Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Which Benzo is worse?

[24...]

Yes off-label means using the drug for a purpose that it is not FDA approved for (no clinical trials investigating that specific use that were evaluated/approved by the FDA.) It is perfectly legal in the United States.

I know in the UK and Australia Klonopin is only licensed for epilepsy. In the USA it is only approved for epilepsy and panic attacks.

About two years ago I did try Klonopin one time. A doctor wanted to switch me to it. I took one pill and had a bad reaction. I felt like a complete zombie and all I could do is sit in one place and stare. I told the doctor no way. He kept me on Ativan because of this. This is a good thing after hearing the Klonopin stories. Ativan has been pretty easy to do the cross over to Librium. I have faith that it will be a smooth ride tapering off the Librium if I go nice and slow and take my time. It may take a year but that's ok as long as I NEVER encounter again what I did in detox. I know I will probably have my days I don't feel so well but it will outweigh the rapid withdrawal I once went through.

And to think of the nice dr who switched me over from xanax to klonipan so I wouldn't get hooked on the Xanax. 

they tried to do that to me but i didnt take it. i read the side effects and i was like fuck that :sick:

Well - of the two that I have experience with Klonopin was far more dangerous to me than xanax for paradoxical reasons.

Xanax relief for me was immediate and came on it a pleasant wave that said DANGER DANGER - in other words I knew this was a drug that could be problematic if I wasn't careful, so my use was strictly as-needed for over a decade.  In doing so I would go weeks, months and even years between taking some.

Klonopin was Rx to me on an daily basis w/refills.  Rather than take it on an as-needed basis when I had a panic attack, I took it prophylactically to prevent anxiety from building in the first place (as it was prescribed to me).  Anyway, it didn't feel as dangerous and I was told it wasn't a problem so I wasn't worried about dependency.  Big mistakes. 

[24...]

IMO-

Xanax- The backfire one, it creates what you take it for!  :pokey:

Klonopin- The coma one, you don't even know what it's doing until you try to come off it!  >:D

Ativan- The mind eraser!  :crazy:

Valium- The mellow, tricky one!  :brickwall:

Never been on Librium. ???

[24...]

And what I don't get is this-

Valium is more sedating than Klonopin, yet Klonopin supposed to be more potent.

After about two weeks c/o to Valium, I was so sedated, it was somewhat like a morphine effect (slightly).

I felt some better, but at the same time just sedated like I wanted to sleep all day.

With Klonopin, I never got the sedation.. no matter how many I took, there was no sedation, just a calm feeling.

Most people have only withdrawn from one benzo, after that they are smart and don't touch them anymore...so naturally they will say whatever one they withdrew from is the worst..i've noticed those who have went through w/d more than once tended to use the valium first.

On the other hand, there are more Klono and Xanax stories because they seem to be prescribed more often nowdays. Seems like Ativan is given to older folks who stay on it for years and years with no plans to withdraw from..in my experience.

Xanax and Klonopin may have the upper hand in creating more problems because they have a feel good factor to them, making it more likely to be abused in larger amounts.

Ativan didn't make me feel good when I was on it, but it sure seems to make you feel bad when your off. I think Ativan is the worst IMO.

love cupcake

I've only been on Xanax. Both Xanax and Klonopin are high potency. Xanax being short-acting, I was probably in inter-dose withdrawal quite a bit. I took it daily after a certain point but my dosing was so irregular. Now that I am tapering and it's even dosing I actually don't feel as bad as the up and down---yet.

I'm dry-cut tapering Xanax with no rx for Valium so I'm afraid the last little bit is going to be a kicker.

The thing I've heard about Klonopin time after time, is people's sx's when tapering and after being free. A lot of buddies complain about burning feelings.  :therethere:

I'm sorry to hear about that, I wish we all knew what they did to us when we picked up our first script.

@Sigma0123, in regards to your comment on what each benzo does and you said you don't know what Librium does. Well, it makes you slow and tired all the time. I feel more alert on it though, unlike the Ativan.

I would vote for Ativan..I've tried Xanax in the past though I never had a longstanding prescription for it..I've been prescribed Flourazepam (Dalmane), and Valium, and Temazepam (at high doses sometimes) in addition to the Ativan and I would say the Ativan is the worst by far.  I didn't feel completely screwed up from benzo's until I was on Ativan for a decent duration (6 weeks straight).  It was relatively easy for me to quit benzo's the first time and I had started with Temazepam, went to Flourazepam, and then to Valium.  This time with starting on the Ativan it has really taken a toll on me and been a lot harder and it didn't even do that much good to begin with.  I think it might have something to do with it lasting long and having a short half-life but I'm not sure.  Dalmane lasted a long time too but it's half-life was longer from what I remember and I never had a problem getting off of it.

Xanax was worse for me but its because I went off of it cold turkey!  It was HELL and I was on .25mg once a day for 5 days then nothing!  

I had major anxiety, insomnia, diarrhea, body aches, racing thoughts, depression, headaches, pins and needles, pacing!

It sucked.

Im tapering off a low dose of Klonopin so the withdraw hasnt been as bad as going cold turkey off of XANAX

Wow, I'm sorry for your c/t experience leahnc, I didn't know you can have withdrawal symptoms after only 5 days. That just goes to show you how potent Xanax is. Klonopin has the same potency though so tapering is probably what makes it not so bad for you. Glad you found BenzoBuddies.

They are all bad but for me it was Ativan and I heard and read that Klonopin and Xanax were harder too.  I am guessing that it might be because they have a shorter half life.

I'm starting to believe that they are all the same. There is not one that you can just stop taking suddenly and feel normal again. They are all poison to our bodies. I wish they had never been invented. Decades before us, people never had them and nobody was in withdrawal either. Shame on the person who invented them and didn't invent one that was not addictive or should I say "tolerence building." I feel that every doctor in this country should be ordered by the government and given five years slowly do crossovers and slow tapers with all their patients on these drugs and it should be ordered that no more new people be prescribed these drugs. Then when everyone in this country is tapered off, I feel the government should ban these drugs and no doctor should be allowed to prescribe them. I feel the only place they should be allowed is for the one time thing they use in surgery.