Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

Wondering if any people finished or at a low dose MTing could give me some advice.

I was tapering way, way too fast in May when I hit my wall and had to up dose a bit and then hold and hang on for dear life. I ended up doing a partial cross to Librium and then MTing. I was reducing my 5% dilution at .08/day but was too symptomatic. I slowed to .06 and did OK for a couple of days but am getting really symptomatic again.

I looked at my daily total and realized that I am about to cross that magic line I crossed in May where I fell apart. Is there such a thing as a "magic line" that is going to be hard to get under or is it all about rate of taper? BTW, I hit the wall when I dipped slightly below 1mgX/day and I am at that today (if I did my math right).

I'm functioning but am not able to do what I want to do and make plans because I'm too anxious that I won't be able to follow through because I'm jittery or sad most of the time. Not horrible, just not something I think I can handle long term and have a life.

Uh, well...probably both.  I had one really difficult point in my taper (3.5mg and had to both hold and updose.

But the good news is, that "magic line" also seems to be the point where you begin to break your dependence.  Once I got through that level, my taper became a piece of cake.  I had absolutely no problems after that, and eventually was able to actually increase my taper rate, then jump at .5.

And to me, that makes perfect sense.  I think we all have a dose level where the really no longer has much effect, and thus no longer really are affected by WD.  I'm not suggesting I could of jumped at 3 mg, but I certainly no longer experienced any WD sxs.

So, builder, is it a good idea to slow down as I cross this line? The last time I approached this line it was at a ridiculous rate. (My psychiatrist told me it would take "a few months" to taper from 1.8mg X and I believed him.) It was so easy from 1.8 down to about 1.2. And then it got really nasty. And somewhere around .98 I ended up in the hospital. Ever since I hit that wall back in May, I've been struggling daily even with MT, just not as bad as it has become recently.

As I mentioned before, lots of other stressors are also contributing to this, so this is not just the benzo. It's benzo w/d plus: Budget fell apart recently so I had to go to food pantries, which I find so depressing. (Feels like failure even though I know it's not. It's a sign I am functioning!) Grown son with Asperger's is starting full time at the Tech tomorrow so he cut back his work hours, hence the budget collapse. But I'm getting him through college come hell or high water! And he's being difficult (scared, stressed, in denial about needing accomodations) and needing lots of guidance he doesn't want. Two days ago he said he changed his mind and wasn't going at all and was going to just keep working at Jimmy John's forever. Not!  :tickedoff: So, I have to be supportive of him even though I feel like I need support myself. And this really reminds me of my rotten marriage when I needed major surgery twice and had to pretend to be well because the ex-spousal unit could not deal with stress (either he shut down or flew into a rage). And stuff that reminds me of my marriage is one of my PTSD triggers. And benzo withdrawal really blows that through the roof! And my stress/pain therapist canceled my Tuesday appointment at the last minute (guess she had an emergency). (Hey, Sharkey, notice how off topic I am? You out there, Sharkey? :laugh:)

My point being, and I think I had one…dang, this benzo brain just wandered away entirely. :crazy: Oh! Should I push through this or slow down even more? If I slow down more, won't it just take longer to feel better? On the other hand, if I hit another wall (brain exploding and then shutting down), I could end up in a psych hospital being threatened with a c/t again. (Somebody please remind me I am the Princess of Paranoia and shouldn't take these thoughts seriously.::) I was truly being an idiot when that happened and I know better now.)

I know there's no magic answer. Maybe I'll just flip a coin and then do the opposite of the results because flipping a coin is a really bad way to make a decision! :-\  (If anyone has read the intro to my blog, this would be an example of my weird sense of humor. :idiot:)

Gard

I've been reading through this and am amazed by how many people have had a similar experience of having a wall or magic line that is just stubborn. This reminded me of something Shipko wrote. He said that there also seem to be magic times for patients. A patient can find it impossible to go past a certain line at one time and then a few months later cross it with ease. These benzos really are tricky buggers!

But we will outsmart them together! (We=you, me, and this box of chocolates!)

Jeff,

This is the link to the workbook:

http://www.amazon.com/Dialectical-Behavior-Therapy-Skills-Workbook/dp/1572245131

I posted links about DBT and the skills on Gardener's blog. I hope it gives you the help it gave me!

XO Maya

Thanks, Maya! I'll get that workbook. I'm not sure yet how to get to Gardener's blog, but I'm sure I'll find it. I'll go to the Homepage of BB and look around.

Keep fighting the fight!

Hugs,

Jeff

Butterfly,

That's so great that you meditate! So helpful! I'm sorry you are having a hard time and I hope you feel better! I will let others with more knowledge help you.

XO Maya

Maya you too!!! Thankfully I started in college in yoga classes but never took it serious until last few years. It has saved my marriage and it is getting  me through a lot of migraines! Wish I had used it instead of k, but gld that I know better now.  :thumbsup:

Butterfly,

Even better you do yoga, as well. When I tapered from 6mg to 4mg I took a yoga class at least twice a week and it was wonderful. I really need to start again. I'm glad it has helped you so much! I wish I had just done DBT earlier and then done EMDR therapy. I didn't need klonopin. I'm glad we both know better now!

:smitten:

XO Maya

Maya, was it you who gave a url where someone could get some kind of workbook for DBT? Also, if it WAS you, do you think that the workbook would be beneficial for me? I'm having a mess of a time due to some other issues (probably a result of the multi-decade use of K). Can't sleep, am miserably hot all night and most of the day (andropause??), nervous, etc.

Thanks!

Jeff

Hi Jeff  :thumbsup: I'm post menopausal and before I knew I was in tolerance WD, kindling and all the rest of the crap which is ALL WD anyway no matter how you dress it up, I thought certain symptoms were Menopause part 2 as their EXACTLY the same as my Menopause sxs. I still get them now along with a shopping list of sxs ::)  I hope it eases up for you soon, I use sleep talk down meditation on youtube it helps and following  the voice instructions help distraction as well.  I find 'The Honest Guy's'' and a guy named ''Jason Stephenson' good and ''Sleep Eazy'' all on youtube :)

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Cool, Nova!  I'll definitely check it out.  I appreciate you!

Jeff

Wondering if any people finished or at a low dose MTing could give me some advice.

I was tapering way, way too fast in May when I hit my wall and had to up dose a bit and then hold and hang on for dear life. I ended up doing a partial cross to Librium and then MTing. I was reducing my 5% dilution at .08/day but was too symptomatic. I slowed to .06 and did OK for a couple of days but am getting really symptomatic again.

I looked at my daily total and realized that I am about to cross that magic line I crossed in May where I fell apart. Is there such a thing as a "magic line" that is going to be hard to get under or is it all about rate of taper? BTW, I hit the wall when I dipped slightly below 1mgX/day and I am at that today (if I did my math right).

I'm functioning but am not able to do what I want to do and make plans because I'm too anxious that I won't be able to follow through because I'm jittery or sad most of the time. Not horrible, just not something I think I can handle long term and have a life.

Gardener,

Great question. I am at that same point, the wall.

Hang in there! 

You are incredibly strong, focused, always trying to move forward, encouraging and supportive to all.

This "wall" can be defeated. Will be defeated! 

Hugs to you,

Marija 🌺

Well said. You're uplifting to all of us too, Marija!! Thank you for being here.

Hugs to you,

Jeff

Jeff,

http://www.amazon.com/Dialectical-Behavior-Therapy-Skills-Workbook/dp/1572245131

I posted links about DBT and the skills on Gardener's blog. I hope it gives you the help it gave me!

XO Maya

Thanks, Maya! I'll get that workbook. I'm not sure yet how to get to Gardener's blog, but I'm sure I'll find it. I'll go to the Homepage of BB and look around.

Keep fighting the fight!

Hugs,

Jeff

It's called Seeds of Inspiration.

BTW, if you go to a person's profile, you can see their posts and that will usually lead you to their blog. ;)

Hey, it's September. When's your appointment with your new psychiatrist? Soon?

So, builder, is it a good idea to slow down as I cross this line?

IMO opinion, you only need to adjust your taper when your mind/body send you a message.  If your becoming symptomatic, then hold or updose might be needed.  Likewise, if your really starting to feel good, as I did near from 3mg on down, you might start thinking about speeding up, or when you might want to jump.  It bothers me when people want to change course because the "think" something might happen.

I've been reading through this and am amazed by how many people have had a similar experience of having a wall or magic line that is just stubborn. 

As I said, I really believe this normal, and is the body's final battle against giving up its dose of benzo.  I quit smoking many time (have been tobacco-free for over 25 years :thumbsup:).  The times I tried to taper down, I could get down to that last 2-3 cigarettes, but could never let go of that.  I think tapering benzos is the same.  You reach a point where your body says, NO, your not going any lower, but once you breach that barrier, your in the home stretch.

I've been reading through this and am amazed by how many people have had a similar experience of having a wall or magic line that is just stubborn. 

As I said, I really believe this normal, and is the body's final battle against giving up its dose of benzo.  I quit smoking many time (have been tobacco-free for over 25 years :thumbsup:).  The times I tried to taper down, I could get down to that last 2-3 cigarettes, but could never let go of that.  I think tapering benzos is the same.  You reach a point where your body says, NO, your not going any lower, but once you breach that barrier, your in the home stretch.

Builder, that's hopeful and it makes sense.

I'm wondering ...I hit that walls aroun3.75

Now I'm at 0.25 and I'm noooot feeling good.

:-\

So, builder, is it a good idea to slow down as I cross this line?

IMO opinion, you only need to adjust your taper when your mind/body send you a message.  If your becoming symptomatic, then hold or updose might be needed.  Likewise, if your really starting to feel good, as I did near from 3mg on down, you might start thinking about speeding up, or when you might want to jump.  It bothers me when people want to change course because the "think" something might happen.

No chance I'm up dosing! Maybe slow down or hold, but not up-dose. Not this time.

Sure looking forward to getting across this line. :)

Congratulations! You are quite the overcomer!

Lots of people need too slow way down as they get lower. Maybe that's you? Or maybe there's something else going on that's upping your stress and the benzos are making you hyper-reactive? That happens to me and it's very hard to sort out. Are you holding or going forward?

Jeff,

XO Maya

Keep fighting the fight!

Hugs,

Jeff

Jeff,

I am so sorry. I thought I saw you on her blog. I'm out of it. I think that's great that you are getting the workbook! Let me know what you think or of you have any questions. Some things may seem simple or silly, but really make a difference when you do them. Also mindfulness takes practice. I hope you are doing well! I am on day 3 of my MT, so far so good. I think this will be much better for me! I hope you have adjusted to liquid.

XO Maya

Lots of people need too slow way down as they get lower. Maybe that's you? Or maybe there's something else going on that's upping your stress and the benzos are making you hyper-reactive? That happens to me and it's very hard to sort out. Are you holding or going forward?

I'm holding for a few days , hoping to pull,out. Then probably cut to my last cut, hold s bit again and then jump off .

Yes, lots of additional stress and stuff going on. Hard to let go... But trying.

It IS hard to sort out but I'm working on it.  :smitten:

Hi MT Team!

It has been a while since I posted.  The new job is crazy, but I am surviving.  1 month Sept 3.  I bit the bullet and I started the taper yesterday.

1mg K  2x/day is my normal dose.  I dissolved in 3ml Vodka. Added 97 ml water. I get a bit spooked at getting the water to measure exactly 97 ml. Then when I add to the 3 ml of dissolved K it measures a smidgen over 100 mls. Drives me nuts.  Anyway I reduced by .25 ml and divided into two doses. I think I am supposed to reduce by .5ml next, then .75ml the nexy day and keep reducing each day by .25 ml.  How long before .25 ml reduction per day is too much???  I know Sharkey said .25 ml was a good starting point. SG or Builder...do you agree?  I can't afford to get slammed with sx.  Today was fine. Not much different than what I have felt for a while on full dose.

Sorry I am not as social on here. I truly do wish everyone all the best with your fight to get off the poison.  Those who post encouragement daily are amazing.  I am just hyper focused on getting through work each day, taking care of the kiddos and trying to sleep enough to function each day. I hate being trapped on this drug so I started the taper even though I am not 100%.  I am not sure I ever will be. Just making the first tiny cut made me feel positive this morning. One day at a time. Sometimes one hour at a time.

Thanks and hugs to all the warriors on here.

Shalom

Shaani

Jeff,

XO Maya

Keep fighting the fight!

Hugs,

Jeff

Jeff,

I am so sorry. I thought I saw you on her blog. I'm out of it. I think that's great that you are getting the workbook! Let me know what you think or of you have any questions. Some things may seem simple or silly, but really make a difference when you do them. Also mindfulness takes practice. I hope you are doing well! I am on day 3 of my MT, so far so good. I think this will be much better for me! I hope you have adjusted to liquid.

XO Maya

Pssst, Maya, I think I've seen him there, too! But we're making like we didn't notice. ;)

You're on day 3? Yippee! On the way to victory!  :clap:

I'm holding for a few days , hoping to pull,out. Then probably cut to my last cut, hold s bit again and then jump off .

Yes, lots of additional stress and stuff going on. Hard to let go... But trying.

It IS hard to sort out but I'm working on it.  :smitten:

You're so close! I know you can do it. Just holding on for a bit to get your feet back under you sounds like a good plan. :thumbsup:

Hi MT Team!

It has been a while since I posted.  The new job is crazy, but I am surviving.  1 month Sept 3.  I bit the bullet and I started the taper yesterday.

1mg K  2x/day is my normal dose.  I dissolved in 3ml Vodka. Added 97 ml water. I get a bit spooked at getting the water to measure exactly 97 ml. Then when I add to the 3 ml of dissolved K it measures a smidgen over 100 mls. Drives me nuts.  Anyway I reduced by .25 ml and divided into two doses. I think I am supposed to reduce by .5ml next, then .75ml the nexy day and keep reducing each day by .25 ml.  How long before .25 ml reduction per day is too much???  I know Sharkey said .25 ml was a good starting point. SG or Builder...do you agree?  I can't afford to get slammed with sx.  Today was fine. Not much different than what I have felt for a while on full dose.

Sorry I am not as social on here. I truly do wish everyone all the best with your fight to get off the poison.  Those who post encouragement daily are amazing.  I am just hyper focused on getting through work each day, taking care of the kiddos and trying to sleep enough to function each day. I hate being trapped on this drug so I started the taper even though I am not 100%.  I am not sure I ever will be. Just making the first tiny cut made me feel positive this morning. One day at a time. Sometimes one hour at a time.

Shalom

Shaani

You do so much every day, Shaani, it's amazing! Thanks for checking in anyway. I tend to worry when someone disappears for too long!

I started to taper at less than 100%, too, and did not notice any change in symptoms. I was happy to be making progress, even tiny progress. Keep keeping on and you will get there! One day, one hour, we will all get there. :thumbsup:

Jeff,

XO Maya

Keep fighting the fight!

Hugs,

Jeff

Jeff,

XO Maya

Pssst, Maya, I think I've seen him there, too! But we're making like we didn't notice. ;)

You're on day 3? Yippee! On the way to victory!  :clap:

Ok, I will play along :laugh: I think it was awhile ago and I read your whole blog more recently, so that's why I remember.

Thank you! So far so good! If the daily cuts were bothering me I would have noticed by now. I metabolize klonopin very quickly, so if there is a problem, I know that same day. Just knowing I'm going in the right direction gives me hope! I'm nearing my wall which is 3.5mg. I think it will be different this time. I think you will be good with yours! congrats on coming so far! I'm sorry you are having non benzo related issues. You are so strong! Sending you lots of love  :hug:

XO Maya

HUGs Gard!  Keep fighting the good fight and being the uber loving person you are.  I won't disappear indefinitely....The job is very demanding and I am amazed I can handle it.  I just have faith that things will work out as they should. And I will learn so much from this journey. We are stronger than we think, we just have to keep fighting,  distract, breathe, don't allow the fear or lies to take root.. Rip out those nasty benzo weeds that try to grow in the garden of our minds. Know that we know that we know...we will be VICTORIOUS!

Hi MT Team!

Shalom

Shaani

What is your daily dose and how much K do you dissolve?  If your dose is 1mg K and you make a 1mg/100ml liquid then a .25ml daily cut is fine to begin.  That is 7.5% in the first month.

Also, I am wondering about your method.  It sounds like you add the 3ml liquid K to the water in the cylinder.  This is not necessarily bad as it can be mixed, but then you have the liquid K exposed to the surfaces of a second container and so now the residue collection is more involved.  I think it would be better to leave the K liquid in the original container and add 97ml water to it from your cylinder.

As for knowing when the .25ml cut becomes too much, just listen for the signs.  Keep riding it until your body tells you it is too much.  To get a sense of things you can recalculate your monthly cut percentage each month, i.e., month 1 would be .0025mgx30/1mg=7.5%; month 2 would be .0025mgx30/.925mg=8.1%.

Hi MT Team!

Shalom

Shaani

Hi Shaani and everyone!!

It has also been a while since I have posted on the thread, but it has been a crazy few weeks at work. Shaani, I am happy to hear you have started the taper.  One suggestion though. Put the pill and alcohol into a container.  Let the pill dissolve and then add 97 mL of water using your graduated cylinder. The graduated cylinder should only be used for measuring--not for mixing. I would also give the container with the mixture a shake before removing your 0.25 mL. Do not worry about the alcohol + pill + water measuring more than 100 mL.  Just be consistent each day in how you prepare your dose.  It is all relative. For now, just keep your monthly cut at no more than 10%.  You can always increase the taper rate later if you are doing well.  Slow is the key, especially at the beginning. You will know soon enough what taper rate your body can handle.

Anne

Hi MT Team!

Shalom

Shaani

Hi Shaani and everyone!!

It has also been a while since I have posted on the thread, but it has been a crazy few weeks at work. Shaani, I am happy to hear you have started the taper.  One suggestion though. Put the pill and alcohol into a container.  Let the pill dissolve and then add 97 mL of water using your graduated cylinder. The graduated cylinder should only be used for measuring--not for mixing. I would also give the container with the mixture a shake before removing your 0.25 mL. Do not worry about the alcohol + pill + water measuring more than 100 mL.  Just be consistent each day in how you prepare your dose.  It is all relative. For now, just keep your monthly cut at no more than 10%.  You can always increase the taper rate later if you are doing well.  Slow is the key, especially at the beginning. You will know soon enough what taper rate your body can handle.

Anne

So good to see you, Anne. I've been thinking of you as the school year begins. I used to teach, so I know how that is! You are an inspiration to me that you are teaching through your taper!

I announced this on my blog but I can't resist repeating it.

As of today I am below the equivalence of 1mg Xanax/day!! :yippee:

And if my math is wrong, I don't want to know!!

:laugh:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [jo...]
    • [Ch...]
    • [do...]
    • [...]
    • [Bu...]
    • [Le...]
    • [zi...]
    • [ra...]
    • [...]
    • [bi...]