Important Survey - Please Participate ×

The Dizziness Group: For those who are floating, boating, falling or flying

[La...]

Hi Lap, I had cVEMP testing (cervical).  Normal.

You might need to consult with a Neuro-otologist in order to have it done.

Hi Dizzy Buddies,

How's everyone doing? Hanging in there? Staying upright, I hope?

I just came across a study on an interesting topic that I'm guessing others can relate to: "body ownership", i.e. the experience of our body as our own. I haven't heard that term before, but I think it's rather intuitive. If you're dizzy and/or if you have depersonalization, you can probably relate to the idea of not feeling like your body is your own. Check it out:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29940194

2018 Jun 26;117:311-321. doi: 10.1016/j.neuropsychologia.2018.06.020. [Epub ahead of print]

Balancing body ownership: Visual capture of proprioception and affectivity during vestibular stimulation.

Ponzo S1, Kirsch LP2, Fotopoulou A2, Jenkinson PM3.

Author information

School of Life and Medical Sciences, University of Hertfordshire, UK. Electronic address: s.ponzo@herts.ac.uk.

Clinical, Educational & Health Psychology Research Department, Division of Psychology & Language Sciences, University College London, UK.

School of Life and Medical Sciences, University of Hertfordshire, UK.

Abstract

The experience of our body as our own (i.e. body ownership) involves integrating different sensory signals according to their contextual relevance (i.e. multisensory integration). Until recently, most studies of multisensory integration and body ownership concerned only vision, touch and proprioception; the role of other modalities, such as the vestibular system and interoception, has been neglected and remains poorly understood. In particular, no study to date has directly explored the combined effect of vestibular and interoceptive signals on body ownership. Here, we investigated for the first time how Galvanic Vestibular Stimulation (left, right, sham), tactile affectivity (a reclassified interoceptive modality manipulated by applying touch at C-tactile optimal versus non-optimal velocities), and their combination, influence proprioceptive and subjective measures of body ownership during a rubber hand illusion paradigm with healthy participants (N = 26). Our results show that vestibular stimulation (left GVS) significantly increased proprioceptive drift towards the rubber hand during mere visual exposure to the rubber hand. Moreover, it also enhanced participants' proprioceptive drift towards the rubber hand during manipulations of synchronicity and affective touch. These findings suggest that the vestibular system influences multisensory integration, possibly by re-weighting both the two-way relationship between proprioception and vision, as well as the three-way relationship between proprioception, vision and affective touch. We discuss these findings in relation to current predictive coding models of multisensory integration and body ownership.

Exactly, dm123.

As I mentioned, I came across this study a number of years ago, and I eventually got in contact with one of the authors. I was asking about vestibular rehabilitation that might be effective for those with otolith issues, and, at the time, there was little she could offer. It seems that the VR mostly addresses canal issues. I recently asked a physiotherapist who has done a small bit of VR training what she learned about helping those with MdDS, and she said that such symptoms were expected to fade away over time. I'm not sure if there have been any updates to that info.

People can certainly seek out VR-trained physiotherapists in their areas and find out what options are currently available in terms of symptomatic help. Personally, I'm trying to focus on staying as functional as possible, but on bad days (like yesterday, when I had a 9 out 10 level of dizziness), I'm really at the mercy of the forces that are described in the article. When I try to sit down  on a dizzy day, my body is pushing me forwards, so the internal muscular fight between wanting my hips to go backwards and that intense force going in the opposite direction is excruciating. There's no other word.

However, I have the unique situation of having a slow-healing fracture in one foot and a chronic issue in my other foot, so that has complicated my situation a lot. I can only hope that others aren't as badly affected as me. My suggestion to others would be to stay as functional, mobile, flexible and strong as possible. Lying down all day is NOT a good idea, as it leads to further weakness and dysfunction. In my case, the help of a physiotherapist is absolutely essential. Exercises (in lying and sitting) can help. If people can walk (e.g. on a treadmill, around the house, with a cane or walker) or do a stationary bike, then those activities would be helpful too.

Thanks for your input, dm123. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the articles that abcd posted. Take care, and I hope you're not suffering too badly these days.

Hi Lapis,

I agree with the bolded part above.  I had a period 2 years ago, prior to knowing i was kindled and in tolerance where i could not really stand for more than 5-10 minutes.  It’s very scary when one loses the ability to move and be mobile.  I rapidly got worse the more time i spend sitting or laying down.  Once  the issue with the Benzodiazaphine was stabilized via crossover, I’ve been standing and worked my way up to around 10 hours a day + added walking as well.  Just standing greatly strengthens the erector muscles in the spine, the hip flexor muscles (all of them) and of course a whole bunch of stabilizing leg muscles.  I understand with severe foot injuries you cannot do this, but once those injuries heal, slowly start to try to stand and walk for increasingly longer lengths of time. 

I use a stand up desk for all office work, reading etc.  It’s not easy and the legs do take a beating (especially the knees), but it helps the body recover in so many ways.  Even cardiovascularly , when one stands, the blood has to be pumped against gravity especially from the leg areas.

I can only begin to imagine what standing and balancing does to facilitate the healing of the vestibular dysfunction.    There must be literally 100s of different changes in the neural system, as the body struggles to maintain balance for long periods of time.

Yes, I’m looking forward to the abcd papers.    I also see some additional papers posted above since i last logged in, and i will get to those as well.

Very sorry to hear about the bad day you had.  As long as we are tapering or abstaining from the Benzodiazaphine I’m always hopeful for continuous improvement, even if it is a two steps forward and one step back rhythm kind of thing......

Hi,

I just wanted to share this abstract on the testing for otolith organ function, in case it's of interest. dm123, it might add useful info to your research on this topic. If anyone has had this kind of vestibular testing, I'd be interested to know what the results were. I don't believe it was part of the testing I did.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29887827

2018 May 25;9:366. doi: 10.3389/fneur.2018.00366. eCollection 2018.

Otolithic Receptor Mechanisms for Vestibular-Evoked Myogenic Potentials: A Review.

Curthoys IS1, Grant JW2, Burgess AM1, Pastras CJ3, Brown DJ3, Manzari L4.

Author information

Vestibular Research Laboratory, School of Psychology, The University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia.

Department of Biomedical Engineering and Mechanics, VA Tech, Blacksburg, VA, United States.

The Menière's Laboratory, Sydney Medical School, The University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia.

MSA ENT Academy Center, Cassino, Italy.

Abstract

Air-conducted sound and bone-conduced vibration activate otolithic receptors and afferent neurons in both the utricular and saccular maculae, and trigger small electromyographic (EMG) responses [called vestibular-evoked myogenic potentials (VEMPs)] in various muscle groups throughout the body. The use of these VEMPs for clinical assessment of human otolithic function is built on the following logical steps: (1) that high-frequency sound and vibration at clinically effective stimulus levels activate otolithic receptors and afferents, rather than semicircular canal afferents, (2) that there is differential anatomical projection of otolith afferents to eye muscles and neck muscles, and (3) that isolated stimulation of the utricular macula induces short latency responses in eye muscles, and that isolated stimulation of the saccular macula induces short latency responses in neck motoneurons. Evidence supports these logical steps, and so VEMPs are increasingly being used for clinical assessment of otolith function, even differential evaluation of utricular and saccular function. The proposal, originally put forward by Curthoys in 2010, is now accepted: that the ocular vestibular-evoked myogenic potential reflects predominantly contralateral utricular function and the cervical vestibular-evoked myogenic potential reflects predominantly ipsilateral saccular function. So VEMPs can provide differential tests of utricular and saccular function, not because of stimulus selectivity for either of the two maculae, but by measuring responses which are predominantly determined by the differential neural projection of utricular as opposed to saccular neural information to various muscle groups. The major question which this review addresses is how the otolithic sensory system, with such a high density otoconial layer, can be activated by individual cycles of sound and vibration and show such tight locking of the timing of action potentials of single primary otolithic afferents to a particular phase angle of the stimulus cycle even at frequencies far above 1,000 Hz. The new explanation is that it is due to the otoliths acting as seismometers at high frequencies and accelerometers at low frequencies. VEMPs are an otolith-dominated response, but in a particular clinical condition, semicircular canal dehiscence, semicircular canal receptors are also activated by sound and vibration, and act to enhance the otolith-dominated VEMP responses.

Thanks Lapis, I’ve downloaded it  :)

[5a...]

Hi Lapis and everyone!I am still hanging in there.Good and bad days.Not yet back to normal sadly.I do want to share a dizzy article I read by Dr.Christiane Northrup.She talked about a woman who was dizzy.I know it might not be too applicable to us,as we got this from the benzos messing us up,but it does give a couple of possibilities on rebalancing.I am trying to challenge myself to walk like she said with arms swinging and looking up towards the horizon instead of down.This is sooo hard when really off balance!It is an exercise in itself!I'm so worried I will fall if I don't look down while walking.

I just hope I don't step in a gopher hole while walking in my back yard! :laugh:

Thank you all for the info to read!

drnorthrup.com/goddesses-never-age-maintaining-your-balance-for-a-lifetime-of-stability/

Hey 2200,

Good to hear from you! And thanks for posting that great article! I'm just going to re-post the link here, because yours didn't appear to be highlighted:

https://www.drnorthrup.com/goddesses-never-age-maintaining-your-balance-for-a-lifetime-of-stability/ 

As far as gopher holes go, I do think you're allowed to look down every once in awhile in order to avoid them. Landing face first on the ground is NOT the way to victory here.  :laugh:

Hey there, 2200, always nice to see you drop in.  :smitten:

I skimmed that article and it's so timely because Lap and I were recently chatting a little about this and it's *exactly* what I was saying!

The balance problem goes away on its own after being back in the Earth’s gravitation field, as long as the astronauts go about their daily activities and fitness routines—all of which cause them to orient themselves in relationship to gravity. If they had tried to stabilize themselves simply through immobilizing their bodies and being afraid of falling, the deterioration of their vestibular systems would have continued.

I should add a little disclaimer here first because, as everyone here probably already knows, my pulsating rockiness is quite atypical, to the point where the longer this goes on, the more convinced I've become that I'm dealing with something outside of benzos.  So this doesn't apply to my situation and I can't speak from experience. but I'm such a huge believer in the message in that article, it just makes so much sense.  She uses astronauts as an example.  Another example is having to suddenly switch from only wearing contact lenses to new prescription glasses ... or even from regular glasses to progressive.  What happens?  It's awful, right, I remember feeling so queasy and the wavy walls and floors, it was terrible until the eyes/brain adjusted to them.  But here's the thing.  How else do we get our eyes to adjust?  There's only one way, i.e.*By persisting in wearing them and going about our daily business as best we can*.  Maybe we start off with a few hours here and there per day and build up but, if we only put them on for a few seconds now and again, or we wear them fulltime but keep our eyes closed :P we'd never adjust.  Period.  Right? 

Go for it, 2200.  My thinking is so what if it's as a result of benzos messing things up ... The solution is the same.  I'd just say keep your expectations reasonable, don't get discouraged if you don't notice progress overnight because, hey, that's just life, but give it a darn good shot and see how you feel in, say, even three/four months.  Good luck, I soooo hope it does the job.

I think we should share this article with all newbies to this thread.  I say don't sit around, Guys.  Pay no attention to the Time is the Only Healer squadron  ::):idiot:.  Unless you have other physical symptoms or pain or anything else that absolutely prevents this "rehab", keep moving as much as possible and exposing yourself to all the elements ... and the sooner the better.  Take a cane if necessary. 

Another quote from the article:

Your balance will become better as long as you challenge it regularly.  :thumbsup:

PS:  2200, please don't laugh but I had to do some Googling.  Here, now I'm all educated ...

https://youtu.be/jVDjjaYYxSs    :laugh:

[5a...]

Lapis thank you for high lighting that site for me,I am really bad at some of the computer technology!I hope this article might help someone.There are some things this doctor gets into like new age stuff,that I don't care much for,but she does know a lot about women's health especially,and is a blast to watch when she is on the PBS stations talking about menopause and aging.She has a great sense of humor too.Have you seen any of her programs?

How are you doing lately?Any improvements in being off balance?Can you walk outside on the side walk for short distances?I tend to avoid them right now unless it is a very short distance.I still feel like if I do need to hold on to something I will get a panic attack.I feel bad because I used to walk our dog more often,and I know she looks at me and wonders why I don't take her anywhere anymore.My husband does takes her though.

Boy,just to get back to doing normal things again someday would be so wonderful!For now,it's walking in the yard and dodging the gopher holes!I take my hoe while walking and patch a few bad ones as I go.Fun,fun,fun! ;D

abcd,that gopher video is a hoot!As you can see,no exaggerating on how big those holes get! ;D

Livestock can break their legs in those moon craters!And dizzy prairie girls.

abcd,when you say pulsating rockiness,is it like a push pull kind of off balance?I agree with you that we need to challenge ourselves with moving everyday to help out bodies rebalance.It is easier some days,and some days I really,really have to push myself because it's so hard,and I just want to sit down and not move.I can't anyways as there is always too much to do around here,so good or bad days I just keep moving.

I do get grouchy like a bear some days....... :tickedoff:

Hi,

I just wanted to share this abstract on the testing for otolith organ function, in case it's of interest. dm123, it might add useful info to your research on this topic. If anyone has had this kind of vestibular testing, I'd be interested to know what the results were. I don't believe it was part of the testing I did.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29887827

2018 May 25;9:366. doi: 10.3389/fneur.2018.00366. eCollection 2018.

Otolithic Receptor Mechanisms for Vestibular-Evoked Myogenic Potentials: A Review.

Curthoys IS1, Grant JW2, Burgess AM1, Pastras CJ3, Brown DJ3, Manzari L4.

Author information

Vestibular Research Laboratory, School of Psychology, The University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia.

Department of Biomedical Engineering and Mechanics, VA Tech, Blacksburg, VA, United States.

The Menière's Laboratory, Sydney Medical School, The University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia.

MSA ENT Academy Center, Cassino, Italy.

Abstract

Air-conducted sound and bone-conduced vibration activate otolithic receptors and afferent neurons in both the utricular and saccular maculae, and trigger small electromyographic (EMG) responses [called vestibular-evoked myogenic potentials (VEMPs)] in various muscle groups throughout the body. The use of these VEMPs for clinical assessment of human otolithic function is built on the following logical steps: (1) that high-frequency sound and vibration at clinically effective stimulus levels activate otolithic receptors and afferents, rather than semicircular canal afferents, (2) that there is differential anatomical projection of otolith afferents to eye muscles and neck muscles, and (3) that isolated stimulation of the utricular macula induces short latency responses in eye muscles, and that isolated stimulation of the saccular macula induces short latency responses in neck motoneurons. Evidence supports these logical steps, and so VEMPs are increasingly being used for clinical assessment of otolith function, even differential evaluation of utricular and saccular function. The proposal, originally put forward by Curthoys in 2010, is now accepted: that the ocular vestibular-evoked myogenic potential reflects predominantly contralateral utricular function and the cervical vestibular-evoked myogenic potential reflects predominantly ipsilateral saccular function. So VEMPs can provide differential tests of utricular and saccular function, not because of stimulus selectivity for either of the two maculae, but by measuring responses which are predominantly determined by the differential neural projection of utricular as opposed to saccular neural information to various muscle groups. The major question which this review addresses is how the otolithic sensory system, with such a high density otoconial layer, can be activated by individual cycles of sound and vibration and show such tight locking of the timing of action potentials of single primary otolithic afferents to a particular phase angle of the stimulus cycle even at frequencies far above 1,000 Hz. The new explanation is that it is due to the otoliths acting as seismometers at high frequencies and accelerometers at low frequencies. VEMPs are an otolith-dominated response, but in a particular clinical condition, semicircular canal dehiscence, semicircular canal receptors are also activated by sound and vibration, and act to enhance the otolith-dominated VEMP responses.

I’ll be having the VEMP test on the 16th August. I’ve had the VNG also, but will be getting that repeated on the 17th August.

Hi Lap, I had cVEMP testing (cervical).  Normal.

You might need to consult with a Neuro-otologist in order to have it done.

Oh really? abc what are you symptoms exactly?

I’ll be getting VEMP testing on the 16th of July. It’s apparently an hour long.

What did they determine from the VEMP test? Your ears are fine?

I had a VNG test done and it came back with an abnormality. I’m not satisfied with the diagnosis though so I’ve went back to the specialist and I’m thus getting the VEMP and VNG (done again). He did say it sounds more like PPPD than Vestibular Neuronitis.

Lapis thank you for high lighting that site for me,I am really bad at some of the computer technology!I hope this article might help someone.There are some things this doctor gets into like new age stuff,that I don't care much for,but she does know a lot about women's health especially,and is a blast to watch when she is on the PBS stations talking about menopause and aging.She has a great sense of humor too.Have you seen any of her programs?

How are you doing lately?Any improvements in being off balance?Can you walk outside on the side walk for short distances?I tend to avoid them right now unless it is a very short distance.I still feel like if I do need to hold on to something I will get a panic attack.I feel bad because I used to walk our dog more often,and I know she looks at me and wonders why I don't take her anywhere anymore.My husband does takes her though.

Boy,just to get back to doing normal things again someday would be so wonderful!For now,it's walking in the yard and dodging the gopher holes!I take my hoe while walking and patch a few bad ones as I go.Fun,fun,fun! ;D

abcd,that gopher video is a hoot!As you can see,no exaggerating on how big those holes get! ;D

abcd,when you say pulsating rockiness,is it like a push pull kind of off balance?I agree with you that we need to challenge ourselves with moving everyday to help out bodies rebalance.It is easier some days,and some days I really,really have to push myself because it's so hard,and I just want to sit down and not move.I can't anyways as there is always too much to do around here,so good or bad days I just keep moving.

Hi 2200,

I haven't actually seen any of Dr. Northrup's programs, so I can't comment, but I thought the article was quite good. It would be interesting to know if she has had any experience with people like us.

I certainly do my best to move around, but I've just had one of the most hellish weeks in terms of foot pain and swelling, lack of sleep, and a few building emergencies and repairs. It has all left me quite literally fried. I will blame some of it (the swelling, pain, weakness and relentless crying) on hormones too (Yay! Hormones! Woohoo! Love 'em!).

So, let's not use this last week or 10 days as a measure of things.  ;) And assuming I don't have to call 911 tomorrow or the next day (yup, that was today's fun), then perhaps I might have a chance at having a couple of good days this week.

I can't actually walk outside. I just walk barefoot in my home with a walker, and try to stay upright. With the slow-healing fracture and the right foot pain, there's still a certain amount of swelling anyway, so footwear would be a nightmare just now. For now, I can feel each and every little crumbling bit of old underpad that lies beneath my aging carpet. Yikes! Let's just say that it's "stimulating"! That's the nice way of saying "I can't fix this now so I'm trying to look on the bright side!"

I'm looking forward to watching abcd's gopher video. After the alarm and 911 call, I couldn't focus on small rodents, but tonight, it might prove to be relaxing and illuminating.  ;D

P.S. The grumpy-bear mood is highly understandable. I'm right there with you.

[5a...]

Hi 2200,

I haven't actually seen any of Dr. Northrup's programs, so I can't comment, but I thought the article was quite good. It would be interesting to know if she has had any experience with people like us.

I certainly do my best to move around, but I've just had one of the most hellish weeks in terms of foot pain and swelling, lack of sleep, and a few building emergencies and repairs. It has all left me quite literally fried. I will blame some of it (the swelling, pain, weakness and relentless crying) on hormones too (Yay! Hormones! Woohoo! Love 'em!).

So, let's not use this last week or 10 days as a measure of things.  ;) And assuming I don't have to call 911 tomorrow or the next day (yup, that was today's fun), then perhaps I might have a chance at having a couple of good days this week.

I can't actually walk outside. I just walk barefoot in my home with a walker, and try to stay upright. With the slow-healing fracture and the right foot pain, there's still a certain amount of swelling anyway, so footwear would be a nightmare just now. For now, I can feel each and every little crumbling bit of old underpad that lies beneath my aging carpet. Yikes! Let's just say that it's "stimulating"! That's the nice way of saying "I can't fix this now so I'm trying to look on the bright side!"

I'm looking forward to watching abcd's gopher video. After the alarm and 911 call, I couldn't focus on small rodents, but tonight, it might prove to be relaxing and illuminating.  ;D

P.S. The grumpy-bear mood is highly understandable. I'm right there with you.

Oh wow Lapis,what a crazy thing with the repairs, alarm going off and calling 911!Didn't that happen when you hurt your foot to begin with,the apartment alarm going off during the night or something?It must be hard to relax with all that going on!

I think you are doing the best you can and hanging in there,it's all we can do.Though I hear your frustration as to when this healing will be done and over with.I can't believe how long this stuff lasts,it really is over whelming most days.I for one don't know how you do it with two painful feet!The balancing thing is hard enough without that.I don't blame you for going barefoot.I think maybe it could be easier to balance that way.Plus I understand how hard it would be to wear most shoes with a swollen ankle.Forget that and just go barefoot and heal.

As far as the hormone stuff,I still get some of the menopause roller coaster fun too!I feel so much more moody than I did 10 years ago.I can cry at the drop of a hat,and go from happy to cranky faster than you can dial 911!

I've read it does start to taper off and level out with time.Maybe it will go at the same time as the benzo symptoms! :)

Does anyone know of people with floaty boaty and balance issues that have healed? I have been looking for those that have healed, but haven’t been able to find any.  Read through Success Stories not finding anything pertaining to this particular symptom.

Wishing Everyone Speedy Healing!!!

F4M

Does anyone know of people with floaty boaty and balance issues that have healed? I have been looking for those that have healed, but haven’t been able to find any.  Read through Success Stories not finding anything pertaining to this particular symptom.

F4M

Would also like to know this. I’ve asked before in this thread about a year ago, but I was just told that yeah people have healed but just tend to never come back. I don’t like that because it doesn’t necessarily mean they’ve healed at all, unless they tell you. Some people can just get fed up of forums and say no more.

How do people cope with this stuff?!  I may have had it this whole time but was too distracted by my other symptoms to notice it as much.  But, now it is very profound and scary.  I don’t know how to cope!!!  Between the Floaty Boaty and Dp/Dr.  My world is disappearing.

2yrs since forced CT off Klonopin. 

Hi F4Me,

I was going to ask the same of this group, but did not want to offend anyone.  How does one cope with constant disequilibrium or even unpredictable sporadic episodes of lengthy dizziness? Can one drive a car?  I can see how this would be challenging with forward and lateral acceleration.  Etc......

Actually many find that have these sets of symptoms (rocking and swaying) get relief of it whilst in motion like a car. I can drive all day everyday and it’s when I feel my best. It’s when I step out of the car is when shit hits he fan. I could be at a 1/2 on the symptom scale, but after a journey over 2 hours - I can be up to 6/7. Apparently this mechanism is due to the different functions of the saccule and utricle within the otolith organs. One of these sense horizontal and the other vertical. This would explain why I often get less rocking/relief sometimes when I lay down.

F4M

Would also like to know this. I’ve asked before in this thread about a year ago, but I was just told that yeah people have healed but just tend to never come back. I don’t like that because it doesn’t necessarily mean they’ve healed at all, unless they tell you. Some people can just get fed up of forums and say no more.

Hey F4M and IrishMonkey,

Why not consult with someone like Baylissa Frederick? She was dizzy, and she healed. Also, she has counselled many, many people and, as such, can probably respond to your question in a more satisfying way. IrishMonkey, I'm sorry if you "don't like" my answer. We have seen people come and go around here, but not everyone bothers to tell us why. I know someone who left the site abruptly once she was doing better and didn't write many details about her dizziness going away. I don't think she wrote a Success Story either. She just wanted to go and live her life at that point. Who knows how many others have done the same?

Anyway, I'll bow out on this question and hope others weigh in. Sorry, I'm fried after a brutal week.

Further to our earlier discussions of the importance of exercise for balance, there's this study on exercise and neuroplasticity:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29959048

NeuroImage: 2018 Oct 1;179:471-479. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2018.06.065. Epub 2018 Jun 26.

Exercise-induced neuroplasticity: Balance training increases cortical thickness in visual and vestibular cortical regions

Rogge AK1, Röder B2, Zech A3, Hötting K4.

Author information

Universität Hamburg, Biological Psychology & Neuropsychology, Von-Melle-Park 11, 20146, Hamburg, Germany. Electronic address: ann-kathrin.rogge@uni-hamburg.de.

Universität Hamburg, Biological Psychology & Neuropsychology, Von-Melle-Park 11, 20146, Hamburg, Germany. Electronic address: Brigitte.Roeder@uni-hamburg.de.

Friedrich Schiller University, Human Movement Science, Seidelstraße 20, 07749, Jena, Germany. Electronic address: astrid.zech@uni-jena.de.

Universität Hamburg, Biological Psychology & Neuropsychology, Von-Melle-Park 11, 20146, Hamburg, Germany. Electronic address: Kirsten.Hoetting@uni-hamburg.de.

Abstract

Physical exercise has been shown to induce structural plasticity in the human brain and to enhance cognitive functions. While previous studies focused on aerobic exercise, suggesting a link between increased cardiorespiratory fitness and exercise-induced neuroplasticity, recent findings have suggested that whole-body exercise with minor metabolic demands elicits beneficial effects on brain structure as well. In the present study, we tested if balance training, challenging the sensory-motor system and vestibular self-motion perception, induces structural plasticity. Thirty-seven healthy adults aged 19-65 years were randomly assigned to either a balance training or a relaxation training group. All participants exercised twice a week for 12 weeks. Assessments before and after the training included a balance test and the acquisition of high-resolution T1-weighted images to analyze morphological brain changes. Only the balance group significantly improved balance performance after training. Cortical thickness was increased in the superior temporal cortex, in visual association cortices, in the posterior cingulate cortex, in the superior frontal sulcus, and in the precentral gyri in the balance group, compared to the relaxation group. Moreover, there was evidence that the balance training resulted in decreased putamen volume. Improved balance performance correlated with the increase of precentral cortical thickness and the decrease in putamen volume. The results suggest that balance training elicits neuroplasticity in brain regions associated with visual and vestibular self-motion perception. As these regions are known for their role in spatial orienting and memory, stimulating visual-vestibular pathways during self-motion might mediate beneficial effects of physical exercise on cognition.

PMID:

DOI:

10.1016/j.neuroimage.2018.06.065

How do people cope with this stuff?!  I may have had it this whole time but was too distracted by my other symptoms to notice it as much.  But, now it is very profound and scary.  I don’t know how to cope!!!  Between the Floaty Boaty and Dp/Dr.  My world is disappearing.

2yrs since forced CT off Klonopin. 

Hi F4Me,

I was going to ask the same of this group, but did not want to offend anyone.  How does one cope with constant disequilibrium or even unpredictable sporadic episodes of lengthy dizziness? Can one drive a car?  I can see how this would be challenging with forward and lateral acceleration.  Etc......

Actually many find that have these sets of symptoms (rocking and swaying) get relief of it whilst in motion like a car. I can drive all day everyday and it’s when I feel my best. It’s when I step out of the car is when shit hits he fan. I could be at a 1/2 on the symptom scale, but after a journey over 2 hours - I can be up to 6/7. Apparently this mechanism is due to the different functions of the saccule and utricle within the otolith organs. One of these sense horizontal and the other vertical. This would explain why I often get less rocking/relief sometimes when I lay down.

Hi Irish, thanks for explaining what’s going on with you.  So the system apparently has trouble acclimating to standstill once you get out of the car. How long does it take the 6/7 to dissipate once its “agitated “?

Further to our earlier discussions of the importance of exercise for balance, there's this study on exercise and neuroplasticity:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29959048

NeuroImage: 2018 Oct 1;179:471-479. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2018.06.065. Epub 2018 Jun 26.

Exercise-induced neuroplasticity: Balance training increases cortical thickness in visual and vestibular cortical regions

Rogge AK1, Röder B2, Zech A3, Hötting K4.

Author information

Universität Hamburg, Biological Psychology & Neuropsychology, Von-Melle-Park 11, 20146, Hamburg, Germany. Electronic address: ann-kathrin.rogge@uni-hamburg.de.

Universität Hamburg, Biological Psychology & Neuropsychology, Von-Melle-Park 11, 20146, Hamburg, Germany. Electronic address: Brigitte.Roeder@uni-hamburg.de.

Friedrich Schiller University, Human Movement Science, Seidelstraße 20, 07749, Jena, Germany. Electronic address: astrid.zech@uni-jena.de.

Universität Hamburg, Biological Psychology & Neuropsychology, Von-Melle-Park 11, 20146, Hamburg, Germany. Electronic address: Kirsten.Hoetting@uni-hamburg.de.

Abstract

Physical exercise has been shown to induce structural plasticity in the human brain and to enhance cognitive functions. While previous studies focused on aerobic exercise, suggesting a link between increased cardiorespiratory fitness and exercise-induced neuroplasticity, recent findings have suggested that whole-body exercise with minor metabolic demands elicits beneficial effects on brain structure as well. In the present study, we tested if balance training, challenging the sensory-motor system and vestibular self-motion perception, induces structural plasticity. Thirty-seven healthy adults aged 19-65 years were randomly assigned to either a balance training or a relaxation training group. All participants exercised twice a week for 12 weeks. Assessments before and after the training included a balance test and the acquisition of high-resolution T1-weighted images to analyze morphological brain changes. Only the balance group significantly improved balance performance after training. Cortical thickness was increased in the superior temporal cortex, in visual association cortices, in the posterior cingulate cortex, in the superior frontal sulcus, and in the precentral gyri in the balance group, compared to the relaxation group. Moreover, there was evidence that the balance training resulted in decreased putamen volume. Improved balance performance correlated with the increase of precentral cortical thickness and the decrease in putamen volume. The results suggest that balance training elicits neuroplasticity in brain regions associated with visual and vestibular self-motion perception. As these regions are known for their role in spatial orienting and memory, stimulating visual-vestibular pathways during self-motion might mediate beneficial effects of physical exercise on cognition.

PMID:

DOI:

10.1016/j.neuroimage.2018.06.065

:thumbsup:

Like these articles on exercise induced Neuroplasticity a lot. I’m going to paste that link in the laymans thread as well.

Thanks for posting Lapis.......

F4M

Guys, this gets asked a lot, obviously it's something everyone wants to hear about but there's no central depository of names and success stories.  If either of you are up to it and would like to take on that project, that would be very useful. ;)  When I first joined BB, I spent hours upon hours using the search feature, pm'ing members asking them for updates, and also digging up old threads and bumping them asking for updates.  I'd suggest you do the same!  And perhaps you can come back here and share any positive stories with everyone else here.

So, here, from past posts ...

Thank you Lapis. I read the success stories but could not find many of them talking about floaty boat.

These names from a quick search of the Success Stories.  Imagine how many more are out there .. including those who've been on this thread at some point and don't come back to update.  :thumbsup:

Megan (Admin)

Aft35

Ecc 3 1

MPERRIN

gaer

jaso19

BillyF

Try different searches such as "floaty" ... "boat" ... "dizzy" ... "sway" ... "rock" ... etc.  People use different words to describe it.

It would also be very helpful, Frenchy, if you could add a signature so we understand your history.  I hope this makes you, and our other newbies, feel a little better.  :hug:

For those who may not know how to search through specific board and/or threads. 

Another tip for better search results.  Use Google to search through BB specifically (or any other website). 

• Precede your query with site:

• Example, copy/paste this query into Google. (Or add/edit your own words):  site:benzobuddies.org floaty boat, dizzy, rocky

Hope this helps dig up more and more ex-boaters!  Pity we can't add files to the forum, we could maintain our own little database.

Hoping everyone's having a sorta kinda okay day.  :-\

:smitten:

I'll post more if I can think of them.  :thumbsup:

PS - Group hug for Lapis, sorry about your brutal week, Dizzy Dame! :hug::therethere::smitten:

Great post, abcd! Thanks for your insights and suggestions on searching. I do hope people will do a bit of hunting, as needed.

And thanks so much for the hug! Much appreciated. Thankfully, there were no fire alarms or major emergencies today, unlike the rest of the week. Time for bed soon.....  :sleepy:

Great post, abcd! Thanks for your insights and suggestions on searching. I do hope people will do a bit of hunting, as needed.

And thanks so much for the hug! Much appreciated. Thankfully, there were no fire alarms or major emergencies today, unlike the rest of the week. Time for bed soon.....  :sleepy:

Which reminds me ... we set off for our walk this morning and after about 5 mins outside I suddenly remembered that ... wait for it ... ready? ... I'd left a pot of rice simmering on the stove!!! :idiot::D

Naturally, you were the first person I thought of!  Went rushing back, all good.

Hope you have a good restful sleep.

:smitten: