Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

What can anyone tell me about Seroquel

[Po...]

I have a long psych history with various meds. I currently only take 7.5mg of mirtazapine to help me sleep. But I’ve not been sleeping well for a while. The mirtazapine isn’t working like it was. I have night time back & shoulder pain and life is stressful now for various reasons I won’t bore anyone with. The point is I’m not sleeping well and that of course exacerbates the pain & vise versa all of which elevates my anxiety. I’m tired, crabby and struggling. My psych doc wants to try me on a lower dose of seroquel  thinking it will help me with sleep. He claims I can just stop it if it doesn’t help or I get unpleasant side affects. I have my doubts about that though. The other choice he gave me was doxepin which I was on 20 years and did fine with but it’s not a preferred choice due to some of the potential side affects for folks my age. I’m 75 and I get bouts of AFIB. I’ve asked my cardiologist what he thinks about both drugs. My psych doc claims seroquel would be a safer bet but I’m even skeptical of that. Just wondering if anyone here can share what they know about seroquel 

Hi, @[Po...], i've not taken seroquel, although i'm well aware of mirtazapine.

Just a suggestion. Why don't you try a search option here to find more information on seroquel? I do know this medication has been discussed lots of times on BB and  there are members who took it. You would be able to find those people and their opinion even if they, for some reasons, miss your post. It would be "seroquel" or "quetiapine".

Good sleep to you and no pain!

• Like 1

Ok I will do a search here. I did some googling for seroquel and it doesn’t sound like something I’m really eager to take. An article by 3 university of Connecticut docs were not keen on using it for sleep alone. Some of the side affects even at low doses  sound to be no fun either. 

My cardiologist has ruled out my taking seroquel. It has the potential to trigger my paroxysmal AFib or other arrhythmias. 

@[Po...] I did a very short experimental course of Seroquel for insomnia and I have to tell you it worked like a charm. At only 12.5mgs (half the lowest dose) it put me right out. BUT BUT BUT the next day s/x were awful. I felt like a zombie, and as the day wore on I got terrible nausea. Anyhow like a doofus I tried it again the next night. It didn't put me out as dramatically as the first night AND I was awakened with a "nausea attack" at 3 a.m. Jeez Louise. So no more Seroquel for me. I'll go back to CBD and CBN gummies with a bit of THC thrown in.

Apparently hundreds of folks (reviews on Drugs.com) really like it at a low dose (12.5 mgs) for insomnia, but I couldn't tolerate it. Sad.

Hope this helps,

Katz

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I was put on seroquel for sleep 8 years ago. My dosage has skyrocketed, and its not working even at my very high dose, in fact, it is starting to paradox. The side effects are horrendous. It is not a good sleep medication. dependency happens quickly, and you have to taper off. I thinkit's better to have insomnia (i havnt slept , even on serowquel in 3 nights) than to introduce another  dangerous addictive medication.

I took it for a few months. I think it helped some with wd symptoms but I'm not sure.. I stopped taking it a couple of months ago. I find these kind of medications strange. The effects are so subtle it can as well be placebo. 

I also took mirtazapine, same there..to subtle to be sure if it really did something. I took various doses but mostly on the the small side.

But others can have a totally other experiences. 

Take care 😊

• Like 1

I’m on low dose mirtazapine 7.5mg. It helps me get to sleep but does not keep me asleep most days. Wake up in the wee hours. I also take CBD/CBN with it but even then I still wake up early. 

On 16/09/2024 at 09:12, [[P...] said:

I’m on low dose mirtazapine 7.5mg. It helps me get to sleep but does not keep me asleep most days. Wake up in the wee hours. I also take CBD/CBN with it but even then I still wake up early. 

Glad you're not taking the Seroquel. To me, it was terrifying.

• Like 1

@[Po...] a bit of THC added to the CBN/CBD helps keep me asleep. MJ dispensaries sell THC gummies . . . usually they are 10 mgs. I cut mine up into quarters and find that the addition of 2.5 mg of THC really helps. Oh, I buy Indica THC gummies. Indica is the best for "couch lock".:classic_wink:

Katz

• Like 2

Yes I’m definitely shying away from seroquel. For one it’s really a big no no if you have AFib which I am prone to. But then numerous ADs are a potential trigger for AFib or other arrhythmias. My biggest challenges are anxiety & poor sleep. They both feed each other. No good choices for me unfortunately. 

On 28/08/2024 at 10:46, [[o...] said:

@[Po...] I did a very short experimental course of Seroquel for insomnia and I have to tell you it worked like a charm. At only 12.5mgs (half the lowest dose) it put me right out. BUT BUT BUT the next day s/x were awful. I felt like a zombie, and as the day wore on I got terrible nausea. Anyhow like a doofus I tried it again the next night. It didn't put me out as dramatically as the first night AND I was awakened with a "nausea attack" at 3 a.m. Jeez Louise. So no more Seroquel for me. I'll go back to CBD and CBN gummies with a bit of THC thrown in.

Apparently hundreds of folks (reviews on Drugs.com) really like it at a low dose (12.5 mgs) for insomnia, but I couldn't tolerate it. Sad.

Hope this helps,

Katz

We are all Benzo damaged, so our reactions and vulnerabilities seem unique. Many of us are hyper-sensitive to even seemingly benign substances. Tylenol revs me up pretty fiercely now. I never imagined that could be possible.

In my case, Seroquel was a "high octane" nightmare.

• Like 1

Tall Girl thanks for the feedback. Based on comments by you and others here ive  veered off from Seroquel. I struggle a lot with sleep even after being off Xanax a long time. I think 20 years of having been on a benzo has made my brain super sensitive still to this day. I do the CBD/CBN thing too but even that is no panacea for me. 
pokey 

@[Po...] CBN and CBD  did not work for me very well for sleep either, until I added a bit of THC to the mixture. Now I sleep pretty well!

Katz

I cant handle THC. It makes me very anxious. I was told it could go either way. I hoped for the other way, but it was not to be :o(

• 3 weeks later...

Seroquel is a weird one for me. It did sort of work for sleep but first off, I'd have nightmares and end up on the floor. Get banged up too. Secondly, the side effects were awful. I'd wake up in a haze, body flu pain, lousy mood, tired and listless. Now I take Baclofen but it's weird too and addictive. So now that's on the list. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, [[C...] said:

Seroquel is a weird one for me. It did sort of work for sleep but first off, I'd have nightmares and end up on the floor. Get banged up too. Secondly, the side effects were awful. I'd wake up in a haze, body flu pain, lousy mood, tired and listless. Now I take Baclofen but it's weird too and addictive. So now that's on the list. 

Seroquel did REALLY weird things to me, too! I woke up terrified and didn't know where I was! Or barely knew WHO I was! I couldn't remember where my light switch was...it was HORRIBLE! That's when I parted company with Seroquel. 

Edited by [Ta...]
  • Like 2

On 25/09/2024 at 13:43, [[P...] said:

I cant handle THC. It makes me very anxious. I was told it could go either way. I hoped for the other way, but it was not to be :o(

I tried something new last night. I was watching videos on Facebook, when there was an ad for this expensive magnesium spray for the bottoms of your feet. It's supposed to help with sleep.

Instead, I made a very warm (almost hot) Epsom salt footbath with essential oils and bubbles! I put two scoops of Epsom salt (magnesium) in the water, and soaked my feet for 30 minutes. There was a lovely rosemary/mint fragrance in the bathroom, and I lit a candle. So, basically a painless experience. I got VERY sleepy.

Slept like a rock from 10 til 4. A solid six hours! I woke up feeling really surprised that I had slept so soundly. 

I will try it again tonite.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, [[T...] said:

Seroquel did REALLY weird things to me, too! I woke up terrified and didn't know where I was! Or barely knew WHO I was! I couldn't remember where my light switch was...it was HORRIBLE! That's when I parted company with Seroquel. 

Right, I fell out of bed then thought I'd crashed in someone's house as if I was still in the dream. Was at night and I had broken my ankle. 

And with Baclofen, I was in the bathroom, was distressed that I needed a cold glass of water. Couldn't understand that I need only go to the kitchen, get ice water. My wife got worried and called the police. They put me in cuffs and questioned me my name, date, location etc to which I could not answer. I was trembling and pouring sweat. Took me to the mental health unit. 1 of 4 times similar circumstances. 

I really get scared of cracking up, is a constant worry.

1 hour ago, [[C...] said:

Right, I fell out of bed then thought I'd crashed in someone's house as if I was still in the dream. Was at night and I had broken my ankle. 

And with Baclofen, I was in the bathroom, was distressed that I needed a cold glass of water. Couldn't understand that I need only go to the kitchen, get ice water. My wife got worried and called the police. They put me in cuffs and questioned me my name, date, location etc to which I could not answer. I was trembling and pouring sweat. Took me to the mental health unit. 1 of 4 times similar circumstances. 

I really get scared of cracking up, is a constant worry.

Yes, we have to be so diligent about taking care of ourselves, and gentle with ourselves, too. So many, many, times I have gone in a certain direction seeking help for myself, and the doctors only offer drugs, like Seroquel. Lyrica was another nightmare experience for me.

I'm now concentrating on the basics, like eating well, exercising, and building myself up spiritually. I like Buddhism, practicing kindness, and mindful meditation. I like the person of Jesus and His ability to heal, and care about people. So I concentrate on those things.

So sorry for what you have been thru. These drugs are like a torture chamber in a bottle. Slowly, bit by bit, you will heal and build yourself up. Every day, a little healing happens, even if we don't realize it at the moment. All the best to you. 🌷

Eileen

Edited by [Ta...]

I took it for a few months and it's effect is very subtle (for me). I think it worked as the akathisia and vomiting i had in accute vanished. I didn't notice anything bad when i stopped it.

But this experience can be exactly the opposite if you ask someone else.