Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

Hopeful, oreginkatz, and gardener,

I am sorry it is taking you longer to get off than the time you were on it. That is crazy! There is a DBT skill where you compare your life to others to feel better. I know it sounds kinda weird, never my most used DBT skill. I'm grateful you all realized earlier on that you needed to get off. I was put on klonopin at 18 and didn't realize it was harmful to me until 12 years later. I hope everyone is having a good night! 

XO Maya

I'm sorry you started so young and took K for so long. You were just a kid when you got on it! But you are fortunate to be so young when you are getting off of your benzo. Your brain and body have a lot of youthful healing power, still!

:smitten:

Hopeful Mom, you are so right!

I was on 1.5 mgs of Ativan for 6 months . . . couldn't do a fast taper off it . . . then found this site and crossed over to valium. Two years (and many tapering mistakes) later I am almost off.

It makes no sense!

Okatz

I'm just starting and will be lucky to get off in 1 1/2 years.  You give me hope, Katz! :smitten:

Yeah, well it's all a crapshoot at this point. I think I have the info I need: it's a choice of poke along now with some ease and the hope that I'll feel better when off— or move along feeling crappy and sit in crappiness for a while after. The only problem with either choice is that the outcome of either approach is not guaranteed given my specific health issue. Gut problems prompted the panic attacks and now the gut issues have returned. I could argue that the sooner I'm off, the sooner my gut has a chance to stop being reactive and harmed by K... My taper rate has been mostly .0029 mg every other day until recently when I started cutting every fourth day. It's a very conservative rate. I'm way low so I don't expect to be feeling wonderbar any way I cut it.

You're right. It's a crapshoot but I'm still jealous that you are so close to the end! And happy for out, too! :D

Funny how it goes, gardener. I am jealous of people who are at .0625 mg! You'll get here too!

Maya,

I think I'm using the DBT comparison tool backwards. I'm supposed to be appreciative I'm not on 20 mg K.  :o

SG57, thanks for clarifying. Your always a big help. Much appreciate you!

Bennie

OK, somebody please come over to my blog (Seeds of Inspiration) and explain the DBT comparison tool! I've never done DBT, but have been curious about it for a long time.

This kat is holding. Seems that even with the m/t... you really do need to be aware that symptoms can catch up on you and put you in a really bad spot... woke up this early 2 am with burning skin, shaking, nausea, tremors, and starving... it's going to take a lot of patience, but this really should be a 2 week hold at least... considering school is coming up and I'm continuing to work. (would not have been possible with cut/hold)

10% seems to be the threshold per month that I can handle now... I hope that changes (it'll have to as I get lower in dose)...

.. anywho, hope y'all are sticking tough. This is a crazy ride.  :smitten:

You are so right about that dpier! Hold when needed. Go slowly. Do life.

Ok I'm on 15mg Valium and a bit of Xanax that I'm still struggling with. It's been 11 days since making a little .0625 cut to the Xanax. At first I felt ok, but then started feeling pretty bad one week out. I had planned to cut my final .25mg pill by .0625 cuts every 10 days, but it doesn't look like my body is going to cooperate. I really don't want to cut and hold for two months with every .0625 cut feeling horrible so I'm considering liquid daily titration of the remaining .1875mg of Xanax. At least if I'm reducing something every day I would feel like I'm actually making progress and maybe won't feel as bad as I do now.

How would one go about doing a daily liquid titration starting from .1875 mg? My brain fogs over just thinking about titration plans in general.

BUMP

Can't help you out here. Liquid titration not my forte, but maybe someone else will jump in. Anyone?

Ok I'm on 15mg Valium and a bit of Xanax that I'm still struggling with. It's been 11 days since making a little .0625 cut to the Xanax. At first I felt ok, but then started feeling pretty bad one week out. I had planned to cut my final .25mg pill by .0625 cuts every 10 days, but it doesn't look like my body is going to cooperate. I really don't want to cut and hold for two months with every .0625 cut feeling horrible so I'm considering liquid daily titration of the remaining .1875mg of Xanax. At least if I'm reducing something every day I would feel like I'm actually making progress and maybe won't feel as bad as I do now.

How would one go about doing a daily liquid titration starting from .1875 mg? My brain fogs over just thinking about titration plans in general.

BUMP

Can't help you out here. Liquid titration not my forte, but maybe someone else will jump in. Anyone?

Well, to start you off, Xanax comes as a liquid called alprazolam intensol (by Roxane) that already has water in it and can be further diluted with just water. 1 ml intensol = 1 mg Xanax. That's what I use to titrate. And then I dilute it to 5% strength. I bought a graduated cylinder on amazon. I put 95 ml of water and 5ml of alprazolam intensol into the cylinder.  (I measure those 5ml of intensol one ml at a time with an oral syringe rather than try to pour it out of the bottle.) I then pour my diluted solution into a glass bottle with a lid and keep it in a dark place at room temperature. It's been OK for over a week that way. I use an oral syringe to measure my doses.

Oh, I almost forgot the most important step! I asked the math gurus to figure out my dilution and what my daily doses would be because I, too, am in a benzo brain fog!

If you can't get the liquid, the gurus will help you to figure out how to dissolve your tablets and make a solution that way. You will need to be able to mix and measure. Here's a link to my progress log. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=137858.0 Go to page 2 and you'll see my supplies list of what I use for mixing and measuring and storing my solution.

Think about supplies and whether or not you can get the intensol form of the Xanax. (Let us know if you can or can't.) And wait for a math/chemistry guru to figure out the measurements for you. With their help, you will be able to do this.  :thumbsup:

I am sorry it is taking you longer to get off than the time you were on it. That is crazy! There is a DBT skill where you compare your life to others to feel better. I know it sounds kinda weird, never my most used DBT skill. I'm grateful you all realized earlier on that you needed to get off. I was put on klonopin at 18 and didn't realize it was harmful to me until 12 years later. I hope everyone is having a good night! 

XO Maya

I'm sorry you started so young and took K for so long. You were just a kid when you got on it! But you are fortunate to be so young when you are getting off of your benzo. Your brain and body have a lot of youthful healing power, still!

Thank you! I feel it stole a lot of my 20's. Turning 30 was hard. I am not where I imagined myself, but I will get there...just later than planned.

DBT saved my life! I wish I had just done DBT and EMDR therapy. I would never have needed klonopin. I would be happy to tell you anything you like about it. Comparison is just one tool and not one if most used. There are so many! I also do some CBT with my therapist now. I hope you are getting to see your therapist more now that summer is almost over. I will definitely come over to your blog soon and write about DBT. I also still need to share my story and posts pics of cat. I am very behind! I have been reading your blog and I think everything you are doing is amazing. You are very inspiring! Also I need to go to the gratitude thread that is such a nice idea! I hope you have a great weekend!

XO Maya  :smitten:

BUMP

Well, to start you off, Xanax comes as a liquid called alprazolam intensol (by Roxane) that already has water in it and can be further diluted with just water. 1 ml intensol = 1 mg Xanax. That's what I use to titrate. And then I dilute it to 5% strength. I bought a graduated cylinder on amazon. I put 95 ml of water and 5ml of alprazolam intensol into the cylinder.  (I measure those 5ml of intensol one ml at a time with an oral syringe rather than try to pour it out of the bottle.) I then pour my diluted solution into a glass bottle with a lid and keep it in a dark place at room temperature. It's been OK for over a week that way. I use an oral syringe to measure my doses.

Oh, I almost forgot the most important step! I asked the math gurus to figure out my dilution and what my daily doses would be because I, too, am in a benzo brain fog!

If you can't get the liquid, the gurus will help you to figure out how to dissolve your tablets and make a solution that way. You will need to be able to mix and measure. Here's a link to my progress log. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=137858.0 Go to page 2 and you'll see my supplies list of what I use for mixing and measuring and storing my solution.

Think about supplies and whether or not you can get the intensol form of the Xanax. (Let us know if you can or can't.) And wait for a math/chemistry guru to figure out the measurements for you. With their help, you will be able to do this.  :thumbsup:

Thanks!! I will check out the liquid Xanax.

XO Maya

Thank you! I feel it stole a lot of my 20's. Turning 30 was hard. I am not where I imagined myself, but I will get there...just later than planned.

DBT saved my life! I wish I had just done DBT and EMDR therapy. I would never have needed klonopin. I would be happy to tell you anything you like about it. Comparison is just one tool and not one if most used. There are so many! I also do some CBT with my therapist now. I hope you are getting to see your therapist more now that summer is almost over. I will definitely come over to your blog soon and write about DBT. I also still need to share my story and posts pics of cat. I am very behind! I have been reading your blog and I think everything you are doing is amazing. You are very inspiring! Also I need to go to the gratitude thread that is such a nice idea! I hope you have a great weekend!

XO Maya  :smitten:

Please do come over to my blog to chat! I was a bit quiet for a couple of days over there because I needed to get my 3D feet under me. Feeling better now that I've reconnected with some 3D people and gotten out and about a bit :)

BUMP

Thanks!! I will check out the liquid Xanax.

If you can get that, it will make your diluting easier. I feel almost guilty for having the easiest dilution method ever. (Of course, when I dilute Librium I will have one of the hardest dilutions, so I guess I should be just enjoying this!) The instructions on the alprazolam will tell you if you dilute it you must consume it immediately and not to store it in any other container or use anything but their slippery and difficult dropper to measure it, blah, blah, blah. Had a big discussion about this with couple of our chemistry gurus who convinced me that wasn't true. Even my pharmacist gave me an oral syringe to use instead of the annoying enclosed dropper.

Chemistry gurus were right. I've had no trouble with my method and my psych knows I'm doing it and has no worries about it either. My biggest problem is being clumsy and knocking things over. Solved that by having my kids (college) dilute it for me. :)

Yeah, well it's all a crapshoot at this point. I think I have the info I need: it's a choice of poke along now with some ease and the hope that I'll feel better when off— or move along feeling crappy and sit in crappiness for a while after. The only problem with either choice is that the outcome of either approach is not guaranteed given my specific health issue. Gut problems prompted the panic attacks and now the gut issues have returned. I could argue that the sooner I'm off, the sooner my gut has a chance to stop being reactive and harmed by K... My taper rate has been mostly .0029 mg every other day until recently when I started cutting every fourth day. It's a very conservative rate. I'm way low so I don't expect to be feeling wonderbar any way I cut it.

You're right. It's a crapshoot but I'm still jealous that you are so close to the end! And happy for out, too! :D

Funny how it goes, gardener. I am jealous of people who are at .0625 mg! You'll get here too!

Maya,

I think I'm using the DBT comparison tool backwards. I'm supposed to be appreciative I'm not on 20 mg K.  :o

SG57, thanks for clarifying. Your always a big help. Much appreciate you!

Bennie

OK, somebody please come over to my blog (Seeds of Inspiration) and explain the DBT comparison tool! I've never done DBT, but have been curious about it for a long time.

:)

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=137928.msg1888732#msg1888732

XO Maya

Forgive me...what's "DBT"? (Any used brains for sale out there? Apparently I need one)

Jeff

XO Maya

Forgive me...what's "DBT"? (Any used brains for sale out there? Apparently I need one)

Jeff

Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, it's a type of psychotherapy used a lot to treat borderline personality disorder or other psychiatric conditions where there is emotional dysregulation.

XO Maya

Jeff

You can't have mine! (You wouldn't want it anyway.)

XO Maya

Jeff

Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, it's a type of psychotherapy used a lot to treat borderline personality disorder or other psychiatric conditions where there is emotional dysregulation.

And if there is one thing that I am having all through benzo withdrawal it is emotional dysregulation! :o

Dialectical behavioral therapy is used to treat many things now like substance abuse, eating disorders etc. it has been very helpful for my anxiety and PTSD symptoms. It combines CBT, dialectical thinking, and mindfulness. I will go into more on gardeners blog later or if anyone else is interested. IMO It really teaces skills that would be helpful to anyone. It would definitely be helpful for coping with tapering off benzos. I hope everyone has helpful coping skills for when things get tough!

XO Maya

Dialectical behavioral therapy is used to treat many things now like substance abuse, eating disorders etc. it has been very helpful for my anxiety and PTSD symptoms. It combines CBT, dialectical thinking, and mindfulness. I will go into more on gardeners blog later or if anyone else is interested. IMO It really teaces skills that would be helpful to anyone. It would definitely be helpful for coping with tapering off benzos. I hope everyone has helpful coping skills for when things get tough!

XO Maya

Thanks, Maya! This sounds very cool.  :smitten: Especially if you explain it in little, easy-to-understand pieces! ;)

Okay after taking clonazepam 3 mg for four months , i tapered it off in 15 days inducing withdrawal affects then i was put on parexotine 12.5 mg and clonazepam 0.25 mg by another psychiatrist , i took this meds for 30 days with on n off diarrhea ,however i presumed it was clonazepam causing diarrhea ,whenever i missed the dose , diarrhea was alleviated , now my new psychiatrist put me on fluexotine 20 mg and etizolam 0.25mg as etizolam is from benzo group , now diarrhea has been worse for last ten days and i think its etizolam causing diarrhea, should i stop it? however these two meds were alleviating my head stiffnes and spinning symptoms on other hand causing diarrhea according to me . i had been taking imodium for diarrhea for two days but that only stops watery stools not ther abdominal ache or infection in stomach , any suggestions?

buddies,

Have been pm-ing with Djd, who is having a beard time figuring out how to find back posts, and so she has agreed I can post her story for her.

I'm asking to please take a moment to read through this post...Sharkey, SG, Builder?

She is having a very hard time comprehending it all, due to severe be so brain.

At this list it comes down to figuring out a taper schedule for her, for which I'd like to ask for help here.

She will be doing the vodka titration method, since her doctor won't let her have liquid Valium .

For now, my advice was to hold for a good while and let the up, down, Left, right, settle and then start a micro taper.

Like I said, cog fog is bad and she is feeling awful.

I'd say at this point , hold...then start small cuts. And if that works out and is tolerable maybe up the taper rate eventually , since the dose is still fairly high.

Here is a pm to me, from her. Posted here with permission .

I was on Xanax between 1.5-2 mg per day when I decided time to go off this past spring.  My doctor told me " just cut back a little at t a time ". No taper pllan.  She is the one who had me on it for over two years.  I'd asked her about it in the past, dumb me didn't research - and she assured me it was no problem to get off.  I had no idea.  When I found out how hard it was I started researching and since I was so inconsistent with my dosing of Xanax and having bad withdrawals I asked her to let me to do the Ashton taper which she was agreeable. 

I tapered over to diazepam in like a week -in mid may -  too too fast, I know ( impatient ) but I felt fine, really good and ready to start my taper.  So I did.  And once again, due to impatience and somehow thinking I'd be different , I immediately cut ten mcr of the Valium and crashed big time two weeks later and have been unstable ever since. 

She put me back up to 30 ( I am using pills, not liquid) , I still was terribly unstable and we both decided I should see a psychiatrist.  He tried to stabilize me by pushing me up to 40 mcr.of Valium - big mistake of course because it didn't stabilize me and now I have more to go off of.

He gave me gabapentin to help and it did ( does ) help a little but I am in bad shape.  I wanted to get down to 30 as soon as I could because I just couldn't stand the thought of this whole thing and I was so sleepy and sick from the mess.

So I did mange to get down to 32.5 where I am now.  I started tapering around the beginning of July.  I am so sick I don't think I can or should taper right now.  My doctor is letting me set my pace but he won't do the liquid Valium,  so I have been eyeballing the pills and doing cuts that way which is very inconsistent.  I have re about liquid titrating and would like to try that but it seems so complicated - mortars, pestles, scales etc.  can't I just dissolve ten ml. Pill in ten mls water or milk and just use a syringe to take a little out?  I don't understand the whole liquid titration thing and I'm so impaired right now that I cannot figure out ANYTHING. 

I guessing that I should hold here for a while until I feel a little better.  I'd really like a consistent way of tapering but my doctor is not much help and I cannot find a benzo specialist and I'm on Medicaid anyway.  The Thoth of having to go to a psychiatric ward terrifies me but sometime I wonder if they would be able to help me.  But I know I won't go because the only one that Medicaid pays for is so far away and I'm afraid of what they would do to me.  Oh moodle I just don't know WHAT to do.  This is hell on earth.  And it didn't have to be.  I blew it from the beginning when I started my taper and now I'm bearing the consequence and it's so awful.  I am basically bed bound.  I can barely get anything done - even showering , making a meal.  Is there anyway you can tell me how this liquid titration works? A simple way?

I think the only way I can manage this taper is by micro tapering.  As it is now, I take ( pills) 10 mcr. At 10am, another 10 at 2 pm , another 10 at 5 pm - because this is the way my withdrawal symptoms have played out - and this is how the doctor told me to do it - take the mess when I'm feeling like I'm withdrawing .  ( and that's most of the time, it's awful). I don't know how to get straightened out and there is no one to help me.  I take 300 mcg. Gabapentin sometimes to help but am trying not to have to use that.  I DONT WANT TO B ON THESE PILLS! 

Thank you AGAING and again for your time and encouragement. And it was Blake, not Matt.

What can I do about making the liquid if my doc won't prescribe liquid.  He doesn't seem to know how horrible this is and I was put on Zoloft and it's not helping and I don't want to be on that either.  I am one big mess.  I appreciate ANY help you can give me THANK YOU, THA K YOU, Moodle.  If you CAN help me make a plan I would be so appreciative.

Best to you, bless you,

Ps I did read " what's happening to your brain". And it's sickening but I needed to know.  So so scary and I cannot believe this happened to me.   

Oh and my last cut was about .05 and I did it over the last two weeks and I'm sick now.  Can't eat, so sick can't get up and do anything can't think.  I think I answered yr questions?  Thank you again.

Jan

Ps. I'm copying and linking any reply to her here through he pm system since it's very challenging for her to find posts back and how to reply. At times she manages but we agreed to do this till she knows how.

Thanks so much for any word of hope and advice to Djd :smitten:

Those out there. I believe I will be ditching pill shaving for the liquid + pill combination.... or ALL liquid once I get to 1-2mg of Valium.. (There doesn't seem any logical reason in hell why I should be suffering as badly as I am... I feel like I'm completely non functional, and I've been cutting at a .5mg/month pace with micro-cutting)

.. Is there a consensus as to why people suffer withdrawal when switching to liquid valium? My guess is the much quicker absorption rate into the blood stream and different route of delivery?

Also, anyone who's used the Rx Roxana Liquid Valium, if you could chime in, that'd be amazing. Thank you.

Those out there. I believe I will be ditching pill shaving for the liquid + pill combination.... or ALL liquid once I get to 1-2mg of Valium.. (There doesn't seem any logical reason in hell why I should be suffering as badly as I am... I feel like I'm completely non functional, and I've been cutting at a .5mg/month pace with micro-cutting)

.. Is there a consensus as to why people suffer withdrawal when switching to liquid valium? My guess is the much quicker absorption rate into the blood stream and different route of delivery?

Also, anyone who's used the Rx Roxana Liquid Valium, if you could chime in, that'd be amazing. Thank you.

That's my guess too.

Some don't have any problems with transitioning to liquid. It Is the same amount of active ingredient. So to me, that's the only explanation together with maybe time of dose, around meal times?

Hey Moo :)

So you'd been substituting the 1/4th pill for the liquid correct? ... and you said it was rough.. (I know I've asked this a thousand times and hit on the topic a million times.. it's embarrassing asking again)... was it as rough as one of your larger cuts before you discovered the liquid titration? I'm willing to wait this out at this point... my future depends on it.

Thanks again for your help.

Okay after taking clonazepam 3 mg for four months , i tapered it off in 15 days inducing withdrawal affects then i was put on parexotine 12.5 mg and clonazepam 0.25 mg by another psychiatrist , …i think its etizolam… should i stop it?… any suggestions?

I see you are posting this multiple places. It really doesn't belong here. I suggest you post on and wait for a response from an appropriate forum, for example:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=60.0

or

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=145.0

Hey Moo :)

So you'd been substituting the 1/4th pill for the liquid correct? ... and you said it was rough.. (I know I've asked this a thousand times and hit on the topic a million times.. it's embarrassing asking again)... was it as rough as one of your larger cuts before you discovered the liquid titration? I'm willing to wait this out at this point... my future depends on it.

Thanks again for your help.

Don't be embarrassed, okay? That's not necessary. When we feel bad, we look for answers in anything and our plans to be confirmed. It's hard when you don't know what to do . I know.

Yes, I replace 0.5 mgr of one dose with liquid. Then I cut off of that. Then do the same for my next dose when I've reduced the 0.5 to zero.

Do you mean if the transition was as rough as one of my larger cuts?

If so, the answer is no. And it also didn't take as long to recover from it, because I did feel it. But not as bad as a cut in cut and hold.

I think I waited ten days on 0.5 liquid and then I started tapering ( I only waited ten days the first time I started liquid. Not each time , of course. Just FYI)

If I were you I'd hold for now a little bit longer. And then , if you decide to titrate, hold a bit more after switching. You seem to be sensitive to change as well, like me.

Then just start a conservative cut on liquid and see how it goes. Maybe 0.5 every three weeks or so is what I did on your dose. But I'm not you.

If you could distract yourself as much as possible and try to avoid OCD feelings about it ( easier said than done, I know ) it would be awesome. Because it's easy to watch yourself like a hawk all day focusing on how miserable you are.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [...]
    • [Fi...]
    • [ra...]
    • [jo...]
    • [An...]
    • [Ki...]
    • [hu...]
    • [...]
    • [Ch...]
    • [bi...]