Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

Hello BB's

I am just wondering if any of you have experienced this: nights that you feel heat and sweating all night long. I have my fan on me, but it can't even overpower the heat until it starts subsiding. I just get slammed every couple minutes with increased body temperature then horrible sweating, even between my fingers. This goes on for hours until the early morning hours like 5 or 6am when things calm down enough to go to sleep. It's exhausting. This doesn't happen every night but every three or four days and during the day, but not as often. And I feel it coming on just before my body temp starts going up, I start feeling bad. My husband can put his hand on me and just feel the radiating heat. Is my hypothalamus all screwed up and not be able to regulate my temp? Does anyone know what causes this? This is depressing and discouraging and downright miserable. I just hope I will heal from this. Thanks for the ears and empathy, Rose :(

Oh Moodle, Thank-you so much for the info and the link, and no I had never read it. It was extremely informative. I am relieved to know I am not the only one who has experienced this. I couldn't stress how miserable and sick feeling those hot flashes/sweats made me feel, but I don't have to because you and others know exactly what I'm talking about. I am so glad to know "this to shall pass", it gives me HOPE, which is SO important on this journey. I really liked how Parker says, paraphrasing, "the W/D symptoms are evidence of healing, and if we didn't feel the symptoms healing would not be taking place". That made me feel better too, because it means we are not suffering for nothing. I cannot believe how messed up our body systems get from using benzodiazapines.

And congrats again on your success, and thanks for all the help and hope you give people. :mybuddy:

Hi Rose,

Yes, I've had that happen to me, too.

I'd be so hot that i couldnt  sleep, but it's also happened to me during the day where I felt like I had a fever. I did have some raised body temperatures, it wasn't just the feeling of it.

But it could be gone in an hour . Or linger. To disappear again out of nowhere.

Some people get it the other way around and freeze up.

I just wanted to let you know that it's gone, for me. And I'm sure this is one of those weird withdrawal symptoms that will just disappear again.

I k ow of two people here that have had the same and it hasn't come back for them either.

Parker wrote something about heat in the Post " Whats  happening in your brain" c I'm pretty sure you've read it?

I copied dome of it anyways. Doesn't explain why exactly it happens , but ok.... It's helpful maybe..

"BRAIN STRUCTURES

- amygdala  - This is the FEAR center in the brain. It's a tiny part in the middle of your brain. Fear is protective and it's GREAT if you need to assess something that is dangerous and to ACT  - like if a rabid dog were chasing you. - but it's hard in recoveyr when it's all you feel for months! But the FEAR is not truly in your MIND. It's in your BRAIN.  There is too much glutamate acting here in the amygdala and not enough GABA. So the nerves are firing off in the fear center when nothing scary is really there in your environment.  It is normal for that to happen given the circumstance physiologically. But it feels awful, doesn't it?  I know.  But it's just a brain structure. This can account for fear, agoraphobia, fear of water, fear of anything.  It's not that you're really "scared" of the moon - it's that you're in almost constant fear because this brain structure is healing. The glutamate is pruning back. The GABA receptors are opening back up.  It may or may not continue for awhile. It will abate. Then come back. But eventually, the brain will get it right.  :)

-Hippocampus - This is the "memory" center of the brain. It ties in old memories to emotions.  The same thing is happening here that is happening in the amygdala with GABA and Glutamate. So - voila. You get intrusive memories from ALL times in your life.  It's wild and wicked and wooly. But it can't hurt you. And if you can learn to visualize this as what is happening - then you can learn to be objective and realize it's normal.  And like the amygdala - it will come and go and frustrate you, but it will go away when the physiology is restored.

Hypothalamus This is the structure that is responsible for regulating body temperature. In early withdrawal, my body temperature would drop to 96 degrees in waves! Then 3 hours later, it would return to normal. I'd literally freeze in terror in bed for hours.  I am sure it is more complicated that JUST the hypothalamus, but I could picture this part of my brain retuning and restructuring, and it was less scary that way.

The following structures in the brain are part of the "gray matter" or the "cortex "and what we consider to be the "higher brain"- the thinking and processing parts"

The links to the whole,post is right there

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=66397.0

Sorry you're dealing with this. It's a really icky feeling.

As with all the other xs, it will go away in time .... :smitten:

Hello BB's

I am just wondering if any of you have experienced this: nights that you feel heat and sweating all night long. I have my fan on me, but it can't even overpower the heat until it starts subsiding. I just get slammed every couple minutes with increased body temperature then horrible sweating, even between my fingers. This goes on for hours until the early morning hours like 5 or 6am when things calm down enough to go to sleep. It's exhausting. This doesn't happen every night but every three or four days and during the day, but not as often. And I feel it coming on just before my body temp starts going up, I start feeling bad. My husband can put his hand on me and just feel the radiating heat. Is my hypothalamus all screwed up and not be able to regulate my temp? Does anyone know what causes this? This is depressing and discouraging and downright miserable. I just hope I will heal from this. Thanks for the ears and empathy, Rose :(

Oh Moodle, Thank-you so much for the info and the link, and no I had never read it. It was extremely informative. I am relieved to know I am not the only one who has experienced this. I couldn't stress how miserable and sick feeling those hot flashes/sweats made me feel, but I don't have to because you and others know exactly what I'm talking about. I am so glad to know "this to shall pass", it gives me HOPE, which is SO important on this journey. I really liked how Parker says, paraphrasing, "the W/D symptoms are evidence of healing, and if we didn't feel the symptoms healing would not be taking place". That made me feel better too, because it means we are not suffering for nothing. I cannot believe how messed up our body systems get from using benzodiazapines.

And congrats again on your success, and thanks for all the help and hope you give people. :mybuddy:

Hi Rose,

I'd be so hot that i couldnt  sleep, but it's also happened to me during the day where I felt like I had a fever. I did have some raised body temperatures, it wasn't just the feeling of it.

I just wanted to let you know that it's gone, for me. And I'm sure this is one of those weird withdrawal symptoms that will just disappear again.

I k ow of two people here that have had the same and it hasn't come back for them either.

Parker wrote something about heat in the Post " Whats  happening in your brain" c I'm pretty sure you've read it?

I copied dome of it anyways. Doesn't explain why exactly it happens , but ok.... It's helpful maybe..

"BRAIN STRUCTURES

- amygdala  - This is the FEAR center in the brain. It's a tiny part in the middle of your brain. Fear is protective and it's GREAT if you need to assess something that is dangerous and to ACT  - like if a rabid dog were chasing you. - but it's hard in recoveyr when it's all you feel for months! But the FEAR is not truly in your MIND. It's in your BRAIN.  There is too much glutamate acting here in the amygdala and not enough GABA. So the nerves are firing off in the fear center when nothing scary is really there in your environment.  It is normal for that to happen given the circumstance physiologically. But it feels awful, doesn't it?  I know.  But it's just a brain structure. This can account for fear, agoraphobia, fear of water, fear of anything.  It's not that you're really "scared" of the moon - it's that you're in almost constant fear because this brain structure is healing. The glutamate is pruning back. The GABA receptors are opening back up.  It may or may not continue for awhile. It will abate. Then come back. But eventually, the brain will get it right.  :)

-Hippocampus - This is the "memory" center of the brain. It ties in old memories to emotions.  The same thing is happening here that is happening in the amygdala with GABA and Glutamate. So - voila. You get intrusive memories from ALL times in your life.  It's wild and wicked and wooly. But it can't hurt you. And if you can learn to visualize this as what is happening - then you can learn to be objective and realize it's normal.  And like the amygdala - it will come and go and frustrate you, but it will go away when the physiology is restored.

Hypothalamus This is the structure that is responsible for regulating body temperature. In early withdrawal, my body temperature would drop to 96 degrees in waves! Then 3 hours later, it would return to normal. I'd literally freeze in terror in bed for hours.  I am sure it is more complicated that JUST the hypothalamus, but I could picture this part of my brain retuning and restructuring, and it was less scary that way.

The following structures in the brain are part of the "gray matter" or the "cortex "and what we consider to be the "higher brain"- the thinking and processing parts"

It's wlsys good to know other have the exact same thing, to a tee, many times.

Makes us a bit more secure in knowing it'll pass and that it's not us, right ?

Parker's post has helped so many. I'm very grateful for her posts.

She suffered a great deal and to this day keeps us informed on how she is improving .

For me, this was very comforting too: to know that all this is..is our brains actually don't exactly what they are supposed to be doing. That's what we feel: getting back to an equilibrium, although not in a linear manner.

Thank you ! It's only been a week. Can't say my body feels pleasant but my head feels very much different.  I am very thankful for that.

:smitten:

[9d...]

Hello BB's

Hi Rose,

"BRAIN STRUCTURES

Hi Rose,

Wanted to share that I experience this as well. You are not alone.

Mine are nightly as well, but will change periodically from radiating heat and tingling that strikes my chest, arms, hands and back of neck & head first then radiates through my lower back, legs and feet. This will typically strike anywhere between 3:30-5:00 am, increasing in frequency after a cut.

My PT today explained (over simplified but helpful) how the CNS is rapidly misfiring, over sending messages to the brain causing misinterpretation. Finding a way to reduce signaling is key. She wasn't able to help with the biochemistry of it but strongly encouraged cranio-sacral massage, TENS and daily exercise (however limited) to improve and alter the signaling pattern to the brain. In particular, she promoted water therapy. I haven't tried that yet, but will post the results.

Your almost done Rose.  Soon, this will all be behind you. 💗

Marija

Hello BB's

Hi Rose,

"BRAIN STRUCTURES

Hi Rose,

Mine are nightly as well, but will change periodically from radiating heat and tingling that strikes my chest, arms, hands and back of neck & head first then radiates through my lower back, legs and feet. This will typically strike anywhere between 3:30-5:00 am, increasing in frequency after a cut.

My PT today explained (over simplified but helpful) how the CNS is rapidly misfiring, over sending messages to the brain causing misinterpretation. Finding a way to reduce signaling is key. She wasn't able to help with the biochemistry of it but strongly encouraged cranio-sacral massage, TENS and daily exercise (however limited) to improve and alter the signaling pattern to the brain. In particular, she promoted water therapy. I haven't tried that yet, but will post the results.

Your almost done Rose.  Soon, this will all be behind you.

Marija

Marija, Jeff,

OK I did some research and it appears that when the heat and sweating start it's a glutamate storm. I read that taking Ibuprofen calms it all down. Well I took prescription Ibuprofen, 800mg, and OMG it worked! It knocked the sweating and hot feeling right out, and I slept all night without the fan on. No sweating when I went to sleep, or when I woke up. ;D Will try to find the link and post it.

[9d...]

Hello BB's

Hi Rose,

"BRAIN STRUCTURES

Hi Rose,

Marija

Marija, Jeff,

OK I did some research and it appears that when the heat and sweating start it's a glutamate storm. I read that taking Ibuprofen calms it all down. Well I took prescription Ibuprofen, 800mg, and OMG it worked! It knocked the sweating and hot feeling right out, and I slept all night without the fan on. No sweating when I went to sleep, or when I woke up. ;D Will try to find the link and post it.

[/quote)

Yes, excess glutamate is a monster. Mine was very high when tested.

Glad the Ibuprofen worked.

I would be interested in reading the link.

Marija.

Hello BB's

Hi Rose,

"BRAIN STRUCTURES

Man, don't even get me started. I'm right there with ya, Rose!!! Absolutely miserable. I'm still praying for you though  :)

Jeff

Hello BB's

Hi Rose,

"BRAIN STRUCTURES

Hi Rose,

Marija

Marija, Jeff,

I tried the Ibuprofen thing too, Rose, but not much help. Actually, I got a little more "relief" using Acetaminophen, but I have to alternate...I can't use just one for a few nights...gotta change back and forth. I never really get to any kind of deep sleep, and then around 3am or so is when I get the "adrenal blast". I wake up in a suffocating panic and things stay that way for hours. I usually start to calm down a little around noon. It's NUTS! I'm still experimenting like crazy, but slowly. Last night I took 600mg of PS about an hour after the Acetaminophen. That helped lower the intensity of the blast.

I'm truly happy that you found relief!!! Enjoy!!

Jeff

Deepcanyon, I am a real stickler when it comes to expiration dates. Most pharmacies put a year exp date on RX for their convenience.  So I always ask them to write the real date on them.  Those dates are always at least 2 or 3 years out.  I had one doc tell me that most drugs are good 5 years after the stamped exp date.  He said that if they have crumbled or smell funny then of course toss them.  This is just for your general knowledge about how the system works, not a specific answer to your question. Oh, and another thing you can do (this works well in mail order) is gently pull the wrapper off the container and you will see the real expiration stamped on the container.  Sorry I couldn't help out with your specific questions.  Cross

Jeff, could you please explain when you get a chance what is PS? You mentioned that it helped you with the adrenaline blasts. I'm also getting blasted every morning around 4 and 5am and it continues until around noon. I also have those horrible drenching sweats that others suffer from night and day.

Hi All,

I want to share with you all that I just finished my taper and my victory post is here http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=143216.0.  I want to thank those of you in this support group for your support.  I don't post often here but do read every day.  This is a very positive group and I hope my success is encouraging for those of you still in different phases of withdrawal.  There is an end.  Every day goes by and eventually you are there.  I wish you all the best and will lend my support when I can.

Regards,

Ben

[9d...]

Hi All,

I want to share with you all that I just finished my taper and my victory post is here http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=143216.0.  I want to thank those of you in this support group for your support.  I don't post often here but do read every day.  This is a very positive group and I hope my success is encouraging for those of you still in different phases of withdrawal.  There is an end.  Every day goes by and eventually you are there.  I wish you all the best and will lend my support when I can.

Regards,

Ben

Congratulations Ben!!!!

Freedom Reigns!!!

Much healing and happiness to you.

Keep us posted on your continued recovery.

Marija

I can't do it I can't taper I'm so messed up I am getting worse and worse I'm at my end I just don't know where to go I can't mt I'm not stable it's not the principal of micro tapering it's that I can't handle these symptoms long enough to do that it's building and building my benzo doctor been using Ashton manual for 25 years and he says waves are internet stigmata and he wanted to try to stabilize me on lamictal I tried it and I'm a mess but I was a mess before I tried it. He wants to try a low dose of phenonlbarbital which I did a two months taper from after my last ct an about 2 months off is when things started to get really really bad he says I need a 90 day inpatient detox which I would do but it's 90 thousand dollars. I can't afford that why is everyone on here having an easier time.

I know everyone is suffering but I have been like this since I reinstated I'm on methadone too and my hepatitis c I can't handle this anymore please help there's no help here the mental hospital will not help with addictive meds the simply ct you. I been taking a stomach pill once in a while that makes the methadone stronger and when I do that it help until later then I get super super depression maybe I'm in methadone withdrawal also

Will phenonlbarbital taken once in a while or every few days make things worse.

Hip Hop:  I am so sorry to read about your problems. I don't know if many of us can help you given that you seem to be having interactions with your methadone plus your hepatitis C.  If you can't handle a taper now that is fine do it later on but in the interim it sounds like even on the drugs you were not feeling good at all. If this is true, then you must try to do something else,  so at this point I would listen to your doctor since right now nothing else is working for you.  I doubt many of us have 90,000.00 for inpatient detox but hopefully with the help of your doctor he can mimic a detox at home for you, why don't you ask him about this.

I also think you must try to go to some support groups even if they are not relevant to benzos. Also look for some other methods to help you deal with your pain.  I know others here are using acupuncture and believe it helps them - there are clinics that provide low cost services so you may want to look into this as well.  I think NYC Wave rider has some info on them depending on where you live - obviously from her name you know what area she is in.

I think that though you are in both mental and physical torment right now you must tell yourself that you can do this not that you can't.  I have laid on the floor crying but said to the universe I can do this, I can, I can and though at the moment it doesn't help in the long run it does. Bliss Johns has some you tubes on positive thinking and yes as silly as it sounds it does help.  Knowing that others have been where you are and have gotten through this is also something to keep in mind.  So when it is  your darkest day, know that the light will come and you will be able to do this minute by minute, hour by hour and day by day until one day this will be behind you and just a horrible, bad dream. :smitten:

I am tapering Ativan, but have been having a lot of trouble, feeling horrible, and have tapered down from 2 1/2mg to 3/4 mg by dry cutting and holding.  I did this with 1/4 cuts off a half  a mg  pill.  the last two cuts I made were 1/8th with 3 week hold in between. And still really severe withdrawal symptoms.  I have been reading on here about micro  tapering with dry cuts daily?  Is this possible?  I really don't understand the concept of tolerance withdrawal, could that be something I am experiencing, and if so, could I still do the Micro-tapering? Or would it be better for me to do liquid?  I'm just so confused right now....

Hey Stella,

Trying to determine where you are at milligram-wise in your signature. Please give your amounts in decimal as opposed to fractions. It will be much clearer to get a quick read.  ;)

You are at .75 mg now? If you are still using 1 mg pills, and your last cuts were .125 mg, then was 20% and 25% respectively. That's harsh. If you kept up the same .125 mg cut you would be increasing your percentage into a really difficult percentage range. (percentagecalculator.net can help you estimate this.) I can understand why you felt so bad, having done big cuts initially before micro tapering. An example of a reasonable cut rate that attempts to minimize symptoms is in range of 5-10% every 10-14 days. But you may benefit from micro tapering from this dose. Decision is, which method might you be most comfortable with—liquid titration or using a scale. Both work. I hope other folks will jump in with some suggestions, particularly to help you estimate if EDIT: you started in tolerance.

Best, Bennie

Hi All,

Regards,

Ben

Congratulations Ben!!!!

Freedom Reigns!!!

Much healing and happiness to you.

Keep us posted on your continued recovery.

Marija

Thanks Marija and good luck with your continued journey.

Ben

Jeff, could you please explain when you get a chance what is PS? You mentioned that it helped you with the adrenaline blasts. I'm also getting blasted every morning around 4 and 5am and it continues until around noon. I also have those horrible drenching sweats that others suffer from night and day.

You're my hero, L!! You're at .45mg of K??? I can't even imagine being on that small of a dose. Bless your heart!! I can't cut at all due to the lack of sleep which is mainly from the hot, killer adrenal blasts at night and the overall anxiety. But when I DO get a little break, it's because the PS helps out. I learned about it from a person who's a Certified Nutritionist and a Naturopath doc who specializes in anxiety. PS is Phosphatidylserine. She said it usually takes about 300-800mg at night before bedtime. It helps lower cortisol levels, so she uses it with her patients to give them some relief until she can find the root cause of the problem. Obviously, being a naturopath, she believes in taking the functional med approach to situations to really get down to the root of the problem and then correct the whole problem, and then have the person quit taking the PS. My adrenal glands are so out of whack (she had me do a 6 panel saliva test), so I have to take closer to the 800mg of PS at night. I don't take it every night because the body figures it out and then it doesn't work as well. As you know, the night time sweats and hot flashes are brutal. Ibuprofen or Acetamenaphen (used alternately) can help a lot of people with the hot flashes and sweats. If you do try the PS, make SURE you get some that doesn't have any soy in it. The Naturopath has me take Jarrow Formulas that has a blue and gold label, and on the label it says "Non-GMO" and "Soy-Free". Maybe this will take you to it:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013OXA90?keywords=jarrow%20formulas%20ps-100&qid=1444435724&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Take care!

Jeff

Hi All,

Regards,

Ben

That's awesome, Ben!!! Way to knock it out of the park. Enjoy your benzo-free life!!!!!!!!!! You deserve it....and MORE.

Jeff

I can't do it I can't taper I'm so messed up I am getting worse and worse I'm at my end I just don't know where to go I can't mt I'm not stable it's not the principal of micro tapering it's that I can't handle these symptoms long enough to do that it's building and building my benzo doctor been using Ashton manual for 25 years and he says waves are internet stigmata and he wanted to try to stabilize me on lamictal I tried it and I'm a mess but I was a mess before I tried it. He wants to try a low dose of phenonlbarbital which I did a two months taper from after my last ct an about 2 months off is when things started to get really really bad he says I need a 90 day inpatient detox which I would do but it's 90 thousand dollars. I can't afford that why is everyone on here having an easier time.

I know everyone is suffering but I have been like this since I reinstated I'm on methadone too and my hepatitis c I can't handle this anymore please help there's no help here the mental hospital will not help with addictive meds the simply ct you. I been taking a stomach pill once in a while that makes the methadone stronger and when I do that it help until later then I get super super depression maybe I'm in methadone withdrawal also

Will phenonlbarbital taken once in a while or every few days make things worse.

Hip, I'm no help to you, but man, it seems like a different "benzo doc" would be in order. I don't think the answer is to add more meds to the mix (Lamictal). He may have been using the Ashton Manual for 25 yrs, but it sounds like he/she's missing the boat somewhere along the line. And, I know about the ct thing at detox units. I talked to a bunch of them when I was going crazy trying to find ANYBODY who'd write my clonazepam scripts. They all tried to ct me and put me in a detox unit. Not the answer! And for what it's worth, this isn't an easy time in any sense of the word for me. I've lost my career and any real sense of being able to function in the world right now, but we both HAVE to use our heads, follow our hearts, get good reliable guidance, and take it one hour at a time. Positive self-talk and being in the company of encouraging and uplifting friends/family are vital. Your niche is out there somewhere!! Keep fighting!! Don't give in, and don't let this drug situation control every ounce of your being. Try to find some sense of normalcy in your life. Yes, it's there somewhere!!

Hang tight.

Jeff

I am tapering Ativan, but have been having a lot of trouble, feeling horrible, and have tapered down from 2 1/2mg to 3/4 mg by dry cutting and holding.  I did this with 1/4 cuts off a half  a mg  pill. the last two cuts I made were 1/8th with 3 week hold in between. And still really severe withdrawal symptoms.  I have been reading on here about micro  tapering with dry cuts daily?  Is this possible? I really don't understand the concept of tolerance withdrawal, could that be something I am experiencing, and if so, could I still do the Micro-tapering? Or would it be better for me to do liquid?  I'm just so confused right now....

Tolerance withdrawal is the emergence of withdrawal sxs while on a steady dose of benzo. 

Withdrawal sxs experienced while tapering are just that...plain ol' withdrawal. 

Yes, liquid would be much easier to microtaper small doses.

I don't get on the forum as much but I hope to help more this winter when I finsih my taper.

A few notes. Tolerance withdrawal is the worst but I have become used to it.

Dealing with other health issues is so the worst but I have made it through. I am finally more accepting of what my body needs, it has been quite a journey and you really have to be ready to maybe be worse before better. I was a year ago, I had so many emotions bytes to fight. The physical symptoms were kind of a blessing, my bottom, my chance to finally deal with everything slowly.

Hard cuts were the worst. I m so grateful that I finally got the hang of the micro cuts. I m not symptom free but I can deal with it to this slow pace.

If anyone wants more detail I have lot logged on my progress log.

So excited for Ben and cheering the rest of you on!!!

I am tapering Ativan, but have been having a lot of trouble, feeling horrible, and have tapered down from 2 1/2mg to 3/4 mg by dry cutting and holding.  I did this with 1/4 cuts off a half  a mg  pill. the last two cuts I made were 1/8th with 3 week hold in between. And still really severe withdrawal symptoms.  I have been reading on here about micro  tapering with dry cuts daily?  Is this possible? I really don't understand the concept of tolerance withdrawal, could that be something I am experiencing, and if so, could I still do the Micro-tapering? Or would it be better for me to do liquid?  I'm just so confused right now....

Tolerance withdrawal is the emergence of withdrawal sxs while on a steady dose of benzo. 

Withdrawal sxs experienced while tapering are just that...plain ol' withdrawal. 

Yes, liquid would be much easier to microtaper small doses.

Thanks so much for your reply I guess I will have to see if my doc will help me get the liquid....

Stella,

You don't need your doc to get you liquid. You dissolve Benzo in milk for titration. Someone here can help you set up a taper plan.

:thumbsup:

Bennie

Hi All,

Regards,

Ben

Congrats Ben!!!  You had a great steady taper, so glad you are finished.  Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing post taper.

Stay strong!

sharkey