Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Hydroxyzine withdrawal ~ is there one?

[Sa...]

I have been on Hydroxyzine for almost 2 years now. I am 27 months off the benzo still going into windows and waves.... but when I get off my hydroxyzine for a few days I get flared up and I am not sure if I am just going into a wave or if that could be my hydroxyzine? I wouldn't think Hydroxyzine would cause withdrawal symptoms or more so anything like the Benzo withdrawal symptoms???

Please respond! Thank you :)

Sam

Yes I do believe there is a w/d from Hydroxyzine.  It not only is a strong antihistamine but it also has some AD properties, so

wouldnt be suprised if it's causing some sxs.  Or perhaps you benzo w/d are being felt, or both.

You might wiki it and see what the w/d sxs are.

*Hugs*

Tink

• 2 weeks later...

Holy crap!!!! Thank you! I thought I was the only one that had withdrawals for this stuff!!!!

After doing my own research is it possible to have some w/d s/x. Nothing to be afraid of just I would taper off slowly that's all.

I couldn't imagine going cold turkey off this stuff.  Antihistamine or not, your body stops producing antihistamine when taking one so naturally you'll feel the effects when you stop taking it.

I've been weaning off the past couple months, was originally on 200mg and down to 62.5mg. I'm holding here since this past week coming off, I really started to feel it mood wise, just been up and down all week. Good news is that if you go slow the withdrawal is definitely manageable and my body usually adjusts well after a week.

I can see how it has some AD qualities to it since I've been feeling more and more depressed lately but of course this could be a combination of things.  I even feel I have a hard time focusing lately too and I've heard this can be a w/d s/x. 

the s/x I've experienced is increased muscle twitching (if you already have it), occasional chills, edginess, emotional, dizzy, some nausea, tiredness, shakiness, and increased heart rate. again, within a few days these s/x greatly lessen for me. recently I've been going through some health issues so that's also why i'm holding, been cutting back a 1/2 of a 25 mg pill.

Here is an article on Hydroxyzine (i.e., Vistaril):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroxyzine

I have taken it before, but only on an as needed basis.  It did help me sleep, but I never had any w/d sxs from it.  But again, I was on it for a very short time.  It would probably be wise to taper it since you've been on it for 2 years.

Wishing you well ...

• 11 months later...
I wanted to try this but forgot the name of it during my last spot. During my acute phase I got one off my neughboor and it actually put me to sleep for a few hours during the worst of it. I am currently on promethazine and could use this for three months to allow promethazine to begin working again. Looking at the Wikipedia its actually more powerful than a lesser known benzo so it is interesting to say the least.

Hey cantgetitright,

Boy, do I wish I had your body chemistry! 5mg klonopin cold turkey and recovered after 3.5 weeks?

I can barely manage a 1/16th mg cut every two weeks!

Hydroxyzine? I'm just now starting it...It doesn't do much so far...I'm tapering the halcion so my sleep is at risk...I only take it as needed.

With all this benzo tolerance and WD mess...I'm ascared to take anything.

Reduced to a frightened child

Brain fog

YEah I dunno why I am so resistant its sometimes a good thing but more often then not its bad as I have to take massive doses of anything to really feel it. My symptoms were already similar to withdrawal and I think that's why I handled it so well.

I have only takenhydrox once but the one pull I did take worked fairly well. As with any antihistimines though it likely reduces in efficiency fast, but being on promethazine for going on 20 years I think it will be a well earned break. You have my thoughts for your continued healing

. We will all make it through this horrible withdrawal, then we just have to learn to deal with our normal selves.

What if anything helped you sleep as you get off hydroxyzine ? I use it now it helps some,far from good but better than nothing.

The merck index says Hydroxyzine should not be used longer than 4 moths on a daily bases.  I does not say anything about tapering but that's generally a good idea to taper.  How long??? I guess what ever make you feel better but it does not say.

• 7 months later...
I might try Hydroxyzine sporadically to see if it would help with some of the agoraphobia situations.  I'm actually going to try Benadryl first.  I like the profile on Hydroxyzine and it makes our dr's look like idiots that they gave us a benzo first when this could have probably worked just as good for some people.

I use it sporadically for sleep after having taken it 3-4 times a week in early withdrawal & have never noticed any wdwl fx. It's been a very handy med for me as I was unable to tolerate any other antihistamines due to hangovers that would last 3/4 of the next day.

• 3 years later...

Hi Reba,

I have been tapering off Visteral for a while now.  I had been taking quite a bit of it so i worried about stopping abruptly and also i am so kindled and still recovering from a benzo ct.

Anyway, i'm not sure if i've been having wd symptoms or not.  Right now i am in an intense wave but pretty sure it's benzo related.  I've actually microtapered the Visteril.  Probably overkill but i'm just so cautious.

Karen

Hi Reba,

I was taking upwards of 300 mgs. a day for a while.

My anxiety throughout my benzo recovery has been horrific.  This definitely helped some.

I took it for about a year, maybe more.

I tapered by mixing the content of a 50mg with orange juice (60ml) and dumping a little more each day.

Hope that helps.

[19...]

I have bad w/d from Phenergan similar to Atarax  >:(

Only 25 mg and not every night always hold 2 nights every week and sometimes more to not get tolerance...It feels like a benzo/opiates w/d in a moderate version.

I did a C/T almost a week ago. Look at the w/d in the link...I have them all! Had antihistamine for 4 years. Had to stop because of very rapid heart beat. Today my skin is itchy like hell and bad cough.No one told me I had to taper them off but my heart was pounding and a rapid heart beat 24/7 I just stopped.  My sleep is a mess at the moment 2 hours this night scratch my itchy skin and really bad nausea. Phenergan works really good for insomnia. I am way to scared to use them again.The medicine is out of te body in 5 days but the body respond with rebound of not have the drug anymore.

http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/drugs-and-treatments/sleeping-pills-minor-tranquillisers-a-z/promethazine/

[19...]

I have been on Hydroxyzine for almost 2 years now. I am 27 months off the benzo still going into windows and waves.... but when I get off my hydroxyzine for a few days I get flared up and I am not sure if I am just going into a wave or if that could be my hydroxyzine? I wouldn't think Hydroxyzine would cause withdrawal symptoms or more so anything like the Benzo withdrawal symptoms???

Please respond! Thank you :)

Sam

What are your sxs?.How are you doing now?

• 11 months later...
When coming off this crap my OCD goes through the roof. I'd take a pill every other day here and there and couldn't figured out why I would cry and then get mad along with OCD. It's been a week and I'm still having OCD issues. Hope it clears up soon.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [ba...]
    • [Jo...]
    • [Li...]
    • [hu...]
    • [Sl...]
    • [Ch...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Be...]
    • [Sw...]
    • [Ra...]
    • [ro...]