Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

Here is the post suggesting that I cut back one dose at a time, but others have said that the one thing I do NOT want to do is to cut back one dose at a time.

Clearly, there is no one right answer for everyone.

I know everyone has had a different experience, with different techniques....and i am wondering what other people have found to be helpful, and which way worked for them.

Here is what was sent to me as a suggestion;

Hey tango!

Congratz and spreading your dose out and stabilizing.  It sounds like you have a good handle on the process.  If I were you, I would reduce each dose a little before cutting again.  It's hard to explain so will show you a sample:

1:  .5 .5 .5 .5

2:  .48 .5 .5 .5

3:  .48 .48 .5 .5

4:  .48 .48 .48 .5

5:  .48 .48 .48 .48

6:  .46 .48 .48 .48

7:  .46 .46 .48 .48

And so on...

This is just an example, the time frame and amount of cut I just picked to illustrate and not suggesting as a rate.  It will be your decision as to how fast or slow you want to go.  I strongly encourage you to trust your body and go at a rate you can handle.  It the long run it will take less time because you will not need to back track.  I hope this helps!  Please let me know if you have other questions I can help you with.

Stay strong!

sharkey

Now i am confused.

One of the other micro taper responders suggested that I taper one dose at a time. Until all four doses are the same.......and then begin to cut dose one again.

Yikes!!! There seem to be so many differing opinions....and I am really scared to make a mistake.

Help!!

General rule of thumb is taper all doses as close to even and evenly as possible. If your doses are wildly uneven now, I'd suggest tapering them in a way that gets them close to even or redistributing them to get as even as possible before continuing. I accidentally got way uneven once and redistributed to even before continuing.

Sorry, brain is too tired to get into actual number-crunching. Math gurus crunch numbers, not me.  ;)

Here is the post suggesting that I cut back one dose at a time, but others have said that the one thing I do NOT want to do is to cut back one dose at a time.

I know everyone has had a different experience, with different techniques....and i am wondering what other people have found to be helpful, and which way worked for them.

Hey tango!

Congratz and spreading your dose out and stabilizing.  It sounds like you have a good handle on the process.  If I were you, I would reduce each dose a little before cutting again.  It's hard to explain so will show you a sample:

And so on...

This is just an example, the time frame and amount of cut I just picked to illustrate and not suggesting as a rate.  It will be your decision as to how fast or slow you want to go.  I strongly encourage you to trust your body and go at a rate you can handle.  It the long run it will take less time because you will not need to back track.  I hope this helps!  Please let me know if you have other questions I can help you with.

Stay strong!

sharkey

Actually, what I'd call this is round-robin cutting. To me, cutting one dose at a time could mean tapering one dose away until it is gone or it could mean round robin cutting. See, even in Sharkey's example, the doses are kept close to even.

Hey tango!

And so on...

Stay strong!

sharkey

Actually, what I'd call this is round-robin cutting. To me, cutting one dose at a time could mean tapering one dose away until it is gone or it could mean round robin cutting. See, even in Sharkey's example, the doses are kept close to even.

What Sharkey wrote is fine.  I need to be more clear...what I meant when I said one dose at a time is what Gard said, i.e., don't keep focusing on one dose and taper it all away or way down while not touching the others as, if you need that dose, you will eventually taper yourself into interdose symptoms.  But keeping them all close to even is fine.

Gard and SG,

This is good and interesting advice....as it is for me easier to round robin the doses than to add them all together and divide them equally - at least at this point in my taper.  I have been "round robining" the doses ever since beginning my taper and so far, especially at this lower percentage, the sxs have been minimal compared to what they were in the early months -- as I cut too much and too quickly right at the beginning and paid for it mightily!!!  :-X

It always is a good idea, for me at least, to peek at this thread!  I almost always find good, sound advice and thoughtful posts on it.

Thanks, guys!!

Mana  :smitten:

Made it to .87mg.  Down from 1mg since September 1. Sx are up the past two days. Went a little faster from .90 to .87 so that may be why. Was hoping to cut 1mL tonight, but guess that is a negative. Insomnia, getting 4 hours sleep maybe

Teeth are sensitive, facial tension. I wish I could go faster. Why am I so sensitive to the cuts? Rhetorical question. Sigh.

Hope everyone is hanging tough.

Shaani

Made it to .87mg.  Down from 1mg since September 1. Sx are up the past two days. Went a little faster from .90 to .87 so that may be why. Was hoping to cut 1mL tonight, but guess that is a negative. Insomnia, getting 4 hours sleep maybe

Teeth are sensitive, facial tension. I wish I could go faster. Why am I so sensitive to the cuts? Rhetorical question. Sigh.

Hope everyone is hanging tough.

Shaani

Sounds like we are in a similar place, Shaani. Bad recently. Sensitive teeth is my latest. Insomnia way up. Weight down again, and I am already too thin. Have slowed down MT in attempt to ease symptoms. Neuropathy is less, thank God.

Considering crossing further. Wondering if that's a nutty thing to do.

Warning to thread: All advice given by me should be taken with huge grain of salt because my brain is blinking off and on. ::):o

Here's to a better tomorrow.

Gard

HELP!!!

I have been taking 2mg Ativan in one single dose at night for three years. Recently began having "tolerance withdrawal symptoms"....at least, that is what I think they are. Anxiety, weakness, faint headed, nausea.

!st began to split dose into 2..1mg day and 1mg night. Was surprised at how strong the morning dose felt....I have never taken it except for bed. Functioned ok....some anxiety, nausea and weakness, but functioning.

Some suggestions from the boards indicated that I might feel better with 4 doses, so I got .5 pills and am taking them every 6 hours....and I feel TERRIBLE!!!! Feel totally drugged and nauseated and weak all the time. I feel best when my doses is running out, and I don't have as much of this poison in my system. The Ativan dose is actually making me feel sick.....I feel it every time I take a dose, I feel worse.

What do I do???  Go back to 2 doses a day??

Don't worry....I am certainly not foolish enough to stop taking the Ativan or even to start cutting down until I can stabilize. And I am getting liquid Ativan delivered soon, so I can start a taper.

But please....help me to stabilize a bit before I start off my taper.

Really scared....Tango

ReplyQuoteNotify

HELP!!!

I have been taking 2mg Ativan in one single dose at night for three years. Recently began having "tolerance withdrawal symptoms"....at least, that is what I think they are. Anxiety, weakness, faint headed, nausea.

!st began to split dose into 2..1mg day and 1mg night. Was surprised at how strong the morning dose felt....I have never taken it except for bed. Functioned ok....some anxiety, nausea and weakness, but functioning.

Some suggestions from the boards indicated that I might feel better with 4 doses, so I got .5 pills and am taking them every 6 hours....and I feel TERRIBLE!!!! Feel totally drugged and nauseated and weak all the time. I feel best when my doses is running out, and I don't have as much of this poison in my system. The Ativan dose is actually making me feel sick.....I feel it every time I take a dose, I feel worse.

What do I do???  Go back to 2 doses a day??

Don't worry....I am certainly not foolish enough to stop taking the Ativan or even to start cutting down until I can stabilize. And I am getting liquid Ativan delivered soon, so I can start a taper.

But please....help me to stabilize a bit before I start off my taper.

Really scared....Tango

ReplyQuoteNotify

It is probably the new pills.  Either a different brand or even the strength might be off within the same brand as it may be from a different batch.  Check the brands and compare old and new.

Yes....it is definitely the pills. I was taking a 2mg Ativan tab and splitting it into 2 doses.

Then my Dr gave me .5 pills so I could go to 4 even doses, and that is when all hell broke loose....yikes. Who knew this could be a problem.

Question, should I just go back to my old pills and water titrate the doses? I was taking 2 doses and trying to stabilize after some tolerance withdrawal symptoms. Should I just go back to two doses using the old pills??

My aim is to get my system to stabilize before I start my taper.

I just had a problem going from 2mg pills (which I was splitting) to .5 pills. same dose, new pills and all hell broke loose.

What is going to happen when I get the liquid Ativan from my compounding DR??

Has anyone had a problem switching from Ativan pills to liquid??

I just had a problem going from 2mg pills (which I was splitting) to .5 pills. same dose, new pills and all hell broke loose.

What is going to happen when I get the liquid Ativan from my compounding DR??

Has anyone had a problem switching from Ativan pills to liquid??

It is very common to feel the change from one product to another...pills to pills or pills to liquid.  I think they do not make them accurate enough...+/-10% or something.  But keep in mind that the new product could be the one that has more Ativan in it next time...it does not always go lower with each change, it may go higher next time.

It's up to you if you want to ride out and stabilize on the new pills or go back and split the old pills.  The other option is to try to updose on the new pills, but it is guesswork as to how much you need.

Once tolerance withdrawal symptoms start, is there any way to stabilize your body before you begin to taper??

I have been taking 2mg Ativan all in one dose, before bed for three years with zero symptoms. I am just getting ready to start a slow taper, and i am suddenly experiencing tolerance w/d symptoms.

I tried splitting my dose into two even parts, but felt druged and sick to my stomach.

Then tried four .5 doses and really felt horrible...weak, sick to stomach, faint. Much worse than with 2 even doses.

Any other suggestions?? I really want to feel stronger before I start to taper

Once tolerance withdrawal symptoms start, is there any way to stabilize your body before you begin to taper??

I have been taking 2mg Ativan all in one dose, before bed for three years with zero symptoms. I am just getting ready to start a slow taper, and i am suddenly experiencing tolerance w/d symptoms.

I tried splitting my dose into two even parts, but felt druged and sick to my stomach.

Then tried four .5 doses and really felt horrible...weak, sick to stomach, faint. Much worse than with 2 even doses.

Any other suggestions?? I really want to feel stronger before I start to taper

I only know of one type of withdrawal and that is when you are short of benzo.  I don't know what tolerance withdrawal is or how it works.  I think you are just in regular withdrawal.

Hello, this is Garder's daughter. She says she would like a "math guru" to check the plan we made for crossing one more step to Librium. She hasn't been sleeping so it's hard for her to do the math.

This is what she is taking currently (all of the Xanax is a 5% dilution):

2:50am- 5 mg Librium, 1.44 mL of 5% Xanax dilution

7:40am- 5 mg Librium, 1.44 mL Xanax dilution

12:20pm- 5 mg L, 1.44 mL XD

5:10pm- 5 mg L, 1.44 mL XD

10:00pm- 5 mg L, 1.46 mL XD

She wants to take another step towards Librium, so here's what I helped her work out for how she could do that:

3:00am- .88 mL Xanax dilution

7:00am- 10 mg Librium, .86 mL Xanax dilution

11:00am- .88 mL XD

3:00pm- 10 mg L, .86 mL XD

7:00pm- .88 mL XD

11:00pm- 10 mg L, .86 mL XD

Is this correct? She wants to hold for a week because she's very ill.

Thank you very much.

Hello, this is Garder's daughter. She says she would like a "math guru" to check the plan we made for crossing one more step to Librium. She hasn't been sleeping so it's hard for her to do the math.

She wants to take another step towards Librium, so here's what I helped her work out for how she could do that:

Thank you very much.

Gard is on 25mgL+.361mgX and she want to be on 30mgL+.261mgX.  You did a really good job figuring a new setup.  It is right on the money - all the math seems to be correct.  The only tweak I see is to make all the X doses .87ml, which is a bit simpler.  The swap of 5mgL is 12% of total dose so it should be very doable in one step.  A one week hold is a good idea.

[76...]

Dear Gardner,

Wanting to send you much love, support, and healing. You're in a tough spot, for now, it will lift.

You are strong, resilient, and resourceful. You will bounce back. Glad to hear your daughter is with you.

Marija💗

Thank you very much.

Gard is on 25mgL+.361mgX and she want to be on 30mgL+.261mgX.  You did a really good job figuring a new setup.  It is right on the money - all the math seems to be correct.  The only tweak I see is to make all the X doses .87ml, which is a bit simpler.  The swap of 5mgL is 12% of total dose so it should be very doable in one step.  A one week hold is a good idea.

Thank you! Unfortunately the syringes only measure even numbers which is why I set it up that way. I'm glad the math was correct. Thanks for looking it over for us.

Dear Gardner,

Wanting to send you much love, support, and healing. You're in a tough spot, for now, it will lift.

You are strong, resilient, and resourceful. You will bounce back. Glad to hear your daughter is with you.

Marija💗

My mom says thank you and she hopes you're doing okay.

Thank you! Unfortunately the syringes only measure even numbers which is why I set it up that way. I'm glad the math was correct. Thanks for looking it over for us.

Ahh, okay.  I thought it was odd that you would do that when you were so on top of everything else.

Anne, Mana, Maya,,

THANK YOU so much for your helpful and supportive responses! Apologies it took me awhile to get back to you, but dealing with Shingles seems to have made the cog fog worse and somehow I missed your responses.

Anyway, I was really heartened by the positive experiences you shared. Even in the worst case scenarios you related, everyone eventually recovered from Shingles! The really bad "flu-like" phase has mostly passed and now I am just dealing with pain and fatigue. I only had, like, 5 bumps so I am utterly astonished by how much pain there has been, but I'm so glad I don't seem to have had a bad case -- and hoping I don't get another, ever! Mana and Maya, you have my sympathies for what you went through! I am just about two weeks into it all now and hoping the pain will start to fade soon. My doc suggested I stop cutting until I see him in a week, so I have been holding, but I am eager to get tapering again as this is just taking sooooo long...

I also was very interested to read Anne's comments on how micro-tapering right down to the smallest dose left her with virtually no sxs after jumping! That is good to hear. I wonder if it would be the same for Valium, with its long half-life?

Thanks again for your support -- I really appreciate it! :smitten:

Mo

Anne, Mana, Maya,,

THANK YOU so much for your helpful and supportive responses! Apologies it took me awhile to get back to you, but dealing with Shingles seems to have made the cog fog worse and somehow I missed your responses.

Anyway, I was really heartened by the positive experiences you shared. Even in the worst case scenarios you related, everyone eventually recovered from Shingles! The really bad "flu-like" phase has mostly passed and now I am just dealing with pain and fatigue. I only had, like, 5 bumps so I am utterly astonished by how much pain there has been, but I'm so glad I don't seem to have had a bad case -- and hoping I don't get another, ever! Mana and Maya, you have my sympathies for what you went through! I am just about two weeks into it all now and hoping the pain will start to fade soon. My doc suggested I stop cutting until I see him in a week, so I have been holding, but I am eager to get tapering again as this is just taking sooooo long...

I also was very interested to read Anne's comments on how micro-tapering right down to the smallest dose left her with virtually no sxs after jumping! That is good to hear. I wonder if it would be the same for Valium, with its long half-life?

Thanks again for your support -- I really appreciate it! :smitten:

Mo

Hi Mosart,

I am happy that you are seeing some improvement with the shingles. It sounds like it was diagnosed quickly.  In my husband's case, they thought the pain was due to heart problems, and he was admitted to the hospital.  The rash was not obvious at first which was the reason for the delayed diagnosis.  In fact, I believe he was diagnosed with shingles a week or so later. Even though his was a bad case, he recovered completely.  I am glad to hear that your doctor is on board with your taper as well.

I have no experience with valium, but yes at the end of my first taper I had zero problems--I tapered to about 0.02 mg. I am now down to 0.25 mg/day and I feel great. It is a big difference from several weeks ago when I thought I would need to updose. I really thought that I would not be able to continue without updosing because symptoms were so bad.  I do work full time so being functional at work is important. This taper is much rougher than the first one because I was not completely stabilized when I started the taper back in June. Again, I do believe that healing takes place as we taper. I hope this continues all the way down to zero. It will take me about 8 months to taper the 0.25 mg, but it will be worth it if I am symptom free at the end. 

Good luck to you Mosart.  It sounds like you will recover from the shingles soon. I like that your doctor suggested that you not cut during this time. It is great to have a supportive doctor.  My doctor knows nothing about tapering so it is left up to me to make the decisions.

Warm regards,

Anne

Thank you very much.

Dear Gardner,

Marija💗

My mom says thank you and she hopes you're doing okay.

Hi Gardner,

I hope that you feel better soon.  I am sure you will once you get used to the new dosage.

You are in my thoughts.  I wish you well.

Anne

Thank you, Anne. I am actually typing this myself.  :) I had been having so much nerve pain that I was sleeping almost nothing. My psych prescribed gabapentin and then my neurologist told me to stop it abruptly. So then, half-asleep, I accidentally took a quadruple dose of an old sedating med (trazodone) I had taken in the past. Per pharmacist, a high dose of trazodone could be stimulating and make you really sick. I was awake all night and all day jumping out of my skin and feeling like I was dying. And so exhausted I couldn't walk more than a few steps or do more than sip fluids. The pharmacist predicted I would feel better by Sunday, provided I got some sleep. So I went back to the gabapentin out of desperation last night and did sleep. Unfortunately, gabapentin starts to lose its sedating effect after a few days of consecutive use, so it's not a long-term fix.  :(

I'm doing the crossover that SG and my daughter planned out. Considering crossing all the way over to L. The X taper has just gotten too brutal. So far I feel OK on the upped L. It is definitely not a down-dose. It always feels like an up-dose when I sub in L. Makes me a bit slow and sad, but not horrible, not yet!  :thumbsup:

My kids (college) are driving me to see a new specialist at a big teaching hospital a few hours away tomorrow. It took forever and begging by my primary to get in. He has multiple certifications, including sleep disorders and neurology. I am hoping that since he understands both neurology and sleep disorders, he can give me advice about my health problems (autoimmune neuropathy and a significant sleep disorder that I had even before the big Xanax disaster), how to medicate or not medicate them, how to work around my liver problems (genetic defect), and how to get enough sleep to function (clearly I'm not). And also not contradict himself! My current doctors (sleep, psych, neuro) often contradict each other and leave me wondering what to do.

Am holding my taper this week while I see how the L affects me and to try to get my feet back under me. I hate holding!  :tickedoff:  But it does seem wise right now. I need sleep and no more med screw ups.

Gard  :smitten:

P.S. If I cross all the way to L, I all be re-opening the solubility of L debate! Or I might just shake like crazy and use the measure and pitch out method. I don't think my psychiatrist would have any problem with my wasting med. He's very easy going. I'm going to miss him when he leaves in April! If he leaves. He has pushed back his leave date 3 times.  :thumbsup:

Ahh, okay.  I thought it was odd that you would do that when you were so on top of everything else.

Thanks for helping my daughter with this, SG! I had all the equivalencies written out on a card that I made many weeks ago, so she was going off of that. And then I told her to please check with you to make sure her figuring was correct. After my big med screw-up, I didn't need another one! ::)

I'm feeling tired and slow today but no longer at death's door. If you look at my note to Anne, you'll see what I've been up to. Mainly sleeping almost nothing, eating half what I should be because of being nauseous, and not realizing my brain was no longer working (because my brain was no longer working). My daughter came home and rescued me. For some reason she wants me around even when I'm a complete wreck. I'm really hoping crossing to L will make me function better and I can continue my micro taper. My kids need me. (Ex baled out when I got sick and almost never sees them, so they're just stuck with just one, needy parent.) My kids think they're adults but college kids are still kids and need a functioning parent!

I hope my daughter doesn't have to come on here again. She might read this! :o  :laugh:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [...]
    • [ry...]
    • [...]
    • [fr...]
    • [Pa...]
    • [ti...]
    • [Pa...]
    • [Fa...]
    • [Kr...]
    • [El...]
    • [Re...]