Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Dealing with spouse

[b1...]

Lately my husband has become very unsupportive of me in my quest to be healthy again.  I had a horrible day and when he got home he looked at me and just said "so what's you problem today" (in a snarky voice).   

He was good at first but I've been sick (things in addition to the benzo withdrawal) for almost 4 months and he has just become really snippy with me.  I can't leave and recoup somewhere else as i have 2 kids to take care of.  On the days I'm feeling pretty good he's nice to me...just not on the days that I really need him to be nice.

I have tried to talk to him many times and he's just not listening anymore.  Any suggestions.

Beth

Hi b,

I was pretty much 'alone' when I was withdrawing, so I really didn't experience what you are dealing with. I have heard it echoed here though, many times. I have a friend who is also a member here who went through some of the same stuff with her husband. I will ask her if she'd like to stop by your thread and add her thoughts.

I'm sure there are others here who will share their situations and suggestions.

Linda 

Hi Beth,

I to have issues every now and then with this - I find it usually resolves itself with time but had some rough weeks with silence andnon support.  We do talk and I explain what I need and sometimes its better.  He said its hard to understand at  times and he feels useless because he cant fix it and even me seeking support here is hard for him at times as he feels it should be him but ive explained that i need someone who gets it because theyre there.  My advice - try to talk to him and be specific about what you need from him.  I find it frustrating being asked how you are all the time so when bad I give a signaland he knows i just need some extra tlc.

Best of luck Beth-this is tough on the best of marriages so know you are not alone

spring

• 2 weeks later...

I could easily cut and paste your post and place it in my blog. I am going through the same with mine as well. He is sick of me feeling this way. But at the same time he complains of a lot himself. Not physical ailments , but his job.

We had a huge blow out fight yesterday. My eyes are still swollen from crying. He hurt my feeling very badly with the things he said to me. I almost considered smoking again (I quit 1 month ago)!

Any way, I am still feeling crappy. Mornings are usually the time I feel the worst any way in regards to benzo withdrawl.

This tapering business is hard for all family members.  We feel alone, they feel alone.  I had to keep focused on me and the future.  I told my husband I would talk to him when I was healed.  It was hard enough just trying to breathe and think.  Soon this w/d process will be behind us and we can get on to a normal life.

Patty  xo