Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

Jeff,

I am so glad your Drs appt went well and now you don't have to worry anymore! My pdoc also told me that most people on my dose would be off in a month. Luckily, he doesn't care how or if I taper. He told me I know more about tapering than him. He got one thing right. Also did you get the DBT workbook? I'm sure you will do fine going from 2.1mg to 2mg. I am so happy for you!

XO Maya  :smitten:

Thanks Maya! And yep, I got the DBT workbook. Very cool! Kind of puts things in perspective, huh? I like it. We're all blessed in some way even if it doesn't seem like it some days. We'll all get there. At the rate I'm cutting, I'll have Alzheimer's before I'm off this stuff and I won't even know it  :)  One day at a time...

Hugs and blessings comin' at ya!

Jeff

Hello, Micro-tapering peeps.

New to this thread, and could use some support.

I wonder if reducing 0.0025mg daily is considered about average, fast, or slow?

Doing a liquid micro-taper from Xanax. For months I only reduced about 5% every 4 weeks, afraid to go faster due to SXs I didn't understand. Came to the forum last year in acute distress, but still have a very sensitized CNS (possibly kindled from prior 3-4 month taper & reinstatements).

I'm up to 10% monthly now. Very depressed. Crying. Not sure it's withdrawal since circumstances took a nosedive in June and I have a lot of stress pressing in on me. Want to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot by increasing my taper too quickly. I've tapered slowly 17 months now. One benzo group told me I could be off this stuff in 10 months, at 10% monthly reductions, but I'm about 2/3 of the way there.

I've had both family members and doctors tell me I'm dragging this taper out for the attention, that nothings' wrong with me, and to just get off the stuff. It's demoralizing. I did increase my taper this past month to about 10-11%. Think I could safely be done in 3 months, except for losing sleep. Either the depression could lift or worsen.

I've taken Xanax (alprazolam) for 15 years now, including taper time. As best I can remember. With people having so much trouble coming off benzos after only a couple years use, I'm worried about long term users like myself.  My original prescriber told me to cold turkey the xanax about 18 months ago. He said nobody ever had the problems I'm having. Needless to say, I never went back to him.

Thanks for your input,

V

Hey V, I think SG and Maya might have something to say about long term use. Me too. At this point, it doesn't really matter. Getting off it now (or in the near future) is better than never getting off it. We can't control all of the unfortunate past of being on this stuff so long, but we can control how we approach it mentally. I say to just follow your gut and do what YOU feel is best for you (not the family or docs). You'll get there, and life will be sweeter when you do  :)

Jeff

Thanks Maya! And yep, I got the DBT workbook. Very cool! Kind of puts things in perspective, huh? I like it. We're all blessed in some way even if it doesn't seem like it some days. We'll all get there. At the rate I'm cutting, I'll have Alzheimer's before I'm off this stuff and I won't even know it  :)  One day at a time...

Hugs and blessings comin' at ya!

Jeff

Jeff,

I'm so glad you like it. It definitely does. I find the coping skills very helpful, but many of them especially mindfulness take practice. I need to start using my DBT skills more. We definitely are! Stop, you will start cutting soon! You will be off sooner than you think!

Sending you hugs and blessings right back!  :smitten:

XO Maya

Doing a liquid micro-taper from Xanax. For months I only reduced about 5% every 4 weeks, afraid to go faster due to SXs I didn't understand. Came to the forum last year in acute distress, but still have a very sensitized CNS (possibly kindled from prior 3-4 month taper & reinstatements).

I'm up to 10% monthly now. Very depressed. Crying. Not sure it's withdrawal since circumstances took a nosedive in June and I have a lot of stress pressing in on me. Want to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot by increasing my taper too quickly. I've tapered slowly 17 months now. One benzo group told me I could be off this stuff in 10 months, at 10% monthly reductions, but I'm about 2/3 of the way there.

I've had both family members and doctors tell me I'm dragging this taper out for the attention, that nothings' wrong with me, and to just get off the stuff. It's demoralizing. I did increase my taper this past month to about 10-11%. Think I could safely be done in 3 months, except for losing sleep. Either the depression could lift or worsen.

I've taken Xanax (alprazolam) for 15 years now, including taper time. As best I can remember. With people having so much trouble coming off benzos after only a couple years use, I'm worried about long term users like myself.  My original prescriber told me to cold turkey the xanax about 18 months ago. He said nobody ever had the problems I'm having. Needless to say, I never went back to him.

Thanks for your input,

V

V,

I am so sorry you are having such a rough time! Don't listen to the people telling you you need to taper faster. You need to taper at the speed that is best for you. My pdoc would have me off in a month if I listened to his taper plan. Luckily, he lets me do what I want. That is demoralizing and you should not be treated this way. They have no idea what they are talking about.

I am not the one to help you with your taper plan. There are others like SG and builder who are very helpful. I can speak on taking benzos long term. I have been on them my entire adult life, 12 years. Usually, people who have been on them shorter periods of time have an easier time getting off benzos. On BB you will find the ones who had a harder time. Try not to compare yourself to others. Everyone is different. I have seen high dose long term users come off faster than those on a low dose for a little while. Just focus on tapering in a way that works for you. Also tapers can be unpredictable. I had a very easy time getting from 8mg to 4mg. Now it isn't as easy. Jeff gave you great advice. You will get off of Xanax long term user or not! I know that me and Jeff will get off of klonopin after long term use. Just focus on doing what's best for you! I hope you start feeling better soon!

XO Maya

Thanks for your input,

V

I'm sorry to hear it's been so rough. I had a very rough time tapering straight off of Xanax. I am on part Xanax and part Librium now, which has been more tolerable. I do think circumstances play a part in how fast a person can taper. I decided to slow my taper down to 5%/month to minimize symptoms and enable to me to un-mess some big life stressors. When I have my feet back under me, I will try to carefully up my speed again.

I have family members who know nothing of my Xanax dependence and taper because they would be just like yours, critical and hurtful. Lucky for me they are half a continent away.  :) They are ignorant. I think it's best to not even bring the subject up with them.

I defer to the math gurus regarding cut sizes. I have been in a cog fog since my first dose of X, so it would be dangerous for me to give math advice! But I figure I will take 2 years to taper off of a 6 month prescription. Nuts, but that's just the way my brain is reacting, probably also due to being sensitized by wacky prescribing and wacky advice before I found out how to dose and taper correctly.

Hang in there and take your time. This is indeed trial and error, but you will get through it eventually by listening to your body and adjusting to what works for you.

Gard :smitten:

Well, all he has to do is keep extending until you're done! I'm pulling for ya, Gardener  8)

Jeff

So far so good! It sure does feel good to have the psych extending for the whole winter. He drives hours from home to spend Mon-Thurs here, and I was sure the winter roads were going to keep him from extending, but he did. He's an interesting guy. Jovial and seems to like working with the other staff (lures them into his office with candy and chess games). I've never met a psychiatrist like him. Very unconventional. I'll bet they're paying him a fortune to keep him extending. Whatever it takes, I say!  :D

Thanks for the feedback, Gardner, Jeff, Maya. Appreciate it.

Quite possibly the taper feels rough due to emotional circumstances weighing on me. Otherwise, I've grown accustomed to feeling like crap, but losing my job recently created more stress. I can't, nor do I desire, to cross over to a longer acting benzo. Just gonna try to hang with it.

I surely won't follow ignorant advice from doctors/family/friends who think I should jump already. :o  We all know that's a bunch of nonsense. Doing the best I can under the circumstances. Thanks for being here.

I still wonder if reducing .0025 daily is considered average or slow for xanax?

All in all, it seems to be okay-ish for the most part. AFraid to speed it up, though.

Blessings,  :smitten:

V.

Quite possibly the taper feels rough due to emotional circumstances weighing on me. Otherwise, I've grown accustomed to feeling like crap, but losing my job recently created more stress. I can't, nor do I desire, to cross over to a longer acting benzo. Just gonna try to hang with it.

I surely won't follow ignorance advice from doctors/family/friends who think I should jump already. We all know that's a bunch of nonsense. Doing the best I can under the circumstances. Thanks for being here.

All in all, it seems to be okay-ish for the most part. AFraid to speed it up, though.

V.

V,

Of course stressors like losing your job etc. are going to make you feel worse. It is hard enough to taper without them. I am sorry you are going through a tough time! I could never take Xanax. I metabolize klonopin very quickly. If it works for you then don't switch. It's different for each person.

It is a bunch of nonsense! You are doing great! Try to surround yourself with positive people as much as possible. I stay away from toxic people.

I am not the person to ask about tapering. I am not on Xanax and on a much higher dose than you. I am sure someone else can help you with that. SG is very helpful. I taper based on my sxs. I try to listen to my body and taper accordingly. If you are feeling pretty good at that rate, I don't see why it would be a problem. I wouldn't worry about what's "average". It is about what finding what works for you.

I surely won't follow ignorance advice from doctors/family/friends who think I should jump already. We all know that's a bunch of nonsense. Doing the best I can under the circumstances. Thanks for being here.

V.

Hi V, Welcome to this thread and I know you will find the support you need. People on this thread are also very non-judgemental. It doesn't matter what other people think about how you are doing- you have to be true to yourself and do what is best for you. People who have not walked in our shoes have no idea of this hell. As far as .0025 goes, that is probally about average. I have found I have to go slower because of kindling after being on this for 14 yrs and suffering withdrawal all this time. Had no idea I was and no idea how short Xanax's half life is. I am doing a liquid MT and drop my dose,.0025mg/1ml every couple three or four days. It just depends on how I feel and how fast I stabilize and...what else is going on in my life that is stressful, like losing my mom a month ago. I would rather go slow and have milder w/d's than fast with horrendous w/d's which I have done, and learned the hard way. Just hang tight, listen to your body and nervous system and go by that. Don't let anybody pressure you or guilt you- it's none of their business. We are here for you.  ;) Rose

V.

V,

Everyone is different. 0.0025 daily is a 5% cut for two weeks.  Some go faster and some slower. If it is working for you, then by all means stick with the 5%.  If you need to go slower, that is okay too. Whatever works for you. Slow is the key to a smooth taper.

Anne

Do any of these little pieces lose their potency after having been shaved or cut... especially after having been sitting in a pill box for weeks in that condition?

I've always wondered that.. and I threw out all of those old pieces and am going to just make pills 4 days at a time now to see if that makes any difference.

Reason I ask is that I've been holding for 4 days now after having micro-tapered for a long stretch and last night, I suffered more than I've ever suffered in this entire withdrawal. I didn't even know myself... and something just seems 'wrong' about this. Like it can't possibly be the w/d, considering how slow I'm cutting.

Thanks.

Dpier one suggestion perhaps you should crush your pills and weigh them like that.  I really don't think the pills lose their potency but I don't know.  I keep mine in a pill container and cut for 2 weeks. I know the liquid doesn't work for you but have you thought about crushing your pill and putting the powder in the liquid just to take one day's dose?  You take your pills with water so wouldn't this be the same?  I don't know perhaps SG or someone else can answer this.

It seems you and I are similar in that our small cuts send us into a tail spin. I am also holding but I don't think a hold of just 4 days will let us feel better - I think you have to hold longer to see if it works for you. Remember your body is catching up to the cuts you made before so in a sense you are still going down even though you are not cutting anymore. I think your suffering is related to the fact that your body is still dropping the doses that went before.  I would keep holding to see if it helps so that you 'catch up' to the cuts you have already made.  After 2 weeks if you are still suffering, I guess  if it were me,  I would just get off since if I am going to suffer I figure I may as well get rid of the poison.  Hopefully you will feel better as the days go on but the nice thing about the micro taper is you don't have to go back up.  Just hang in there - I am right there with you.  I am also hoping my hold helps me and I have been holding since Friday with no relief and new s/x popping up. 

Thank you so much Kgirl.. this is hell on earth... and if I were able to do liquid... I would... yesterday.

I think a lot of the problem I have with liquid stems from the fact that different manufacturers can vary in potency from one brand to another up to 15% from what I've heard. I have mylan pills and roxane liquid... that MIGHT explain some of it, I don't know.

Thank you so much Kgirl.. this is hell on earth... and if I were able to do liquid... I would... yesterday.

I think a lot of the problem I have with liquid stems from the fact that different manufacturers can vary in potency from one brand to another up to 15% from what I've heard. I have mylan pills and roxane liquid... that MIGHT explain some of it, I don't know.

dpier, you can look at my signiture nice dose EH? My Valium just got changed from Mylan  to Teva and like a fool i googled up the difference  :idiot: all pills from even the Non Genric brands have a lead way of 20 % so i read something on a post not on bb buddies concerning pills stenghth among brands it  hit home said Do Not Go Looking for Trouble  :thumbsup:. And like Kgirl said and i agree that even when i hold for a 3-4 day period it sometimes does not help maybe different metobolisim? not sure and taper rates should be symptom based IMHO and i am still struggling with this as cutting my rate gets crazy at times and also in IMHO the lower you get the harder it gets bcause our GABA is not healed so just trying to help !Keep the Faith ~ CD

Just throwing this out there. My generic pill brand has not changed. It's Mylan. With last Rx I weighed every pill in bottle. No way would my avg. weight be .173 mg since there was quite the range in weights: something like from .168 g to .180 g. Because my dose is getting really low, at .086 mg a day divided in two doses, no way am I going to randomly take out a pill and make a .001 g cut. I've separated the pills so I know which ones come closest to .173 g and use those. Best I can do for consistency. Crazy.

Do any of these little pieces lose their potency after having been shaved or cut... especially after having been sitting in a pill box for weeks in that condition?

I've always wondered that.. and I threw out all of those old pieces and am going to just make pills 4 days at a time now to see if that makes any difference.

Reason I ask is that I've been holding for 4 days now after having micro-tapered for a long stretch and last night, I suffered more than I've ever suffered in this entire withdrawal. I didn't even know myself... and something just seems 'wrong' about this. Like it can't possibly be the w/d, considering how slow I'm cutting.

Thanks.

I once had a script that said if I cut the pill, I should use the other half within 24 hours. On the other hand, I have used bits that have been sitting around for weeks. I think it is a mystery!

I've been where you were last night, but only after tapering too fast. I'm sorry you went through that. I've heard of people having waves at weird times. The brain just suddenly decides to do some rearranging or something, I think.

Hi V, Welcome to this thread and I know you will find the support you need. People on this thread are also very non-judgemental. It doesn't matter what other people think about how you are doing- you have to be true to yourself and do what is best for you. People who have not walked in our shoes have no idea of this hell. As far as .0025 goes, that is probally about average. I have found I have to go slower because of kindling after being on this for 14 yrs and suffering withdrawal all this time. Had no idea I was and no idea how short Xanax's half life is. I am doing a liquid MT and drop my dose,.0025mg/1ml every couple three or four days. It just depends on how I feel and how fast I stabilize and...what else is going on in my life that is stressful, like losing my mom a month ago. I would rather go slow and have milder w/d's than fast with horrendous w/d's which I have done, and learned the hard way. Just hang tight, listen to your body and nervous system and go by that. Don't let anybody pressure you or guilt you- it's none of their business. We are here for you.  ;) Rose

Thank you for the warm welcome and encouragement, Rose. Just wanna say I'm so sorry for the loss of your precious mother just a month ago. Please take good care and I'd like to keep you in my prayers this next little while. I've kindled, too, and think it's wise to go slow and listen to our bodies. We've been on benzos about the same length of time.

Hugs,

V

V.

V,

Everyone is different. 0.0025 daily is a 5% cut for two weeks.  Some go faster and some slower. If it is working for you, then by all means stick with the 5%.  If you need to go slower, that is okay too. Whatever works for you. Slow is the key to a smooth taper.

Anne

Thanks, Anne. I guess that's what I needed to know - the percentage I'm cutting. Appreciate it. I considered possibly increasing my taper but might leave well enough alone. Up until recently I only reduced about 5-6% monthly. Think I'll stay around .0025mg daily. Thank you!  ~ V.

V,

Of course stressors like losing your job etc. are going to make you feel worse. It is hard enough to taper without them. I am sorry you are going through a tough time! I could never take Xanax. I metabolize klonopin very quickly. If it works for you then don't switch. It's different for each person.

It is a bunch of nonsense! You are doing great! Try to surround yourself with positive people as much as possible. I stay away from toxic people.

I am not the person to ask about tapering. I am not on Xanax and on a much higher dose than you. I am sure someone else can help you with that. SG is very helpful. I taper based on my sxs. I try to listen to my body and taper accordingly. If you are feeling pretty good at that rate, I don't see why it would be a problem. I wouldn't worry about what's "average". It is about what finding what works for you.

Thank you so much, Maya. Everyone here is so kind. I don't think I've met SG yet. Once I hit .25mg, will re-do my taper plan using just .25 tabs...

Yep, pulling away from toxic folks - family, forums, everywhere. Ain't nobody got time for that. :crazy: With stressors out the wazoo, I'm probably doing par for the course. Will continue .0025mg daily for now. Hope you're doing okay today.

V.

Thank you for the warm welcome and encouragement, Rose. Just wanna say I'm so sorry for the loss of your precious mother just a month ago. Please take good care and I'd like to keep you in my prayers this next little while. I've kindled, too, and think it's wise to go slow and listen to our bodies. We've been on benzos about the same length of time.

Hugs,

V

V.

V,

Anne

Thanks, Anne. I guess that's what I needed to know - the percentage I'm cutting. Appreciate it. I considered possibly increasing my taper but might leave well enough alone. Up until recently I only reduced about 5-6% monthly. Think I'll stay around .0025mg daily. Thank you!  ~ V.

O.K., excuse my ignorance again: What does "kindled" mean?

Gimme sleep!! Going nuts. If "kindled" happened to mean "no sleep", then I'd have no kindling left! An absolute nightmare...wait...can't be a nightmare because you have to be asleep to have a nightmare, right? Who's on first?! Where's Waldo?

Jeff

Jeff, hell if I know. But I thought it meant what happens to our nervous system when/if we've cold-turkeyed or tapered way too fast, re-instated a time or two, and got our CNS all messed up as a result. Then it's 'kindled' all the way down. Some say its not necessarily true. All I know is, my CNS got fried. Some say the term originally applied to alcoholics in withdrawal, not benzos, but I'd have to check my research on that. Someone else here probably knows better.

'Course, I haven't had much sleep either...lol...and feel for you.

Hoping you can sleep soon! It's awful without sleep!

V.  :smitten:

Jeff and V,

Kindling due to substance withdrawal refers the neurological condition which results from repeated withdrawal episodes from sedative-hypnotic drugs such as alcohol or benzodiazepines. Each withdrawal leads to more severe withdrawal symptoms than the previous withdrawal syndrome.

So, when you try to taper off a second time, people could have more problems with a second taper..

:smitten:

Jeff and V,

Kindling due to substance withdrawal refers the neurological condition which results from repeated withdrawal episodes from sedative-hypnotic drugs such as alcohol or benzodiazepines. Each withdrawal leads to more severe withdrawal symptoms than the previous withdrawal syndrome.

So, when you try to taper off a second time, people could have more problems with a second taper..

Yeah, like I said - it messed up my CNS after tapering more than once. The first time I tapered off, I had no issues. Just insomnia. Then I reinstated (sporadically) to help with sleep only. BAD MISTAKE> kindle city.

Thanks, Moo.

Jeff and V,

Yeah, like I said - it messed up my CNS after tapering more than once. The first time I tapered off, I had no issues. Just insomnia. Then I reinstated (sporadically) to help with sleep only. BAD MISTAKE> kindle city.

Thanks, Moo.

You'll get there , V....

Sorry things are so shitty.. :smitten:

Jeff and V,

Moo, I've often wondered if the 4-6 months of serious inter-dose withdrawal I went through due to psych nurse prescribing all my X at night was sort of like a gazillion mini withdrawals which sensitized me. Every morning I woke up in full blown withdrawal, every day was worse than the day before, and every night I reinstated by taking my prescribed bedtime dose. Now I am having a terrible time tapering at a normal pace. 5% per month is all I can tolerate. Or maybe it's just the bleeping Xanax. I couldn't budge an inch on it for over a month until I did a partial cross. Not crossing any more if I can help it, though. I like my already-liquid X and I find the L depressing. So, I'm sort of balancing with one foot on each side while crawling along with my micro-micro-taper.

Anybody going to still be left on this thread with me when I'm finally off in 2+ years??  :P

Gard

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [...]
    • [...]
    • [ja...]
    • [Ct...]
    • [...]
    • [...]
    • [Le...]
    • [ma...]
    • [Ma...]
    • [hu...]