in...do not allow his symptom to increase.  He seems to need a slower rate or some hold time if he is becoming more symptomatic.  I would not accept higher symptoms if it were me...it's not worth the damage they cause.

If you add in 2mg pills that is a batch change.  It is likely they are not quite the same, even though the same manufacturer made them.  ~5% error seems to be the norm for manufacturing pills.  To them that's fine; to us it's not.

If you have 2mg pills, why not take the accuracy they offer?  But if you need to use 5mg pills, now is the time as lower doses require greater accuracy.  You have accurate scales and prefer methods you are comfortable with, which need to be considered as well.

Liquify two of your .5mg pills and snap the other two in half.  Each dose is .25mg dry+.25mg wet.  When you cut, take it from the liquid prior to dividing it four ways.

Going to three doses is a different question.  Dosing avoids interdose symptoms.  If you need three, you need three.  If you need four, you need four.  They should not be tapered away if you need them.  If you don't need them they can be eliminated.

Thank you everybody for answering my question that helps so much.

Ok, so for example, and sorry to bother you SG57.

It would be something like for the liquified doses, complete example here just throwing out numbers.

.25 .25 .25 .25

.24 .24 .24 .24

.23 .23 .23 .23

so everyday, each of the 4 liquify doses are declined evenly and slowly but at the same rate, just like that.

Does that sound correct? Yeah, The 3 dose thing question I will leave for another day. This answered my question.

As long as that is the right idea.

thanks again everyone!

I don't do math, but what happened with me was as I got lower, I had to go to dosing more often to avoid inter-dose w/d. But I certainly sympathize with wanting to dose only 3 times per day. Dosing every 8 hours gives you a full night's sleep and keeps the dosing even around the clock.

Why did you go from 3 doses to 4 doses? Were you having inter-dose withdrawal?

Gard

No, I was taking .25 3x (.75 daily) a day 3 years ago for panic, and I got in a car accident that shook me up, so I said can I just go up an extra .25 and take it at night and the psych was like (sure).

Again this was years ago, but that's where the first extra dose was put in. Just a fluke thing, and tbh at that time I sorta did need it. I got rearended by a truck really hard and it freaked me out and I hurt my neck, I needed to drive to school and sleep and stuff and it got me all riled up so, it did the trick at that time to get me back on track but you know how it goes.

So yeah, but anyway thanks

It would be something like for the liquified doses, complete example here just throwing out numbers.

.25 .25 .25 .25

.24 .24 .24 .24

.23 .23 .23 .23

so everyday, each of the 4 liquify doses are declined evenly and slowly but at the same rate, just like that.

Does that sound correct? Yeah, The 3 dose thing question I will leave for another day. This answered my question.

thanks again everyone!

Yes, you've got the idea.  All four doses come down together.

.25 .25 .25 .25

.24 .24 .24 .24

.23 .23 .23 .23

thanks again everyone!

Yes, you've got the idea.  All four doses come down together.

Fantastic, you are so helpful!

Good morning--

I'm currently in a long hold on 1.2 mg of klonopin. When I crossed from ativan last summer I ended up dosing four times a day because that's how often I was dosing Ativan and just got used to it (though I felt much better on the Ativan than I ever have on klonopin).

I know the more evenly spaced the better, but I dose at 9:30 pm, then 5:30 am, 11 am and 4 pm. I know mornings are hard for everyone but that's my worst time of day by a long shot. , but I don't know if I should be trying to dose every six hours which would have me setting an alarm for 3:30 am to dose and trying to go back to sleep. I know I have the option of trying three doses a day but terrified of upsetting the apple cart even more. Is the way I'm dosing a problem?  I dissolve klonopin wafers in milk and draw out to make 1.2 mg and then divide that into four even doses. Thanks.

Good morning--

I'm currently in a long hold on 1.2 mg of klonopin. When I crossed from ativan last summer I ended up dosing four times a day because that's how often I was dosing Ativan and just got used to it (though I felt much better on the Ativan than I ever have on klonopin).

I know the more evenly spaced the better, but I dose at 9:30 pm, then 5:30 am, 11 am and 4 pm. I know mornings are hard for everyone but that's my worst time of day by a long shot. , but I don't know if I should be trying to dose every six hours which would have me setting an alarm for 3:30 am to dose and trying to go back to sleep. I know I have the option of trying three doses a day but terrified of upsetting the apple cart even more. Is the way I'm dosing a problem?  I dissolve klonopin wafers in milk and draw out to make 1.2 mg and then divide that into four even doses. Thanks.

I don't see much of a problem.  You're not too far from even, really.  Do you have interdose problems?  What I usually tell people is to dose evenly in both size and time, then tweak from there.  I also think waking to dose is generally not a good idea as sleep is so important.  But these are not hard and fast rules and the bottom line is to do what works.  Your dose is 1.2mg so that is .05mg metabolized each hour of the day.  A thing I've often thought makes sense is proportioning doses to match the time they last.  For you, this would be...

5:30a: 5.5 hrs=.275mg

11a: 5 hrs=.25mg

4p: 5.5 hrs=.275mg

9:30p: 8 hrs=.4mg

This loads up the nighttime dose to last the extra hours and shorts the day doses as they are spaced less than six hours.  IDK, it's a tweak you could try, but you are doing well as it is, I think.

Thanks SG--I wondered about that too. I may try to hold a bit longer and see if that makes a difference. I was told in a FB group that all your doses needed to be even but what you're saying makes perfect sense--you need a certain amount to cover a certain amount of time. If I decide to try this, do you know how I figure these amounts considering I'm doing liquid?  Right now I'm dissolving 5 .25 K wafers in 60 ml of milk and pulling 3.30 ml (so I'm actually at 1.195 mg)  then splitting into four even doses. I stink at math. After I pull and discard the 3.30 mls, do you know what I would need to pull for each of my four jars if I were to load more at night like you said?

Thanks so much for your help!

Thanks SG--I wondered about that too. I may try to hold a bit longer and see if that makes a difference. I was told in a FB group that all your doses needed to be even but what you're saying makes perfect sense--you need a certain amount to cover a certain amount of time. If I decide to try this, do you know how I figure these amounts considering I'm doing liquid?  Right now I'm dissolving 5 .25 K wafers in 60 ml of milk and pulling 3.30 ml (so I'm actually at 1.195 mg)  then splitting into four even doses. I stink at math. After I pull and discard the 3.30 mls, do you know what I would need to pull for each of my four jars if I were to load more at night like you said?

Thanks so much for your help!

Yeah, I had a blind spot about this for the longest time, then it finally dawned on me that longer time periods need more drug to cover them.  Makes sense, right?

Okay, five .25mg wafers, so 1.25mg/60ml is .0208mg/ml...yikes.  You could go to 61.25ml or 125ml to make the math easier.  Tossing 3.3ml (.06864mg).  I get a dose of 1.181mg?

For 1.181mg, proportioned doses would be...

5:30a: .271mg (13.03ml)

11a: .246mg (11.83ml)

4p: .271mg (13.03ml)

9:30p: .394mg (18.94ml)

This is a math mess.  You could do 13, 12, 13, 18.8 to make it simpler.  Or even simpler would be 13, 13, 13, 17.8...close enough and much easier.

Is using a regular graduated cylinder like this OK: http://www.amazon.com/213I12-Karter-Scientific-Graduated-Cylinder/dp/B006UKIASI?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_5&smid=A29JIFH4ZXPNL8

It is glass and looks cool.

if that is ok let me know if plastic is better let me know too, or another brand.

This looks fine to me.  Glass is the best.  IMO plastics are also fine.  One type of plastic (PVC) does seem to absorb benzo, but I don't think it is used for containers, just IV bags.

Is using a regular graduated cylinder like this OK: http://www.amazon.com/213I12-Karter-Scientific-Graduated-Cylinder/dp/B006UKIASI?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_5&smid=A29JIFH4ZXPNL8

It is glass and looks cool.

if that is ok let me know if plastic is better let me know too, or another brand.

This looks fine to me.  Glass is the best.  IMO plastics are also fine.  One type of plastic (PVC) does seem to absorb benzo, but I don't think it is used for containers, just IV bags.

I use glass and am so paranoid that I have 2 in case I break one.