Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Fava Beans

[...]

Here is what fishingguy posted on my other fava beans thread.  I never knew this stuff about fava beans.  Sounds dangerous to me.  I officially "RECANT" my threads about fava beans.  I would not recommend them to anyone!  Sorry people!!!  I thought it would be safe to recommend what I THOUGHT were healthy foods.  I was wrong.  Please forgive me.

Here is what I copied from Wikipedia concerning Fava beans:

Broad beans are rich in tyramine, and thus should be avoided by those taking monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors.[citation needed]

Raw broad beans contain the alkaloids vicine, isouramil and convicine, which can induce hemolytic anemia in patients with the hereditary condition glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency (G6PD). This potentially fatal condition is called "favism" after the fava bean.[3][4]

Broad beans are rich in L-dopa, a substance used medically in the treatment of Parkinson's disease. L-dopa is also a natriuretic agent, which might help in controlling hypertension.[5]

Areas of origin of the bean correspond to malarial areas. There are epidemiological and in vitro studies which suggest that the hemolysis resulting from favism acts as protection from malaria, because certain species of malarial protozoa such as Plasmodium falcipacrum are very sensitive to oxidative damage due to deficiency of the glucose 6-phosphate dehydrogenase enzyme, which would otherwise protect from oxidative damage via production of glutathione reductase.[6]

The seed testas contain condensed tannins[7] of the proanthocyanidins type[8] that could have an inhibitory activity on enzymes.[9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fava_beans

Here is what fishingguy posted on my other fava beans thread.  I never knew this stuff about fava beans.  Sounds dangerous to me.  I officially "RECANT" my threads about fava beans.  I would not recommend them to anyone!  Sorry people!!!  I thought it would be safe to recommend what I THOUGHT were healthy foods.  I was wrong.  Please forgive me.

Broad beans are rich in tyramine, and thus should be avoided by those taking monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors.[citation needed]

Raw broad beans contain the alkaloids vicine, isouramil and convicine, which can induce hemolytic anemia in patients with the hereditary condition glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency (G6PD). This potentially fatal condition is called "favism" after the fava bean.[3][4]

Broad beans are rich in L-dopa, a substance used medically in the treatment of Parkinson's disease. L-dopa is also a natriuretic agent, which might help in controlling hypertension.[5]

Areas of origin of the bean correspond to malarial areas. There are epidemiological and in vitro studies which suggest that the hemolysis resulting from favism acts as protection from malaria, because certain species of malarial protozoa such as Plasmodium falcipacrum are very sensitive to oxidative damage due to deficiency of the glucose 6-phosphate dehydrogenase enzyme, which would otherwise protect from oxidative damage via production of glutathione reductase.[6]

The seed testas contain condensed tannins[7] of the proanthocyanidins type[8] that could have an inhibitory activity on enzymes.[9]

That's interesting what you've found out about fauva beans, sickle-cell anemia is a genetic adaptation to fighting off malaria.

Okay, my experiment with fava beans didn't go too well. I boiled them for about 4 hours and they still were tough, so I put them down the garbage disposal and now my sink is clogged. Oh well, it could have been worse.  :crazy:

That's interesting what you've found out about fauva beans, sickle-cell anemia is a genetic adaptation to fighting off malaria.

Okay, my experiment with fava beans didn't go too well. I boiled them for about 4 hours and they still were tough, so I put them down the garbage disposal and now my sink is clogged. Oh well, it could have been worse.  :crazy:

Is there such a thing as fava guilt?  I wish I never would have even brought them up!  Kidney beans are good though.  I would rather have fava guilt than favism.  lol

Is there such a thing as fava guilt?  I wish I never would have even brought them up!  Kidney beans are good though.  I would rather have fava guilt than favism.  lol

LOL, rofl. I guess I shouldn't have made them from scratch. I always do beans from scratch, but I have no idea how people prepare them! Done!

Don't feel too guilty, I don't think anyone here will try them now. lol

LOL, rofl. I guess I shouldn't have made them from scratch. I always do beans from scratch, but I have no idea how people prepare them! Done!

Don't feel too guilty, I don't think anyone here will try them now. lol

Good point, Nicolette.  I feel much better now.  he he rofl lol    :laugh:

Between your reports and Nicolette's culinary adventures, no-one will even want to go near them! :laugh:

The beans might actually be therapeutic in that they can make you laugh.  If you are planning on still trying some fava beans, make sure you have the following phone numbers readily available:

911    :stretcher:

your local plumber    :oops:

:-[

RFB,

Blowfish?  Please tell me people do not ever eat blowfish.  I'll take fava beans over blowfish any day!

Kian

From what I've heard blowfish are a delicacy in Japan and there are highly specialized chefs who learn how to take there poison sacs out so people can eat them.