Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

Hi , I am new here. I am on Xanax for 3 mounths 0,25 mg regular Xanax dividend in 2 dose and Xanax XR 0,5 mg for night. I am Really affraid to start my tapering, i have to take care of my little daughter and household. Maybe I would like to try microtapering. How it works with Xanax XR ? It is the same like regular Xanax? I have read here about using propylen glycol to dissolve Xanax for microtapering, can I do This also with Xanax XR?

Thank you very much for your advices:-)

My Xanax doses now:

7:00 0,125 mg regular X 12:30 0,125 mg regular X and 19:00 X XR

Hi Zuzka,

A time released med should not be crushed. I am sure someone else that has experience with time release Xanax will chime in here. I would think you would need to get the non-time release Xanax to do a daily liquid taper.

Anne

Nope, Xanax XR should not be crushed. Regular Xanax, though it has short half life. Valium crossover, maybe?

Gardener,

Thanks! I really hope so! I know you had some hard stuff going on. I think it was smart to stop the c/o then. That's great that you were able to remove a dose. I would love to remove a dose. I am cutting so many pills a day. If it helps, it is worth it. I definitely know what you mean about feeling your life revolves around dosing.

You have a good son! That is a very sensible way to turn 21. That is not what I was doing at 21. I, glad what you are going through can at least be a learning experience for them. I hope all is going with with your new therapist! If you get a chance I would love an update. I have therapy today and we are going to talk about some ACT (acceptance and commitment therapy) strategies. It seems to tie in nicely with DBT. We have been talking a lot about values, lately. That is mentioned a lot in DBT, as well.

I am glad you are not setting an alarm. When I saw 3am on your schedule I was a bit surprised. I hope your sleep is improving and you are doing well!

XO Maya  :smitten:

I have a workbook on ACT and like it better than DBT so far. They really do overlap quite a bit, it seems. I just can't find a therapist here who even knows about ACT.

Yes, the 3AM is not exactly correct. It's an estimate. A wild estimate! It's whenever I wake up. This morning I dosed at 5AM.

I'm not sure what SG is saying to you about how to dose in the night. Do you tend to wake up? If you are going to occasionally move your morning dose earlier, into the night, I hope you are not waking as early as I do. I wake up every night, as early as 1AM and as late as 5:30AM so I have one of my 5 doses planned for the night.

If I wake at 1AM, I don't take the dose. That's too early. I go back to sleep and wait for the next time I wake up, which will happen. If I'm already awake at 1AM, I know it's going to be a bad night and I'm going to be awake many times that night, so I will have other chances to get closer to my 3AM goal. Once in awhile I actually hit the goal.

I'm so glad your crossover is going well! I think you will be able to drop to dosing 5 times when you get more V in there. It really is nice to have fewer doses. I feel like my day is more normal now. :thumbsup:

You wake up once at night??  Man!! I'd be ecstatic to just be able to go to sleep ONE time for a few hours. I pray, pray, pray for a time to come when I can sleep for more than a few minutes at a time. I "fell asleep" the other afternoon and woke up and just  knew that I'd been asleep for several hours. I felt pretty decent for a minute, looked at my clock, then noticed it had only been 16 minutes. Really stinks. My mind is officially lost. Let me know if you find my mind or anybody elses. I'll take whatever I can get. Thanks!

You wake up once at night??  Man!! I'd be ecstatic to just be able to go to sleep ONE time for a few hours. I pray, pray, pray for a time to come when I can sleep for more than a few minutes at a time. I "fell asleep" the other afternoon and woke up and just  knew that I'd been asleep for several hours. I felt pretty decent for a minute, looked at my clock, then noticed it had only been 16 minutes. Really stinks. My mind is officially lost. Let me know if you find my mind or anybody elses. I'll take whatever I can get. Thanks!

I know the feeling. After months of that, I couldn't take it any more and now I am drugged to sleep at night. On a good night I only wake up once. I don't know how good the quality of the sleep is, I'm still very tired, but it sure beats looking at the clock all night. The gabapentin doesn't work well or keep me asleep very long but it's better than nothing. The Q works better, but makes me feel awful the whole next day. Still beats looking at the clock all night, though.

So how's it going with your new doctor? Getting the scripts you need to taper properly?

I think it was a very good sign.  If you had cut .15mg K and not added any V you would have felt it within a day, right?  You seem to have successfully replaced it with V and not felt anything.  Just like your 2.5% cuts, you can be a little short and not feel it.

V has its own dosing so you need to pick three or four.  It's a guess.  Adding 3mg seems to work fine for you, but 2mg should also work.  You'd probably swap more frequently.

How about this for sleep.  Have a dose ready for the middle of the night.  If you wake up, take it.  If you remain asleep, take it in the morning.  We don't want to interrupt sleep, but nine hours is a very long time for you.  I'm thinking it might help you sleep.  It might help you all around.  A middle-of-the-night dose might be worth it when the span is nine hours and you feel interdose after three or four hours.

I 100% would have felt it a good deal yesterday morning. I say 24 hrs, but it is really usually within 12 hours that I feel cuts fully.

I am not sure if I will need to dose V 3 or 4 times. Most dose it two times, I think. My guess would be probably be 4 with the way I metabolize meds. I guess for now I will go with 3 and see what happens. I also think if I dose V four times with K, one of the V doses would have to be at a separate time then a K dose. It's confusing with all the doses. Also my 1mg K pills and 10mg V pills are so close in color. I want to be very careful with my c/o. I really want it to work and c/o as much V as possible. If I can I would like to do a full c/o. I will cross over another 3mg tomorrow morn. I will then consider adjusting. You're suggesting 2mg every other day instead of 3mg every 3 days? I would be willing to try it. I wish I had smaller pills. I think I see my pdoc in two weeks. It is somewhere around then. Then he will give me smaller V pill amounts. I don't want to call him now because I want to know better how I will tolerate the V. When I see him I will have to say I did a direct c/o. I can't say I am still taking both. I wish he would be ok with it, but it is what is. I am not liking having to cut 1mg K pills. I will just be grateful I saved them or I would have to do a direct c/o.

I think that is a good idea. You mean just take my first dose if I wake up in the middle of the night? I am sure it would help me. Nine hours is a very long time for me! The hydroxyzine and Benadryl do help with that. I also take melatonin, but that just affects sleep and not anxiety. Last night I took my last dose at 11. I feel asleep around 1 and I woke up around 7:30. I just took my morning dose then. I didn't wake up in the night at all. That is the first time in two weeks. I still could really use 8-9 hours of sleep like I was having, but at least it is better. I am tired. My stomach seems to finally be calming down.

Three and six dose times go together and three might work and is the preferred number so I would definitely give three a try.

It is early still, but you seem to have no problem with swapping at a 1mg-a-day pace and you tolerated 3mg at once, so it is logical to think you'd be fine swapping 2mg every other day...1mg a day, 2mg every other day, 3mg every third day...they are all the same pace.  The fact that the 3mg swap has not affected you might mean you could do a full cross in 60 days or less.

I will do three doses. Tomorrow I swap my 2nd dose .15mg K for 3mg V. As long as that goes well, I will probably try every other day. Every day is too much. I just hope I can do a full cross period. 60 days or less would definitely be an added bonus! Thanks for all your help!

Gardener,

Thanks! I really hope so! I know you had some hard stuff going on. I think it was smart to stop the c/o then. That's great that you were able to remove a dose. I would love to remove a dose. I am cutting so many pills a day. If it helps, it is worth it. I definitely know what you mean about feeling your life revolves around dosing.

You have a good son! That is a very sensible way to turn 21. That is not what I was doing at 21. I, glad what you are going through can at least be a learning experience for them. I hope all is going with with your new therapist! If you get a chance I would love an update. I have therapy today and we are going to talk about some ACT (acceptance and commitment therapy) strategies. It seems to tie in nicely with DBT. We have been talking a lot about values, lately. That is mentioned a lot in DBT, as well.

I am glad you are not setting an alarm. When I saw 3am on your schedule I was a bit surprised. I hope your sleep is improving and you are doing well!

I have a workbook on ACT and like it better than DBT so far. They really do overlap quite a bit, it seems. I just can't find a therapist here who even knows about ACT.

Yes, the 3AM is not exactly correct. It's an estimate. A wild estimate! It's whenever I wake up. This morning I dosed at 5AM.

I'm not sure what SG is saying to you about how to dose in the night. Do you tend to wake up? If you are going to occasionally move your morning dose earlier, into the night, I hope you are not waking as early as I do. I wake up every night, as early as 1AM and as late as 5:30AM so I have one of my 5 doses planned for the night.

If I wake at 1AM, I don't take the dose. That's too early. I go back to sleep and wait for the next time I wake up, which will happen. If I'm already awake at 1AM, I know it's going to be a bad night and I'm going to be awake many times that night, so I will have other chances to get closer to my 3AM goal. Once in awhile I actually hit the goal.

I'm so glad your crossover is going well! I think you will be able to drop to dosing 5 times when you get more V in there. It really is nice to have fewer doses. I feel like my day is more normal now. :thumbsup:

What ACT workbook do you have? I want to get one. IMHO, DBT is far more helpful and has much more info and coping skills. Most DBT therapists, in my experience, know a lot about ACT and add it into DBT. Also they overlap. There was a DBT IOP program I was going to do in LA and one of the groups would have been ACT. It was just so expensive and I had already done months of residential treatment. I went home instead and did a DBT OP program here. Also CBT therapist usually are familiar with ACT. My therapist know is familiar with them all, but she has the most training in CBT. We didn't get to go over more ACT strategies today, but we will next week. I decided to see her two times next week. I have some issues going on with my father again. Also today we talked about my c/o. Did you stop meeting with the DBT therapist? I do not know of any ACT therapists. I hope things are going well with therapy!

I usually don't tend to wake up in the night. The last two weeks my stomach has been very bad. It keeps waking me up. It is getting better and hopefully will stop soon. Sleep really helps me. I am sorry you wake up every night. I hope it improves!

Thanks! I hope I can drop doses. I am getting way ahead of myself, but what I would love to happen is a complete c/o to V with 3 doses or at most 4. We will see. I hope you had a happy Halloween and sleep well!

Jeff,

That makes me so sad that you are still getting such little sleep. I think of you often and hope you are well. I can't imagine how hard that is. My heart goes out to you. Have you seen the new dr again? I hope he can help! I would love to see a dr like that. I need a new PCP. I really hope things get easier soon! Big hugs!

Three and six dose times go together and three might work and is the preferred number so I would definitely give three a try.

It is early still, but you seem to have no problem with swapping at a 1mg-a-day pace and you tolerated 3mg at once, so it is logical to think you'd be fine swapping 2mg every other day...1mg a day, 2mg every other day, 3mg every third day...they are all the same pace.  The fact that the 3mg swap has not affected you might mean you could do a full cross in 60 days or less.

I will do three doses. Tomorrow I swap my 2nd dose .15mg K for 3mg V. As long as that goes well, I will probably try every other day. Every day is too much. I just hope I can do a full cross period. 60 days or less would definitely be an added bonus! Thanks for all your help!

You took 3mg V and did not feel a thing.  I'd say that is a very good sign that you will tolerate 60mg V...or I guess you are actually crossing to 55mg.

I know using a scale has some drawbacks - namely the fluctuations by .001 or .002.  When I'm cutting by .001g how do I approach these irregularities?  Measuring these little devils makes me think I've not been consistent at all with my taper since June. 

I know using a scale has some drawbacks - namely the fluctuations by .001 or .002.  When I'm cutting by .001g how do I approach these irregularities?  Measuring these little devils makes me think I've not been consistent at all with my taper since June. 

You're operating at the limit of the scale.  .001g is the best the scale can do.  To get more accurate you'd either need to invest in a more accurate scale or switch to liquid.  Liquids are an easy and cheap way of getting outstanding accuracy.

You're operating at the limit of the scale.  .001g is the best the scale can do.  To get more accurate you'd either need to invest in a more accurate scale or switch to liquid. Liquids are an easy and cheap way of getting outstanding accuracy.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You're operating at the limit of the scale.  .001g is the best the scale can do.  To get more accurate you'd either need to invest in a more accurate scale or switch to liquid. Liquids are an easy and cheap way of getting outstanding accuracy.

I am currently at .054 grams per dose. iI put 2 pills in a baby food jar and crush them as fine as possible. i measure .054 grams in the tray that came with the scales. I put the measured amount in a small orange juice bottle and add about 4 TBLS of water. shake it vigorously, and then drink it. I have 4 bottles so I do a days worth in advance and keep it in the fridge. the next day I will measure out .053 grams and so on. I have had to up dose 2ce since I started but I will only up .002 grams and hold for a week. hope this helps.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What ACT workbook do you have? I want to get one.

My book is called The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety by Forsyth and Eiffert. It gives a lot of info and then has some exercises and some questions to consider. I think the questions part could be journaled to make it more effective. I've just scratched the surface of this and of the DBT. In fact, all I've done in DBT so far is intake-type appointments. I'm having trouble relating to my therapist because she is fresh out of school and only a year older than my daughter. I knew she was young, but didn't know how young. I think I want to ask to transfer to the therapist who is closer to my age, but she is hard to get into.

You took 3mg V and did not feel a thing.  I'd say that is a very good sign that you will tolerate 60mg V...or I guess you are actually crossing to 55mg.

I really really hope so! Yes, the equivalent is 55mg. I am just using Ashton's 3mg K for 60mg as a guideline because it is the closest to my dose. I took my 2nd dose at 10 where I removed .15mg K for 3mg V. So far, it is going well. My heart was racing a bit like 15 min ago, but it has stopped. The same thing happened last time. My heart racing is often a sign my body is wanting K. I think it is adjusting well. For my next cross do you think I should add it to the middle dose or add a little to the am and pm doses of V? I kind of want to add 2mg to the am and pm doses, so they will be 5mg each. I am getting sick of cutting the 10mg pills into 3mgs, but I will do what's best. The V pills crumble a lot.

People doing partial C/Os won't go through K acute wd when they are done with K and only have V, right? I thought that is what you told me and they therefore don't have to do a long hold. I'm tired and foggy, so I wanted to make sure I had it right. There is talk of this on KK.

Could someone do some math for me, please?

My total dose today is 25mg of L plus 7.66ml/mg of my 5% dilution of X.

I think 25mg L = .5mg of full strength X.

I am reducing by .32ml/mg of my 5% dilution every week.

How much full-strength X am I removing each week?

What is my monthly taper rate?

At this rate, how long will my taper take?

I see my psychiatrist in two weeks, and he is going to want to know this stuff.

Thanks.

I really really hope so! Yes, the equivalent is 55mg. I am just using Ashton's 3mg K for 60mg as a guideline because it is the closest to my dose. I took my 2nd dose at 10 where I removed .15mg K for 3mg V. So far, it is going well. My heart was racing a bit like 15 min ago, but it has stopped. The same thing happened last time. My heart racing is often a sign my body is wanting K. I think it is adjusting well. For my next cross do you think I should add it to the middle dose or add a little to the am and pm doses of V? I kind of want to add 2mg to the am and pm doses, so they will be 5mg each. I am getting sick of cutting the 10mg pills into 3mgs, but I will do what's best. The V pills crumble a lot.

People doing partial C/Os won't go through K acute wd when they are done with K and only have V, right? I thought that is what you told me and they therefore don't have to do a long hold. I'm tired and foggy, so I wanted to make sure I had it right. There is talk of this on KK.

Definitely the middle dose.  The other doses will be 5mg soon enough.

I don't think it works that way.  As long as there is benzo at the receptor the CNS is happy.  I don't think it knows any difference between K and V.

SG, I tried the liquid and it didn't go well - maybe it was the delivery method?  I don't want to risk those sx again, which is why I'm going the scale way.  If I cut by 5% my dose will be 121g and I can hold there for a couple weeks or so, I usually experience any sx within 10 days.  Did you taper with liquid?

Thanks.

Each ml of X dilution contains .05mg X so if you reduce by .32ml a week that is .016mg X a week and .069mg X a month.  The X will be gone in 167 days, then you will have 25mg L remaining.  Since it will be the end of your taper that could easily take a year or more.  I'd say you are looking at 18+ months.

SG, I tried the liquid and it didn't go well - maybe it was the delivery method?  I don't want to risk those sx again, which is why I'm going the scale way.  If I cut by 5% my dose will be 121g and I can hold there for a couple weeks or so, I usually experience any sx within 10 days.  Did you taper with liquid?

I did not use liquid until the end of my taper, not by choice really...I was on another forum and simply didn't know how important it was to cut small and be accurate.  It was kind of a backwards place.

The scale is good enough.  If you are going to cut 5% and hold a few weeks, why not cut .001g every few days instead?  I think it will be easier on you.

I'm just concerned  if I'm cutting .001g and the scale is fluctuating by .001 - .002.  Won't  that be confusing?

No, I don't think so.  The scale error is the scale error and is there no matter what.  Do your best to get the number right and you will benefit from dropping down a ramp instead of a bigger step drop.

I don't think it works that way.  As long as there is benzo at the receptor the CNS is happy.  I don't think it knows any difference between K and V.

I knew you were going to say that. I don't know why I asked  :laugh: It is clearly what makes the most sense. I am just being a baby because I am cutting all these pills and from bigger pill increments than I would prefer. My next swap, probably Tues, I will be cutting 9 pills a day  :( You are right they will be 5mg soon enough. If all is going well, I can probably call my pdoc in a couple weeks and ask for some smaller V pills. I'm also not sure what I should about removing the K. I guess start removing from other doses. Right now I am dosing K like this .5mg, .35mg, 41mg, .41mg, .41mg, .35mg and I am dosing 3mg V with the second and last dose. Then I will add V to 4th dose and swap out K. I feel completely fine. My heart only raced very briefly. I definitely do not think I will feel a difference. I even forgot about my 1:00 dose and didn't take it until 1:45. If things continue like this maybe I will add 3mg on Tuesday or maybe I should play it safe and add 2mg. I wish I could some sedation at night, if it would help with my sleep.

I remembered what you said right. That makes sense. There are several on KK who are about to end the K part of their taper and I didn't think they would have acute wd and have to do a long hold. Thanks for always being so helpful!!

What ACT workbook do you have? I want to get one.

My book is called The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety by Forsyth and Eiffert. It gives a lot of info and then has some exercises and some questions to consider. I think the questions part could be journaled to make it more effective. I've just scratched the surface of this and of the DBT. In fact, all I've done in DBT so far is intake-type appointments. I'm having trouble relating to my therapist because she is fresh out of school and only a year older than my daughter. I knew she was young, but didn't know how young. I think I want to ask to transfer to the therapist who is closer to my age, but she is hard to get into.

Sorry, I missed this post before. Thank you! I will look into the workbook. It sounds good. Did you ever end up getting the DBT one? How old is your therapist? I wouldn't dismiss just because of age. My therapist before this one was not that much older than me. She wasn't a specific type of therapist, but had the most training in DBT and she was amazing! It is always important to have a good therapeutic relationship. If you are doing DBT therapy it is different than it would be with your other therapist. It is not talk therapy. She would teaching you how to use and apply skills. Also tracking how you are doing through a DBT card. Also you figure out problem areas/behaviors and how to change them. She will also teach you about balancing acceptance and change etc. If the age is a problem or she is not the right fit then definitely look elsewhere. I hope you find someone soon!

I knew you were going to say that. I don't know why I asked  :laugh: It is clearly what makes the most sense. I am just being a baby because I am cutting all these pills and from bigger pill increments than I would prefer. My next swap, probably Tues, I will be cutting 9 pills a day  :( You are right they will be 5mg soon enough. If all is going well, I can probably call my pdoc in a couple weeks and ask for some smaller V pills. I'm also not sure what I should about removing the K. I guess start removing from other doses. Right now I am dosing K like this .5mg, .35mg, 41mg, .41mg, .41mg, .35mg and I am dosing 3mg V with the second and last dose. Then I will add V to 4th dose and swap out K. I feel completely fine. My heart only raced very briefly. I definitely do not think I will feel a difference. I even forgot about my 1:00 dose and didn't take it until 1:45. If things continue like this maybe I will add 3mg on Tuesday or maybe I should play it safe and add 2mg. I wish I could some sedation at night, if it would help with my sleep.

I remembered what you said right. That makes sense. There are several on KK who are about to end the K part of their taper and I didn't think they would have acute wd and have to do a long hold. Thanks for always being so helpful!!

If you cross fully you will only have three pills a day to cut.  That is something to look forward to.  And I am very encouraged that you forgot about a dose...a sure sign things are going good.

I'd space V by eight hours and space K by four hours.  Think of them as completely separate from each other....V doses on its own schedule and K on its own.  I'd work on the high .5mg K dose next, then bring the three .41mg doses down to near .35mg.

You could try adding 3mg on Tuesday.  You've tolerate 3mg/3 days extremely well so doing it a day sooner makes sense.  Hopefully the longer half life will help sleep.

Thanks.

Each ml of X dilution contains .05mg X so if you reduce by .32ml a week that is .016mg X a week and .069mg X a month.  The X will be gone in 167 days, then you will have 25mg L remaining.  Since it will be the end of your taper that could easily take a year or more.  I'd say you are looking at 18+ months.

Thanks. Did you re-figure my 7% for each month as I went down? I'm not sure how often I need to refigure the 7% when I am cutting daily.

Thanks. Did you re-figure my 7% for each month as I went down? I'm not sure how often I need to refigure the 7% when I am cutting daily.

No, I didn't get that detailed.  I just know 25mg L (which is 10mg V) usually takes a year or more for most and you are certainly not sprinting. :laugh:

As for the 7%, I'd stay with your cut if you feel okay, but use the monthly percentage to keep an eye on it.

I'm just concerned  if I'm cutting .001g and the scale is fluctuating by .001 - .002.  Won't  that be confusing?

No, I don't think so.  The scale error is the scale error and is there no matter what.  Do your best to get the number right and you will benefit from dropping down a ramp instead of a bigger step drop.

I'm starting to do a MT with a scale.  I was wondering the same thing about the weight fluctuation.  I kind of figure the same thing.  Better to be moving down in small increments.