Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

Hi, At .5mg K I would suggest beginning with a rate of .0015mg per day.  If you have a scale and a .5mg pill you can't do that so you would need to cut .001g (.003mg) every other day.  If you want to be a bit more careful you can cut .001g every three days (.001mg/day).  Test the cut for a few weeks to make sure it is a symptom-free cut.  Then you can consider a bit higher.

SG, thank you!!

I will cut .001g every three days and see how I do for a few weeks. Another question... I am not really feeling 100% great right now but I can certainly function day to day. I have been holding my last 10% cut for 10 days. Do you recommend i wait and feel better, or just get on with micro tapering?

I think if you feel you are still getting something out of holding I'd keep holding.  Ten days is not much for a 10% cut.  OTOH, I don't think you need to be 100% to begin cutting again.  I think you can get those symptoms to fade while you cut, if you cut at a proper rate.  It's hard for me to judge.

SG,

Thanks so much! I have a trip coming up so will hold until the trip is over then start the MT next week. I'm eager to get off the K cause I believe the fatigue and whatnot that it causes is causing my depression to be worse. Thanks again for your valuable help.

We will both start our micro tapers next month, thanks to SG :) He is amazing! I know tolerance wd caused my depression and fatigue. I'm excited for both of us!  :smitten:

Hi SG

Pill is .5 and it weighs .170grams. I think I am at .41mg daily

Lois

Yes, I get the same thing.  You may be able to handle reducing .001g per day at your dose, but you also may not: it's fairly big.  So I would not begin there if it were me.  What I would do is begin at half that, cutting .001g (~.003mg) every other day...effectively .0015mg per day.  Establish that as a valid cut first by testing it for a few weeks.  If all is well (no symptom increase) I'd next move to reducing .001g (~.003mg) in a C/C/H pattern (which approximates a .002mg daily cut)...in other words cut twice, hold once.

SG thanks so much.  I will give this a try and see how things go.

Lois

SG one thing more if I cut every other day when would I hold?

Lois

Hi, At .5mg K I would suggest beginning with a rate of .0015mg per day.  If you have a scale and a .5mg pill you can't do that so you would need to cut .001g (.003mg) every other day.  If you want to be a bit more careful you can cut .001g every three days (.001mg/day).  Test the cut for a few weeks to make sure it is a symptom-free cut.  Then you can consider a bit higher.

SG, thank you!!

I will cut .001g every three days and see how I do for a few weeks. Another question... I am not really feeling 100% great right now but I can certainly function day to day. I have been holding my last 10% cut for 10 days. Do you recommend i wait and feel better, or just get on with micro tapering?

I think if you feel you are still getting something out of holding I'd keep holding.  Ten days is not much for a 10% cut.  OTOH, I don't think you need to be 100% to begin cutting again.  I think you can get those symptoms to fade while you cut, if you cut at a proper rate.  It's hard for me to judge.

SG,

Thanks so much! I have a trip coming up so will hold until the trip is over then start the MT next week. I'm eager to get off the K cause I believe the fatigue and whatnot that it causes is causing my depression to be worse. Thanks again for your valuable help.

We will both start our micro tapers next month, thanks to SG :) He is amazing! I know tolerance wd caused my depression and fatigue. I'm excited for both of us!  :smitten:

Maya, Yay!! I can't wait to get this out of my system - the depression is really killin' me. Thankfully the trip im taking will be therapeutic as I'm taking my daughter to the beach in Massachusetts for a few days to visit my parents and I always think of the beach as such a healing place. It will be a good place to "restart" before my MT!! I have a babysitter this afternoon and am signing up at the YMCA so I can start to swim more. Swimming is also therapeutic for me. I hope you're having a great day and get some more sleep tonight!  :)

SG one thing more if I cut every other day when would I hold?

Lois

Every other day.  Cut a day, hold a day.

I get it now sorry for not seeing that.  :crazy:

Lois

I agree that people push themselves too hard. It's understandable, especially with people who have a very low limit as to how much they can taper. Obviously, it is also different for each person. I have come to realize I want to taper right below my limit. I hope to have as little sxs as possible and heal on my way off. I am learning to accept that is will take awhile.

Thanks for this reminder.  :)

You are doing so well! It won't be that much longer for you!  :smitten:

Thanks, Maya. I'm thinking if this goes well it will be at least a year. I think I'll do some math and update my signature. Or maybe it's better not to do the math! ::)

I wouldn't think you had a year left. Even so, that will pass faster than you think and you are doing better and better! Also I imagine the Librium would be easier to get off than the Xanax. I would update your signature. I wouldn't do the math to figure out how long until you're off. I won't even think about how long I think it might take me. I don't think it's positive for me. Also I can't predict at all at this stage. It will take what it needs to. Trying very hard with the acceptance! Also I try to remind myself that I once was on over twice as much klonopin as now. I hope you have a good day!

XO Maya  :smitten:

P.S. I don't know why but my iPad capitalizes benzos

I think I will do some math to figure out how far I've come. With the 5% dilution, I really have no idea what my current dose of X actually is! Then I, too, will be able to see how far I've come.  :)

You should definitely do that. You have come along way! I plan to try liquid after I meet with my pdoc in Oct. I know you did a lot better with liquid than cutting pills. I still have the info you gave me. Thank you!

I unfortunately stopped tapering for awhile. I didn't realize that klonopin was really harming me. Now I know and I will not stop until I'm off!

You go, girl!!

SG, thank you!!

SG,

Maya, Yay!! I can't wait to get this out of my system - the depression is really killin' me. Thankfully the trip im taking will be therapeutic as I'm taking my daughter to the beach in Massachusetts for a few days to visit my parents and I always think of the beach as such a healing place. It will be a good place to "restart" before my MT!! I have a babysitter this afternoon and am signing up at the YMCA so I can start to swim more. Swimming is also therapeutic for me. I hope you're having a great day and get some more sleep tonight!  :)

Hopeful,

Me too! For me it will be awhile. The beach is so healing! It is my favorite place! I have always wished I lived on the beach. I did briefly in LA. I live in MA now. The beaches here are beautiful. I wish a little warmer water, but now is when they will be warmer. I feel as if I've wasted my summer not feeling well, but I remind myself I was healing. I am sure you will have a wonderful vacation! Swimming is therapeutic for me as well. I have been thinking of signing up for the Y. I'm glad you did.  Just woke up from a one hour nap that I didn't plan on taking. I'm groggy and nauseous. Hopefully the day will get better. I hope your day is going better!

I agree that people push themselves too hard. It's understandable, especially with people who have a very low limit as to how much they can taper. Obviously, it is also different for each person. I have come to realize I want to taper right below my limit. I hope to have as little sxs as possible and heal on my way off. I am learning to accept that is will take awhile.

Thanks, Maya. I'm thinking if this goes well it will be at least a year. I think I'll do some math and update my signature. Or maybe it's better not to do the math! ::)

I wouldn't think you had a year left. Even so, that will pass faster than you think and you are doing better and better! Also I imagine the Librium would be easier to get off than the Xanax. I would update your signature. I wouldn't do the math to figure out how long until you're off. I won't even think about how long I think it might take me. I don't think it's positive for me. Also I can't predict at all at this stage. It will take what it needs to. Trying very hard with the acceptance! Also I try to remind myself that I once was on over twice as much klonopin as now. I hope you have a good day!

I think I will do some math to figure out how far I've come. With the 5% dilution, I really have no idea what my current dose of X actually is! Then I, too, will be able to see how far I've come.  :)

You should definitely do that. You have come along way! I plan to try liquid after I meet with my pdoc in Oct. I know you did a lot better with liquid than cutting pills. I still have the info you gave me. Thank you!

I unfortunately stopped tapering for awhile. I didn't realize that klonopin was really harming me. Now I know and I will not stop until I'm off!

You go, girl!!

Thank you, Gardener! Your encouragement, positivity, and determination are very inspiring and helpful!

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hopeful- I would do exactly what SG recommends - start slow and then see how you do.  Without SG's help I would be somewhere climbing the walls right now in benzo he..l. 

NYC - I think what SG said is true and the taper rate solely depends on you.  You start slow and find the rate that works for you. Some people can cut faster than others - for example look at Clona's signature she was able to go down .002 w/o any holds.  I can't do that.    I was able to cut .001 every day for quite awhile  (I started at .0625 to MT) and then had to slow down my rate. I tried holding that didn't work and then I tried cutting .001 every other day and that didn't work either.  I found that if I held every 7 days I felt okay. That worked for me for awhile but then the s/x ramped up.  I now cut every 4 days and hold on day 5 - so again I had to slow my pace down.  For me when I hold my s/x actually get worse not better - I have tried this multiple times, I can only hold when I feel okay, if I don't I have to continue cutting - why I have no idea.  After awhile you learn what works for you.  That is the nice thing about the MT you find a pace, do it and if you run into issues you don't go up you can just slow down.  Listen to your own body and you will be able to determine the pace that works for you.  I truly believe that when we taper slowly we are healing on the way down so to rush off makes no sense to me since your body has to remake all of the chemicals that the drug didn't allow it to make for such a long time and that takes time, at least for those of us on this web site. Others as we know can get off with no problems at all but they are not the ones on BB since they have no need to come here.

NYC - I think what SG said is true and the taper rate solely depends on you.  You start slow and find the rate that works for you. Some people can cut faster than others - for example look at Clona's signature she was able to go down .002 w/o any holds.  I can't do that.    I was able to cut .001 every day for quite awhile  (I started at .0625 to MT) and then had to slow down my rate. I tried holding that didn't work and then I tried cutting .001 every other day and that didn't work either.  I found that if I held every 7 days I felt okay. That worked for me for awhile but then the s/x ramped up.  I now cut every 4 days and hold on day 5 - so again I had to slow my pace down.  For me when I hold my s/x actually get worse not better - I have tried this multiple times, I can only hold when I feel okay, if I don't I have to continue cutting - why I have no idea.  After awhile you learn what works for you.  That is the nice thing about the MT you find a pace, do it and if you run into issues you don't go up you can just slow down.  Listen to your own body and you will be able to determine the pace that works for you.  I truly believe that when we taper slowly we are healing on the way down so to rush off makes no sense to me since your body has to remake all of the chemicals that the drug didn't allow it to make for such a long time and that takes time, at least for those of us on this web site. Others as we know can get off with no problems at all but they are not the ones on BB since they have no need to come here.

this is  really good information to know about while trying to taper -- that even sometimes holding can ramp up s/x and to find the pace that is the best and most comfortable. God, how i wish i knew about this MT as i tried tapering for 9 years without success. so sad, that i didn't know about this. but i will sure keep all of this in mind for when i help someone else who may have a benzo problem, so thanks kgirl! :)

Hey Pretty. You quit 3mg klonopin and 2mg Xanax (and others) COLD TURKEY??!!  I'm realize I'm ignorant here, but...HOW?

Impressive. Just can't understand it.

Jeff

Hey Gardener, I saw you mention something sometime ago about a 5% dilution and a 10% dilution. I'm curious, what were you referring to and what does it mean? To make things simple, I put a 1mg clonazepam tablet in 100ml of water (3ml Vodka and add 97ml water). Is that a particular "dilution"? Sorry for the ignorant question.

Keep on keepin' on!

Jeff

SG, thank you!!

SG,

I'm excited for both of you, too!! Anxiety is the pits, but depression STINKS!! Relief for all is on its way. Faith!

Jeff

Hi all,

Am trying to taper off of .50 klonopin.  Started taking it in March and I am EXTREMELY sensitive to any medications I take (trying to up the dosage of Lamictal and it takes me 2 weeks to go up 12.5mg)  I take .25mg am and .25mg pm and have downloaded the Ashton excel spreadsheet.  I'm reducing using dissolvable pills in water and am measuring out 150ml liquid am and pm and taking out the indicated amount on the spreadsheet (cut in half).  It says from August 21st (when I started) I'm down 5.4% and today am feeling a little nervousness.  Nothing too terrible, but it's the first of the rebound symptoms I've felt. According to the chart I'm deducting 2ml additional to the day before (12,14,16,18 etc. total) and should be done with my taper in January.  Is this too fast?  Tomorrow's line reads:  august 28th, 300ml water, .50g dissolve, toss 18, drink 282, 0.47mg klonopin intake, 6.07% cumulative drop.  What is your opinion on holding here? and how will I know when to continue? or should I keep going?

Any and all advise is appreciated!

Thanks!

Dria

SG, thank you!!

SG,

I'm excited for both of you, too!! Anxiety is the pits, but depression STINKS!! Relief for all is on its way. Faith!

Jeff

Thank, Jeff! It really is. Also I know how to cope with anxiety better because I've had it most of my life. I never had any depression until being on a high dose of klonopin for 6+ years and it was severe depression. I believe it is too! I definitely have faith!

Hi all,

Am trying to taper off of .50 klonopin.  Started taking it in March and I am EXTREMELY sensitive to any medications I take (trying to up the dosage of Lamictal and it takes me 2 weeks to go up 12.5mg)  I take .25mg am and .25mg pm and have downloaded the Ashton excel spreadsheet.  I'm reducing using dissolvable pills in water and am measuring out 150ml liquid am and pm and taking out the indicated amount on the spreadsheet (cut in half).  It says from August 21st (when I started) I'm down 5.4% and today am feeling a little nervousness.  Nothing too terrible, but it's the first of the rebound symptoms I've felt. According to the chart I'm deducting 2ml additional to the day before (12,14,16,18 etc. total) and should be done with my taper in January.  Is this too fast?  Tomorrow's line reads:  august 28th, 300ml water, .50g dissolve, toss 18, drink 282, 0.47mg klonopin intake, 6.07% cumulative drop.  What is your opinion on holding here? and how will I know when to continue? or should I keep going?

Thanks!

Dria

So you were on .5mg K and you liquified with 300ml water.  You cut 2ml a day.  That is a .0033mg cut.  If you are starting to feel symptoms the cut might be too big.  I'd hold until they go away then reduce your cut size so it does not happen again.  You are at a rate of 20% a month...probably too much.  When you begin again you might try 1ml instead of 2ml and go from there.  Don't allow symptom increase.  You can do this with less pain that way and still make good time.

Hi all,

Thanks!

Dria

So you were on .5mg K and you liquified with 300ml water.  You cut 2ml a day.  That is a .0033mg cut.  If you are starting to feel symptoms the cut might be too big.  I'd hold until they go away then reduce your cut size so it does not happen again.  You are at a rate of 20% a month...probably too much.  When you begin again you might try 1ml instead of 2ml and go from there.  Don't allow symptom increase.  You can do this with less pain that way and still make good time.

You're absolutely correct!  20% per month seems like a lot.  Have you heard of anyone going to a 1ml taper and then throwing in 2ml for a couple of days?  some sort of combo of slower and faster?  Thanks so much for your help.  I didn't realize how fast I was going until you pointed it out.....I just plugged numbers into the spreadsheet and went with it -- LOL

You're absolutely correct!  20% per month seems like a lot.  Have you heard of anyone going to a 1ml taper and then throwing in 2ml for a couple of days?  some sort of combo of slower and faster?  Thanks so much for your help.  I didn't realize how fast I was going until you pointed it out.....I just plugged numbers into the spreadsheet and went with it -- LOL

It really is not a good idea to throw in bigger cuts like that.  Test the 1ml cut for a few weeks and if it seems like you can go faster, nudge it up to 1.2ml.

It really is not a good idea to throw in bigger cuts like that.  Test the 1ml cut for a few weeks and if it seems like you can go faster, nudge it up to 1.2ml.

Thank you so much for your help.  I'll do that and see how it goes.....

BTW -- I've seen mentioned that people dissolve their tablets in alcohol.  Can you give any insight to that? or direct me as to where I can find more info?

Thank you so much for your help.  I'll do that and see how it goes.....

BTW -- I've seen mentioned that people dissolve their tablets in alcohol.  Can you give any insight to that? or direct me as to where I can find more info?

Yeah, water will not dissolve K, but if you first dissolve it in a little alcohol (or propylene glycol) and then add the water it will stay dissolved in the water.  3ml is enough and the proof needs to be high.  A slight change from what you are already doing.

Hey Gardener, I saw you mention something sometime ago about a 5% dilution and a 10% dilution. I'm curious, what were you referring to and what does it mean? To make things simple, I put a 1mg clonazepam tablet in 100ml of water (3ml Vodka and add 97ml water). Is that a particular "dilution"? Sorry for the ignorant question.

Keep on keepin' on!

Jeff

I don't need to dissolve my Xanax because it already comes in solution. But it is very strong. I need to dilute it to micro taper. I dilute it to make it weaker. Right now I use 95ml of water plus 5ml(mg) of the liquid Xanax. So the dilution is only 5% the strength of the original medication.

I've been tapering with that. I want to figure out my current taper rate, but I can't get my mind around it. I'm going to post it for the math gurus. ;)

SG, thank you!!

SG,

Jeff

Thank, Jeff! It really is. Also I know how to cope with anxiety better because I've had it most of my life. I never had any depression until being on a high dose of klonopin for 6+ years and it was severe depression. I believe it is too! I definitely have faith!

Thanks, Jeff!! So nice to have the support! :)

Math guru needed!

I am in a confusing place mathematically. I want to know what my monthly taper rate is as of right now.

Current total Xanax 5% dilution (XD) = 10.26ml/day (Original strength was 1mg=1ml. Now diluting 5mlX + 95mlH2O to make 5% dilution.)

Current total Libirum = 25mg/day  (25mgL=.5mgX=10mgXD, right??)

Cutting .06ml XD daily. Considering going to .08ml XD daily cuts, but would like to know what the rate is before trying it.

Not cutting the Librium at all yet. (I intend to taper away the Xanax completely before starting on the Librium.)

What's my monthly taper rate (as percentage of total dose) at .06ml XD cut per day? At .08ml XD/day?

Thanks.

Math guru needed!

I am in a confusing place mathematically. I want to know what my monthly taper rate is as of right now.

Current total Xanax 5% dilution (XD) = 10.26ml/day (Original strength was 1mg=1ml. Now diluting 5mlX + 95mlH2O to make 5% dilution.)

Cutting .06ml XD daily. Considering going to .08ml XD daily cuts, but would like to know what the rate is before trying it.

Not cutting the Librium at all yet. (I intend to taper away the Xanax completely before starting on the Librium.)

What's my monthly taper rate (as percentage of total dose) at .06ml XD cut per day? At .08ml XD/day?

Thanks.

X: .05mg/ml x 10.26ml = .513mg

L: 25mg = .5mg X

Total: 1.013mg X = 50.064mg L

.06ml X cut: .003mg x 30 =.09mg/month, so 8.9%

.08ml X cut: .004mg x 30 = .12mg/month, so 11.8%

Wasn't this your dose a few weeks ago?  Have you been holding all this time?

Math guru needed!

Thanks.

X: .05mg/ml x 10.26ml = .513mg

L: 25mg = .5mg X

Total: 1.013mg X = 50.064mg L

.06ml X cut: .003mg x 30 =.09mg/month, so 8.9%

.08ml X cut: .004mg x 30 = .12mg/month, so 11.8%

Wasn't this your dose a few weeks ago?  Have you been holding all this time?

Thanks!

A few weeks ago I was crossing over to Librium. I would cross a partial dose and hold awhile, cross more, hold awhile, cross more, until I settled at 25mg L and the rest Xanax. Then I started cutting again about a week ago, I think, sort of experimenting with the rate. I think I can do .06 with minimal symptoms. Unless I goofed something up during the crossover, I should be lower than I was a few weeks ago.

Putting the taper on hold at 4.68mg for now. Realizing I have to stop thinking in terms of how long it's going to take to get off the drug, because I have to admit I know we do heal on the way down.

Sure, I could be off sooner if I kept going.. but what's the point? I will feel worse during and still feel like crap once I'm off... better off to take a break and then go a bit more slowly.

Hope y'all are well.

Putting the taper on hold at 4.68mg for now. Realizing I have to stop thinking in terms of how long it's going to take to get off the drug, because I have to admit I know we do heal on the way down.

Sure, I could be off sooner if I kept going.. but what's the point? I will feel worse during and still feel like crap once I'm off... better off to take a break and then go a bit more slowly.

Hope y'all are well.

Exactly. :thumbsup:  You may now leave the temple. :laugh:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [...]
    • [Pa...]
    • [je...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Tr...]
    • [...]
    • [ra...]
    • [in...]
    • [...]