Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

SG57

Hi SG,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I appreciate the advice. I now know the math required to help my son.

He picks a dose he wants to reduce in 30 days and divides by 29.8mg/g then divide by 30 which gives daily reduction. So 1mg drop in 30 days = 1 divided by 29.8 = .0335g/month then divide by 30 = .0011g/ day.

I also understand the percentages.

I don't want this to sound too stupid but how did you arrive at 29.8 as the key number. It has me intrigued. What would the number be for 2 mg tablets.

You have helped us so much and taken a lot of the worry out of this.  Can't thank you enough.

I knew you'd get there.  You just needed to spend some time with it.

To find the conversion factor for a pill just divide full pill dose by full pill weight.  That's all there is to it.  5mg/.168g=29.8mg/g.  For 2mg it would be 2mg/.168g=11.9mg/g.  I think with a lot of this the math seems intimidating at first and people end up making it harder than it is.  But now you are beyond that and it is in your pocket.

Hi all  :hug: can I use vegetable glycerine to make a solution or does it have to be propylene Glycol? And how do I go about making a solution? I would be very grateful if some one who knows could take me through each step in simple terms please.  :o I am liquefying 2mg of Diazepam of my dose at the moment in 200mls of water, and don't know the procedure using glycerine if it's appropriate, and milk and alcohol are both no no's for me :D

Thanks Nova xxx :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Okay, I now know Glycerine can be used as a solvent but....

Disadvantages of glycerol as a solvent

High viscosity

Glycerol is very viscous at lower temperatures and can cause mass transfer problems. Solutions to this problem include using a fluidifying co-solvent or working at a higher temperature above 60°C where glycerol is less viscous. http://greenglycerol.wikispaces.com/Properties+of+Glycerol+as+a+Solvent

So wouldn't that be a problem using room temperature water to make the solution? And I still don't know the protocol for turning my pill into a solution using the glycerine.

Love Nova xxx :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hi SG  :hug: Do you know how I'm supposed to use glycerine to make a suspension at all? Do I add the water to the glycerine to dissolve it, then add the 2mg pill and shake to turn it into a suspension?

Thanks Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hi all  :hug: can I use vegetable glycerine to make a solution or does it have to be propylene Glycol? And how do I go about making a solution? I would be very grateful if some one who knows could take me through each step in simple terms please.  :o I am liquefying 2mg of Diazepam of my dose at the moment in 200mls of water, and don't know the procedure using glycerine if it's appropriate, and milk and alcohol are both no no's for me :D

High viscosity

Glycerol is very viscous at lower temperatures and can cause mass transfer problems. Solutions to this problem include using a fluidifying co-solvent or working at a higher temperature above 60°C where glycerol is less viscous. http://greenglycerol.wikispaces.com/Properties+of+Glycerol+as+a+Solvent

So wouldn't that be a problem using room temperature water to make the solution? And I still don't know the protocol for turning my pill into a solution using the glycerine.

Hi SG  :hug: Do you know how I'm supposed to use glycerine to make a suspension at all? Do I add the water to the glycerine to dissolve it, then add the 2mg pill and shake to turn it into a suspension?

I have to say, from reading this glycerine looks promising as a solvent.  It seems to dissolve a wide range of compounds and it mixes well with water.  Thanks for finding this.  The problem I see is we have no info about how well it dissolves benzos.  That might be something worth searching the net for.  But for now, unless you want to experiment with it, I'd recommend sticking with what we know...PG, alcohol, and sometimes milk.

SG,

yes if i mix it with water i need to shake and it went all clear and mixing properly, nextday i need to shake a bit again before taking the out some solution to drink.

If you need to keep shaking it it is not a solution and it did not dissolve.  It is a suspension, but may still work.  Suspensions can work too.

SG,

yes my liquid diazepam is an oral suspnsion, but it mix well if i shake it and im on it for than 3 weeks, i think its working.  what do think is it ok to keep going with my liquid suspension. its diazepam 2mg/5ml oral suspension manufactured by actavis. 

hope its ok.

mcm

If you need to keep shaking it it is not a solution and it did not dissolve.  It is a suspension, but may still work.  Suspensions can work too.

SG,

yes my liquid diazepam is an oral suspnsion, but it mix well if i shake it and im on it for than 3 weeks, i think its working.  what do think is it ok to keep going with my liquid suspension. its diazepam 2mg/5ml oral suspension manufactured by actavis. 

hope its ok.

mcm

Go with what works.  But I thought you were being forced off that and that this discussion was about concern over the 10mg/5ml product?

Hey,

I don't post a whole lot on BB, but I have been tapering Kpin for a while now. It has been a long, scary, lonely journey from a horrible reaction to an antibiotic. I think I have tried a mixture of approaches, not being very consistent, and it has worked out in the past.  But, I am now recovering from a rather painful cut that has brought back symptoms that have been gone about a year.  The last cut on 3/4 was a cut and hold and it was brutal....not doing that again. I was thinking about returning to daily microtapering to get myself down to zero. I had microtapered prior to this last, foolish attempt to cut and hold at a rate of 0.002mg per day and was doing fine with it. It appears, however, that I have hit the level where all tapering is going to be rather difficult. I have started to get interdose withdrawals also, even during the night.  My question is, should I attempt a return to the 0.002mg a day that was working prior to this nasty cut or decrease the rate down to 0.001mg a day? I have stabilized mostly from the last cut with most of the symptoms being gone. Still being plagued with some doom/gloom and fear. I am trying to minimize the worst of the symptoms because I am working full-time.

Thanks, HT2

High viscosity

Nova,

I work in a pharmacy that compounds. We use just enough glycerine to mix tablets in, like 5 ml or so. We use glycerine only when the powder is prone to clump and will most likely not dissolve In the main type of suspending agent.

We crush the tablets into powder then pour in the 5 ml (or so) glycerine into the powder. Usually, I use the mortar and pestil to crush the powder/glycerine mixture together to make sure it is mixed thoroughly. Then pour in the other syrup (into powder/glycerine mixture) up to the volume needed to get the desired concentration.

Sorry to jump in the conversation...thought I might could help :)

HT2

High viscosity

Nova,

I work in a pharmacy that compounds. We use just enough glycerine to mix tablets in, like 5 ml or so. We use glycerine only when the powder is prone to clump and will most likely not dissolve In the main type of suspending agent.

We crush the tablets into powder then pour in the 5 ml (or so) glycerine into the powder. Usually, I use the mortar and pestil to crush the powder/glycerine mixture together to make sure it is mixed thoroughly. Then pour in the other syrup (into powder/glycerine mixture) up to the volume needed to get the desired concentration.

HT2

Hi HT :hug: Can that be done using a 2mg pill and 200mls of water in place of the other syrup?

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hey,

I don't post a whole lot on BB, but I have been tapering Kpin for a while now. It has been a long, scary, lonely journey from a horrible reaction to an antibiotic. I think I have tried a mixture of approaches, not being very consistent, and it has worked out in the past.  But, I am now recovering from a rather painful cut that has brought back symptoms that have been gone about a year.  The last cut on 3/4 was a cut and hold and it was brutal....not doing that again. I was thinking about returning to daily microtapering to get myself down to zero. I had microtapered prior to this last, foolish attempt to cut and hold at a rate of 0.002mg per day and was doing fine with it. It appears, however, that I have hit the level where all tapering is going to be rather difficult. I have started to get interdose withdrawals also, even during the night.  My question is, should I attempt a return to the 0.002mg a day that was working prior to this nasty cut or decrease the rate down to 0.001mg a day? I have stabilized mostly from the last cut with most of the symptoms being gone. Still being plagued with some doom/gloom and fear. I am trying to minimize the worst of the symptoms because I am working full-time.

Thanks, HT2

Your dose looks like it is .06mg?  And you were cutting .002mg a day?  It also seems like you have recovered.  Keep holding if you feel you are getting something out of it, but it sounds like a .0015mg cut might be okay to try next.

High viscosity

Nova,

HT2

Hi HT :hug: Can that be done using a 2mg pill and 200mls of water in place of the other syrup?

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hey Nova,

I was trying to find a recipe for you. It looks to me like most of the recipes dilute the tablet in 5ml of ethanol and then add it to a suspending agent, lIke ora-plus (to maintain a stability of 14 days).. I guess it needs the alcohol to diilute the compound because of the properties of diazepam in water. I would buy ora-plus from amazon and use it. Water would probably work to a degree but you would have to worry about the powder falling of the solution (for example...getting particles at the bottom of your bottle).

But, to me it seems like a small amount of alcohol should be used instead of glycerine to disolve it for further dilution. If u dilute with water shake it well and use immediately.

Sorry if confusing,

HT2

Howdy, Maya!! Great to "see" ya. And congrats on the success. You're making us all look bad :)

Hugs,

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Thank you! It has not been easy, but I felt sick for years from Benzos. I can't imagine if I had been on them over 20 years. 13+ years has been horrific.I am always so happy to "hear" from you. I really hope this med helps and things get easier for you. You and your wife are up in my thoughts and prayers. I admire your amazing attitude and I would give you some of am cuts a month if I could. Sending you lots of love and many prayers.

:smitten:

XO Maya

Hey,

Thanks, HT2

Your dose looks like it is .06mg?  And you were cutting .002mg a day?  It also seems like you have recovered.  Keep holding if you feel you are getting something out of it, but it sounds like a .0015mg cuvt might be okay to try next.

Thanks SG,

Giving it a go tonight....back to the microtaper.  I had a pretty good day today with only dp/dr and some milder symptoms still plaguing me. Tinnitis too....but not expecting that too leave anytime soon. Hopefully it has been long enough wait and the microtaper won't push me back to being increasingly symptomatic. I had to change to four times a day because of the interdose withdrawals that are hitting me badly at work and during the night..  Hopefully, this will be over soon...and then the fun starts.  :thumbsup:

HT2

Im MT ativan and have been using plain water .It seems to be working fine .Im at .2 divided into two doses .Going down 1ml a day .Im wondering if anyone else has used plain water ? As long as you shake it up enough it should be okay right ? I saw a table listed here showing how much alcohol to use for different benzos . If Im not mistaken at .5 you shouldnt need alcohol but I might have misunderstood . Thoughts ?

Im MT ativan and have been using plain water .It seems to be working fine .Im at .2 divided into two doses .Going down 1ml a day .Im wondering if anyone else has used plain water ? As long as you shake it up enough it should be okay right ? I saw a table listed here showing how much alcohol to use for different benzos . If Im not mistaken at .5 you shouldnt need alcohol but I might have misunderstood . Thoughts ?

Anne uses that method for ativan and she has done fine.  If you have been getting good results there is no reason to stop.  You are suspending the drug and water is a poor suspension liquid, but it can work if you do it right.  A suggestion would be to dissolve it first in a few mls of alcohol and add water, but them continue to do what you are already doing...best of both worlds.

I would like to find a spreadsheet for 150 ml taper - since I am at .86 mg and I wold have to start at 1 mg would I just bring the water down to .86 to start?  Thank you

Hi Jeff,

Are you going to be taking naturethroid? Or Armour thyroid ?

I am about to go the same route... Could not tolerate  the Levo or the synthroid.

Seeing a new doc about it Monday.

What a hassle, no?  :-\

Hoping Builder is doing ok...

Hey Moodle! We decided to bypass Armour since it was bought out by a new company last year, reformulated it, and lots and lots of people have had a really tough time. Naturethroid is an option, but I just talked to so many people who said that NP Thyroid was a very "clean" natural dessicated thyroid med and that they had really good results. Different strokes, ya know? I wish you greatness with whatever way you go. I hope your doc has tested all parts of the thyroid (Reverse T3, Free T3, Free T4, TSH, and both antibody tests) and, just as importantly, looked at WHERE things fall within each range. Really important.

Keep hanging tough!

Jeff

Hey JEFF!

Thanks.

Does NP thyroid have t3 ?

Yes, all the tests have been done. I have hashimoto's.

Most endos seems to think that I'm fine as I go from low to high TSH. Which is so weird. When I happen to test and my TSh is lower, they say it starts looking better.  Next time, it's way up there again.

Glad I did the antibodies test. I'm so tired of this.

Did you also lose a lot of hair? I used to have a huge amount of hair. Now I lost about 1/3 of it all.

Sorry for high jacking this thread for a second.

Hi Moodle! Yes NP has T3 just like Armour. And I can't say I lost any hair. I didn't have much in the first place :) Haven't had much since college. LONG time ago. Hey, check out Izabella Wentz site for some great Hashi's info. I've met her before. She's got a great story and has been through it all just like you. She helps a lot of people with her site as well as this book: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0615825796/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=61751575523&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=s&hvrand=12254073660085252129&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_2z7cg15qwq_b

Gotta run, but we'll be in touch.

Hugs and prayers for ya!

Jeff

Howdy, Maya!! Great to "see" ya. And congrats on the success. You're making us all look bad :)

Hugs,

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Thank you! It has not been easy, but I felt sick for years from Benzos. I can't imagine if I had been on them over 20 years. 13+ years has been horrific.I am always so happy to "hear" from you. I really hope this med helps and things get easier for you. You and your wife are up in my thoughts and prayers. I admire your amazing attitude and I would give you some of am cuts a month if I could. Sending you lots of love and many prayers.

XO Maya

Bless ya, Maya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[2f...]

I would like to find a spreadsheet for 150 ml taper - since I am at .86 mg and I wold have to start at 1 mg would I just bring the water down to .86 to start?  Thank you

Let's see if I have this right...

You want to dissolve your pill into 150 mls

Your pills contain 1 mg of tranxene??

You want to take 8 mg as a solid and do a liquid taper of 0.86??

Is that correct??

How long do you want this taper to last - or - how large a cut do you want to begin with??

Let's see if I have this right...

You want to dissolve your pill into 150 mls

Your pills contain 1 mg of tranxene??

You want to take 8 mg as a solid and do a liquid taper of 0.86??

Is that correct??

How long do you want this taper to last - or - how large a cut do you want to begin with??

Hi!

I'm switching from dry tranxene to ativan - traxnene is not stable at all in water.

I don't know i just want to be off in 6 months.  I've been tapering 21 months dry cutting as is. 

[2f...]

Hi!

I'm switching from dry tranxene to ativan - traxnene is not stable at all in water.

I don't know i just want to be off in 6 months.  I've been tapering 21 months dry cutting as is.

OK...

What is your current dose of Ativan?

What size pills are you using to taper?

Am I correct that you want to dissolve an intact pill in 150 ml?  Then remove some and drink the rest??

Hello All,

I usually post over in the KK forum.  They recommended I post here to get some help with my MT.  I use a scale and dry cut .5mg pills.

I would really appreciate any advice you can give me on how and what rate I can resume my MT.

I have currently been holding at .471/mg/day for the last 3 days.  Still not feeling very good.

Back on 2/16/16 I started a daily taper (from .694mg/day).  I started with cuts of 1% daily, but then started increasing the daily dose to see if I could tolerate a more rapid taper.  By 3/14/16 I was up to 2.5% cut/day.  Up to that point my taper was tolerable and I even had a couple of fairly good days on 3/10-11, but on 3/13 things went all to hell.  I have really been in bad shape for the last couple of days. My current dose is .471/mg/day.

I am not sure if it was the 2.5% cuts or the accumulation of all the larger cuts I had been making.  In 27 days I cut .223mg or 32% of my 2/16 dose.  Also, I did not hold any days during those cuts.  But now I am holding to try and settle down before I resume taper.  I am trying to tough this out.  Do not want to up dose.  The last time I did that it did not help and it added 2 months to get back to the dose I was on then.

I really want to get off this crap, but it looks like I will have to slow down when I resume the taper.  May resume at 1%/day and try to get to 1.5%/day.

Thank you,

Steve

[2f...]

Steve - you're doing this right.  When you could you accelerated; when you can't you slow down.  In hindsight, 2.5% per day was probably too aggressive for you, but it was worth a try.  I totally agree that you hold until you feel a bit better then resume more slowly (especially at first).  Nothing wrong with resuming at 0.5% per day until you see how you're doing.

Remember that the cut you do today won't be fully realized for several days, so be really careful accelerating your tapering pace.

Hello All,

I usually post over in the KK forum.  They recommended I post here to get some help with my MT.  I use a scale and dry cut .5mg pills.

I would really appreciate any advice you can give me on how and what rate I can resume my MT.

I have currently been holding at .471/mg/day for the last 3 days.  Still not feeling very good.

Back on 2/16/16 I started a daily taper (from .694mg/day).  I started with cuts of 1% daily, but then started increasing the daily dose to see if I could tolerate a more rapid taper.  By 3/14/16 I was up to 2.5% cut/day.  Up to that point my taper was tolerable and I even had a couple of fairly good days on 3/10-11, but on 3/13 things went all to hell.  I have really been in bad shape for the last couple of days. My current dose is .471/mg/day.

I am not sure if it was the 2.5% cuts or the accumulation of all the larger cuts I had been making.  In 27 days I cut .223mg or 32% of my 2/16 dose.  Also, I did not hold any days during those cuts.  But now I am holding to try and settle down before I resume taper.  I am trying to tough this out.  Do not want to up dose.  The last time I did that it did not help and it added 2 months to get back to the dose I was on then.

I really want to get off this crap, but it looks like I will have to slow down when I resume the taper.  May resume at 1%/day and try to get to 1.5%/day.

Thank you,

Steve

Judging by your comments you won't like my opinion, but I think you should go back to the last dose you felt good at and not try to tough this out.  2.5% a day is a lot...too much.  A month ago you were at .694mg.  If you had tapered 20% in that month, which is moving pretty good, you'd be at .555mg right now.  You're well below that at .471mg.  It has not been long so going back will likely work.

Hugs,

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

XO Maya

Bless ya, Maya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Jeff!

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [fa...]
    • [hu...]
    • [Ba...]
    • [Ab...]
    • [Be...]
    • [Ta...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Ca...]
    • [ge...]