Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

What she said! Thanks, EverGreen  :thumbsup:

As you can see from my conversation with All Tied Up, I'm on the Ativan trail but further up the mountain. It looks like that last mg is going to be a real party  :sick:  Did you have to hold a lot, like close to 50% of the time? Do you have wd sx right before your next dose is due (ID w/d)? Would 4 X/day dosing cure that?

I'm just a bundle of questions...

Aweigh 

When I was on the lower doses of Ativan, dosing 4 times a day really helped. That stuff leaves your system so fast. Althoufgh I eventually crossed to V. I remember moving from 3  to 4 doses per day and espcially at lower doses. but as long as you do not increase the daily dose, I don't see why that move wouldn;t help at any level or stage in your taper.

Hello Aweigh -

Remember that I entered the beginning of my taper already having been in a wretched, bed-bound state from ignorance about Ativan for months.  I had to fight my way back to having any windows at all.  It seems like you're being much more sensible with your cuts and holds than I was, and if you're relatively stable as you drop down toward the 1 mg point where I began, I'd like to imagine that you'd have a smoother time passing through that phase than I did.

In the beginning of the taper I did have interdose withdrawal, and in my journal I found where I wrote that I was watching the clock for my next dose.  But even so, it was infinitely better at four regular doses a day than it had been with just a few scattered doses.

Later in the taper the interdose withdrawal became less troublesome; I'd be a bit wiry and unsettled right before the dose was due but it was manageable.  In fact later in the taper my journal doesn't mention the interdose withdrawal at all.  I'm glad I kept a journal, because my memories of the time are quite blurry. 

As the taper progressed I would say I held maybe 25% of the time, but usually only for an extra few days until I felt more stable.  I would cut as soon as I felt good, which was too quick!  We had out of town family coming at the end of the summer, and I wanted to be off the drug when they were here.  I should have given my body more healing time instead!

Since I had so much trouble at .25 mg I held there the longest, and remarkably I had NO difficulty with the next cut, and in fact had several really good days in a row afterward.  Which, looking back, tells me even more that I pushed it too much and should have given myself at a minimum the 10 to 14 days for each cut that the Ashton manual recommends. 

After I passed .25, slowed to smaller cuts and got lower in dose, my windows of good days became longer, and I was happily able to do more activities with friends and family. 

Remember we all heal differently and may have different taper experiences.  You are wisely slowly working your way toward the completion of this chapter in your life.  It will become just a memory; you'll get to the other side and you will thrive! 

Feel free to ask questions at any time. This site, and this thread in particular, literally saved my life by giving me hope and educating me on Ativan withdrawal.  I'm more than happy to share my experience in the hopes it will help others. 

All the best,

Evergreen

Hey All,

I'm new to this forum - but very familiar with withdrawal and have been part of some forums on FB. My name is Matt & I posted some of my experiences over in the introduction thread where they pointed me in this direction. I've been taking Ativan for over a year at this point on a daily basis (part of the year in taper mode, prior to that 1mg 2x daily). I've been extremely disciplined in my taper and fighting through alot of the uncomfortable (to put it lightly) symptoms, which for me included anxiety, feelings like I'm about to pass out, afraid to leave the house on some days, etc. The worst for me is the subway, which if you've ever been to NYC it's impossible to travel without it, and I still have a stressful full time job I've been working at thus far. Most of these symptoms have arisen more intensely at the cut from 1mg -> .5mg which in retrospect was probably a bit drastic. I was able to hold it for a month, and this last cut was not quite as bad, but still pretty intense. My questions are mostly about the future, specifically:

Were any of you able to successfully dry-taper off ativan directly?

(Dr is opposed to liquid ativan for some reason and when I asked about crossing over brought up Xanax which was a huge red flag not to push the issue.).

What is the lowest effective dose of ativan? In other words: I can cut the lowest pill into 4 - which is .175 - however is that going to be a huge jump off? Too big even?

For right now, I'm solid and adjusting to my new cut of to .375mg - however whenever I've not planned properly I've always ended up in more of a mess with this thing so I'd appreciate any insight! Thanks again for your time.

Hi Map, just want to answer you, although I find your questions a little hard to answer.

I have had the feeling of passing out, or feeling like you are going to.  Actually I have passed out.  But that s/x has decreased as I descreased my dose.  I think ativan plays havoc with your blood pressure.

Yes people have successfully dry cut all the way off of Ativan.  Your chances seem good of being able to do that since you were not on for many years and also based on what you have already cut.

If you go slowly enough and cut small enough amounts, you may be able to adjust to the very low dose as you have been, even though its not in a very therapeutic range.

Its hard to say if .125 is too high to jump from.  It so depends on the person.

One person on here just jumped from half of that .0625.

I really have no good answer for what is good to jump from.

You had a lot of symptoms jumping down from 1 to .5, so maybe that's telling you to cut smaller amounts.

You can get ativan compounding into a solution that will allow you to cut smaller amounts if you wish.  Or you might be fine just cutting down the pills as best you can.  If it starts getting a whole lot harder than it has been, you might want to consider going with compounded doses or water titration.

But generally smaller cuts are better.

Just an update here. I am at .08 mg a day total. I picked up my last compounded Ativan prescription yesterday. Ready or not, this is my last month. I'm going to try hard to taper below .04 or so before I run out. I am anxious about what it will be like to be off. But I'm also thrilled at the idea if not being attached to this stuff any more.

I'm going fast now so I have little waves that are pretty unpleasant but I can generally wait them out with a movie or going to the gym. I just feel mildly poisoned or flu-like. A little depression. Headaches. But the idea of being on the other side if this pushes me forward.

I hope to soon be writing my success story and I hope that it will help others to be optimistic who are in the midst if this nightmare. It was very bad for me at times. And that's why it took over a year of my life to taper. I'll keep y'all posted.

Too much, [glow=red,2,300]BDR[/glow]---now all the hard work pays off. Can I come with you?  :smitten:

[glow=red,2,300]A question for all:[/glow]

I'm thinking of switching to 4X/day dosing for my direct Ativan taper from my current 3X/d , because I get inter-dose w/d sx starting about 2 hours before my next dose is due. Does this need to be done gradually (and if so, how?) or can I just start the new program tomorrow?

As always, thanks,

;)

Aweigh

Just an update here. I am at .08 mg a day total. I picked up my last compounded Ativan prescription yesterday. Ready or not, this is my last month. I'm going to try hard to taper below .04 or so before I run out. I am anxious about what it will be like to be off. But I'm also thrilled at the idea if not being attached to this stuff any more.

I'm going fast now so I have little waves that are pretty unpleasant but I can generally wait them out with a movie or going to the gym. I just feel mildly poisoned or flu-like. A little depression. Headaches. But the idea of being on the other side if this pushes me forward.

I hope to soon be writing my success story and I hope that it will help others to be optimistic who are in the midst if this nightmare. It was very bad for me at times. And that's why it took over a year of my life to taper. I'll keep y'all posted.

We're so happy for you BDL that you're almost home free! 

:smitten:

aweigh,

Just start the 4 doses per day tomorrow, the overall dose wont change but I think it will deffinately help with the interdose witdrawals.

Stay positive. try to relax.

Hello Aweigh -

I agree with All Tied Up.  Choose a day to begin at 4 doses and make the switch.  Your overall dose isn't changing, and as your body adjusts to the new dosing times the four doses will help reduce the inter-dose withdrawal.  Once you make the change I'd hold for a little to let your body adjust to the new dosing schedule before making another cut.

aweigh 

When I was still on Ativan I dosed 4 timesaday as we already discussed.

I started with 4 equal doses. But because I am retired now I slept for at least 8 hours so I would wake up with morning anxiety.

So I took my daily dose. which for you right now, I believe is 5.5 mgs. and divided it in 24 hours. that equals .23/hr.

I knew I slept for 8 hrs. as I said so 8 x .23 =1.8 mgs. at bedtime. that leaves 3.7 to devideinto 3 equal doses. or 1.23 mgs 3 time during the day.

I was titrating as they into 100 mls. of water so I was able to make these exact measurements.

This is something you may want to consider doing as your total daily dose gets lower.

Right now at 5.5 mgs I doubt if it is needed.

All the best my friend.

Remember, practice healthy eating, stay away from booze, and take up yoga/mediation practices, I these help a great deal.

Hello Everyone -

I was put on Ativan in Dec 12 due to a horrible reaction to some Steroids that I was taking.  They wanted me on 2mg but I argued and started at 1.5mg (.5 x 3 times a day), never fully feeling relief from the anxiety that the Steroid caused.  In the beginning of Jan 13, I tried stepping down to 1.25 because I was worried about dependence.  It was horrific. I updosed to 1.375 and held to become mildly stable by mid-February.  I took a step 2 weeks ago from 1.375 to 1.25.  The first week was not fun, but I could deal.  The second week since the drop has been hellish - dizziness, no appetite, insomnia, weak yet anxious.  I know that my adrenal system hasn't fully recovered from the steroid itself, so that may be impacting things.  I'm scared to crossover to Valium because I'm already feeling depressed from all of this.  I am also on 18mg of Remeron which at least can get me to sleep at night.

I am thinking that I need to make smaller cuts, and hope that might make the sx less.  I have some compounded liquid that will allow me to drop at .05mg at a time.  I feel so bummed because 2 years ago I was on Ativan for insomnia for just 1 month at 1mg.  I stopped it one day, and never felt a thing!! 

Do you think that if I decrease my cuts, I can progress with less side effects?  I need to be functional because I have two little kids to take care of and the first two cuts have been too much!  Ugh.  Maybe I need to also considering switching to dosing 4 times a day.  Thanks for any tips!!  PS -  my pdoc thinks that these symptoms are all in my head, but is supportive of whatever taper I want.

Hey Kiki. So sorry to hear about your troubles. But we can all certainly relate.

You will definitely feel less withdrawal if you come down in smaller increments. The fact that you have liquid Ativan puts you far ahead in the game compared to so many on here.

My magic decrease number was .08 every 3 to 4 days. More if I thought I could handle it. I'm almost done but it has taken me a year. Your body will let you know what is a good speed.

Like you I took benzos on and off my whole life and never had a problem. It must be like a lock and key. Once it fits or takes for whatever reason, you are locked in until you can wiggle out like Houdini.

But it's very possible to do it AND stay functional. I am proof.

Functional doesn't mean you'll always be in the best , most comfy mood. But it's doable.

Good luck!

BDL

kiki20

I think your idea of splitting your dose up into 4 daily doses will help as well.

Also, though these SXS do really exist and are not only in our head, we can makethem a lot worse by dwelling on them and stacking fear and worry on top of the SXS we have. Try to learn some calming/relaxation techniquesthat work for you. I found breathing exercises and japanese flute music to be particularly calming. As much as you can maketime for yourself to go to a room where you can practicethis stuff without being disturbed, 20-30 minutes a day is good.

Hang in there and stay positive, in the end all we have is ourself and our beliefs.

Gog bless.

Hello Kiki20 -

I was in a similar situation; Ten years ago I was on klonopin for about a month and had no trouble getting off at all.  When anxiety from hyperthyroid started last year, I was put on ativan.  With much different results this time around!

Smaller cuts are definitely the way to go.  When you switch to four doses a day, you might want to hold there a little bit until your body adjusts to the new timing schedule.  Almost treat it as if it were a cut too. 

My pharmacist told me that the compounded ativan has a shelf life of 30 days or so, (refrigerated) so keep in mind you'll be asking your doctor for a new prescription about once a month.  Hopefully for a smaller number of milliliters each time!

You're lucky that you have a supportive doctor, even if he is skeptical.  Mine also felt it was all in my head, and I found that he didn't want to hear details about the symptoms I was having.  He was supportive of the slow taper though, and just wanted to know how many milliliters of compounded ativan I needed for the next month. 

Remember you are not alone in this, there are many of us here to support and encourage you and who know exactly what you're going through.  Listen to your body and take your time.

Thanks so much for all of your support - it means the world to me right now to know some people know what misery this all is.  I'm sure I will have more questions as the weeks go on.  My head felt like it was going to explode from pressure today when I forced myself out to Target.  An accomplishment to get to Target though so that's what I'll focus on!!

All Tied Up:

Sorry for the late reply. I seem to get back to sleep fairly quickly, so I might try having a dose right by the bedside and if I awaken during the night, take it and go right back to sleep. If I don't awaken, so much the better.

If that doesn't work at all, then the method you describe might be the way to go. I'd prefer to have all my doses equivalent, but I'd prefer a lot of things.

Aweigh

I had a question - I just picked up my compounded liquid ativan and replaced a .25 dose last night.  I felt horrible after it and realized that the solution is part ethyl alcohol.  This seems counterintuitive to me - are ativan solutions all dissolved in alcohol?

I'm not sure if all are made with alcohol but I'm sure many do use alcohol as a solvent.

You may be able to request non alcohol solution.  Alcohol can be problematic for benzo withdrawal and many of us would prefer not to have to ingest that.

I've seen many debates about this on BB, what is a solution and what is a suspension.  Basically its this:  in a solution, the particles will not settle out.  In a suspension, the particles will eventually settle out.  However, a suspension can work as some suspending agents will keep the particles suspended for a good while and also if you just shake it up it will re-suspend the particles.  Many people do this with their own homemade suspension preparations.  It can be done with water but the particles will settle out faster out of water than anything else.  However, its possible to use it anyway.

There are other concoctions you can get such as ora-plus, its a suspension agent.

I wouldn't want to use alcohol to do this either.

Mairin33:

Commercial solns. are made with either alcohol or one of the glycols, for those who can't tolerate alcohol. The amount of alcohol consumed in my method ranges from 1-4 mL, less than 1/5 of a standard drink.

I prefer to work with a solution rather than a suspension, but as you say, both can be used. The differences can be subtle, and then there are dispersions, another ball of wax--or, more likely, oil.

I don't drink alcohol anymore, 'cause it makes me sick now, but the amount I use in this taper has no effect; the dose is too small.

Aweigh

Thanks for your responses.  What is your concentration of liquid Ativan?  My pharmacy could only go down to .5/ml which will only allow .05 cuts.  He said that if it was diluted amymore, it would get inaccurate.  That can't be true though since plenty of people on here can make smaller cuts.  Thanks!!

My pharmacist made the liquid Ativan at .1 mg per ml.  That's the way my doctor wrote it up; he was trying to make the math easy.  It didn't occur to me that it might not be accurate at that dose; I just trusted my doctor knew what he was doing.  Maybe that was a mistake!  I did have to shake it before each use.

It took me a little while to adjust to the liquid.  Maybe it's absorbed a little differently than the pills?  Once I did the only problem I had with it (other than expected withdrawal issues from the drug itself) was a batch that they made ENTIRELY too sweet.  It was nasty!  I had to take it back and have it re-done.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [ro...]
    • [Pe...]
    • [Li...]
    • [kn...]
    • [Bl...]
    • [de...]
    • [Ne...]
    • [bi...]
    • [Ca...]
    • [...]
    • [Gr...]