my_road_to_hell_was_paved_with_xanax_and_klonopin_and_ativan_and_halcion/

[dr...]

I don't think the fault lies in one place, really. I think there are many factors involved  -- including doctors, pharmacists, public health departments, pharmaceutical companies, individual beliefs and attitudes about medication and about responsibility for one's health, lack of alternatives, etc.  A lot has to change in order for prescribing practices to change. It's about education.

I think there is enough education all over the place, Ashton tried so hard

for many years....unsuccessful, no official acknowledgement.

They will continue their denial.....as long as possible .

I've seen many references to Ashton's work when there are suggestions to taper off benzodiazepines, so I wouldn't say that her work has been "unsuccessful" at all. Her papers are quoted or referenced. There may be small things happening, not grandiose ones, but I think it's better than nothing. Thank goodness for her courage and intelligence.

I'm also talking about a concerted effort to educate -- starting in medical school -- that clarifies what's true and what's not about benzodiazepines. As an example, I was talking to a student who had recently taken a university psychology course in which she'd learned about benzodiazepines and their effects. I was heartened by that. That type of education can make a difference in prescribing practices of new medical graduates.

The two research articles I read that looked at GP attitudes towards benzo prescribing showed a difference between older and younger doctors. Some of the younger doctors were faced with having to taper people off benzos that had been prescribed by older doctors. It was challenging but they were aware that benzos were problematic.

I just posted a Canadian research article yesterday from April 2015 (NOW!) in which health professionals chose benzodiazepines as the number one medication to taper or decrease dosage for elderly patients. That's another positive thing.

The British National Formulary updated its benzodiazepine information in November 2013 using Ashton's tapering information and a long time frame for withdrawal symptoms to abate (6-18 months, plus or minus). It's a reputable reference source.

Obviously, there's a lot that needs to be done, but I think it's good to focus on the positive from time to time.

As an example, I was talking to a student who had recently taken a university psychology course in which she'd learned about benzodiazepines and their effects. I was heartened by that.

It's different in every country. Here in the US, I know a kid studying to be a pharmacist, and currently working as an assistant. He's never heard of any problem with benzos ..... yet. Hopefully he will, at some point in his education.

The problem in the US is the statute of limitations - only one year in some states.

Great video !

One year is far too little......

the first pill ever similar to Benzos was Contergan around 1958 I think.

It was given to pregnant women for nausea and insomnia.

Babies were born without legs or arms. Big big scandal....only came out to

the open because the wife of a high German Attorney was a Victim as well.

He started doing research and found out it was the med.....

Took him 8 years to succeed....

There were cases in the US, UK, Canada.....but most damage was done in Germany

and Austria.

I did research, some Victims are still alive......they get a disability bonus

for Contergan of around 480 Bucks a month, its a disgrace.....

Years ago I saw a woman in a supermarket........I wanted to cry, so so bad.

But they settle with the government, Claudia, and as far as I know, nothing goes to the victims.

And $3 billion is pocket change for big pharma - just a cost of doing business. It makes more sense for them to rush through as many approvals as they can get, and pay fines when one goes bad.

Like the exploding Ford Pinto gas tanks from the 70s. Ford calculated the cost of recalling and fixing the problem, vs the cost of settling the inevitable lawsuits ..... guess which one Ford picked.

But they settle with the government, Claudia, and as far as I know, nothing goes to the victims.

And $3 billion is pocket change for big pharma - just a cost of doing business. It makes more sense for them to rush through as many approvals as they can get, and pay fines when one goes bad.

Like the exploding Ford Pinto gas tanks from the 70s. Ford calculated the cost of recalling and fixing the problem, vs the cost of settling the inevitable lawsuits ..... guess which one Ford picked.

Disgusting Qui, the system is wrong all over the world !

The Ford case was exposed by a whistleblower - he smuggled out an internal memo or maybe the actual cost/benefit analysis. I've said all along that a whistleblower is our only hope of any serious compensation, especially in the US. The republicans have made it their life's work to stop "frivolous" lawsuits, and in the Red States, it's VERY difficult to sue anyone for anything. Unless a surgeon amputates the wrong limb, forget about it.

Maybe it's a case of regulatory capture. Pharma would make a deal with the government, (who's officials get many large campaign contributions from Pharma) to pay a fine, thus heading off consumer lawsuits, which could be way more expensive, and more damaging to their reputation.

That's how plutocracy works.