Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

I'll be holding at 0.36ml.  The last few days in the evenings I get headaches, tight scalp muscles, tight forehead muscles and mild nausea.  The tight muscles on my forehead makes it feel like pressure between my eyes and on the bridge of my nose.  It feels like someone is pinching my nose or pressing in between my eyes...lol

I feel decent during the day.

Hey Arcade... Wow, you're getting there.

I'm sorry you have those symptoms.. Have you ever tried acupuncture of acupressure massage?

I could sometimes not tolerate people touching me when I had severe symptoms but other times it did help me when my head was massaged and it brought back my appetite for a bit.

Just an idea.

I personally think holding is good when symptoms increase. Hoping it will calm down soon...

I'll be holding at 0.36ml.  The last few days in the evenings I get headaches, tight scalp muscles, tight forehead muscles and mild nausea.  The tight muscles on my forehead makes it feel like pressure between my eyes and on the bridge of my nose.  It feels like someone is pinching my nose or pressing in between my eyes...lol

I feel decent during the day.

Hey Arcade... Wow, you're getting there.

I'm sorry you have those symptoms.. Have you ever tried acupuncture of acupressure massage?

I could sometimes not tolerate people touching me when I had severe symptoms but other times it did help me when my head was massaged and it brought back my appetite for a bit.

Just an idea.

I personally think holding is good when symptoms increase. Hoping it will calm down soon...

Hi Moodle,

Thanks for the reply.  I have my wife massage my head at night and that helps a little.  Today the weird pressure is not as bad as yesterday so we'll see how long this hold will be.  I am trying to be very careful at the end.  How are you?  I hope all is well with you.

Best Wishes

I keep reading about " benzo flu" and think about what it feels like to have the flu- you get hot or cold chills and clammy and tense muscles and youbdont want anyone or anything to touch you. That made sense to me- mine was benzo flu. Seems like its very common and very unpleasant. I hope you feel better soon!

Hi MT buddies.

Sorry, haven't been here much. Have read a bit now and then but not much because too much else to cope with right now. Son who moved out and crashed into depression and anxiety is doing very poorly and I'm worried he may actually harm himself. He doesn't come by any more and rarely responds if I text him. Very occasionally he posts something on FB that I can see and it is dark and scary. I need to pull myself together somehow and learn to cope with this and figure out if there is some way I can be supportive of him. My daughter is being supportive of me (setting up meds, preparing food) or I would be collapsed, too.

Recently I have been holding my L while trying to reduce my gabapentin to a place I can function. (My doctor had increased it to treat other things but it was so sedating I could hardly walk across the room.) I think I may have it to an amount I can live with but I'm still having some benzo-taper-like symptoms from reducing the gabapentin.

My question, how long after my final cut to the gabapentin (not off, just reduced)  should I wait before starting MT of L again? I'm thinking I may try a tiny MT every other day soon. Crazy?

Another question, just wondering what you all think. During the L hold and the cuts to the gabapentin, was my brain benefitting from the L hold? Or did the gabapentin cuts sort of negate that? Just curious if anyone has any knowledge about this. I've googled trying to figure out how these two meds might affect each other/my brain when taken together but haven't found much. Of course, I haven't had much energy to pursue it very far.

Hope you are all doing well and pressing on patiently (not something I'm good at, but trying to be) toward the goal. We will all get there! :thumbsup:

Thanks.

Gard

Hi MT buddies.

Sorry, haven't been here much. Have read a bit now and then but not much because too much else to cope with right now. Son who moved out and crashed into depression and anxiety is doing very poorly and I'm worried he may actually harm himself. He doesn't come by any more and rarely responds if I text him. Very occasionally he posts something on FB that I can see and it is dark and scary. I need to pull myself together somehow and learn to cope with this and figure out if there is some way I can be supportive of him. My daughter is being supportive of me (setting up meds, preparing food) or I would be collapsed, too.

Recently I have been holding my L while trying to reduce my gabapentin to a place I can function. (My doctor had increased it to treat other things but it was so sedating I could hardly walk across the room.) I think I may have it to an amount I can live with but I'm still having some benzo-taper-like symptoms from reducing the gabapentin.

My question, how long after my final cut to the gabapentin (not off, just reduced)  should I wait before starting MT of L again? I'm thinking I may try a tiny MT every other day soon. Crazy?

Another question, just wondering what you all think. During the L hold and the cuts to the gabapentin, was my brain benefitting from the L hold? Or did the gabapentin cuts sort of negate that? Just curious if anyone has any knowledge about this. I've googled trying to figure out how these two meds might affect each other/my brain when taken together but haven't found much. Of course, I haven't had much energy to pursue it very far.

Hope you are all doing well and pressing on patiently (not something I'm good at, but trying to be) toward the goal. We will all get there! :thumbsup:

Thanks.

Gard

I think with two drugs it is the same criteria as one drug for cutting, i.e, cut based on how you feel.  I don't see a problem cutting one, stopping that and cutting another, then stopping that and going back to cutting the first.  As long as you feel ready to cut I'd think that tells you what you need to know.  You'd want to keep them separate so you can tell which drug is causing what symptoms, but other than that I think how you feel is a very good guide.  I would not try to taper the L at the same time even if you feel okay doing it for the simple reason that you won't know which one is causing symptoms.

Can anyone advise on the following please?

If I were on 3 mg Valium and I was microtapering it in water (hypothetically) how much water would be a good amount to use please?

Thanks

If I were on 3 mg Valium and I was microtapering it in water (hypothetically) how much water would be a good amount to use please?

Thanks

I would not put V in water as the solubility is really poor.  I'd use either PG or alcohol to get it to dissolve in water.  I'd also use a lot of water to keep the strength below .01mg/ml to make sure it stays dissolved.  This would be 1mg in 100ml, 2mg in 200ml, or 3mg in 300ml depending on how much of the 3mg you wanted to dissolve.

Hi MT buddies.

Thanks.

Gard

I think with two drugs it is the same criteria as one drug for cutting, i.e, cut based on how you feel.  I don't see a problem cutting one, stopping that and cutting another, then stopping that and going back to cutting the first.  As long as you feel ready to cut I'd think that tells you what you need to know.  You'd want to keep them separate so you can tell which drug is causing what symptoms, but other than that I think how you feel is a very good guide.  I would not try to taper the L at the same time even if you feel okay doing it for the simple reason that you won't know which one is causing symptoms.

Makes sense. Guess I will wait a week after symptoms settle down to re-start the L.

Thanks

I would not put V in water as the solubility is really poor.  I'd use either PG or alcohol to get it to dissolve in water.  I'd also use a lot of water to keep the strength below .01mg/ml to make sure it stays dissolved.  This would be 1mg in 100ml, 2mg in 200ml, or 3mg in 300ml depending on how much of the 3mg you wanted to dissolve.

Thanks SG, this is actually for Librium but the dose I am on is equivalent to 2.9 mg V thereabouts but I am using 160 ml water, need to add to it probably, I don't think I have enough water to make small enough cuts.

Hi all  :hug: what about using Lemon juice to dissolve  Diazepam or any other Benzo as its a solvent, I just put one 2mg Diazepam pill in a couple of drops of lemon juice  as a test and it dissolved rapidly, also Vinegar what about that? I also tried saliva it worked but then I read about alkalinity as opposed to acidity dissolving the drug and saliva is alkaline  , and benzos need to be dissolved in an acid. Stomach acid is what breaks them down, so what about the citric acid or the vinegar then add the water? 

Vinegar ranks at about 2 on the pH scale, so it is about as acidic as stomach acid. http://www.wikihow.com/Simulate-Stomach-Acid

I know  Grapefruit has to be avoided with certain meds and Diazepam, but can vinegar or the lemon juice be used in place of PG and alcohol? And as for milk versus water from what I read,and  also Colin whose site this is has said. Is both make a suspension but milk holds the suspension slightly longer than water but as long as you give plain water a good shake and remove what your tossing quickly ( I do it in 10 seconds or less  so the suspension is still holding) water can be used.

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks SG, this is actually for Librium but the dose I am on is equivalent to 2.9 mg V thereabouts but I am using 160 ml water, need to add to it probably, I don't think I have enough water to make small enough cuts.

A .01mg V cut would be like a .025mg L cut.  Any strength below .5mg/ml should be fine if you have a 1ml syringe.  If you need to make really really small cuts a lower strength would be needed.  For example, 5mg in 500ml would make .01mg/ml strength and would allow .0005mg cuts.

Hi all  :hug: what about using Lemon juice to dissolve  Diazepam or any other Benzo as its a solvent, I just put one 2mg Diazepam pill in a couple of drops of lemon juice  as a test and it dissolved rapidly, also Vinegar what about that? I also tried saliva it worked but then I read about alkalinity as opposed to acidity dissolving the drug and saliva is alkaline  , and benzos need to be dissolved in an acid. Stomach acid is what breaks them down, so what about the citric acid or the vinegar then add the water? 

Vinegar ranks at about 2 on the pH scale, so it is about as acidic as stomach acid. http://www.wikihow.com/Simulate-Stomach-Acid

I know  Grapefruit has to be avoided with certain meds and Diazepam, but can vinegar or the lemon juice be used in place of PG and alcohol? And as for milk versus water from what I read,and  also Colin whose site this is has said. Is both make a suspension but milk holds the suspension slightly longer than water but as long as you give plain water a good shake and remove what your tossing quickly ( I do it in 10 seconds or less  so the suspension is still holding) water can be used.

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

My belief is that milk actually does dissolve V and K.  I'm not sure about other benzos.  I don't know about lemon juice and vinegar so I stay away from them.

Gard,

Many people seem to think it's important to taper Gabapentin before or during their taper off their benzo.  Unless one is having a bad reaction to Gabapentin (edema, UT issues) I don't understand the thinking.  Gabapentin is meant to help with some of the withdrawal sxs brought on by a benzo taper..so why discontinue it before the taper is completed? 

I haven't read, or don't recall right now, what your daily dose of G is but unless it is inordinately high, why not continue to use it, especially if you have neuropathy and other nerve issues?  Is the neuropathy a chronic problem or brought on by the taper?  In either case, G is indicated as a med that can relieve those sxs.

You can taper G (NOT difficult...really easy...100 mg a week is easy to do - I know b/c I have done it) after you finish the L taper but why mix it up?

I took my G intake down from 600 to 200 daily in 4 weeks with absolutely no w/d.  I did it while tapering K only b/c it was causing some edema.  I now take an extra 100 mg of G on occasion if I wake in the middle of the night and have a hard time going back to sleep or during a hard day with K w/d. 

Just commenting on this because I have seen so many posts about the dangers of G and that it is almost equivalent to benzos while IMO (and my doctor's) they are not in the same universe of drugs. 

Mana

Hello All,

I need a little advice.

I am currently dosing twice a day.  May daily dose is .436mg and I shave that into 2 doses that weight .075 grams each (.150 grams/day).  I really hate shaving to small pieces every day.

I had considered going to a single dose, but a little apprehensive about such a change.  However I did come up with another plan.  Would it be OK to just shave one pill to a total weight of .150 grams and then just try to split that pill into 2 fairly equal pieces for my two daily doses.

I realize that the 2 pieces may not be exactly equal, but the daily dose would be the same.

Does this sound like a workable plan to reduce the daily pill shaving?

Thank you,

Steve

Hello All,

I need a little advice.

I am currently dosing twice a day.  May daily dose is .436mg and I shave that into 2 doses that weight .075 grams each (.150 grams/day).  I really hate shaving to small pieces every day.

I had considered going to a single dose, but a little apprehensive about such a change.  However I did come up with another plan.  Would it be OK to just shave one pill to a total weight of .150 grams and then just try to split that pill into 2 fairly equal pieces for my two daily doses.

I realize that the 2 pieces may not be exactly equal, but the daily dose would be the same.

Thank you,

Steve

I think that would work out okay if you were able to make a reasonable close split since your daily dose would be unchanged.

Hello All,

I need a little advice.

Thank you,

Steve

Consistency is much more important that accuracy!

Thank you SG, really nice of you to help.

A .01mg V cut would be like a .025mg L cut.  Any strength below .5mg/ml should be fine if you have a 1ml syringe.  If you need to make really really small cuts a lower strength would be needed.  For example, 5mg in 500ml would make .01mg/ml strength and would allow .0005mg cuts.

Gard,

Many people seem to think it's important to taper Gabapentin before or during their taper off their benzo.  Unless one is having a bad reaction to Gabapentin (edema, UT issues) I don't understand the thinking.  Gabapentin is meant to help with some of the withdrawal sxs brought on by a benzo taper..so why discontinue it before the taper is completed? 

I haven't read, or don't recall right now, what your daily dose of G is but unless it is inordinately high, why not continue to use it, especially if you have neuropathy and other nerve issues?  Is the neuropathy a chronic problem or brought on by the taper?  In either case, G is indicated as a med that can relieve those sxs.

You can taper G (NOT difficult...really easy...100 mg a week is easy to do - I know b/c I have done it) after you finish the L taper but why mix it up?

I took my G intake down from 600 to 200 daily in 4 weeks with absolutely no w/d.  I did it while tapering K only b/c it was causing some edema.  I now take an extra 100 mg of G on occasion if I wake in the middle of the night and have a hard time going back to sleep or during a hard day with K w/d. 

Just commenting on this because I have seen so many posts about the dangers of G and that it is almost equivalent to benzos while IMO (and my doctor's) they are not in the same universe of drugs. 

Mana

Thanks for your input, mana. I am just trying to reduce my gabapentin dose because I find gabapentin so sedating I can barely function. My doctor had me on 300mg 3x/day. I'm trying to lower the daytime doses but am having a rough time of it. I'm less sedated but much more anxious and jittery. I think it's been three weeks and I've gone down to 100 + 200 + 300. I don't think I can get any lower.

I really want to get back to my L taper. Maybe an updose on the gabapentin would allow me to do that. Or maybe I should just wait it out. If I updose a little I will be dissolving the g again. To avoid that, I would have to add a whole 100mg added back to the morning dose. I sure don't want to be dissolving both the g and the L at the same time. Way too annoying. >:( Like the bad old days when I was taking my liquid Xanax 6 times/day.

Gard

P.S. The neuropathy is from both. I had it before the taper (autoimmune) and the taper made it much worse. I'm not sure if the gabapentin is doing anything for it or not. It does help my restless leg syndrome quite a bit, though.

Thanks for all the feedback. I guess I don't get how the math works, then. I first started on 3MG of Klonopin in January of 2014. I tapered completely off by late October 2014 and was slammed hard by physical side effects. I obviously want to avoid that and do it right the second time around. So I'm open. I did a spreadsheet, though, of what a 0.01MG per day cut looks like and it has me finishing in like summer of 2017. Since I'm technically starting this time at 4.1MG isn't that possibly too long to taper? Would diluting it just increase precision as you guys are saying? Or are you arguing for an even longer taper.

Just want to be clear. Also, wouldn't I possibly be off in the first place since I'd be drawing the concentrated Valium from the bottle using a syringe as well? What's to say that isn't already off by 0.005 anyway?

Not being confrontational, to be clear. Just asking questions so I do this right.

But if you make a 10-14 day supply at a time, then the same dilution logic applies.  Larger volumes are always easier to work with.

If you make a .05mg/ml error measuring 1ml, that's a 5% error.  If you make a .05mg/ml error measuring 10ml, then its only ,05 error. Larger volumes will always make measurement easier and more accurate.

And there are simple ways to help insure accuracy.  If I made a 100ml batch of 9:1 (10% solution)  I would use a 60 ml syringe to add 90mls water to a graduated cylinder, e I would use a 10ml syringe to add 10mls of liquid V.  I would confirm that water perfectly matched the 90ml mark on the cylinder, and confirm that  adding the 10ml liquid V brought it up to exactly 100ml total liquid.  So then I had used 3 different measuring tools, and all 3 confirmed that my measure was accurate.

In retrospect, this was very probably unneccessary, because my cylinder readings always matched the syringe readings.

But I will absolutely confirm that trying to accurate measure and dispense hundredths of a ml (.01ml) of full strength liquid V is essentially impossible (undiluted, its a fairly thick, viscous liquid) and of course, measuring to thousandths of a ml is completely impossible. And I will confirm that measuring and metering 9:1 diluted liquid is easy and consistent.  And if you use the 99:1 dilution that many here prefer, you have pretty much eliminated all dosing error.

I tried it with X and it worked for awhile and then complete disaster. I think I never recovered from that crash and won't until I'm well off of the benzos. Please consider diluting. It's not that hard and you can make up a batch, store it in an amber jar or keep it in a dark place and you won't have to dilute often.

Is there some canonical post on how to do this and what tools one needs? You mention an amber jar and I've never heard of that. I don't know what sizes of syringes are recommended, etc. I've been able to go from 5.0MG to 4.1 MG with the precision I currently have, but I definitely want this to be as smooth as possible, so a comprehensive post or video or something that explains this all would be helpful.

Also, I heard talk of 5% tapers, 1% tapers, etc. Someone recommended to me 0.012 or 0.015 earlier. I'm not sure I follow (maybe benzo brain) how this all works out or how you determine what works best. It would seem that a taper that starts at 0.012 isn't linear. In the early stages that's a low percentage, but as you move along that's obviously a higher percentage. So how are people doing this math on this exactly?

All you have to do is read these two threads below. Pretty much all your questions will be answered there.

Valium daily taper-Milk or Liquid Valium

Valium daily taper-Vodka

This thread is good as an over-view of titration, but I find it gets a bit confusing because everyone's tapering something different, so responses can get confusing. You are probably better off with a thread specifically for valium. The valium support thread is also good.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=96753.0

If you are on 4mg, I think between a 0.015mg to 0.02mg daily cut would be good. If you plan on using a 100ml solution that would be 1.5ml to 2ml per day.

That would mean cutting 1mg over 50 to 66 days.  It’s really not necessary to think about percentages when you are daily cutting. You really have to find a daily cut that gives you the most manageable taper, and that will come with trial and error. Generally though, 0.015mg to 0.02mg seems to be what works for a lot of people around that dose, but like I said – trial and error.

I finally got my equipment here in Australia. So let's say I do this and make a batch of 90ml water to 10ml liquid Valium. Then what? I have a bunch of small amber bottles. What's the best process for making sure I follow this correctly? What do I do next?

OK, once you have mixed a batch of dilute liquid, all you really  need to do is draw out what ever you need to fill your dose each day.

For example, it your at 5mg and want to cut .05mg per day:

day 1    4mg tablets    10ml (1mg) liquid    total 5mg

day 2    4mg tablets    9.5ml (.95mg) liquid    total 4.95mg

day 3    4mg                9.0ml (.9mg)            total 4.9

day 4    4mg                8.5ml (.85mg)          total 4.85 etc

You can choose whatever schedule/taper rate you want.  Take most of your dose "whole numbers") by tablet, then the rest of your dose from liquid, cutting, and reducing daily by whatever amount you choose.

Or, you could take the whole dose from liquid, but most folks choose to do a combo of tablets and liquid.

Builder, SG and all BB, happy Easter to all.  In few days I will be on 2mg and decided to go for one dose in the evening as Builder and SG suggested when I asked for an opinion.  I used to take Rx liquid in my am dose before and tablet 2mg pm. Now I tapered off my morning dose that is my Rx liquid Diaz.  In your opinion can I use Rx liquid Diaz 1mg to MT and taking together with 1mg tablet.  One dose only in the Evening at the same time.  Is there any side effect is anyone have idea or tried it before. Please help.  Thanks, mcm

Builder, SG and all BB, happy Easter to all.  In few days I will be on 2mg and decided to go for one dose in the evening as Builder and SG suggested when I asked for an opinion.  I used to take Rx liquid in my am dose before and tablet 2mg pm. Now I tapered off my morning dose that is my Rx liquid Diaz.  In your opinion can I use Rx liquid Diaz 1mg to MT and taking together with 1mg tablet.  One dose only in the Evening at the same time. Is there any side effect is anyone have idea or tried it before. Please help.  Thanks, mcm

That will work just fine.

Builder, SG and all BB, happy Easter to all.  In few days I will be on 2mg and decided to go for one dose in the evening as Builder and SG suggested when I asked for an opinion.  I used to take Rx liquid in my am dose before and tablet 2mg pm. Now I tapered off my morning dose that is my Rx liquid Diaz.  In your opinion can I use Rx liquid Diaz 1mg to MT and taking together with 1mg tablet.  One dose only in the Evening at the same time.  Is there any side effect is anyone have idea or tried it before. Please help.  Thanks, mcm

This is V, right?  And you are doing fine on one dose a day?  That should be fine.  Be sure to use "the other half" of the 2mg tablet the next day.

This is V, right?  And you are doing fine on one dose a day?  That should be fine.  Be sure to use "the other half" of the 2mg tablet the next day.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Ki...]
    • [En...]
    • [Ye...]
    • [be...]
    • [Ma...]
    • [Ch...]
    • [So...]
    • [Pa...]
    • [...]
    • [ca...]