Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Foods low in Glutamate

[Ra...]

Hi all,

In looking around this site, there seems to be all kinds of information that states that when in benzo w/d, our glutamate runs wild without enough GABA to balance it.  If that is true, doesn't limiting food based glutamate make sense?

If I'm covering old ground here, someone please slap me.  I ran across this website of a Veterinarian who has done extensive research on this topic, more specifically how it relates to epilepsy, but I think this may benefit those going through benzo w/d.

His website does not appear to be copywrited, so I've copied and pasted his diet recommendations. 

Here is a link to his website as well. . .

http://dogtorj.com/g-a-r-d/what-is-the-g-a-r-d-summary/

Here is The GARD in a nutshell:

1) Eliminate all of the “big 4”- gluten (wheat, barley, rye), dairy products, soy and corn.

2) Eliminate all sources of MSG and aspartame (NutraSweet)

3) Restrict the intake of nuts, seeds and beans/legumes until recovery is achieved. (Legumes may be a long-term problem.) Some will also need to eliminate nightshades (white potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, and peppers) as these are also high lectin foods that can cause inflammation, particularly in the intestinal tract and joints.

4) Limit the consumption of gluten-free grains (quinoa, millet, flax, sorghum, amaranth and even rice) until neurological symptoms have improved as these are all very rich in glutamic acid.

5) Limit caffeine intake

6) Limit intake of refined sugar

7) Eliminate all trans fats/hydrogenated oils. (Read labels and research the hidden sources.)

8) Try to eat as organically as possible (to eliminate toxins/pollutants)

9) Drink filtered water

10) Take appropriate supplements (D3, omega threes, B complex, C, magnesium, selenium, magnesium, iodine, zinc, etc.)

What TO eat initially:

1) Vegetables

2) Fruits and berries

3) Lean meats* and fish (*in reasonable quantities, preferably the “cattle” – lamb, beef, venison, bison)

4) Eggs (nature’s true perfect food)

5) Sweet potatoes, yams

6) Limited quantities of rice (preferably unbleached wild rice)

7) Nuts and seeds are OK if the individual is not suffering from an “excitotoxin”-related disorder, such as epilepsy, fibromyalgia, insomnia, ADHD, etc.

Once recovery is well underway, you can add:

1) Gluten-free grain substitutes (millet, flax, sorghum, tapioca, amaranth, quinoa)

2) Nuts and seeds (with tree nuts being ideal)

3) Legumes/beans (if necessary and if desired. Some individuals are completely legume intolerant. I would always avoid soy, however.

4) Nightshades, IF one just can’t live without them. (White potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers). But…be watching for recurrence of symptoms, particularly arthritis.

Go slowly at first with these safe (non-damaging but glutamate-rich foods), making sure that symptoms do not recur. They shouldn’t as long as the leaky gut (created by one or more of the “big 4″) has resolved and the neurons have become healthier. But this process takes longer for some than others, especially in highly polluted environments. My worst and most resistant epileptics, for example, always live in the most polluted cities, especially those of the northeast, where vitamin D3 levels will typically the lowest among individuals living above the 33rd parallel.

Hi rabbit :) yes glutamate and glycine, and aspartate and basically anything that sounds like those words, are to be avoided...epilepsy, Alzheimer's, fibro, many autoimmune diseases from rampant glutamate...

Just wondering if you know why nuts are on that list? And beans? Is It because they are allergens? Alabamawerle also talked about having a low fat diet to help hypoglycemia and gut problems...

So much stuff to avoid...but, I think, everyone in the population would benefit from just avoiding wheat and soy alone

I still wonder about supplemental GABA too...it doesn't cross the BBB but there are GABA receptors in our gut and such, I would think if anything it could oppose the glutamate running around. But then I guess it comes down to lack of receptors to receive the GABA. Idono.

Hi KS,

I believe the nuts and legumes are on the NO NO list because they are high in glutamate. 

About GABA supplementation, I think the reason that it's a NO NO is that we are trying to get our bodies to regulate naturally.  Get those GABA receptors growing and functioning again.  If we took a GABA supplement, it would be almost the same as taking a benzo I believe.

Rabbit

Some nuts are much higher in glutamates than others. There are charts on this in a thread entitled "glutamate links" in the Alternative Theories board.

Peanuts and pumpkins seeds are VERY high glutamate.

Grapes and therefore raisins are very high glutamate.

Peanuts, raisins, and dark chocolate chips used to be a favorite snack for me on long drives. I could in no way tolerate this now.

Also whey is a big no-no, very very high on glutamate.

Dr. Russel Blaylock wrote 3 books about glutamate neuro toxicity. He also has a number of interviews and articles online that are free and easily accessible.

Nuts are in the list because of the protein. Like many allergens such as casein in milk and gluten, these are proteins and cause strong immune responses in certain people.

You can take my freedom, you can take my health, you can take my life as I know it, but you shall never get my nuts! lol. I am really getting into nuts right now, I eat them everyday, they help me, yes some are high in fat but some are great in moderation.

I sprinkle some walnuts and macadamia nuts with a tablespoon of mixed seeds on toasted wheat germ brown bread, which is covered in organic peanut butter, topped with chopped strawberries and blueberries, this is my daily breakfast. It might not be ideal but its better than what I used to eat. No way could I give up protein, I would rather just put up with the GI sx, which compared to my chocolate and bad w/d days are nothing!

You can take my freedom, you can take my health, you can take my life as I know it, but you shall never get my nuts! lol. I am really getting into nuts right now, I eat them everyday, they help me, yes some are high in fat but some are great in moderation.

I sprinkle some walnuts and macadamia nuts with a tablespoon of mixed seeds on toasted wheat germ brown bread, which is covered in organic peanut butter, topped with chopped strawberries and blueberries, this is my daily breakfast. It might not be ideal but its better than what I used to eat. No way could I give up protein, I would rather just put up with the GI sx, which compared to my chocolate and bad w/d days are nothing!

Lol...I wouldn't dare take away you nuts.

Fat is OK, I mean not the processed saturate fats and trans fats. But some vegetable fat and oils is good.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Rabbit,

I looked at your link to the GARD diet and it looks like it is very similar to the diet (PHD) that I have been on since December. I found it has really helped me to eliminate grains, especially wheat, (I was reacting to a lot of foods) and stay with safe starches like potatoes, sweet potatoes, taro root, and white rice. I'm fortunate that my wife likes to cook and she makes some yummy dishes that are very healthy and satiating, so we haven't missed the breads and have lost inches in the process. I ran across an article on the PHD diet website on the Ketogenic Diet and how it reduces glutamate levels. It has been used for years to help epileptics reduce seizures and excess glutamate and it helps people with migraines. Here is a link if you want to check it out.

Blessings on your recovery, Andrest

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/09/migraine-sufferers-should-try-a-ketogenic-diet/