Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

withdrawal and surgery

[ph...]

Hi all! I'm just a lurker here but I thought I'd ask about something because it is scaring me. I have been off of benzos for 2 months now and of course I am still having residual brain problems. In 3 weeks I am having surgery and now I am starting to obsess about whether I'm gonna end up waking up in the middle or something because of my overactive brain rejecting the anesthesia. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with surgery during benzo recovery time? Any comfort would greatly appreciated because I am kinda freaking out.

Taryn

Hi all! I'm just a lurker here but I thought I'd ask about something because it is scaring me. I have been off of benzos for 2 months now and of course I am still having residual brain problems. In 3 weeks I am having surgery and now I am starting to obsess about whether I'm gonna end up waking up in the middle or something because of my overactive brain rejecting the anesthesia. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with surgery during benzo recovery time? Any comfort would greatly appreciated because I am kinda freaking out.

Taryn

Hi Taryn,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!! Congrats on being benzo free!! I don't have any personal experience of having surgery during benzo withdrawal and hopefully others may have some personal knowledge to share with you. I can understand your fear, I have provided an excerpt from The Ashton Manual that addresses this....

BENZODIAZEPINE USE DURING AND AFTER WITHDRAWAL

What happens if someone who is in the course of benzodiazepine withdrawal or has successfully withdrawn needs a surgical operation? Benzodiazepines are of value as premedication before major operations and for sedation and amnesia during minor surgical procedures. Yet many ex-users are terrified that if they are given a benzodiazepine for these purposes they will become dependent all over again. They can be reassured: a single dose of a benzodiazepine given for an operation does not bring back the addiction, although the stress of an operation may re-awaken the anxiety symptoms experienced during benzodiazepine withdrawal. Symptoms reported under these circumstances have usually been the result of fear. Many personally observed patients have had repeated doses of midazolam (Versed, Hypnovel), a short-acting benzodiazepine, for dental procedures (dental phobia is common in withdrawal), and other benzodiazepines including diazepam for major and minor surgery and have recovered without complications.

Also, people who have gone back on benzodiazepines, having failed at the first attempt at withdrawal, can be just as successful at tapering as first-timers.

Hope this eases your fears. Let us know how things go.

T2 :smitten:

What a great question Phoenix!!! I've been wondering the same thing!!!And how in world you could explain it to an anesthesiologist! But if anyone would know about GABA receptors it should be them! I would try and find the science not the medicine. There is a good source on line all about neurotransmitters and maybe you could start there. I'm sure you'll get more input from people on this forum. Good Luck!