Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

Can someone explain kindling further is kindling the act of stopping the benzo or starting it again. If your kindled and your on benzo then does kindling get worse and worse every day or is it when you stop again that the kindling gets worse my last detox was almost death and it's not that I'm doing worse right now than actually doing the detox in the past it's that I wasn't getting better after6 months off and akathisia got inhumane but now I'm extremely ill and the mental symptoms are getting worse and unbelievable but I'm almost positive that detox again will leave me in worse shape

builder what does  this mean  for me what does  it mean  by neuroadaptions and neurotoxicity. I am feeling  very kindled  at the  moment  like im in high gear and my brain is sizzling i want to get off the meds but i am severely  sensitized is this why im in such bad withdrawal  even though im on the pills the last couple days  i been  feeling  all over now my skin is  burning  and i feel like im in  acute is this cuz i took a phenobarbital  a couple  weeks  ago? Is it coming  out of my system?  I need  help  figuring out what to do please give me pros and cons im trying  to micro taper but you dont understand  the severity  of my symptoms  i was detoxed 6 times using phenobarbital  a year ago and i did actually  start to improve  in some areas but i feel  neurotoxicity  right now this is what is  scaring me if i cant handle  the symptoms  right now  then how will i handle a worse withdrawal  syndrome  after another  detox but i do feel like  i need detox im in super  akathisia and  sensitized  mode right now what can i do to fix this how did i go from  feeling  like that to feel like  this i was sick and in sheer terror now  i cant sit down  i feel like im in  acute i need to take  a phenobarbital  or something  jut to survive  right now i want to  go to detox  to get it all out but i am very very very mentally  unstable in pure agony someone  please  guide me to hope  i can not do this at home for much longer  but last time 6 months was really  extreme  how will kindling  affect  another detox  my symptoms  are unbearable  please hhelp 

"Kindling due to substance withdrawal, refers to the neurological condition which results from repeated withdrawal episodes from sedative-hypnotic drugs such as alcohol or benzodiazepines. Each withdrawal leads to more severe withdrawal symptoms than the previous withdrawal syndrome. Individuals who have had more withdrawal episodes are at an increased risk of very severe withdrawal symptoms, up to and including seizures. Withdrawal from GABAergic acting sedative-hypnotic drugs causes acute GABA-underactivity as well as glutamate overactivity which can lead to sensitization and hyper-excitability of the central nervous system, excito-neurotoxicity and increasingly profound neuroadaptions."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindling_%28sedative-hypnotic_withdrawal%29

Only at .92mg since September 1. Started at 1mg of K.  Crazy how such small cuts can be felt. My doctor told me yesterday that K is one of the worst benzos to quit. She is following my lead. I think she wants to learn from my experience.  She agrees that benzos in general are extremely hard to stop and some people are very sensitive to even slight changes in dose.  :(

Hang in there everyone. One day at a time.

Shaani

I'm like that, too, Shaani, but we will beat these things one tiny cut at a time.  :thumbsup:

I have a question for people who are tapering and take two doses per day. I started my liquid Valium taper with 2MG in the morning and 3MG at night. In slow increments I've worked the morning dose down to 1.1MG in the morning and 3MG in the evening. I'm starting to think that I should be taking away my 10% from that evening dose as I'm feeling more anxious in the morning. What's worked for other people to keep this in balance? I'm a little worried about whether it would be okay to do something like, say, balance things out at 2 and 2 when I get to 4MG. Thoughts? Experiences with this, pill or liquid?

SG,

I cut 2.5% again yesterday. Another cut that I did not and will not be feeling. I was think about cutting another 2.5% on Sat or Sun. Do you think that is a good idea? I will start my c/o either with my last dose of the day Tues or any time on Wed. I have to bring my car to the dealership and take care of a couple things first. Also my allergies are under control and My cold is gone. I am feeling good about starting the c/o.

XO Maya

SG,

I cut 2.5% again yesterday. Another cut that I did not and will not be feeling. I was think about cutting another 2.5% on Sat or Sun. Do you think that is a good idea? I will start my c/o either with my last dose of the day Tues or any time on Wed. I have to bring my car to the dealership and take care of a couple things first. Also my allergies are under control and My cold is gone. I am feeling good about starting the c/o.

XO Maya

It's so great that you can cut that much and not feel it.  What I would do is "normalize" your rate to a daily rate and pay attention to that even though you won't be cutting daily.  This gives you a parameter you can use to gauge things.  In other words you cut 2.5% and held for four days and felt good, so I would look at that as you are finding out you can process 2.5%/4=.625% per day.

I'd also suggest cutting smaller (big surprise :laugh: ) and holding shorter.  So for example, a 2% cut @.625% per day would be a three-day hold.  But I don't see a problem with what you plan to do - your body is telling you it's okay.

SG,

Thanks! I didn't hold for four days. I cut Sun and then yesterday, Wed. I am definitely not surprised by your suggestion :laugh: I am willing to try a smaller cut and hold. I also will try MTing when I am at a much lower dose. I think it will work better for me then. It just doesn't work for me on a higher dose. I will cut 2.5% Sat or Sun. I don't want to try something new right before the C/O. I can't cut during it at all? I know Ashton's schedule from 3mg of K to 60 of V she does do drops in doses certain weeks. That is also for a complete c/o which I am not sure I will be doing. The plan, you helped me so much on, was see how I feel at 1mg and go from there. I want to keep cutting K, but I know the interdose wd will get really bad again really soon. I have it dosing 6x a day. I know trying to add V is what I need to do. I am trying to focus on feeling well now and being more patient with the time the taper will take. Also not overthinking and obsessing. I am doing a lot better. I hope you have a good day!

XO Maya

SG,

Thanks! I didn't hold for four days. I cut Sun and then yesterday, Wed. I am definitely not surprised by your suggestion :laugh: I am willing to try a smaller cut and hold. I also will try MTing when I am at a much lower dose. I think it will work better for me then. It just doesn't work for me on a higher dose. I will cut 2.5% Sat or Sun. I don't want to try something new right before the C/O. I can't cut during it at all? I know Ashton's schedule from 3mg of K to 60 of V she does do drops in doses certain weeks. That is also for a complete c/o which I am not sure I will be doing. The plan, you helped me so much on, was see how I feel at 1mg and go from there. I want to keep cutting K, but I know the interdose wd will get really bad again really soon. I have it dosing 6x a day. I know trying to add V is what I need to do. I am trying to focus on feeling well now and being more patient with the time the taper will take. Also not overthinking and obsessing. I am doing a lot better. I hope you have a good day!

XO Maya

Yeah, I don't get why Ashton would cut during a cross over and am not willing to just trust that it is a good idea simply because she did it.  It makes no sense.  Maybe there is a logic to it, but I don't see it.  I wish she had explained why she thought it was okay.

So you cut and held in a three-day cycle...that's .833% a day.  I'd be surprised if you could keep that up as it is 25% a month, but if your body is telling you it can, then it can.

[74...]

SG,

XO Maya

Yeah, I don't get why Ashton would cut during a cross over and am not willing to just trust that it is a good idea simply because she did it.  It makes no sense.  Maybe there is a logic to it, but I don't see it.  I wish she had explained why she thought it was okay.

So you cut and held in a three-day cycle...that's .833% a day.  I'd be surprised if you could keep that up as it is 25% a month, but if your body is telling you it can, then it can.

SG,

To clarify, your suggesting that it is preferable to add V in first without cutting?  Was that your experience?

Thanks,

Marija

SG,

XO Maya

SG,

To clarify, your suggesting that it is preferable to add V in first without cutting?  Was that your experience?

Thanks,

Marija

Marga, my take on the Ashton c/o ws to replace the benzo with = amounts of V then taper !I did a partial c/o but my partial c/o was also a taper you can see what i did on my signiture !

SG,

Thanks,

Marija

On some of her tables Ashton begins cutting while the V is still being added.  I just don't see how this is a good idea.  In a cross over the V needs to come up and is short when first added.  This is the reason we hold when crossing - to let the V build.  Why would we cut when the V needs to build?  It seems counterproductive to me.

SG,

Thanks,

Marija

On some of her tables Ashton begins cutting while the V is still being added.  I just don't see how this is a good idea.  In a cross over the V needs to come up and is short when first added.  This is the reason we hold when crossing - to let the V build.  Why would we cut when the V needs to build?  It seems counterproductive to me.

SG, I did it the way i did because my Doc would not go along with the 1mg k =20 v so i cut as i switched to v and it`s rough like you say but alot of us high dose folks will not get handed high amounts of v that`s my story !

SG,

I am going to just go by what you figured out. I don't think it makes sense to cut while doing a c/o. I want to make sure I do the c/o right. I really need the longer half life of V. I want this to work so badly! I think she does it towards the end of taper because 1:20 for K and V is not the same for everyone and she is erring on the side of caution. So at the end she does 1:15. Only thing I can come up with. Others have said at the end they didn't need full amount. I think I might not because I will metabolize it fast, but not as fast as K because I will metabolize active metabolites normally. I will just see. Also I am not necessarily c/o full amount. I wish Ashton had explained. I also wish she had explained when she said some c/o from K couldn't tolerate V. Did you say c/o.25mg for 5mg first week? I thought so. I am a bit foggy. I know Ashton does.5mg K for 10mg V the first week and do the night dose. Her schedule is for someone dosing 3x not 6x. I am not sure how to do the dosing. Also I think you said to do two doses a week? Sorry, I am not remembering. Also it wasn't all worked out. I am so grateful for all your help!

I definitely think I can handle it and it will last. I have always been able to handle 5-6% a week. I wanted to do at least 10% like I had in the past. That's why I wanted to MT, to see if I could go faster. I now realize tapering isn't as easy as it was in the past. I was on 8mgs for years and I went from 8-6mg in two weeks with no sxs. I was on 6mg the vast majority of my time taking K. Which I realized today is 13 years not 12. I tapered 6-4mg in two months with very few sxs...a tiny bit of anxiety the day of and after cut. Last winter, I went to 4-3mg by cutting.5mg every two weeks. I could have gone faster. I went back to 4mg because I didn't know K was harming me then I had a little insomnia and thought going back up would help. So stupid. Now I know better. There are people who can go a lot faster, but they don't come to BB. There isn't much research, but from what I've read at least 30-50% if long term (one year or more) users have a hard time tapering.

Marija,

I hope you are doing better! I have been thinking of you and wishing that you are well. I will just be taking away K and adding V equivalent. Did you get email from 23andme that they will now be doing health reports in the US? We will get them by the end of the year. Sending you big hugs!

XO Maya

[74...]

SG,

I am going to just go by what you figured out. I don't think it makes sense to cut while doing a c/o. I want to make sure I do the c/o right. I really need the longer half life of V. I want this to work so badly! I think she does it towards the end of taper because 1:20 for K and V is not the same for everyone and she is erring on the side of caution. So at the end she does 1:15. Only thing I can come up with. Others have said at the end they didn't need full amount. I think I might not because I will metabolize it fast, but not as fast as K because I will metabolize active metabolites normally. I will just see. Also I am not necessarily c/o full amount. I wish Ashton had explained. I also wish she had explained when she said some c/o from K couldn't tolerate V. Did you say c/o.25mg for 5mg first week? I thought so. I am a bit foggy. I know Ashton does.5mg K for 10mg V the first week and do the night dose. Her schedule is for someone dosing 3x not 6x. I am not sure how to do the dosing. Also I think you said to do two doses a week? Sorry, I am not remembering. Also it wasn't all worked out. I am so grateful for all your help!

I definitely think I can handle it and it will last. I have always been able to handle 5-6% a week. I wanted to do at least 10% like I had in the past. That's why I wanted to MT, to see if I could go faster. I now realize tapering isn't as easy as it was in the past. I was on 8mgs for years and I went from 8-6mg in two weeks with no sxs. I was on 6mg the vast majority of my time taking K. Which I realized today is 13 years not 12. I tapered 6-4mg in two months with very few sxs...a tiny bit of anxiety the day of and after cut. Last winter, I went to 4-3mg by cutting.5mg every two weeks. I could have gone faster. I went back to 4mg because I didn't know K was harming me then I had a little insomnia and thought going back up would help. So stupid. Now I know better. There are people who can go a lot faster, but they don't come to BB. There isn't much research, but from what I've read at least 30-50% if long term (one year or more) users have a hard time tapering.

Marija,

I hope you are doing better! I have been thinking of you and wishing that you are well. I will just be taking away K and adding V equivalent. Did you get email from 23andme that they will now be doing health reports in the US? We will get them by the end of the year. Sending you big hugs!

XO Maya

SG,

Yes. I see your point and agree. Cutting while crossing simply was untenable for me.

Cando,

You are brave and undoubtedly have weathered some turbulence with your cross. Hope you are well. I'm following your progress.

Maya,

Thank you for thinking of me :). I have been locked out of my email for a few weeks, provider error, so did not read about 23andme - that's great news! 

I have more information to share with you after my recent ND visit regarding the 23andme.

Wonderful that your last cuts went without consequence. That's terrific!

Marija🌻

SG,

Marija,

XO Maya

Let's say a cross takes 40 days as an example.  You could do one swap of 100%, two swaps of 50%, three swaps of 33%, four swaps of 25%, and so on.  As we divide the cross into more and more pieces it gets easier.  Ashton basically stopped at six 17% swaps and said good enough.  But we don't have to stop there.  If the cross takes 40 days you could make 20 5% swaps or 40 2.5% daily swaps if you wanted and it would be smoother.

As for which dose to swap, I think it is best to add to all of them, not one at a time.  Ashton didn't do this, but I think she wanted to keep things very simple so she dumbed down a lot of things.  You use a scale so you are in a good position to increase all your doses at once or rotate through them one at a time.

I have a question for people who are tapering and take two doses per day. I started my liquid Valium taper with 2MG in the morning and 3MG at night. In slow increments I've worked the morning dose down to 1.1MG in the morning and 3MG in the evening. I'm starting to think that I should be taking away my 10% from that evening dose as I'm feeling more anxious in the morning. What's worked for other people to keep this in balance? I'm a little worried about whether it would be okay to do something like, say, balance things out at 2 and 2 when I get to 4MG. Thoughts? Experiences with this, pill or liquid?

Hi Stephen

I dosed twice a day and felt it better to keep the doses the same. The idea being serum levels will be more stable if all doses are identical. As always, you need to try things and see how they work for you.

Good luck.

Bart

Hi Stephen

I dosed twice a day and felt it better to keep the doses the same. The idea being serum levels will be more stable if all doses are identical. As always, you need to try things and see how they work for you.

Good luck.

Bart

What's the best way to get back in balance? I would like to be at a point where I was in balance. I've always taken slightly more at night, even going back to the days when I was on Klonopin. When I was on Klonopin for 10+ years I took 1MG in the morning and 2MG in the evening. I think because all of this started with insomnia. I'd like to get back into balance, but would it be as easy as going to 2 / 2 at some point in the near future? Or do I need to work the evening dose backwards towards the morning dose first?

One other question. Is there an appreciable difference between compounded liquid Valium and straight liquid Valium? I use a 1 MG / 1 ML solution from my pharmacy right now. I'm on the cusp of moving to a country that doesn't have this and instead can offer compounded liquid Valium. Will I notice much difference? It's a tough fight, as far as I can tell, to order in the 1/1 from the pharmacy from the US from here.

Hi friends, I have a question that I will post on the main thread but I also wanted to post it here to since this thread is the one I spend more time on. I know we have GABA receptors all over our bodies, mostly in the brain but they are also in multiple places. I am wondering about the gut, intestines to be exact. Has anybody ever experienced colitis or extreme intestinal cramping with diarrhea and blood? I'm sorry to be gross about this and prolly TMI. I have had three bouts of this months apart and had a diagnostic colonoscopy yesterday which was normal. I am suspecting it may have to do with tapering off Xanax. Any thoughts or experience to share? Again I apologize. thanks, Rose

Hi Stephen

Good luck.

Bart

What's the best way to get back in balance? I would like to be at a point where I was in balance. I've always taken slightly more at night, even going back to the days when I was on Klonopin. When I was on Klonopin for 10+ years I took 1MG in the morning and 2MG in the evening. I think because all of this started with insomnia. I'd like to get back into balance, but would it be as easy as going to 2 / 2 at some point in the near future? Or do I need to work the evening dose backwards towards the morning dose first?

One other question. Is there an appreciable difference between compounded liquid Valium and straight liquid Valium? I use a 1 MG / 1 ML solution from my pharmacy right now. I'm on the cusp of moving to a country that doesn't have this and instead can offer compounded liquid Valium. Will I notice much difference? It's a tough fight, as far as I can tell, to order in the 1/1 from the pharmacy from the US from here.

Personally, I would either taper the am dose UP while tapering the pm dose DOWN or just keep the am dose the same and taper only the pm dose until both doses are the same. Straight liquid Valium compared the compounded depend on the compounding pharmacy. You just have to try it and see. Different compounding pharmacies will compare differently.

Bart

Hi friends, I have a question that I will post on the main thread but I also wanted to post it here to since this thread is the one I spend more time on. I know we have GABA receptors all over our bodies, mostly in the brain but they are also in multiple places. I am wondering about the gut, intestines to be exact. Has anybody ever experienced colitis or extreme intestinal cramping with diarrhea and blood? I'm sorry to be gross about this and prolly TMI. I have had three bouts of this months apart and had a diagnostic colonoscopy yesterday which was normal. I am suspecting it may have to do with tapering off Xanax. Any thoughts or experience to share? Again I apologize. thanks, Rose

The gut is a high density GABA receptor region.

"GABA receptors for Benzodiazepines and Sleeping Pills are also located in the gut and depress gastrointestinal movement, which can cause constipation. But the continued use of medications that target GABA also increase the level of stress on the body. And in many ways, the connection between stress and the gut may be the most visible brain-gut connection.  Chronic stress can result in indigestion, ulcers and a host of uncomfortable symptoms, including colon spasms. This may explain why the gut naturally produces benzodiazepines, to keep the natural state of calm that is necessary for proper functioning."

https://www.pointofreturn.com/gut_health.html

"GABA receptors for Benzodiazepines and Sleeping Pills are also located in the gut and depress gastrointestinal movement, which can cause constipation. But the continued use of medications that target GABA also increase the level of stress on the body. And in many ways, the connection between stress and the gut may be the most visible brain-gut connection.  Chronic stress can result in indigestion, ulcers and a host of uncomfortable symptoms, including colon spasms. This may explain why the gut naturally produces benzodiazepines, to keep the natural state of calm that is necessary for proper functioning."

builder, just curious if you have any personal opinion about this company, point of return?

Marija,

I'm sorry you have been locked out of your emails. The same thing happened to me recently, very frustrating. 23andme will do helath reports with all new tests and they will give them to people who have already done the tests for free. They will be ready by the end if the year. PM me and let me know how the visit with ND went, when you get a chance. Thanks! The cuts have been good. I start my c/o next week though. I hope you are feeling well!

:smitten:

XO Maya

Let's say a cross takes 40 days as an example.  You could do one swap of 100%, two swaps of 50%, three swaps of 33%, four swaps of 25%, and so on.  As we divide the cross into more and more pieces it gets easier.  Ashton basically stopped at six 17% swaps and said good enough.  But we don't have to stop there.  If the cross takes 40 days you could make 20 5% swaps or 40 2.5% daily swaps if you wanted and it would be smoother.

As for which dose to swap, I think it is best to add to all of them, not one at a time.  Ashton didn't do this, but I think she wanted to keep things very simple so she dumbed down a lot of things.  You use a scale so you are in a good position to increase all your doses at once or rotate through them one at a time.

SG,

You think 1mg will take 40 days? If I end up crossing my whole dose would it take 3x as long? I am not willing to change my dose every day. I see where that makes sense, but my body does not respond well to daily changes. I would do 2x a week. 3x at the most if 2x went ok.

I dose K 6x. I don't think I would need to dose V that many times. I am hoping to be able to c/o at least the majority of my dose. I don't want to dose so much. Also my body gets confused if I change too many doses at once. I cut at most two doses at once now. I prefer one. It just works better for me. I try to do changes like evening doses, adding doses etc. gradually because it works better for me. I will start the c/o Wed. Should I maybe change one or two doses Wed and then do another change Sat? I am feeling confused by the c/o. I have so many doses. I hate it! I know I need to try it, but I am nervous. I will cut 2.5% tomorrow. I know that will go fine. That will put my dose at like 2.75mg.  I am really hoping the c/o works for me. I don't have any plans or appts I can't cancel in the near future. I will do the c/o in the way that is best. Thanks so much! I would be a complete wreck without you!

XO Maya

builder, just curious if you have any personal opinion about this company, point of return?

I am very skeptical about any of these "recovery/rehab/detox centers.  I have zero knowledge about pointofreturn, but their  website suggests to ME that its a scam.

I was actually reluctant to post the above quote specifically because of the source.  But the presentation of the gut/GABA relationship in that article was concise, and mirrors much other research on that topic.  So in spite of the questionable source, I believe the information to be correct.

I am very skeptical about any of these "recovery/rehab/detox centers.  I have zero knowledge about pointofreturn, but their  website suggests to ME that its a scam.

I was actually reluctant to post the above quote specifically because of the source.  But the presentation of the gut/GABA relationship in that article was concise, and mirrors much other research on that topic.  So in spite of the questionable source, I believe the information to be correct.

Builder, thanks for the info- I went to the site and read more info about the relationship. Rose