Important Survey - Please Participate ×

The real truth about pharmas from a sales rep who worked there.

[be...]

I heard Dr. Peter Breggin, mentioned in an earlier post here, say he won't prescribe any psych meds to any of his patients as a practicing shrink.  I think he's retired now.  He knows they're all problems messing up the brain chemistry.

Yes, thank you Mindseeker, for your post. It's very important to get at the heart of the issue.

And regardless of what anyone says, Gwen Olsen has some very valid points that ring true to me.

Hi,

I just came across an Italian website about Scientology (don't worry, this article is written in English):

[nobbc]http://xenu.com-it.net/txt/simonetta_po_fecris_e.htm[/nobbc]

It is long (I have not yet read it all), but what I have read so far is well referenced and provides a good description of the problem of CCHR infiltration. There is a section in the article devoted to CCHR. The opening section outlines a general description the problem of Scientology front-groups, their history of obfuscation tactics and the problems it causes for legitimate groups or even governmental authorities. I intend to read the rest the article as soon as I have a little more time.

I'm going to chime in here because I have a different view on modern medicine, especially when comparing "general" medicine with "psychiatry." Just my own view (and I'm not a Scientologist, just a mental patient for the past 30 years). Also, I want to address the issue of the pharma companies, as it seems this was the intent of the OP.

Comparing "general" medicine with psychiatry is a false equivalency. Illnesses such as infections have scientific studies and research to show that certain microbes or parasites cause the infection. Then the medications were created to kill the parasites.

However, we still don't know what causes mental illness. The chemical imbalance theory is just that - a theory. And the first drug discovered to treat schizophrenia back in the '50's was discovered by accident. No science involved. And from my own experience with antipsychotics, they don't stop hallucinations - they just make you so drowsy, you simply don't care.

Theories about serotonin and dopamine became quite popular in the '90's, but this was due more to advertising the fact that "depression may be a result of a chemical imbalance."

Ever seen a commercial for an antibiotic? Of course not. It's not necessary (also, they're generic so there's no profit in it). For mental illness, the chemical imbalance theory had to be  marketed in order to sell the drugs (keep in mind Eli Lilly's financial status in the 80's - they NEEDED Prozac to sell).

And they did a superb job of finding the right people to sell it to - the folks writing the DSM IV. The DSM IV was published in 1994, five years after Prozac came out and right at the time direct-to-consumer ads became legal in the states.  The below is taken from a study investigating the pharmaceutical companies' influence over the DSM IV, which is the manual used in diagnosing mental illness:

"Of the 170 DSM panel members 95 (56%) had one or more financial associations with companies in the pharmaceutical industry. One hundred percent of the members of the panels on 'Mood Disorders' and 'Schizophrenia and Other Psychotic Disorders' had financial ties to drug companies. The leading categories of financial interest held by panel members were research funding (42%), consultancies (22%) and speakers bureau (16%). (Source: Financial Ties between DSM-IV panel members and the pharmaceutical industry.

I'm not "anti" or "pro" psychiatry. I'm just someone with pre-existing depression who was placed on Prozac and then when I became manic, a doctor determined (with no test) that Prozac had "unmasked a mental illness that was already there." And 30 years later and more than 12 doctors later, I've gotten the same diagnosis. And unfortunately for me, I've been unable to come off the drugs. Yes, the "medication discontinuation syndrome" that GlaxoSmithKline was sued about - it's real. It's not mental illness.

Where's the science behind that? No one would dare take antibiotics for 30 years based on that type of data. And yet we expect the mentally ill to swallow very toxic drugs for decades based on this type of information. Something is very wrong here.

Thank you, well said.

I'm going to chime in here because I have a different view on modern medicine, especially when comparing "general" medicine with "psychiatry." Just my own view (and I'm not a Scientologist, just a mental patient for the past 30 years). Also, I want to address the issue of the pharma companies, as it seems this was the intent of the OP.

Comparing "general" medicine with psychiatry is a false equivalency. Illnesses such as infections have scientific studies and research to show that certain microbes or parasites cause the infection. Then the medications were created to kill the parasites.

However, we still don't know what causes mental illness. The chemical imbalance theory is just that - a theory. And the first drug discovered to treat schizophrenia back in the '50's was discovered by accident. No science involved. And from my own experience with antipsychotics, they don't stop hallucinations - they just make you so drowsy, you simply don't care.

Theories about serotonin and dopamine became quite popular in the '90's, but this was due more to advertising the fact that "depression may be a result of a chemical imbalance."

Ever seen a commercial for an antibiotic? Of course not. It's not necessary (also, they're generic so there's no profit in it). For mental illness, the chemical imbalance theory had to be  marketed in order to sell the drugs (keep in mind Eli Lilly's financial status in the 80's - they NEEDED Prozac to sell).

And they did a superb job of finding the right people to sell it to - the folks writing the DSM IV. The DSM IV was published in 1994, five years after Prozac came out and right at the time direct-to-consumer ads became legal in the states.  The below is taken from a study investigating the pharmaceutical companies' influence over the DSM IV, which is the manual used in diagnosing mental illness:

"Of the 170 DSM panel members 95 (56%) had one or more financial associations with companies in the pharmaceutical industry. One hundred percent of the members of the panels on 'Mood Disorders' and 'Schizophrenia and Other Psychotic Disorders' had financial ties to drug companies. The leading categories of financial interest held by panel members were research funding (42%), consultancies (22%) and speakers bureau (16%). (Source: Financial Ties between DSM-IV panel members and the pharmaceutical industry.

I'm not "anti" or "pro" psychiatry. I'm just someone with pre-existing depression who was placed on Prozac and then when I became manic, a doctor determined (with no test) that Prozac had "unmasked :thumbsup: a mental illness that was already there." And 30 years later and more than 12 doctors later, I've gotten the same diagnosis. And unfortunately for me, I've been unable to come off the drugs. Yes, the "medication discontinuation syndrome" that GlaxoSmithKline was sued about - it's real. It's not mental illness.

Where's the science behind that? No one would dare take antibiotics for 30 years based on that type of data. And yet we expect the mentally ill to swallow very toxic drugs for decades based on this type of information. Something is very wrong here.

Thank you MindSeeker,

:thumbsup:

Hi,

I just came across an Italian website about Scientology (don't worry, this article is written in English):

[nobbc]http://xenu.com-it.net/txt/simonetta_po_fecris_e.htm[/nobbc]

It is long (I have not yet read it all), but what I have read so far is well referenced and provides a good description of the problem of CCHR infiltration. There is a section in the article devoted to CCHR. The opening section outlines a general description the problem of Scientology front-groups, their history of obfuscation tactics and the problems it causes for legitimate groups or even governmental authorities. I intend to read the

rest the article as soon as I have a little more time.

interesting, my one is written in German.

too long, can't read it thouroughly .

The majority of people taking a benzo in the US is women over 60 by 2 to 1 over men.  In Oregon the largest group is women 85+. This has nothing to do with psychiatry for the most part. Every kind of doctor prescribes these drugs as the panacea for all.  I was made an involuntary lorazepam addict during breast cancer treatment. It was given for pain/nausea/sleep with no warnings at all. The oncologists have no understanding of the dangers of psychotropic drugs when used over 4 weeks. My cancer clinic didn't recognize an adverse drug reaction. They spent thousands on unnecessary tests. Benzos are the drugs of choice for older women by doctors. Nursing homes use them to control behavior and dull the mind. Ever see people parked in wheelchairs in the hallway with drooping heads? Why is this happening? My friend's 90+ mother has been hallucinating and falling down. I still have cancer and withdrawal. I did not deserve this. I never had anxiety. I had cancer treatment. I am 66.

Benzos are given for everything: cancer pain, stomach pain, brain pain, muscle pain. Someone dies: give the family benzos. Job interview: here have some benzos. Worried about anything: here have some benzos for now and for the rest of your life or until it kills you.

The majority of people taking a benzo in the US is women over 60 by 2 to 1 over men.  In Oregon the largest group is women 85+. This has nothing to do with psychiatry for the most part. Every kind of doctor prescribes these drugs as the panacea for all.  I was made an involuntary lorazepam addict during breast cancer treatment. It was given for pain/nausea/sleep with no warnings at all. The oncologists have no understanding of the dangers of psychotropic drugs when used over 4 weeks. My cancer clinic didn't recognize an adverse drug reaction. They spent thousands on unnecessary tests. Benzos are the drugs of choice for older women by doctors. Nursing homes use them to control behavior and dull the mind. Ever see people parked in wheelchairs in the hallway with drooping heads? Why is this happening? My friend's 90+ mother has been hallucinating and falling down. I still have cancer and withdrawal. I did not deserve this. I never had anxiety. I had cancer treatment. I am 66.

Benzos are given for everything: cancer pain, stomach pain, brain pain, muscle pain. Someone dies: give the family benzos. Job interview: here have some benzos. Worried about anything: here have some benzos for now and for the rest of your life or until it kills you.

Bump