Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Cross-Over to Valium Support Thread

[bc...]

Help. my doctor wnats me to just switch on over to 10 mgs. valium. Have been on1.125 ativan. He said I dont need to use both meds. Has anyone done this okay? Please reply. picking up valium in morning....

Hey Rose, welcome to the thread! Glad you made it here.

From what I read in your blog, he will give you 2 mgr pills, to be taken every six hours or so, is that correct?

Because if you can take 2 mgr x4, that is not 10 mgr.

Would you have Ativan enough to do your own cross over?

Does a gone here have an answer to a direct cross over?

I am not a fan.

The Ashton manual is at our disposal and people cross over succefully. Also on a faster cross over.

Maybe Lynnie and Frotob can chime in here?

In one of rosegal's posts, she said the doctor said she could take one or two every six hours… so she has a lot to work with.  :thumbsup:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [la...]

• [ro...]

• [ly...]

• [et...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Challis99, he now says to take 2 or 2 and1/2 pills of the 2mg. Valium in the early part of day, then take 3 or 4 of the 2mg V in the evening. So thats about 4.5 mgs V in am and 6mgs V at nite. equal to about 1-1.25 ativan for the day? I really need a real cup of coffee. Am I overthinking this?

Challis99, he now says to take 2 or 2 and1/2 pills of the 2mg. Valium in the early part of day, then take 3 or 4 of the 2mg V in the evening. So thats about 4.5 mgs V in am and 6mgs V at nite. equal to about 1-1.25 ativan for the day? I really need a real cup of coffee. Am I overthinking this?

Hi rose,

10.5mg V = 1.05mg A.

I have to agree with Fro and E. If you are taking 1.125 A you NEED to cross over at the right amount, which would be 11.25 mg of V a day. If you do not cross over to the right amount you are setting yourself up for something you don't want. The right amount is of the utmost importance here!

I also see you dose twice a day. You take .25 at noon and .875 in the evening. There are different ways to cross over and done successfully by other members.

1-is the straight cross over. You would replace the .25 with 2.5 of V and then the .875 with 8.75 of V, in one fell swoop. Then you would hold to stabilize for about 4 weeks.

2-you mentioned the half and half. I am a big chicken and have done this most of my cross over. For you that would mean .125 of a and then 1.25 of v. You can do that for 5 days and then cross that dose completely over to V. Then hold there until you feel stable and then do your evening dose.

3-you could replace your morning dose and hold there for a week or two until you feel stable enough to cross your evening dose. Then you cross your evening dose and hold there until you stabilize.

Because of lack of instruction, I was dosing A 7 times a day as I kept getting inter dose withdrawal. I also hit a glitch in my cross over with that and with using milk, so my last 2 doses I am doing the replace a dose for dose and am doing just fine with that.

The choice is yours on what way to do it. IMO, since you are only dosing twice a day, dose for dose replacement might be best, but that is for you and your doctor to decide.

BUT make sure you cross over to the right amount.

Hope this helps a little.

Lynnie

lynn, do you think the straight c/o (#1) on your list of options. would be fine. Would I maybe have some Ativan w/d, or since I have the Valium, it would be less of an issue.? The third option,  do

Rose,

You could most certainly do the first option, people have done it successfully. Just want to let you know that A and v work on different receptors and no matter what choice you make, you are probably going to feel w/d no matter what. BUT having said that, if you do it at the right dosage, it will most likely be minimal. No one can predict how you will feel or how much w/d you will feel as everyone is different and reacts differently. After you choose what way you think is best for you, just do it. I remember the hard decison on what to do and I was taking my time to decide, I got hit with i/d w/d and had to do an updose..I held at that for 10 days, still felt ickey and said chuck this, picked what I felt comfortable doing, being the chicken I am, and dove into me cross over. Have never looked back and V is treating me better thus far.

Rose,

I would also say, that there is w/d from A, as I can feel it, for me it is minimal because the V is doing a pretty good job of covering it! I am functioning at almost normal level. :) 

Lynnie

lynn, do you think the straight c/o (#1) on your list of options. would be fine. Would I maybe have some Ativan w/d, or since I have the Valium, it would be less of an issue.? The third option,  do

Hi Rose,

Just remember that it can take a week or 2 for the valium levels to build up and provide the relief.

Hi Rose,

Just remember that it can take a week or 2 for the valium levels to build up and provide the relief.

:thumbsup: Meo is right! Thanks!

ok meo and lynn. Going to pick up diazepam now. baby steps. I will expect some adjustment of the v. To be realistic. Thanks for all your comments and info. Helps this gal.  :smitten:  rose  I will be checking in  alot

ok meo and lynn. Going to pick up diazepam now. baby steps. I will expect some adjustment of the v. To be realistic. Thanks for all your comments and info. Helps this gal.  :smitten:  rose  I will be checking in  alot

One step at a time is all you can do Rose!  :smitten: 

Have 2mg v pills.  If I do 10 mgs  a day dose in the beginning of c/o. , would a 1/10 th cut be 1mg. off/taper. Dr. said every 2 weeks. So then I would be at  9, 8, 7 etc....does this sound right? Wish he gave me 5mg pills. what is good? .5 off am dose and .5mg val off eve dose? He leaves me out here hanging.  Help  rose

Have 2mg v pills.  If I do 10 mgs  a day dose in the beginning of c/o. , would a 1/10 th cut be 1mg. off/taper. Dr. said every 2 weeks. So then I would be at  9, 8, 7 etc....does this sound right? Wish he gave me 5mg pills. what is good? .5 off am dose and .5mg val off eve dose? He leaves me out here hanging.  Help  rose

Am I reading this right, he wants you to taper 1mg every 2 weeks?

Yes lynn, he said to taper 1mg off every 2 weeks. He admitted most dr.s dont't like to do this and said I needed detox on anti seizure meds at the hospital for 2 wks. He said that I should find a dr. who specializes in benzo's. I founf BB because I don't want to go to hospital. What would a better taper plan be, do you think, rather than 1 mg off evry 2 weeks? ???  thanks for any idea  Rose

But you buddies think I should be at 11.25 V to begin. Ok then how to take 2x day?  Rose thanks so much  head hurts

Rose, have you read the Ashton Manual, and if so, have you shown it to your doctor concerning the equivalency of how much A equals how much V you should be on?

Lynnie

[bc...]

I would just like to see the sorry straight in one post, so here I go:

- you're on Ativan still? How much and when do you dose?

- you got 2 mgr tablets of V and the doctor give you 10 mgr a day?

- what kind of cross over are you thinking about?

Direct, slow, quicker?

- have you taken any V yet?

- did you want examples for cross over plans?

You don't have 11.25 mgr of Valium, so we got to work with the ten mgr. unless you find a new doctor, who will give you more, then we got to work with this amount...

Any specific reason you are doing twice a day?

You could do 3 or what else works for you.

I'm shocked to read how quick you would taper. A recommended taper rate would be 5-10% every two weeks or so, depending how you're doing.

Maybe you cold bring your doctor the Ashton manual and bringa cross over plan for the right equivalency for Valium and sit down one more time and see if he is willing?

You would be taking 0.125 in Ativan more...( you're not actually taking the Ativan but as an example of how much more that would be on your old benzo). Maybe that will make him see its not unreasonable to ask for 1.25 more Valium

( 1 mgr of Ativan is 10 mgr of Valium, that's how I can up with that example).

I would really like to help you but I'm a bit confused over where you're at right now...

Yes lynn, he said to taper 1mg off every 2 weeks. He admitted most dr.s dont't like to do this and said I needed detox on anti seizure meds at the hospital for 2 wks. He said that I should find a dr. who specializes in benzo's. I founf BB because I don't want to go to hospital. What would a better taper plan be, do you think, rather than 1 mg off evry 2 weeks? ???  thanks for any idea  Rose

Hi Rose,

Can you try and find a benzo wise dr, because a taper like your dr is suggesting is way too fast.

Most successful tapers are <10% every 2-4 weeks.

You can find a benzo wise dr here

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/988-recommended-doctors-therapists-or-clinics/

Hi Rose,

Can you try and find a benzo wise dr, because a taper like your dr is suggesting is way too fast.

Most successful tapers are <10% every 2-4 weeks.

You can find a benzo wise dr here

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/988-recommended-doctors-therapists-or-clinics/

I agree with Meo. Way too fast!  And please check put the link too see if you can try to find a benzo wise doctor.

Thank you all for help today I decided to do the 2.5 mg dose at 1 PM like everyone said and though I am tired I am not completely and totally spaced out as I was the last 2 days.  Off to a nap - still waking up with anxiety every day - it seems this never ends - wanted to move the .5 mg to the AM but figured didn't want to do anything until my body adjusts to the full cross over.  Rainy day so doing some clean up type work which kept me busy most of the morning I find that makes my anxiety less but it never does go away completely. 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Pa...]
    • [Th...]
    • [Di...]
    • [Ma...]
    • [ry...]
    • [de...]
    • [Ch...]
    • [di...]
    • [...]
    • [Ma...]
    • [Es...]