Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

SG,

I completely agree with everything you and Gardner are saying. I have learned so much from everyone and that is how I plan to taper. I am so sorry you were not taught to taper that way and I think it's amazing how much you help others to not make the same mistakes. I hope you are not symptomatic soon! I'm confused, you think you have long term damage that can't be healed?

Yes, I've developed a passion for tapering...too late for me, but still it has been very therapeutic.  I just wish it would end.  It is almost like there are two types of symptoms: shorter more reversible (maybe this is GABA receptor shortage?) and longer term damage that may be to do with glutamate receptors.  At least this is what I got out of those great research posts by Perseverance.  This is why I think there is a time limit when we get too far ahead of healing: the longer term damage takes a while to set up and occur so if we cut too big there is a period of time to correct it, but it does eventually expire.

No I don't think I am permanently damaged.  Everybody heals.  And I've improved enough to know I'll get there, probably within 6-12 more months.  Everything keep improving...every few months there is a tick up.

I'm glad it has been therapeutic for you! Your help has been very therapeutic for me  :)

I wish it would end for you! I worry that I will have long term damage because I took such a high dose for so long. My entire adult life. I am willing to go as slow as needed. I hope that doesn't happen to me.

I'm glad you don't think that! I think we will all heal. I'm glad you are seeing improvements and wish you lots of healing!

Maya, I took Prozac for 4 days. I did not know at the time I lacked the enzyme to metabolize Prozac, so it built up in my body to near-fatal levels before my pscyiatriat told me to stop taking it. I developed severe, body-wide myoclonus that was debilitating for 6 months and then was tolerable for 6 more months. I am now 95% healed from that. Stress will sometime trigger a bit of jerking, but that's it. The brian has an amazing ability to heal.

:smitten:

No sir!!!!  Just been super busy between work and the new baby and my 2 year old.  I do read most posts but I usually only post about tapering for new posters. Or questions specifically addressed to me.  So if you need something just ask!

Love y'all!

sharkey

I have a question for the Shark. What do you think about SG's theory that the best way to taper is with the fewest symptoms possible so that at the end you are just about completely healed? ???

And another, is that new baby sleeping through the night yet?? :o

I think SG knows more about tapering than most on the forum and his advice has always been great and it inspired me to help others. 

I think the speed of a taper is dependent on a lot of factors and it is different for everyone.  I do believe that certain people have a very bad reaction to benzos causing long term damage but I think this is not common.  I generally suggest slow taper except when I think the longer exposure to the drug will cause more damage than a fast taper.  Prime example is people only on the meds for a short time.  So if you read my posts you will see that I recommend different things to different people based on the information they provide.  Most important is the type of benzo, length of use and amount of daily dose. 

So I do agree with SG but sometimes I believe that fast taper even if it is uncomfortable may be a better option.

Stay strong!

sharkey

Interesting. I can see how a very short-term user could benefit from pushing faster. I started the drug in October and started my taper in March. I thought that made me a short-term user, so could do a fast taper, but, boy oh boy, was I wrong! :o I wonder if that crash in May is why I have to go so slowly now, like I hyper-sensitized myself to tapering.

Oh, how I remember those baby days and nights. I'm so glad you are benzo-free now, new daddy! :)

No sir!!!!  Just been super busy between work and the new baby and my 2 year old.  I do read most posts but I usually only post about tapering for new posters. Or questions specifically addressed to me.  So if you need something just ask!

Love y'all!

sharkey

I have a question for the Shark. What do you think about SG's theory that the best way to taper is with the fewest symptoms possible so that at the end you are just about completely healed? ???

And another, is that new baby sleeping through the night yet?? :o

Hi Gardener

That's how I did my taper and it worked out very well for me. It did take a long time, especially the last couple of mgs. I was able to continue working full time, didn't feel all that bad and arrived at 0 in the best physical condition I have been in in a long time. The only real downside was the length of my taper and the effort it took to continually make adjustments in order to keep symptoms minimized. I do believe this slow, minimal symptom method to be the most physiological way to do it. I also feel that this method minimizes the risk of PAWS. IMO, we will almost all eventually heal however we get off the benzos. The various methods used are probably more related to personal preference, psychologic and logistics than basic biology.

Take care and one day you will be fine however you choose to taper.

Bart

Thanks, Bart. My initial time on Xanax was almost 6 months. My taper will be at 1 1/2 to 2 years. Does this sound crazy?

Thanks, Bart. My initial time on Xanax was almost 6 months. My taper will be at 1 1/2 to 2 years. Does this sound crazy?

I don't believe 6 months is short term.  These drugs can cause dependency very quickly.  This is another reason I think very short term users should get off fast before the dependency gets you.  But once you are dependent a slow steady taper is the way to go.

Butterfly,

That's so great that you meditate! So helpful! I'm sorry you are having a hard time and I hope you feel better! I will let others with more knowledge help you.

XO Maya

Maya you too!!! Thankfully I started in college in yoga classes but never took it serious until last few years. It has saved my marriage and it is getting  me through a lot of migraines! Wish I had used it instead of k, but gld that I know better now.  :thumbsup:

Butterfly,

Even better you do yoga, as well. When I tapered from 6mg to 4mg I took a yoga class at least twice a week and it was wonderful. I really need to start again. I'm glad it has helped you so much! I wish I had just done DBT earlier and then done EMDR therapy. I didn't need klonopin. I'm glad we both know better now!

XO Maya

Maya, was it you who gave a url where someone could get some kind of workbook for DBT? Also, if it WAS you, do you think that the workbook would be beneficial for me? I'm having a mess of a time due to some other issues (probably a result of the multi-decade use of K). Can't sleep, am miserably hot all night and most of the day (andropause??), nervous, etc.

Thanks!

Jeff

Jeff,

It was me and WR. I just posted some links on Gardener's blog about DBT and another with the skills. WR posted the link for the workbook we both have and love on her blog too. I think the workbook would be beneficial to you and everyone else. I am sorry you are having such a rough time! DBT has taught me amazing skills that help me cope with anxiety, PTSD symptoms, tapering etc if you have any ques please ask. I am happy to help! I hope you start feeling better!

XO Maya

I don't believe 6 months is short term.  These drugs can cause dependency very quickly.  This is another reason I think very short term users should get off fast before the dependency gets you.  But once you are dependent a slow steady taper is the way to go.

I believe I was dependent within 4 weeks of starting the Xanax. That's when I suddenly started feeling worse, not better. My psych nurse thought the answer was more Xanax. That, again worked for 4 weeks. Got worse again. Got prescribed more again. And so on, until my medical group finally got a psychiatrist. I switched to him and he immediately know what was wrong. And here I am!

SG,

I completely agree with everything you and Gardner are saying. I have learned so much from everyone and that is how I plan to taper. I am so sorry you were not taught to taper that way and I think it's amazing how much you help others to not make the same mistakes. I hope you are not symptomatic soon! I'm confused, you think you have long term damage that can't be healed?

Yes, I've developed a passion for tapering...too late for me, but still it has been very therapeutic.  I just wish it would end.  It is almost like there are two types of symptoms: shorter more reversible (maybe this is GABA receptor shortage?) and longer term damage that may be to do with glutamate receptors.  At least this is what I got out of those great research posts by Perseverance.  This is why I think there is a time limit when we get too far ahead of healing: the longer term damage takes a while to set up and occur so if we cut too big there is a period of time to correct it, but it does eventually expire.

No I don't think I am permanently damaged.  Everybody heals.  And I've improved enough to know I'll get there, probably within 6-12 more months.  Everything keep improving...every few months there is a tick up.

I'm glad it has been therapeutic for you! Your help has been very therapeutic for me  :)

I wish it would end for you! I worry that I will have long term damage because I took such a high dose for so long. My entire adult life. I am willing to go as slow as needed. I hope that doesn't happen to me.

I'm glad you don't think that! I think we will all heal. I'm glad you are seeing improvements and wish you lots of healing!

Maya, I took Prozac for 4 days. I did not know at the time I lacked the enzyme to metabolize Prozac, so it built up in my body to near-fatal levels before my pscyiatriat told me to stop taking it. I developed severe, body-wide myoclonus that was debilitating for 6 months and then was tolerable for 6 more months. I am now 95% healed from that. Stress will sometime trigger a bit of jerking, but that's it. The brian has an amazing ability to heal.

Gardener,

I am so sorry you went through that! I do believe the brain has an amazing ability to heal. I know I will heal. I just future trip about having longer damage than others because I was on it for so long. I can't believe that is causes such problems after 6 months. I will just focus on the now and go at a very slow taper and hope for the best. I like to think that if I taper really slowly I will not develop PAWS. I just posted some DBT links on your blog. Thank you!

XO Maya

Butterfly,

That's so great that you meditate! So helpful! I'm sorry you are having a hard time and I hope you feel better! I will let others with more knowledge help you.

XO Maya

Maya you too!!! Thankfully I started in college in yoga classes but never took it serious until last few years. It has saved my marriage and it is getting  me through a lot of migraines! Wish I had used it instead of k, but gld that I know better now.  :thumbsup:

Butterfly,

Even better you do yoga, as well. When I tapered from 6mg to 4mg I took a yoga class at least twice a week and it was wonderful. I really need to start again. I'm glad it has helped you so much! I wish I had just done DBT earlier and then done EMDR therapy. I didn't need klonopin. I'm glad we both know better now!

XO Maya

Maya, was it you who gave a url where someone could get some kind of workbook for DBT? Also, if it WAS you, do you think that the workbook would be beneficial for me? I'm having a mess of a time due to some other issues (probably a result of the multi-decade use of K). Can't sleep, am miserably hot all night and most of the day (andropause??), nervous, etc.

Thanks!

Jeff

Hi Jeff  :thumbsup: I'm post menopausal and before I knew I was in tolerance WD, kindling and all the rest of the crap which is ALL WD anyway no matter how you dress it up, I thought certain symptoms were Menopause part 2 as their EXACTLY the same as my Menopause sxs. I still get them now along with a shopping list of sxs ::)  I hope it eases up for you soon, I use sleep talk down meditation on youtube it helps and following  the voice instructions help distraction as well.  I find 'The Honest Guy's'' and a guy named ''Jason Stephenson' good and ''Sleep Eazy'' all on youtube :)

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Yes, I've developed a passion for tapering...too late for me, but still it has been very therapeutic.  I just wish it would end.  It is almost like there are two types of symptoms: shorter more reversible (maybe this is GABA receptor shortage?) and longer term damage that may be to do with glutamate receptors.  At least this is what I got out of those great research posts by Perseverance. This is why I think there is a time limit when we get too far ahead of healing: the longer term damage takes a while to set up and occur so if we cut too big there is a period of time to correct it, but it does eventually expire.

Could you link those those posts for me? I have no recollection of them.

Go to Chewing the Fat.  Most of them are stickies at the top of that section, although there are other threads elsewhere too.  She was prolific and productive during her time here.  Fantastic service to the forum.

I just found this thread and did just a bit of reading as i am having some eye issues.

I started out with the cut and hold but it was hard i was on 4mg of k for 28 yrs..and in tolerance for most of them so lost out on most of my life now at 56.

But now I am micro tapering thanks to the help of SG..he was great and also Intend..they both got me going with the scales and Sg would help me do the math..which i am still no good at..

I asked a question on the k thread but thought i would ask here..i have saved all my pieces and crumbs from when i have cut my pills and now i need a half of a 1mg and a piece..can i use a saved piece i know they say on the bottle they expire after a yr..so how would i know in the bottle which ones were fresh or which ones were older.. i have been tapering a yr last june but just started the 1 mgs this yr sometime..and do you think the consistency of the k in the pieces would make a difference since not cut from the same pill?

thanks so much in advance for any advice :)

and hope all has a wonderful day full of windows

deep

SG ..bennie said maybe you could help me with this..i have been cutting .001 off my 1mg tab every other day alternating doses..i dose 3 times a day..at  .120 .121 .120..i am told with the average weight being .170 i am at 2.1mg of k..

I was wanting to try and taper .001 everyday alternating doses but she advised me asking you cause it might be a bit much for me..and i dont want to screw up my taper so would really appreciate your input..and also the input as to the crumbs being used along with 1/2 of a new tablet for my cuts..

thanks

deep

SG ..bennie said maybe you could help me with this..i have been cutting .001 off my 1mg tab every other day alternating doses..i dose 3 times a day..at  .120 .121 .120..i am told with the average weight being .170 i am at 2.1mg of k..

I was wanting to try and taper .001 everyday alternating doses but she advised me asking you cause it might be a bit much for me..and i dont want to screw up my taper so would really appreciate your input..and also the input as to the crumbs being used along with 1/2 of a new tablet for my cuts..

thanks

deep

Hi Deep,

You are using 1mg K pills so .001g is ~.006mg and cutting every other day is similar to a .003mg daily cut.  That is .090mg a month, which is 4.3% a month.  That's quite conservative, but how do you feel?  Most people could double that, but what matters is how you feel.

If you feel you can do more I would not just jump directly to .001g every day.  That is too much.  Instead what you could do is inch it up by adding in an extra cut day to get close to a .004mg average rate.  Cutting a C/C/H pattern would be about right...in other words cutting two days and holding one would give you a ~.004mg rate.  This is the one I would test...I'd give it a few weeks to see how it affects you.

As for the crumbs, I don't see a problem as long as you are sure they are crumbs from 1mg pills and not your old 2mg pills, although I guess if they were from 2mg pills that would be an updose rather than shorting you, which is the better case.  Maybe others have an opinion or experience with old pills, but I'd think pills are pretty stable long term.

Yes, I've developed a passion for tapering...too late for me, but still it has been very therapeutic.  I just wish it would end.  It is almost like there are two types of symptoms: shorter more reversible (maybe this is GABA receptor shortage?) and longer term damage that may be to do with glutamate receptors.  At least this is what I got out of those great research posts by Perseverance. This is why I think there is a time limit when we get too far ahead of healing: the longer term damage takes a while to set up and occur so if we cut too big there is a period of time to correct it, but it does eventually expire.

Could you link those those posts for me? I have no recollection of them.

Go to Chewing the Fat.  Most of them are stickies at the top of that section, although there are other threads elsewhere too.  She was prolific and productive during her time here.  Fantastic service to the forum.

Thanks! I love stickies. So easy to find!

SG

Thanks so much for getting back to me as i have been looking for a way to speed things up..well i am still having the eye issues..and have lost my get up and go but after all the stress from july from losing my son and my mom..i  took a month off from tapering but am back at it now..and i just was wanting to step it up a notch..

I will try your cut 2 days and hold one day and see how that goes for a couple weeks starting tomorrow and then if that works i will try to do everyday and hold maybe once a week..cause to me i am still at a high dose and not below the seizure threshold as yet and thats the only thing that scares me to say the least.

I go to my primary tomorrow and i am going to have him do some labs to make sure my d or my b-12 isnt low as for the lack of energy altho i read alot of people have energy problems as they taper and not sure theres anything to do about that one..

thanks again for your help :)

deep

SG

Thanks so much for getting back to me as i have been looking for a way to speed things up..well i am still having the eye issues..and have lost my get up and go but after all the stress from july from losing my son and my mom..i  took a month off from tapering but am back at it now..and i just was wanting to step it up a notch..

I will try your cut 2 days and hold one day and see how that goes for a couple weeks starting tomorrow and then if that works i will try to do everyday and hold maybe once a week..cause to me i am still at a high dose and not below the seizure threshold as yet and thats the only thing that scares me to say the least.

I go to my primary tomorrow and i am going to have him do some labs to make sure my d or my b-12 isnt low as for the lack of energy altho i read alot of people have energy problems as they taper and not sure theres anything to do about that one..

thanks again for your help :)

deep

The month break will pay off I'll bet.  If you are going to speed it up I'd do it gradually, testing each step along the way.  Right now you are cutting .003mg/day and cutting .001g every day would be .006mg, so think of the in between steps as .004 and .005 on the way to .006mg.  If .004mg works out I'd go to .005mg next which would be cutting four, holding one.

Wondering if any people finished or at a low dose MTing could give me some advice.

I was tapering way, way too fast in May when I hit my wall and had to up dose a bit and then hold and hang on for dear life. I ended up doing a partial cross to Librium and then MTing. I was reducing my 5% dilution at .08/day but was too symptomatic. I slowed to .06 and did OK for a couple of days but am getting really symptomatic again.

I looked at my daily total and realized that I am about to cross that magic line I crossed in May where I fell apart. Is there such a thing as a "magic line" that is going to be hard to get under or is it all about rate of taper? BTW, I hit the wall when I dipped slightly below 1mgX/day and I am at that today (if I did my math right).

I'm functioning but am not able to do what I want to do and make plans because I'm too anxious that I won't be able to follow through because I'm jittery or sad most of the time. Not horrible, just not something I think I can handle long term and have a life.

Gardener,

I am MTing but doing dry cutting. When I hit the wall I just had to slow my rate of taper. I usually do not cut at time of my cycle either, because it makes sxs worse. I've accepted that super slow is the  way for me to go. Because I have gone from having mostly 70/30 days (good/sxs) to many 90/10 days. I feel like I am starting to live the future I've been wishing for—with exception of my gut. When and if that gets better, it'll be a cherry on top. You can see where I am in my sig.

Hang in there, keep faith in the process.

Bennie

Wondering if any people finished or at a low dose MTing could give me some advice.

I was tapering way, way too fast in May when I hit my wall and had to up dose a bit and then hold and hang on for dear life. I ended up doing a partial cross to Librium and then MTing. I was reducing my 5% dilution at .08/day but was too symptomatic. I slowed to .06 and did OK for a couple of days but am getting really symptomatic again.

I looked at my daily total and realized that I am about to cross that magic line I crossed in May where I fell apart. Is there such a thing as a "magic line" that is going to be hard to get under or is it all about rate of taper? BTW, I hit the wall when I dipped slightly below 1mgX/day and I am at that today (if I did my math right).

I'm functioning but am not able to do what I want to do and make plans because I'm too anxious that I won't be able to follow through because I'm jittery or sad most of the time. Not horrible, just not something I think I can handle long term and have a life.

Uh, well...probably both.  I had one reallyy difficult point in my taper (3.5mg and had to both hold and updose.

But the good news is, that "magic line" also seems to be the point where you begin to break your dependence.  Once I got through that level, my taper became a piece of cake.  I had absolutely no problems after that, and eventually was able to actually increase my taper rate, then jump at .5.

And to me, that makes perfect sense.  I think we all have a dose level where the really no longer has much effect, and thus no longer really are affected by WD.  I'm not suggesting I could of jumped at 3 mg, but I certainly no longer experienced any WD sxs.

Uh, well...probably both.  I had one reallyy difficult point in my taper (3.5mg and had to both hold and updose.

But the good news is, that "magic line" also seems to be the point where you begin to break your dependence.  Once I got through that level, my taper became a piece of cake.  I had absolutely no problems after that, and eventually was able to actually increase my taper rate, then jump at .5.

And to me, that makes perfect sense.  I think we all have a dose level where the really no longer has much effect, and thus no longer really are affected by WD.  I'm not suggesting I could of jumped at 3 mg, but I certainly no longer experienced any WD sxs.

Thank you builder. This post makes a lot of sense and I really needed it today. Perfect timing. Thank you.

Gardener,

I am MTing but doing dry cutting. When I hit the wall I just had to slow my rate of taper. I usually do not cut at time of my cycle either, because it makes sxs worse. I've accepted that super slow is the  way for me to go. Because I have gone from having mostly 70/30 days (good/sxs) to many 90/10 days. I feel like I am starting to live the future I've been wishing for—with exception of my gut. When and if that gets better, it'll be a cherry on top. You can see where I am in my sig.

Bennie

Thanks, Bennie! Looking forward to some 70/30's!! That was what I was like early on in my taper. Ah, the good old days! :crazy:  :laugh:

I hope that is true for me. I hit a hard time when I got to 3.5mg of klonopin. I once was on 8mg. It really surprised me because tapering had been so easy for me in the past. I am near 3.5mg again. This gives me hope!

[e3...]

Gardener,

Great question. I am at that same point, the wall.

Hang in there! 

You are incredibly strong, focused, always trying to move forward, encouraging and supportive to all.

This "wall" can be defeated. Will be defeated! 

Hugs to you,

Marija 🌺

[e3...]

Gardener,

Bennie

90/10 sounds wonderful.

Planning and thinking of the future sounds delightful!

Happy for you, Bennie.

Marija.

Gardener,

Bennie

90/10 sounds wonderful.

Planning and thinking of the future sounds delightful!

Happy for you, Bennie.

Marija.

The future is NOW. I know I will still hit bumps, but things are looking good.  :thumbsup:

Wishing everyone 70/30 and better!

Bennie

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Le...]
    • [Ch...]
    • [...]
    • [...]
    • [bi...]
    • [Co...]
    • [...]
    • [jo...]
    • [PE...]