Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

I am DONE!!!!!!!

Geez, it's surreal, my friends...

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=134084.msg1918974#msg1918974

Love you all!!!

Hang in there everyone. This day will come for all of us.

I'm not there yet. But D.O.N.E

Moodle!!!!!  Congratz!!!!!  I'm so happy for you!  What a ride eh??

Stay strong!!!!

Sharkey

You can say that again!

Crazy ride.

I've jumped off the benzo train but I'm still a little dazed... :sick:

But hey... I do know LOTS of healing has happened over the last year already.

:smitten:

Did you mean add a nighttime dose of .025g?  You could try that.  The thing is updosing does not always work so it may or may not pay off.

And normally I would say 10% a month is fine, but you just got done handling 56% pretty well.  So, although 10% would be fine, you can probably handle more than that.

Thanks so much for your help. I do think you're right about the interdose withdrawal.

My question now is:

If I do what I say and take a step back and take .092g in the morning and .025g at night, once I stabilize, which dose do I cut from? Alternate cuts between morning and nighttime so am taking 2 doses until the end of my taper and thus eliminating (or at least lowering to the extent it can be lowered) the inter dose withdrawal? Since one is a smaller dose than the other, how would you handle that?

My opinion is that keeping the blood levels even overrides the idea that you should dose big in the morning (to curb higher morning symptoms) or big at night (to help sleep).  I just think it is more important to send a consistent message to the brain 24/7 that upregulation is needed.  If one dose is way higher for part of the day the brain might get the message that things are okay and updosing is not needed.  After all, having a benzo shortage is the only way the body knows it has work to do.  The shortage is what makes it respond.  IDK, just my opinion.  A nice even quiet blood level with no ripples on it sends a consistent message.

But if you take .092g AM and .025g PM I'd bring the .092g down until you got to .025g, then bring them both down together from there.  This way you will be tapering yourself into more and more even blood levels.

SG,

The up dose isn't really helping much. It's been 4 days. I didn't know what to expect of course and as you said up dosing doesn't always help... But I took the chance that it might help. Regardless, I WILL still stabilize eventually right? Regardless of my up dose not necessarily "helping" me to feel better?

I just need the reassurance that I'll start to stabilize again, even if it might take a week or two.

Thanks again for all your kind help.

HM

Did you mean add a nighttime dose of .025g?  You could try that.  The thing is updosing does not always work so it may or may not pay off.

And normally I would say 10% a month is fine, but you just got done handling 56% pretty well.  So, although 10% would be fine, you can probably handle more than that.

Thanks so much for your help. I do think you're right about the interdose withdrawal.

My question now is:

If I do what I say and take a step back and take .092g in the morning and .025g at night, once I stabilize, which dose do I cut from? Alternate cuts between morning and nighttime so am taking 2 doses until the end of my taper and thus eliminating (or at least lowering to the extent it can be lowered) the inter dose withdrawal? Since one is a smaller dose than the other, how would you handle that?

My opinion is that keeping the blood levels even overrides the idea that you should dose big in the morning (to curb higher morning symptoms) or big at night (to help sleep).  I just think it is more important to send a consistent message to the brain 24/7 that upregulation is needed.  If one dose is way higher for part of the day the brain might get the message that things are okay and updosing is not needed.  After all, having a benzo shortage is the only way the body knows it has work to do.  The shortage is what makes it respond.  IDK, just my opinion.  A nice even quiet blood level with no ripples on it sends a consistent message.

But if you take .092g AM and .025g PM I'd bring the .092g down until you got to .025g, then bring them both down together from there.  This way you will be tapering yourself into more and more even blood levels.

SG,

The up dose isn't really helping much. It's been 4 days. I didn't know what to expect of course and as you said up dosing doesn't always help... But I took the chance that it might help. Regardless, I WILL still stabilize eventually right? Regardless of my up dose not necessarily "helping" me to feel better?

I just need the reassurance that I'll start to stabilize again, even if it might take a week or two.

HM

Hopeful, I don't see what med you're tapering, but I'll share that what happened when I cut my X too fast and hit a wall. I also up-dosed only slightly to try to get back to where I could function. It took quite awhile to get my feet back under me, more than a few days days, maybe a week. Then I was functioning but became agoraphobic. I decided I couldn't be a mom and be so anxious all the time, so I did a partial cross to L. That took about a month. Now I am now holding the L and doing the world's slowest taper of X. I have a young-adult son on the autism spectrum living with me, so I have to be functioning very well to cope with that. The whole process of up-dosing, holding the X until I could function again, partial cross, and re-start X taper took about 6-8 weeks. But now I feel like I have my feet back under me and can deal with stressors without completely falling apart.

I am micro-tapering 5%/month now. After a few weeks, I intend to experiment with slowly increasing the rate. Very slowly. I seem to be at a place where my brain does not want to let go of the drug, so I am being very careful. After having that experience of hitting the wall, I don't know if I'm just paranoid or if my brain is just mad at me, but I will be slow and careful about any changes from now on.

Hang in there. Things will get better. It may take more time. It may take some other adjustments, including reducing life stressors in any way possible. I thought I was stuck and would never function again, but I finally figured out a way to keep going and be OK. You will, too.

Gard :smitten:

SG,

HM

When you were last at this dose, did you feel good?

Benzos can be real bastards this way.  You would think an updose would solve the problem, but it does not always work.  I think you will stabilize, but it might take time.  I'd sit tight until you feel ready to taper.  You'll come around.

Hi, Anne. Hope school is going well for you!

Hi Gardner!!

Yes, it is going well. We are very busy, and I can't believe we will be half way through the semester in a couple of weeks.  Thank you for asking.

I hope that all is well with you.  From the posts I have read, it seems that you are feeling better than you did earlier in the summer.  I am so glad to hear this. I do not post much, but I do try to read most of the posts on this board and the Ativan board. 

Take care Gardner.  Have a great day!!

Anne  :)

Hi Gardner!!

Yes, it is going well. We are very busy, and I can't believe we will be half way through the semester in a couple of weeks.  Thank you for asking.

I hope that all is well with you.  From the posts I have read, it seems that you are feeling better than you did earlier in the summer.  I am so glad to hear this. I do not post much, but I do try to read most of the posts on this board and the Ativan board. 

Wow, the semester is flying by! Glad to hear things are going well for you.

Yes, I'm dong better partially crossed over to Librium and slowing way down with my MT.

You have been an inspiration to me. I used to teach and I know how much energy that takes. So I decided to follow your approach of going as slowly as needed to function as well as I need to function in my situation. (I'm head of household, have an autoimmune disease, and have an adult child on the spectrum living with me who needs a steady mom.) I'm not normally very patient, but I'm learning to be. Slow and steady wins the race!  :thumbsup:

P.S. I also don't post as much as I used to (hit pause on my blog) because I'm trying to get some other stuff in my life un-messed, including getting myself re-connected to community and becoming stable enough to work or volunteer again somehow, even if it means back to school for me. I have an advising appointment at a local college on Friday! At my age!  :o

Hi Gardner!!

Yes, I'm dong better partially crossed over to Librium and slowing way down with my MT.

You have been an inspiration to me. I used to teach and I know how much energy that takes. So I decided to follow your approach of going as slowly as needed to function as well as I need to function in my situation. (I'm head of household, have an autoimmune disease, and have an adult child on the spectrum living with me who needs a steady mom.) I'm not normally very patient, but I'm learning to be. Slow and steady wins the race!  :thumbsup:

P.S. I also don't post as much as I used to (hit pause on my blog) because I'm trying to get some other stuff in my life un-messed, including getting myself re-connected to community and becoming stable enough to work or volunteer again somehow, even if it means back to school for me. I have an advising appointment at a local college on Friday! At my age!  :o

Gardner,

I think we need to so what is best for us. I wish that I could go faster, but I want to feel as well as I can at work and also here at home. At this rate it will take me until July or August to finish my taper--maybe longer, but that is okay.  I am so happy that you are doing better. Going back to school is a great idea. Age does not matter. I have students that are older than me (55). The more mature students do very well with their studies.  What do you think you would like to study? I remember you telling us you were a teacher. Was this high school?  What did you teach?

It sounds like you are on the right track and so am I.  We will both get through this and off these drugs soon. I look forward to the day when I can say I am done. Can't wait.

Enjoy the rest of the day. 

Anne

Hi Gardner!!

Gardner,

I think we need to so what is best for us. I wish that I could go faster, but I want to feel as well as I can at work and also here at home. At this rate it will take me until July or August to finish my taper--maybe longer, but that is okay.  I am so happy that you are doing better. Going back to school is a great idea. Age does not matter. I have students that are older than me (55). The more mature students do very well with their studies.  What do you think you would like to study? I remember you telling us you were a teacher. Was this high school?  What did you teach?

It sounds like you are on the right track and so am I.  We will both get through this and off these drugs soon. I look forward to the day when I can say I am done. Can't wait.

Enjoy the rest of the day. 

Anne

Anne, I taught 5th grade before my kids were born and then subbed at all levels 4K through high school (not fun). That was until 2009 when this neurological stuff hit me and I was no longer able to work. So I've been out of my field for a long time. I'm thinking about getting an associates degree in gerontology if I can make it work with my undergrad degree and turn into a real job. One person at the college (not in career services) told me I would need at least an undergrad in social work to do any kind of human services work with seniors. The person I'm meeting with on Friday is in career placement, so I think she will have a good idea of where this degree would lead. At my age (50+), it doesn't make sense to invest the time, energy, and money into a masters degree in anything. I would never recoup the investment. And I couldn't start something that hard until I got all my health issues under control. That's going to take a couple of years. So, my plan is to snail-pace MT and dip my big toe back into college and see what happens. The advisor is my age and has been through some very serious health problems herself in the past year (had to take a leave), so I think she will be a good advisor for me. These 2-year colleges are pretty cheap, so even if it doesn't turn into anything at all, at least it will get me out of the house and meeting other professional women, which will do me a world of good!

(Notice how I slipped in a reference to MT so this wasn't completely off-topic. :laugh:)

Shaani, does that l-theanine help with sleep for you? I stopped Seroquel early 2014, but was in such bad tolerance withdrawal from xanax by then, that I never considered Seroquel a real problem, minus the inevitable insomnia. Was in such a dark desperate wave yesterday from losing several nights sleep, that I considered asking for Seroquel again. Trying NOT to add p-meds to the mix, but I need to work soon and this is hell. Going thru divorce.

V.

PS--hello everyone - sorry for my random post here.

Appreciate this thread very much.

Hi V,

Of course, I'll let Shaani answer her own question, but I do know that she uses the theanine and in conjunction with other things to help with sleep. I've done the same while also trying 5-HTP, Tryptophan, a little Melatonin here and there, Ashwaganda, etc. Individually or in combination, nothing worked at all. Then again, the crazy large dose of K for such a long time probably has a lot to do with it. As of now, nothing at all works for me. If you don't have any adrenal/cortisol blasts at night, then I'd bet that theanine or some of the suggestions from Shaani would really help. If the stress is what's keep you up, then I'm confident that Shaani's magic could be of great assistance. She's really experienced in this area and would be a huge asset to you.

Hang in there, and best of luck!!

Jeff

Jeff, I have a sleep app called iSleep Easy that I play in a loop all night long by my bed so when I do wake up, I can calm down quicker. It has lots of options for sleep affirmations and relaxing sound effects. I use the same one over and over so my brain associates it with sleep. Plus, I watch old black and white re-runs of Andy Griffith to help me unwind at night. I have this theory that black and white TV is less stimulating and Andy Griffith is definitely not stimulating. So my sleep arsenal is 1. alternating meds, 2. using my app, and 3. watching Andy Griffith!

About the receptors thing, the theory is that the lower doses affect the most receptors and adding more benzo above a certain point doesn't change as many GABA receptors. Most were changed at the lower doses. So, as we get lower in our tapers, we are forcing more receptors to up regulate (change back to the way they worked before). The more receptors that are being made to change, the worse the symptoms. This is why many people need to slow down their tapers as they get lower. The addiction really is set in the strongest at the lowest doses for many people.

Since I'm nowhere near low, I don't know what will happen for me. I do know I am below the point where the benzos do anything to help my sleep any more. (They were originally prescribed as a sleep med.)

Ahhh, many thanks. Makes sense  ;)

SG..i had been using pieces for a couple weeks now and not cutting on my whole pills and my ears were fine..its that crazy high pitch like tinnitus and it started this morning a bit after i took the first dose..and has gotten worse as the day has went on..and not sure how to pull out of it..i have to leave in like 20 mins to get my hair done and not sure how i will get through this..hope to get some help as to what to do to get to 4 doses..a better way not all at once..or else get back to where i was at 3 doses..

thanks

deep

Hi DeepCanyon,

That tinnitus is a weird thing. I have found that every time I make a micro cut, the tinnitus kicks in for a couple days then goes away. I am convinced it is my nervous system rebelling against the decreasing Xanax dose and the increased number of exposed receptors. Hang in there, ;) Rose

Hey Rose. Just what does "the increased number of exposed receptors" mean? Explain that, if you would. When we "cut", does that increase the # of receptors in the brain (if so, is that a BAD thing)? Not sure how that works or what that even means. I've heard SG mention upregulation and down regulation, but never truly understood that. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

As long as we have benzos in our system, our brains do not make the gaba a and b chemicals needed for relaxation and sleep. The receptors for those chemicals have an affinity for the chemical composition of benzos and benzos lock tight into them when it is available. As less and less benzos are taken, more and more receptors are left with no chemical (synthetic as in benzos) to fill them, therefore the idea of them becoming "uncovered" comes into play. Because of this the brain needs to start "upregulating", meaning it has to start becoming normal and start producing it's own natural chemicals that benzos took the place of. When benzos are taken it causes our brains to "downregulate" or stop making the needed chemicals. Simplified explanation off the top of my head. Does it help? Rose  :)

Yep. You and Gardener nailed it. A big 'thank you'!! Looks like Satan and benzos have a lot in common.

Jeff

Moodle,

Congrats!!!! I'm so happy and excited for you! I know you will do even more amazing now that you are completely free of benzos!

XO Maya  :smitten:

CD..thank you for getting back to me..and i have only had a few episodes since i started my taper but nothing like this..i hope it eases up before i get to the place to get my hair done ..dont know if i will be able to let them color and wash it all out and sit still with all this going on in my ears...

and thank you for telling me to hang tough..i sure seem like i have turned into a scared wimp lately..and just need to suck it up i guess  :thumbsup:

deep

Hi, I can't see how long you've taken a benzo, but I know that for myself, ANY change I make with my benzo causes a big upset to my nervous system making my withdrawal symptoms really act up. Fortunately they do calm down after a couple of days. It seems my nervous system is extremely sensitive. I've taken Xanax for 14 years and the prescribed dose was 1mg three times a day. However, I rarely took it three times a day, I took it twice a day, about 1 o'clock in the afternoon when the stress of my job as an RN peaked because of the end of shift time crunch, then at night time to sleep. I had multiple nasty hot flashes during the day and ones that woke me up at night. The whole time I figured it was menopause kicking in and job stress, but in reality it was withdrawal symptoms every day and night- for 14 years! Even as a nurse I had no idea that benzo's would do that to you. I trusted my doctor and the med worked so well for anxiety that I never bothered to learn about it. After learning about it here I wished like hell I never took it. The result is my system is super kindled, hence the ultra sensitivity to any change, whether a small increase or decrease. A couple weeks ago I was really busy, I fixed my afternoon dose but forgot to take it. OMG, I paid for that, three days of hell, cold sweats, hot sweats, tinnitus, heartburn, stomach upset.

I think it is entirely possible for you to have symptoms from a change in your dosing, even dividing it from 3 times to 4 times a day. It seems our brain gets really set in taking the med in a routine manner. But I do think things may smooth out for you after a few days- hang in there.  Rose

Got another one for ya, Rose: The night time hot flashes...is that due to your adrenals blasting out cortisol at night? I started having the "wake up" problem before I even started the taper or knew what the taper was (mega K dose for over 2 decades plus a snot load of other psychotropics along the way). I talked to multiple people and they told me to do a saliva test for adrenal stress. I ordered a saliva test kit and, sure enough, my cortisol reading at 4am was through the roof. It was out of the upper end of the range. That's high! I was waking up like clock work at 3:30am with a blast of a panic, feeling super hot, really nervous, etc. I still do. It's so bad now that I haven't had a remotely decent nights sleep in almost 8 months. I honestly do well if I can doze for an hour or two. After that, the blast hits and then I'm up the rest of the night. No wonder I can't cut!!!  Anyway, just thought I'd ask you about YOUR night hot flashes, etc.

Hugs!

Jeff

Hi again, I don't know much about cortisol or adrenalin surges. I would like it if someone could explain the physiology of them and how to counter them. I am pretty sure that happens to me too, especially with the hot flashes. I notice they not only hit at random times but also right before I drop off to sleep and right when I'm waking up, and they wake me up in the middle of the night. I can always feel them coming on before I feel hot, it's like a shot of anxiety hits right before the temp goes up, and I feel crappy. I know when I am stable they happen much less, but within 3 days of dropping my dose they start. I hate it. I wish I could just get off this crap now. Anyway, hopefully someone can explain the "surges". Take care, Rose

Just thought of this question for you too....you say that you get hit right before you fall asleep, also in the middle of the night, and when you wake up. So, what do you do to get to sleep/stay asleep??

Sorry for the extra question. It IS a micro taper-type of question, so I should be good to go  :)

Jeff

Sorry for the extra question. It IS a micro taper-type of question, so I should be good to go  :)

Jeff

We can get away with bending the MT topic as far as we want with commander-in-chief Sharkey off duty! Or should I say he's on daddy duty and too busy to notice us MT kids being naughty!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Jeff and Maya..thank you. That's very kind of you.

It feels definitely strange . It was a struggle last night, to be honest.

Not sure ...probably would have happened anyway.

Gard, I haven't seen Doodle around at all and was wondering the same thing yesterday .

Hoping Shannon and Doodle are okay.

Sometimes people takes breaks. I hope they check in some time soon

Gard, I haven't seen Doodle around at all and was wondering the same thing yesterday .

Moodle- A big congrats to you! You are another one who shows us just how tough we are!  :smitten:

Thank you.

Yes, it's been quite the journey and it wasn't easy. As we all know. Can't deny that.

Every single one of you: troopers.

I'm not nearly feeling well but got to trust the process and riding it out.

:smitten:

Moodle- A big congrats to you! You are another one who shows us just how tough we are!  :smitten:

SG,

HM

When you were last at this dose, did you feel good?

Benzos can be real bastards this way.  You would think an updose would solve the problem, but it does not always work.  I think you will stabilize, but it might take time.  I'd sit tight until you feel ready to taper.  You'll come around.

SG - and Sharkey -

When I was last at this dose yes I did feel good. Until the ambitious cuts started catching up with me and by tapering, I tapered out my evening dose. Like I said the up dose didn't really help at all. But I do feel I am slowly stabilizing. Do you think since the up dose didn't really work (or regardless of it), even if I am not 100% stabilized, it's safe to begin cutting again very slowly? I feel the up dose is making me feel out of it and more lethargic almost - although I did add back quite a bit to my daily dose - maybe more than I needed to. Usually, in the past it's taken 9-11 days to stabilize to the point I feel better and ready to cut again. I'm on day 6 of my hold now. Do you think I should wait a bit longer before cutting and at what rate do you think I shoul cut at now? (I was cutting .005g of my .5 K pills per day before getting into this mess).

Thanks

SG - and Sharkey -

When I was last at this dose yes I did feel good. Until the ambitious cuts started catching up with me and by tapering, I tapered out my evening dose. Like I said the up dose didn't really help at all. But I do feel I am slowly stabilizing. Do you think since the up dose didn't really work (or regardless of it), even if I am not 100% stabilized, it's safe to begin cutting again very slowly? I feel the up dose is making me feel out of it and more lethargic almost - although I did add back quite a bit to my daily dose - maybe more than I needed to. Usually, in the past it's taken 9-11 days to stabilize to the point I feel better and ready to cut again. I'm on day 6 of my hold now. Do you think I should wait a bit longer before cutting and at what rate do you think I shoul cut at now? (I was cutting .005g of my .5 K pills per day before getting into this mess).

Thanks

Hi HM,

It is sometimes hard to know how long to hold and when to begin cutting again.  A thing I usually tell people is if you feel you are still getting something out of holding keep riding it and take any gains you can.

As for how much to cut, it seems your old .005g cut is used up, which is no surprise.  And since you are recovering from over-tapering I think you should begin cautiously and establish a smaller cut that works, then build on that.  I would not choose .004g yet I'd think .001g would be overly careful as you were recently able to handle .005g (.015mg), so that leaves .002 or .003g.  I'd probably go with .002g and give it a try for a few weeks, then if all is well bump to .003g.  This might seem slow for you, but I can assure you compared to other people here on BB even .002g (.006mg) is quite fast at your dose.

Reaching 4.0mg Valium on Saturday!! So happy.

Just wanted to share one thing about how the taper has been going. As I'm nearing 4.0 mg of Valium.. I feel like I'm somewhat stabilizing again for the first time since I was at 5.0mg... and 6.0mg.. and 7.0mg...

..I'm beginning to really think that using the shave/scale method isn't for me. I always feel like I'm going crazy in acute w/d in between 8 and 7 and 7 and 6, etc... and then begin to finally feel human as I reach a mg mark where I have no shaved pills, only full pills or ones that are split along the score.

...so... I'm not messing around anymore... I gave a compounding pharmacy a call and they can make me Valium liquid in almond oil... I'm considering either getting a 5mg/5mL liquid or 2.5mg/5mL liquid. I do not like the idea of splitting my pills into quarters... I'd rather take 3mg as pills and then 1mL as liquid... and just have to split pills along the score line... more comfortable with that.

Just some thoughts to throw out there... if I were to do this all again, I would have tried harder to get custom compounded liquid Valium with the almond oil instead of using the Rx Roxane Liquid Valium (which always felt like a huge cut when I took it)... so we'll see.