Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Those who took trips while in w/d

[Th...]

Thanks alot Laura I know I really need to go just to prove to myself that i can still have a normal life even though the w/d make me feel so far from normal sometimes  ???::)

[de...]

At the beginning of my taper, technically-

Wisconsin to Massachusetts to LI to NY (Upstate) to TN to WI again, RI, Vermont, Back to MA to IL to NY.

As I can remember.

Hi TheGift :).

I had to travel all throughout my taper, had no choice having elderly parents across the country.  I live in Atlanta and not that you will need it, but I'm sure you are aware that we have top medical facilities here.  I don't know how far you would be traveling from.  I had to fly to the W. Coast multiple times every year which did lead to some jet lag and sleep issues.  However, it seems you are still pretty early in your taper so perhaps that won't be as much of an issue as it could be when you get lower in dose.  I agree with some of the other posts that it is a lot easier to travel when you have somebody with you who can drive and support you.  I think the water is fine here but you can drink bottled water if you prefer.  In general, it is a good idea to stay well hydrated while traveling, as Cupcake alluded to.  If you are flying, I would try to avoid the middle seat, perhaps you can get an aisle and middle seat with your hubby so if you need to get up and stand or use the restroom, you will be able to do it when you want without climbing over another passenger (you take the aisle ;)).  I hope this heat wave will end before you come out here. It's been close to 100 degrees and very humid the last couple days ::).  Let me know if you need any restaurant recommendations.   Also, when I traveled while I was tapering, I sometimes held my taper a week before and through the trip for a few weeks so that I would enjoy my trip more.

Best wishes and Bon Voyage,

Vertigo

Thanks guys you actually make me feel excited about going now! We are driving and its only about a 6 hour drive from TN so that shouldn't be too bad. My worse fear is ill have a panic attack and have to updose just to function! That's something I'm totally against but its one of my what if obsessions!

Thanks guys you actually make me feel excited about going now! We are driving and its only about a 6 hour drive from TN so that shouldn't be too bad. My worse fear is ill have a panic attack and have to updose just to function! That's something I'm totally against but its one of my what if obsessions!

Remember that a panic attack is just a psychological reaction to perceived stress.  There is no "need" to updose.  It might be helpful to read up on mindfulness and meditation, so you can breathe through those mini panics that could arise.  I had two mini panics after my taper (at 3 and 5 months off).  I had never had a panic attack before valium or during taper.  Fortunately I was aware of breathing and mindfulness techniques so I could talk myself through them and prevent a full scale panic.  For me, it was rebound anxiety, my body adjusting to having no more benzo to numb my nerves artificially.  It can also help to get checked out physically.  I had a coronary scan, stress treadmill test... after my c/t a few years ago.  I was assured that I had a healthy heart although I did end up taking a statin as a preventive measure.  Once you know you are fine, it is easier to adjust your self talk when the inklings of a panic attack could be starting, breathe through them and calm yourself down.  

Vertigo

hey TheGiftofLife, I took a trip to Atlanta and Nashville from New England

I think it did me some good with facing some of my fears especially the social anxiety only problem was the lack of sleep, but it was not as bad as I thought it would be.....I actually enjoyed most of it...

• 2 weeks later...
[94...]

I'm sitting in Chicago airport now. I'm finally back in the usa.

Just wanted to drop in and tell everyone that not only did I survive, I thrived. I spent two weeks in the UK and Ireland, with a different hotel and a different city every night, and I havent felt this good in months.  I think this strenuous experience forced me to cope and helped distract me. 

I walked around  a different city every day, and it felt wonderful.  Yesterday I walked three miles to see bucking palace, and it was amazing.  As far as healing, I think this trip was the absolute best thing I could have done for myself.

Take care everyone:)

I think it did me some good with facing some of my fears especially the social anxiety only problem was the lack of sleep, but it was not as bad as I thought it would be.....I actually enjoyed most of it...

My sweet buddy, the UK AND IRELAND.. What a trip you must of had....  I am so happy that you felt really good on your vacation..  Sometimes a change can make a big difference in how we feel..... It is good that you faced your fears right now... Now your fears should get less and less all the time because you made this big move on going on a trip...

I hope you are rested now and feel good

Stay well and sleep well

Luv

Mishi

I was afraid too! Almost done with my taper and had the same thoughts and fears. But I took the trip to Arkansas - a long ways from home. Once I got there, I was fine -  and realized the fear and anticipation was what was tripping me up. I had a great time. There were a couple times I needed to be by myself and there are always opportunities to do that if you need to. Because I did take that trip, I'm not afraid to do it again - it was good therapy. Hope that helps.  :)

amb

I have to put my teenagers on the plane to go to Florida to visit their dad. I live in Great Falls, Montana. It is much cheaper flights if I fly the kids to Billings, Montana so I do this. My grown daughter and her two babies live in Billings so of course that is where I stay when I go. It is about 3 and 1/2 hours from Great Falls in the summer. In the winter if there is snow it can be a much longer trip. Before all this withdrawal thing happened I use to drive by myself on snowy days to Billings! Now I don't dare go unless my husband goes and drives some of the way. In fact this last time I didn't go at all. I paid my daughter gas money to bring the kids to me here. I have even sent my husband and other son to go and either put them on the plane or pick them up. I worry that I will not sleep well there and not feel good. I am getting tired of this. I WILL make the next trip to Billings, withdrawal and all! This will probably be at Christmas time and yes, in the snow. I will make my husband go with me though.

Even though my anxiety was high most of the trip and I had a few panic attacks along with other s/x, I actually felt ok when we were out shopping and out to eat and thats something I haven't been able to do in a while! Fieldychan im glad you enjoyed your trip! Miss Kim I pray that you enjoy your trip when the time comes. Zombie I was anticipating the worst but actually the good outweighed the bad!!!!!!

I took several trips while in withdrawal, and I'm lucky they all went pretty good. I remember driving 1,000km to Czech and back, going through streets of Prague having nasty lightheadedness, burning, chest and head pressure, but I told myself that nothing is going to nail me down!  :boxer:

On two trips I was feeling bad to the day of departure, didn't know should I cancel them or what. Luckily, I was feeling pretty well while away from home, but bad SXs hit me as soon as I returned... like my body was completely determined not to give me troubles while away from home :)

At the end, I'm really happy I took those trips -- because of them, I can tell this year was nice and not ruined by withdrawal!

Even though my anxiety was high most of the trip and I had a few panic attacks along with other s/x, I actually felt ok when we were out shopping and out to eat and thats something I haven't been able to do in a while! Fieldychan im glad you enjoyed your trip! Miss Kim I pray that you enjoy your trip when the time comes. Zombie I was anticipating the worst but actually the good outweighed the bad!!!!!!

My sweet buddy, the UK AND IRELAND.. What a trip you must of had....  I am so happy that you felt really good on your vacation..  Sometimes a change can make a big difference in how we feel..... It is good that you faced your fears right now... Now your fears should get less and less all the time because you made this big move on going on a trip...

I hope you are rested now and feel good

Stay well and sleep well

Luv

Mishi

Hi sweet buddy again; I would love to see pictures of your trip....When you can of course

Hope you are doing well

Luv

Mishi

No more pain for you

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [He...]
    • [Ro...]
    • [Kr...]
    • [Jo...]
    • [Tr...]
    • [be...]
    • [Ab...]