Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Benzo use and weight loss?

[is...]

:-\

I've been on Benzos for the past few months and was wondering if anyone else had experienced weight loss?  6 months ago I was at 200lbs...now I'm at 190 and can't seem to gain any weight.  I work out every morning and eat right but just cant seem to get my weight back.  All of my clothes are baggy.

This past Sunday was the last day I took a benzo and just now beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel.  I went cold turkey once I realized this junk was hurting me more than helping.

Yes weight loss is normal.  Could you please tell us what dose you were taking and how often you were taking it and what is the duration of use.  We don't recommend cold turkey.  It can be dangerous to quit.  We advise a slow taper of 10% every 7 - 10 days to avoid any possible seizures.  Please let us know.

mal

Hi Island, my weight really fluctuated. It still does from time to time, some days it just drops. The weight loss problem seems to be quite common. When I'm like that it doesn't matter how much I eat, I still lose weight. It feels strange, but I think it may be normal.

Thanks for the replies.  I was taking anywhere from .25 to .50mgs a day...depending on how stressfull the day was and have been on them connsistently for over a year.  I actually began taking them to help me sleep and the fact that my job is actually 24-7. 

Thanks for the replies.  I was taking anywhere from .25 to .50mgs a day.

Hiya, islanddean...

You did'nt indicate which particular benzodiazepine you're taking? Could you please expand, so we can give you the best advice?  :)

Benzo use does cause a fluctuation in weight. Some people gain and some lose...| went up three dress sizes and was a little porker. But, as soon as I ingested my last dose the weight just fell off....I'm sure when you complete a sensible taper, the same will happen for you and you'll get back to your normal weight..... :thumbsup:

Hey I am more concerned about your cold turkey than how much weight you have lost.  How are you feeling?  By last Sunday do you mean you cold turkey'd a week ago?  Just want to make sure you are doing ok. Please let us know.

mal

Hi, ID,

If you hit any rough spots just know that we are here for you.  Cold turkey can cause problems.  I wish the best for you.

Patty  xo

Thank you for the kind words and support.  I was taking Xanax anywhere from .25 to .50mgs per day.  I do realize that going cold turkey from these things can cause problems but today I'm at day 9 and not feeling too bad.  I do get bouts of cold sweats, anxiety, a little depression and muscle weekness from time to time but so far I've been able to push through it.  I just want off these things so badly.

I am SOOOOO frustrated that my doctor NEVER explained all the nasty side effects that go along with benzo use.  He never mentioned the withdrawals either.  I guess that is my movitvation to never take one of those pills again. 

I hope all of you have a great week.  I am so glad I found this forum.

Oh good!  I am glad that your symptoms are not too bad.  Yes we all got caught without any warnings to what these meds can do to you.  The Dr.s say just keep taking them if you have side effects.  This site has helped so many and I am glad that we can help you.  Just keep pushing forward and if you have any questions or concerns please let us know.  As far as your weight loss, that is pretty normal.  Don't be too concerned.  I lost 23 lbs and it has started to come back on.  Take care!

mal

I use to be a bodybuilder and I lost over 12 lbs and I lost my muscles while being on the benzos, it just takes time to get back to our old selves.

• 3 weeks later...
I lost so much weight Im at 95lbs and 5'5 and nothing I do can help me gain back the weight.  Has anyone lost over 40lbs while on the benzo or from tapering?